Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Orphaned or on-hiatus webcomics you'd love to see continued

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooooh, let's see.

There is Galaxion. Which was a pity since it was a decently well thought out comic about space explorers who actually care about doing a good job (rather than just sleeping with the natives like Kirk).

Then there is Dumnestor's Heroes, which I don't think is anywhere anymore. The same author also wrote The Interstellar Tea House and abandoned it too a few years later. There was another she abandoned at the same time as Dumnestor's Heroes, but I can't remember its name. They were all interesting in their way.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Elf Only Inn", but then again it was always rather weird. It got really weird at the end and I guess the author just never figured out where to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Gone With The Blastwave never really had a schedule, as such - it was a side-project that grew so popular that I never really knew what the artist's main project was. Funny, in a depressing kind of way - apparently I had a thing of black comedy back in the Noughties.

It's hardly dead, it's just resting. The author put up a new page just last month, although it's a one-off and not a continuation of the main story, which hasn't updated in... over a year? Still, the slow, erratic updates are part of the charm.

Personally, I'd like to see Polymer City Chronicles return.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Head Trip would be nice to see start up again...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not sure if orphaned or revived or maybe even finished ... Copper is a whimsical non-continuous comic about a boy, his dog and their imagination, from Kazu Kibuishi, creator of Amulet, Daisy Kutter and Flight. Each episode is pretty much stand-alone and drawn in a beautiful page. It used to update once a month, then went on hiatus for a while. The webpage says it started updating again in 2017, but since there are no release dates there for any of the comics, I can't actually tell how long that lasted. There's apparently a printed collection, but I don't know how many of them are in there. And going back and reading, I can't actually tell which ones are from before the hiatus and which are after. But it's beautiful! Go read it.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ava's Demon is back, baby! Not a huge surprise, as has been discussed upthread, but still enough to make me happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I think Rob started falling in love with the world he had created (which, to be fair, was pretty cool) and decided that everyone would be interested in exploring every nook and cranny of it.
    I disagree that Rob was exploring every nook and cranny of the world building. What he decided to explore was Magic Links. The volcano was cool, but linking became far too common, and used way too much for power escalation, which led to the sentient towers, which became the new escalation method after all the thinkamancers croaked.

I'm a big fan of all the world building that has nothing to do with links. It's even been my pet project to work on making an RPG/wargame out of it (something Rob specifically asked fans to do).

I lost all my information after Erfworld went into lock down, but I recently got access to my old rules, and I copied them down to another website.

I've worked out the system of how units are created, how basic combat goes on, how to work mass combat, how specials work. All sorts of things, and it all fits extremely well with canon. Currently, I'm working on a city builder and writing down how sides work. I've put a lot of work into the thing, and it's well over 50k words at this point.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...719815/reader/
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2020-09-26 at 02:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

the website seems to be down, so i can't even link it, but "Jack of all blades" (later "Jacq of all blades") was a fun one that i enjoyed but sadly dropped off right at the climax of two giant shape-shifting goo monsters fighting eachother.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I disagree that Rob was exploring every nook and cranny of the world building. What he decided to explore was Magic Links. The volcano was cool, but linking became far too common, and used way too much for power escalation, which led to the sentient towers, which became the new escalation method after all the thinkamancers croaked.
    Alright, fine, a specific subset of the world. My point was that the focus shifted from a specific story told in fictive world to the world itself.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlackDragon

In fairness, you reached the point where if you did not risk a link, you lacked the power level needed to compete. Parson raised the stakes for nation survival, so now power levels go up.

It does not help that we then find out that the Thinkamancers actually know more about linking than has been publicized, and apparently can do it safely, so now we have a massive power level increase and potential risk of disclosure of "serious state secrets".

Erfworld was, put simply, one massive power level jump after another. The Thinkamancers wanted to change things, so they gave a scroll to Wanda/Stanley that would change things up by bringing in a new player. This resulted in Gobwin Knoll doing things differently, completely changing the terrain of 7 hexes, becoming the focus of what was otherwise an "Independent, all of Erfworld serving agency" into a focused-on-one-group massive force, which then resulted in more power growth.

You went from 100's, if not a thousand different sides, to two main sides -- and power levels going up on both sides. With the Thinkamancers trying to be a third side, only to be mostly wiped out as a side, and finally reduced to just a bunch of semi-independents.

Looking back, it all boils down to one bad decision made by the fool (Jack). When he could have had a serious negotiation with the other side on being defeated, Jack assured him that it would just be a false negotiation. Later, Jack decided to take action that wrecked Parson's plans.

