New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Spider Smashers

Gripping the ball of grass, Iriander takes another breath. He'll have to talk about it sometime, with someone. And finding someone else wondering about it is a massive relief, in some ways.

"When I beat the quest, there was a blast of white light for what felt like forever, then it immediately cut to black so fast I thought the game had broken. Then, when I clicked 'Yes' to 'Make myself anew', as it said, it felt like I was turned inside out, I heard colors and felt like I was being drained like a tube of toothpaste.

"So I c-can...I...I can believe that I d...died somehow,"
    he says, forcing it out through gritted teeth. "Some sort of 'ghost in the machine' would make as much sense as anything right now, yeah. I've watched anime and read books where people are dragged into fantasy worlds, so if we want to get really out there, then we could even be in a whole other world or universe.

"I haven't left the forest yet. Maybe there'll be somewhere, someone, that we can get more information about this from."
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, I made some mistakes while leveling and Siri mentioned powerful casters and highly skilled professionals can help rebuild and retrain. If they can alter the reality like that..."

Ssrask let out a sigh as he watched the elf attempt to heal the tree.

"I’m not super upset about it. I wasn’t a fan in my prior life, but it was a pretty bland existence, looking back."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    "Navi, how does one drain the Core to gain the experience held within?"[/COLOR] he asks his own blue fairy.
    Hey! Listen! Listen, Iriander!
    To absorb the Experience from a core, you simply hold it in your hand and will the Experience into yourself!

While his Personal Assistant talks, Iriander channels his druidic magic into the tree. The green striations retreat, and putrid toxins seep from the spider bites. The tree hasn't fully recovered, but you get the sense that it's been healed enough to recover on its own at this point.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander pats the tree trunk, feeling mildly satisfied. "Okay. Hopefully it should be able to recover on its own now."

He turns back to Ssrask. "I'm out of spell slots for now, and Berserker's a bit weakened on Strength. I think it'd be worth considering going back to our home bases to rest, then return after at full strength to find other corrupted spiders.

"I'm a little wary of using the Core right now. I don't mean to use you as a guinea pig, but you can use this one if you want, but I call the next one,"
    he finishes with a friendly grin.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

"I’m ok with it. Doing is one of the best methods for learning."

Ssrask held out a claw for the core. Once he had it, he closed his hand and willed it to be absorbed.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Ssrask stares at the Beast Core in his hand for several long moments before it shatters and dissolves into useless dust.

Almost instantly, he loses consciousness and falls over backwards onto the ground. As his head bounces on impact, he slowly regains awareness, dazed for several minutes by the violent process.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-08-21 at 01:10 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

“Ufgh... that’s what she meant by needing someone.”

Ssrask sat up and opened his sheet. As he inspected it for changes, he called on his assistant. The process had just created so many questions.

“Hey Siri, what does applying Cores do to each of the given options?”

He rubbed his head and looked up at the elf. “Scary as hell man, but the possibilities... unreal.”
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 07:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Hey! Listen!
    Draining a core and absorbing its cultivated Experience through any method will cause the user to also absorb some or all of the Corruption stored within the core. This is inevitable; however, Corruption can be cycled out of the user's system in the usual ways.
    Absorbing cultivated Experience directly transfers that which is stored in the core directly into the user's core. Some of the cultivated Experience will be lost in this process.
    Enhancing one's Abilities will increase the user's Ability Scores based on the the Ability Scores of the creature which produced the core. This is known to occasionally have unexpected physical and mental side effects.
    Enhancing a Class Feature allows the user to improve a skill set that is shared with the beast from which the core was harvested.
    Acquiring a feat allows the user to gain one or more feats possessed by the creature when its core was harvested. The feats gained are somewhat random and may be useless to the user.
    Applying the core towards Rebuilding allows a user to make changes to previous Character Selections, but this is known to be very dangerous and have unpredictable side effects without proper precautions.
    Merging a core with a personal core can grant the user a number of traits and abilities related to the merged core. This is known to be the most immediately beneficial but also the most potentially dangerous option, as it is irreversible and will often limit potential long term growth.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

“Thanks, Siri. Um... what are the usual ways to cycle corruption out of my system?”

Ssrask stood up and brushed himself off. He showed his teeth toward Iriander. While it was meant to be a smile, the heavy scaling of his facial structure probably made it look more like a snarl.

“So... I accomplished rebuilding... sort of. I basically just deleted the level. Now I need to see if I can fill it back in.”

