New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Is this normal for playing a bard?

So first session playing a skulls and shackles campaign. I have a 16 dex, 20 charisma bard. They have swim speed and such, so the reason they are not trying to escape is because these pirates kidnapped him and he is going to make this their problem. So first day of doing stuff, snuck into quartermaster's room, looked for something personally valuable, couldn't find anything, so I settled for taking her undergarments. Then I successfully sleight of handed them into the cook's pocket. (23, 19, 19 on stealths and sleight). Cook and Quartermaster are friendly, and while i don't know the exact relationship, I'm hoping this starts ****.

Second thing is that their is an influence mechanic, where you are supposed to diplomacy/relevant skill check to make people your friends to help you in revolt. Except, we are doing the days in sets between events, and I went last. So 6 turns of actions (3x2) happened before I got to do an influence check. All of the obvious character introductions got taken by the other players. Ended up having to talk to some random person whose sole character trait was "doesn't wear shoes" and was pretty much a stone wall to talk to, so I flirted with them making innuendoes off of what they said, rolled a 32 diplomacy, and DM said "fade to black". Still have a day/turn left before the event happened. Stealing, planting, and diplomacy happened in one turn.

Am I barding correctly?
    Last edited by mehs; 2020-09-19 at 11:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is this normal for playing a bard?

You're barding hilariously. If I were the DM, I'd have no problem with it.

Still, keep your eyes opened. I can see this becoming a problem if you take it too far or if the game was meant to be more serious in tone. Trolling NPCs is great. Trolling your GM and fellow players is less so unless you have that sort of relationship.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign