New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I'm Taking A Break From Social Media For A While

Hey everyone. I'm taking a break from social media (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) for a while because it's getting very toxic and constant drama. Also, I'm starting to get stressed by the multiple attacks by the trolls saying hurtful and nasty comments about me. So I need to take a break from it. Besides, I have more important things to do in my life than using social media for my spare time.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I'm Taking A Break From Social Media For A While

If its not any fun anymore than getting out for a while seems like a good idea
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Good for you!

I have also taken a break from social media. Well, it still lasts, after...

...8 years?

So, keep it up. Social media is its own world. Not to be confused with the real one
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    If it's not any fun anymore than getting out for a while seems like a good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Good for you!

...8 years?

So, keep it up. Social media is its own world. Not to be confused with the real one
    Thank you both for your support. I usually let it bother me but I think social media has gone way too far with all the name-calling, hurtful comments and ridiculous drama that is actually getting to me. But now I feel less stressed now and I got a lot of time to spare.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-08-19 at 10:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I wonder if this would be a bad time to point out that internet forums are also social media.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I wonder if this would be a bad time to point out that internet forums are also social media.
    Thank you for pointing that out but I don't have any problems with internet forums because they're like family to me.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out but I don't have any problems with internet forums because they're like family to me.
    I wasn't suggesting you did (nor was I suggesting you should quit here as well), I was just noting my amusement at people generalizing "social media" while on a form of social media.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wasn't suggesting you did (nor was I suggesting you should quit here as well), I was just noting my amusement at people generalizing "social media" while on a form of social media.
    I know that and I didn't say that you did.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm taking a break from social media (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) for a while because it's getting very toxic and constant drama. Also, I'm starting to get stressed by the multiple attacks by the trolls saying hurtful and nasty comments about me. So I need to take a break from it. Besides, I have more important things to do in my life than using social media for my spare time.
    I get Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. But on Youtube, is that like not engaging with comments or like plain giving up watching interesting videos on how to build cities in Cities Skylines or documentaries on WW2 battelshiips and so on? Or stop watching angry "commentators" of various stuff?

I guess basically I'm wondering where you get the social in youtube, to me it's a free tv channel with a lot of content but where I can never find exactly what I want.

Good for you!

...8 years?
    I gave Facebook a go like 7 years ago, but I soured on it and not been logged on for at least 4 years.

Unfortunately the rest of the world hasn't cottoned on. I keep missing out on stuff as I refuse to get on the social bandwagon.

Well there is social and there is social. Or as I would probably call them, asocial media. Frankly IMO neither FB, Instagram or twitter qualify as being in any way social. Asocial or even anti-social. I would also note they are effectively unmoderated, which is probably where a lot of the issues stem from.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Curses! I've been foiled...!

...did I use that phrase correctly? I'm never sure.

On the other hand, I agree with snowblizz: there are social media & social media. Some of them look like social media, walk like social media, but produce asocial behaviour.

This forum belongs firmly to the other group. That's why I do not include it in "social media".

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I guess basically I'm wondering where you get the social in youtube, to me it's a free tv channel with a lot of content but where I can never find exactly what I want.
    It works similarly to TvTropes for me. I start with a single thing I wish to learn for the day and suddenly I'm binge watching South Park's best moments.

Still, I presume youtube can turn into similar rabbit hole of terrible interpersonal relationships as any platform you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I gave Facebook a go like 7 years ago, but I soured on it and not been logged on for at least 4 years.

Unfortunately the rest of the world hasn't cottoned on. I keep missing out on stuff as I refuse to get on the social bandwagon.
    I used to be on twitter, but quickly found out it did not support the kind of conversations I like to have. 1:1 is my favourite, can't really handle the "shout into this hole and hope people hear it" approach.

I have to use Facebook. The HEMA group I belong to uses it as primary form of communication, so it's useful to keep my account. And I use messenger to talk to my wife, my sister and my RL gaming group (or its remains). Once in a while I scroll down the main thing (wall?) and am quickly reminded why I never do so.

I understand there are other social media... but I have no real reason to join.

...by the way, does Discord count as social media...?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #11

Curses! I've been foiled...!

...did I use that phrase correctly? I'm never sure.
    You did, but now I need a mustache to twirl.
    On the other hand, I agree with snowblizz: there are social media & social media. Some of them look like social media, walk like social media, but produce asocial behaviour.

This forum belongs firmly to the other group. That's why I do not include it in "social media".
    I also agree, but hey, it was funny to note.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I'm not not Twitter or Instagram. I deactivated my Facebook account about two years ago. My only remaining 'vice' is Reddit and I'm trying to get better at engaging only with the communities that don't make me want to stab things.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I'm not not Twitter or Instagram. I deactivated my Facebook account about two years ago. My only remaining 'vice' is Reddit and I'm trying to get better at engaging only with the communities that don't make me want to stab things.
    So, none of them?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

So, none of them?
    You're not wrong. I'm trying to stick more to r/[My Couple of Serious Interests] and the occasional Ask Reddit question that I have an answer for (even now someone asked "What are you above average at?" and I said "Tarantula Husbandry" and it's sparked some spirited and interesting conversation).

I'm trying to stay away from the real car wreck subreddits, the ones that I have the most intense and prurient desire to peruse, and then just feel sad after.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean I personally still have Instagram, but I only use it as a messaging app. And also to post picture of bread and drawings.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.