Ssrask opened his sheet and went to the leveling options.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 11:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

When Ssrask had suddenly fallen unconscious, Iriander belatedly rushed to try and catch him. Having missed that, he helps the lizardfolk back to his feet or into a comfortable position.

“Yeesh, that looked rough. Maybe we’ll just hold onto the Cores for now. Hell, High Priestess Faelyn would probably be able to give us some advice on how to use the Cores more safely. I’ll ask her the next time I see her.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 03:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Hey! Listen!
    You seem to be asking about Cultivation!
    Let me help you with that!
    Cultivation is the process by which an individual absorbs energy from the world, stores it within themselves, and uses it to strengthen or enhance their body and soul. The ultimate goal of most cultivators is to attain a state of immortality.
    Various cultivation techniques are available, but most are kept secret by the organizations and masters who developed them.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    You both get an extra 100 experience for cool roleplay that I enjoyed reading.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"I thought it was just about powering up a character... it seems like it's a thing for the entire world. Immortality is a pretty lofty thing."

He tilted his head slightly as Iriander made his statement.

"You have a high priest? Like here in the forest? Wait... is she at the big tree, or the skeleton ruins?" He pointed in one direction for the large ominous tree, and the other way for the ruins with the skeletons.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander nods emphatically. “Yeah, yeah, like I said—everyone seems to run on game mechanics here. Priestess Faelyn guessed I had enough exp to level up once and told me to do so.”

He seems to realize there’s some missing info, and gives a sheepish chuckle. “At the giant tree—she worships the giant tree, actually. The tree is actually a minor deity called The Mother whose domain is this forest, and its plants and animals. I didn’t realize what she was at first and said out loud that the tree was where either a good or bad witch lived. She didn’t appreciate that, so she gave me the choice to serve as a devotee of hers or get squished real good and serve as fertilizer.”

Iriander winces at the memory of being held in a giant tree’s roots. “I preferred not to die, so I swore myself to her. It hasn’t been all that bad, really; I got a feat that boosted my Wisdom, and gave bonuses to Nature and Survival, and gave me access to Druid. She only had the High Priestess right before, so I doubled her following, haha.”

“I hadn’t encountered skeleton ruins yet. Man, there’s so much extra now—this area was a starting zone, wasn’t for people higher leveled than 3 or so.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 03:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ugh... yeah, definitely waiting on using any of those again. I'm pretty sure I messed things up worse than they were. I've got green spots on my sheet now and the order of levels is messed up."

He held his stomach, feeling woozy.

"On top of that, I actually lost experience and the feats I selected at level 1 look like they're stuck."

Ssrask gave a frustrated growl.

"If you want to come back tomorrow, I'm good with that. My resting point is way back in the mountains beyond the field, so it'll take me awhile to get back here."
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 03:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander winces. "Damn. We should've asked someone before we used it; sorry, man. I'll check with Faelyn and see if she knows what we can do to maybe fix that. Maybe resting will help heal some of it?"

He blinks in a flash of thought. "My hideout's in the valley before the mountain. What do you say we meet tomorrow a little after dawn where the valley meets the forest? Oh, and have you drank the liquid in your hideout's pool? It's a super buff, twenty-five percent extra xp gain."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

He nodded. "Yeah, I've been doing that and eating the rabbits that I've killed, but those are getting pretty scarce... probably a direct result of closing the rabbit dungeons. I think the remaining three are probably located on the other side of the forest. I haven't seen any rabbits out here, and I doubt they're in the swamp..."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

“Well, I’ve got the Survival to forage for food if you need help on that end, and the Mother lets me take a single fruit from her garden once a day that keeps me fed for hours. Since you’re helping her by ridding the forest of the corrupted spiders, I can petition her to try and get you a fruit per day too.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

He dipped his head in thanks. "I appreciate the help. I don't think our patrons would particularly mesh well, yet they don't really clash either. When you accepted her offer, did it push your alignment in a certain direction?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

He takes a second to consider, but Iriander ends up shrugging. “Not noticeably, no. No popups, anyway.”

He pulls up his sheet quickly and checks his alignment. “Huh, the game has me as Neutral. Makes sense, since Druids have to be some flavor of Neutral.”

Putting his sheet away, he nods. “Anything else you may need? Oh, and who is your patron, if I may ask?”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Ssrask shrugged. "Honestly, I don't know it's name. The great dragon patrons all offered their pact and I selected White. It pushed my alignment to chaotic, but the philosophical view was the most open and the most simple: Fight. Kill. Loot."

"Truly great tenets to live by. That and I've always loved winters... in my old life, I guess."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander nods. “The cold Aura makes much more sense now, for sure. Seems it’s a short step from that to murderhobo-ing, though, no offense. But yeah, it doesn’t seem like our patrons would be at odds.”

