New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Spider Smashers

"Your first few days were way more exciting than mine! Is this high priestess a cutie?"

Ssrask laughed.

"Consider this... if you’re a ghost in the machine, creeper cybersex isn’t cybersex... it’s just your regular sex. I think. What do I know, I picked a dragon because it looked badass." He shrugged.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 05:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander laughs along, still chagrined. “More exotic than cute, I’d say. Definitely cuter when she’s blushing, though. Probably still wouldn’t say no if she were up for it, and it would possibly qualify me for Nymph’s Kiss.”

A thought occurs to him. “Wait...if I were Good aligned, would being in a romantic relationship with me make them eligible for the Nymph’s Kiss feat?” he asks, his tone a cross between amused and surprised.

He shakes his head. “Anyway, picking something because it’s badass is as good a reason as any. I’ll be looking forward to how awesome you look at later levels.”
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

"Even weirder... if you have a relationship with yourself... you know..." He made a hand motion. "Do you qualify yourself with yourself? Easiest relation to maintain ever!"

Ssrask stretched his wings and extended his claws in preparation for climbing the tree to glide toward the glade.

"Speaking of changing looks, I should probably get to gettin’ if I’m going to make it to my cave and get a full rest so I can rebind my soulmelds. I don’t know much about the game, but I can tell you one thing. Fly. It makes all the real pain and panic attacks and uncertain choices worth it. I’ll see you bright and early. Don’t forget to ask your erotic err... exotic high priestess about using or fixing the cores."
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-08-21 at 06:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander literally palms his face with both hands. He didn’t even know where to begin with that.

The flying, though...

“I can give Berserker a Flight evolution, then an evolution to transfer a power to me...”

It’d take a lot of resources, but he could absolutely fly. Wouldn’t that be awesome.

“Sounds good. See you tomorrow, then!” With that, he turns and gathers up the materials they’d looted and starts heading for the Mother’s Grove.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

The next morning the white-scaled dragonkin entered the forest once more. He pondered taking to the trees to avoid unnecessary attacks by animals, but decided he could use the warm-up.

He quickly found his party member, lifting a clawed hand in a wave of greeting. One of four arms now.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-09-02 at 02:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander raises a hand in return. "So Faelyn wasn't at the grove, but the Mother gave me this," he says, holding out an acorn the size of his fist. Liquid sloshes within, and they both can smell a faint scent of Pine-Sol cleaner. "I tried Inspecting it, but got nothing. You wouldn't happen to have ranks in Knowledge (Religion), would you?"

Berserker and Ash are both flanking Iriander, as normal.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, no. Sorry." Ssrask sniffed the acorn. It smelt like when his mother would make surprise visits to his apartment and clean. He used to hate that. Now, there was a sentimental longing to be annoyed by her again.

He cleared his head with a shake of his head. "Well, the best way to learn is by doing. Let's clean up some more of that corruption and put your theory to the test, yeah?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

“I mean, last time we tried to learn by doing, you fell unconscious for a few minutes and conked your head on the ground. I’m gonna see if Faelyn is in the Grove so I can ask her about it.”

He leads the way to Mother’s Grove.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-09-03 at 01:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... didn't you say the first time you went to the grove, the tree almost squished you?" Ssrask was apprehensive as he followed Iriander.

"Maybe I should wait someplace else... you know, I wouldn't want to insult your god. Yeah, I could even get started scouting and clearing the way to another corrupted area..." He really didn't want to get squeezed to death by a tree. It sounded completely unpleasant, although it would allow him to meet this High Priest, if she was there...

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

“I only got almost-squished because I accidentally insulted the Mother,” he says reassuringly. “I’m honestly kinda surprised she heard me, considering how much time she spends doing god-like-stuff. I guess the area around her Grove is something she can always hear.

“Anyway, if you wanna split up, don’t let me stop you. Just try to leave a trail for me, or I can try to find you once I’m done.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-09-03 at 01:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll come with. If we separate, there's just more chance of me being overwhelmed or weakened with poison before you get there." Ssrask had decided after thinking back to the massive number of spiders that had actually come from the tree. He'd likely be killed if he stumbled into that alone.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

In the middle of the clearing is a massive, ancient oak tree. The trunk itself is 40 to 50 feet tall before even considering the huge branches. The crown of branches is more than twice that across and more than double the height of the trunk, with many branches larger than the surrounding trees. The ground is an almost smooth carpet of fallen leaves with no sign of fallen branches.

The trees in the nearby forest show signs of having been pruned back and maintained to make the clearing into a perfect circle with plenty of space between them and the oak.

On the far side of the clearing, in the sun between the oak and the distant trees, you see an expansive manicured garden filled with herbs and flowers. Though there are no obvious borders or walkways, making it look almost wild, the garden is obviously organized and maintained beyond the simple whims of nature.

Reclining in a shaded spot and reading a book near the garden is Faelyn.

Spoiler: Faelyn
    Show
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

“I’m gonna have to switch to Sylvan, since it’ll be faster for her to answer,” he says to Ssrask with an apologetic smile. Then he turns to Faelyn and begins to speak in a lilting, musical language.

At the end of his speech, he gestures to Ssrask, and then says, “Ssrask, this is High Priestess Faelyn of the Mother.”
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-09-03 at 10:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Ssrask stood still for a moment as Iriander went to make introductions. He winced internally. A majestic dragon-blooded warrior, he was not. His scaled were heavy and thick, more like an insect exoskeleton at the moment. In fact, he realized he must truly look like some kind of reptilian insect with four arms and wings. Prepared for battle, not social interaction...

Since he had no idea how to greet the woman with words, he used an action of utmost respect to show it. Putting one arm up to his chest, he bowed his head low.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-09-03 at 03:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Faelyn nods to Iriander but replies in broken Ssaralish for Ssrak's benefit.

"Greet, Ssrask."

She smiles pleasantly.

"Iriander, I know of acorn. It is potion from Mother. That is..." she lapses into Sylvan for a second.

"Apologize. I do not know right words."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I didn't get smashed by a tree or a scary elf priest. So winning? For a moment Ssrask was lost in his own thoughts.

As the priest spoke to Iriander, Ssrask focused again. "The acorn thing, is that to heal the corruption the spiders spread? Like when you prayed?"

"Does that mean she could fix the corruption that I took on too? Err... if she felt I deserved it, that is..." He sounded apologetic for automatically assuming this tree spirit would do anything at all for him.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Faelyn shrugs somewhat helplessly.

"I not know... details. The actions of Mother is not clear."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander furrows his brow in thought. “Yeah, I’m assuming it’s to use in place of my own spell slots, to heal the corruption of the trees,” he says, seeming to work it out as he speaks.

“But I doubt it’s for the corruption from the monster core. It seems like the corruption the spider causes and the Core itself are two separate things, I think.”

To Faelyn, he says, “Core inside of big spider. Core hurt Ssrask when he absorbed it. How do we use the Core safely?” If she doesn’t understand, he says something in the musical language.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

After a quick apology, Faelyn reverts entirely to Sylvan. She's just not familiar enough with Ssaralish to convey the necessary concepts.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

In response to Faelyn's explanation, Iriander gives a little chuckle. After saying somethings more in Sylvan, he turns to Ssrask.

"It seems purging the corruption, according to Faelyn, requires intensive meditation and cycling. If you want, I could ask her how cycling works, or if she knows anyone else who might know how to purge corruption? Or we could just head out to kill some spiders."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarasota tilted his head at the explanation. "My assistant mentioned cycling too... bah let’s just get this done. I’ll sort that out when it needs sorting."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good, man."

Iriander bows respectfully to Faelyn, bidding her goodbye in Sylvan. He goes over to the garden and respectfully picks what seems to be a large grape the size of his fist.

"When we get closer to the spiders, we can both eat half and get the bonus," he says to Ssrask before pocketing the giant grape.

"I guess the best way to find more spiders is to go back to the corrupted tree and go from there?" he says. He takes the lead, bringing the group back to the corrupted tree from yesterday.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Ssrask turned to leave the glade, following Iriander. He paused and turned toward the priestess, bowing his head again. "Thank you for all of the help."

Afterward, he caught back up as they headed toward the spider-infested section of the forest.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

You make your way back to the place you fought the corrupted spider, managing to avoid a couple of random encounters (unless you just really want to face them). Everything appears exactly as you left it, as if nothing was willing to disturb the area overnight.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"Just need a few minutes to try and find a trail leading to another cache of creepy-crawlies," Iriander says. He first goes to the corrupted tree, inspecting it for how much it was able to recover overnight.

Then, he inspects the area, checks where the webbing is most thick and trying to guess where it is going. "Berserker, climb a tree and try to see where else is covered in spider webs. Ssrask, you could check it out, too, if you want."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) on the tree to see how long it'll be for it to fully recover, taking 10 for 23.

Survival to Track down where the spider webbing is thickest, taking 10 for 20

Berserker climbs to the top of a tree that will support his weight with his climb speed. Spot check to find another cluster of webbing, taking 10 for 24

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will start circling out from the tree. The quest did update to add quite a few threats, so finding them should not be difficult..."

Ssrask walked out from the tree until it was just in his view. Keeping it on his right shoulder, he circled around, looking for more signs of spiders. Every 10 or 15 feet, he'd mark the closest tree with his claw. If he got completely around to his starting position without any signs, he move out until the marks he had left on the trees was just in view, keeping them on his right shoulder once more, he'd make another circle and mark trees in this ring as well.

Show

✥ Draconic Aura
    Energy - 1d6 cold
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-09-22 at 09:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

You note that there appear to be two more areas that appear similarly affected as this one was. Both are in the same general direction, with one more towards your left and the other more towards your right. Beyond them, you are unable to see enough details to make a determination.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Ssrask motioned to Iriander that he intended on going toward the right. He approached the webbed area looking for threats. It would be easier if the arachnids began attacking him so the others could flank, since his defenses were stronger.

Show

✥ Draconic Aura
    Energy - 1d6 cold
    ✥ Spot / Listen (1d20)[9] [roll] 1d20-1[/roll]
    ✥ Total Defense (standard; +4 dodge ac)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Iriander nods to Ssrask as the other man heads off in the direction of the rightmost patch. "Berserker follow a bit behind. Keep an eye on the trees for any larger spiders."

The hulking man nods, beginning to lag behind Ssrask by a dozen or so feet. Iriander and Ash follow a bit further behind. Iriander fingers one of his bits of cured leather, preparing himself to cast its protection on Berserker and Ash.

Show
    Berserker Spot: (1d20+14)[30], with 60ft Darkvision

Berserker is 10ft behind Ssrask. Iriander and Ash are 5ft behind Ssrask.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

You soon approach a clearing much like the last. In the middle is a single large tree heavily draped with webbing. Large ropes of web stretch from the central tree to the taller trees around the clearing, creating a sort of partial canopy above you. Several of the larger branches on the central tree have broken under the weight of the spiders but remain suspended in the air, held aloft by the very web that broke them. They sway dangerously with even a gentle breeze, threatening to fall and crush anything beneath them.

You spot a monstrous spider the size of a small horse crouches near the tree, holding thick strand of web connected to the sprawling web reaching out far past the clearing. You realize with a sense of dread that the minor vibrations in the web mean the large spider is almost certainly aware of you.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List