Parson was so different that Jack's behavior went from "normal, helpful", to "the cause of everything that happened after that".
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Welp, just read another one. With the Halloween season upon us, I started reading Shifters Redux, a comic about werewolves and vampires. The art's pretty good, and the story was interesting, but the last page was posted in December, 2018. Still, it has apparently come back from hiatuses before, so maybe it will again. This makes me 0 for 2 with werewolf webcomics being on hiatus.

EDIT: Okay, couldn't sleep last night, so I also read the entire pre-reboot comic Shifters: The Beast Within. Wow is the pacing totally different! The original goes through plot beats so fast I regularly thought I was somehow skipping pages. This improves a lot after the first few chapters, but those first few... Ambushed by vampires! Vampires are real! Your best friend's a werecat! Now you've been bitten by the vampires, and are transforming! All that happens in three pages (and not long pages either) without any setup beforehand. I definitely prefer the Redux's willingness to take its time, build up tension, and show what's happening. The Beast within does have its strengths too, though; for starters it's a lot longer, making it through way more arcs and ending on something that's at least kind of like a narrative stopping point. I also like the very Alucard-esque design for Maverick (though I wish they'd clarified what the hell he was at some point) and to a lesser extent John.

I guess technically I'm 0 for 3 now, too.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-10-28 at 08:26 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I miss User Friendly. It didn't have massive story lines or try to be this massive magnum opus. It was just a daily 3-panel comic strip that was a slightly geekier take on Dilbert. I especially appreciated the tech support calls since I've done that job and dealt with the truly technologically impaired. Easy reading and good for a giggle.

The author keeping re-runs going still keeps me hopeful that he will someday return to it, even though realistically it's not likely. He stopped updating 10 years ago, if he was going to return to it he would have done so by now.
    Another vote for User Friendly. Got into this one back in the heady days when I was doing Help Desk/Network Engineering and so many of the strips were right on the mark. :)

13. - Top - End - #43

PaladinGuy

Endstone was an incredibly fantastic, if little known, webcomic. Professional-grade art, funny jokes, interesting storylines and characters. Sadly cancelled in 2019, halfway through a new story arc after the first overarching arc had been resolved.

Quoting from the about page... Endstone is the story of a family of stoners… those special few who are born with the ability to wield or “rock” magical stones that grant unique, fantastical powers such as flight or super-speed for example.

Kyri Thunderhead is not only a simple deer from the forests of Pennsylvania but also a kick-ass martial artist. Her human mate, Jon Montaine, is a powerful stoner with an archaic knowledge of mortgage backed securities and stock derivatives. Their daughter, Colindra, is a temperamental teenager who, when not worrying about fashion, can transform into a terrible dragon. And Pablo Montaine, the undead yet jovial patriarch of the clan, is literally the skeleton in the family closet.

Together they must keep a fantastical, post-apocalyptic world safe from demons, gods, and evil stoners. But is it a world worth saving

(Also, Kyri Thunderhead isn't literally a deer, but a member of a humanoid people who call themselves "deer" - actual deers have gone extinct, similarly to wolves, dogs and, possibly, other animals.)

The world is fascinating and interesting, a post-apocalyptic USA with lots of strange going-ons and "corrupted" pop-culture (Elvis is the King of the Gods! The Presidents are worshipped as gods! Ninja-nuns!), the magic system is simple but interesting, and I loved every one of the characters. I would have loved to see where the new story was going to head, especially since it ended on a pretty big cliffhanger.
    Last edited by Silly Name; 2020-12-24 at 09:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really miss The Last Halloween. Great horror-apocolypse story, and it seems like the author just lost interest. She's doing other webcomics and other creative work, so it's especially frustrating that she doesn't update the one that got her attention in the first place.

I also miss Erfworld, but I have to agree the story was just all over the place and it would have been much much better if he'd kept the focus on Parson and Jillian.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Brathala was a nice comic about Odin and Frigg raising most of the rest of the pantheon as kid-godlings (including Loki. It's complicated). They do godlike things, they do kidlike things. They occasionally look in on adult gods, and even the eye that Odin sacrificed to the well of wisdom. It was fun

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Manly men doing manly thing was a noce comic mostly about video game characters being nice and friendly. Wholesome stuff.

Mostly.

Edit: it also has a pokémon trainer use the fish one as a blunt weapon until it evolves into the dragon one.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-03 at 03:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Angels 2200 was one I enjoyed back in the day. All-female space opera. It had a tortured production existence, with one creator evidently dropping off the face of the earth, and being continued by another. For its last couple of years it sputtered out a few more erratic updates and then finally died right at a cliffhanger.

Angry D. Monkey was an enjoyable bit of weirdness, which also ended right as the main character was about to start The Big Fight.

Two that might still possibly spring back to life at some point are Accidental Centaurs and Derelict.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    I really miss The Last Halloween. Great horror-apocolypse story, and it seems like the author just lost interest. She's doing other webcomics and other creative work, so it's especially frustrating that she doesn't update the one that got her attention in the first place.
    I knew it was an orphaned webcomic, but even then, your description convinced me to give it a shot. I mean, how can I say no to "horror-apocolypse story"

And man, I'm so sorry this never got a proper conclusion. I mean, in my opinion, the first book was better than the second one, but that may have something to do with the fact that the second one never got a proper conclusion.

When was the last comic posted? How would one contact Abby? I would merely like to politely ask if there's *any* chance in the Nine Hells for her to give this another shot
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Apparently, Dr. Frost (the story of a psychologist himself incapable of feeling most emotions, kinda like Sherlock Holmes meets CARL) is updating again! My understanding is that it wasn't really abandoned in the first place, just that the final season wasn't available for English readers. Since I haven't actually caught up to that point yet, I don't know yet whether this is the final season getting translated and added to Webtoons, or whether the whole story is getting an extension, but figured it was worth posting here either way.
    Optimization Trophies

20. - Top - End - #50

Moonlight Apparition is apparently updating again, and it is now hosted independently after the death of Smackjeeves.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Angels 2200 was one I enjoyed back in the day. All-female space opera. It had a tortured production existence, with one creator evidently dropping off the face of the earth, and being continued by another. For its last couple of years it sputtered out a few more erratic updates and then finally died right at a cliffhanger.
    Oh man, there's one I really liked, with a lot of 'except for...'s. In particular it was an all-female strip written by guys who I didn't feel really understood women very well. That said, the overall story was pretty good, and mined deeply from one of my favorite 90s sci fi series, Space, Above and Beyond (including a few of the things I think that series did poorly). Another one of those with a lot of potential, and mixed implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazofftopic View Post
    Brathala was a nice comic about Odin and Frigg raising most of the rest of the pantheon as kid-godlings (including Loki. It's complicated). They do godlike things, they do kidlike things. They occasionally look in on adult gods, and even the eye that Odin sacrificed to the well of wisdom. It was fun
    Oh man there was some good stuff there. I think the author didn't know where they wanted to go with it, but I sure wish it had least wrapped up with an ending.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

get dunked on lol

Epic avatar by linkele

Currently DMing: Curse of (super sexy) Strahd

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are reading this, then you have some serious dedication.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georger0171 View Post
    To be fair, that one does update from time to time. The author just stops the clock calendar between updates so new comics are on time according to the original schedule.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    To be fair, that one does update from time to time. The author just stops the clock calendar between updates so new comics are on time according to the original schedule.
    Wait, so if he had a monday, wednesday, friday schedule and he last posted Friday September 1st, then when he uploads a new file it goes in Monday September 4th? That is messed up.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Wait, so if he had a monday, wednesday, friday schedule and he last posted Friday September 1st, then when he uploads a new file it goes in Monday September 4th? That is messed up.
    Yep. It makes it really hard to remember where one is.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yep. It makes it really hard to remember where one is.
    The googles has failed me. I was going to post a picture of Shepherd Book saying "special".
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cptnspldng View Post
    HTML Code:
    https://abominable.cc/
    The Abominable Charles Christopher is a beautiful series but unfortunately, the creator has to direct his main energies to making a living as opposed to keeping it going for general consumption.

-Sorry if I haven't presented the link properly.
    Good news, there were two new posts in January 2021! I didn't see a news item, so I don't know if he has time to get back to the main story, but it is good to see he has not forgotten the project.

- part real, part imaginary -

28. - Top - End - #58

The author of [un]Divine has recently announced that the comic will cease regular updates. The story is about an angsty teenager who summons a demon to help him with his school work. The writing is really good and I really enjoyed reading the comic, so I'm sad to see it stop, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend reading it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Two Guys And Guy was hilarious while it was running. I should binge that again...

EDIT: Gag-a-day strip, not storyline, in case you were interested
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-01-23 at 02:54 AM.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60

Monster's Garden has returned from hiatus after more than a year This isn't even the first time it's come back after more than a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2021-01-23 at 11:19 PM.