The reminder of their uncertain state brings out the melancholy in his voice. “I hope my parents didn’t take it too hard, if I actually...actually am...”

He can’t finish the thought, and he brushes away a tear just as it starts to fall. “Anyway.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know what that means... murderhobo?"

Ssrask paused for a minute, pondering his own demise. "So you lived with your parents? I'm afraid I probably ended up as one of those gross stories about the apartment neighbors complaining about the smell..." He winced at the thought.

He reached out and gave the elf a pat on the shoulder. "On the upside, we might not even be in the same boat. You had accomplished something in the game that triggered your creation. My game... just broke." He shrugged slightly, at a loss for a better way of describing it.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

“Oh, ‘murderhobo’ is a game term for a player who kills, loots, then moves on to the next fighting and looting. So-called because they just move from place-to-place with no home—hobo—and because they tend to solve all their problems with violence, even against other players.” He thinks back to jumping into a fight between a wolf and a Basher and chuckles. “Granted, sometimes I don’t think before I fight. But I try to be rational about it.”

“Oh, I didn’t live with my parents. But I was gonna start my new job the next morning, and they’d want to hear all about it after. So if I didn’t pick up the phone, they’d get worried, and visit, and f-find me dead.” He’s already tearing up again thinking about it, but gives a thankful smile at the other man’s gesture.

“I-I mean, I’m not sure how much the game discriminates on that point,” he says, trying hard not to sniffle. “I had, like, a full-blown panic attack, and the most empathy I got was getting the Personal Assistant. I’d bet there’s some in-game benefit you can get for how you were offered the restart. Or maybe your previous character could’ve influenced your current choices.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

"So like every video game ever?"

Ssrask nodded in agreement to the idea about starting differently. "There were random dice right when I started, and I had a single minor boon during the creation. Was yours different?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander wiggles his hand in a “yes-no” gesture. “I mean, you’re not wrong. And sure, adventurers in general could all be considered murderhobos. But, like, there’s a difference between playing solely for loot and killing, and making a connection with other players and making your mark on the game. Murderhobos don’t try to interact with the world, or talk with NPCs or sometimes even other players: they only care about loot, how they can get it and who they can get it from.”

He stops himself and offers another apologetic grimace. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to preach at you. I just love games for the stories they offer, and playing just to fight and loot seems like such a waste.“

He nods to the mention of boons. “Yeah, I actually got a Greater Boon. I used it on my Race and flipping guess what? One of the options would’ve let me be a damn dungeon Core. Like, what?” He laughs out loud, partly wanting to get the melancholy out of his mind.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

"How would that even work? Like you’re stuck in a dungeon fighting people that come to raid it? What happens if people win... uh... are the cores we’re collecting from living players that fully corrupted?"

Ssrask suddenly feels very bad about breaking the core they had looted.

"Our starts we’re definitely different. I only had lizardfolk, human, elf, and dwarf as racial choices. I applied my minor boon to race too, picking dragonkin. What kind of elf did you end up with by using your boon?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

“Right??????” Iriander somehow conveys the usage of multiple question marks. Must be the level in Bard. “The Information specified that if your dungeon were too difficult, then pissed off adventurers would actively seek out your Core for its power. I guess that means a Dungeon Core doesn’t die when it’s cleared.”

“I...hadn’t thought about that, though,” he says, face taking on a wide-eyed look. “I sincerely hope there aren’t so many real people playing that that has a chance of happening.”

“I got a choice of five elf subraces and went with High Elf/Nymph-blooded. So I’m closer to being a Fey than a normal elf. Also, apparently the five subraces are innately hostile to each other, which sucks majorly.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"I’ve met two others that were for sure players... uh, hey, I’m not up to snuff on my fantasy world lore, but aren’t nymphs like... the sexy ones?"

Ssrask gasped in mock shock.

"Are you one of those role players?"
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 05:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

“I joined a party with two others I think might’ve been real people. And I mean, yeah, nymphs are the—wh-what???”

If Iriander were drinking he’d have done a spit take. He turns a bit red around the cheeks and ears, and his hands fly all over the place as he responds. “O-of course not! J-just because I was a bard in my past life, and so maybe played the player part up for funsies...and the party I was in earlier was with two women...and I almost walked in on my mentor while she was bathing by accident...”

Iriander smacks his forehead and groans. “Why does my video game life read as a poorly-written pervy-comedy anime?”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-21 at 05:35 PM.