Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOC: New Orleans By Night II CtL

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Basically that. She might still be there if not for his help. After returning an ally that you can actually rely on to help you out sometimes is priceless. You can only rely on the people who show themselves to be reliable allies because you can't completely rely on anyone else.

Interest in the physical things is about everything that you can't do when you're an animal. It's making up for lost time. The less physical side is all about regaining memories and becoming less of a Beast as far as that is even possible now.

So she'd be trying to escape herself unsuccessfully until she met Shade. She would have been a 'guard dog' but it was really a matter of imprisoning a wild animal to guard the grounds of your estate and then mistreating it so it's angry with anyone trying to pass through.

I'll try and get a name sorted out. Most of a sheet is posted further up the thread.
    The way you described your character made me think of a Beast Playmate - some childish (for one of the Gentry) Keeper that wanted a new 'friend', after a subjective length of time, said playmate was tossed into a kennel (so to speak) cuz Keeper got bored and got a new Playmate.... I can imagine some sort of very spoiled princess here.

But hey a guardian that was more or less made savage so ANYONE would be a potential target is functional as well.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's because I've been reading the Werewolf book. I suppose I could pick Playmate for the kith blessing to make her more of a face. And it would make her more amoral, which might play into the motley a little better.

She would have to have been discarded for long enough that she's mostly angry about it now rather than sad. I wasn't really interested in the dog left out in the rain description from the book. If she is sad she'll do her best not to show it.

Getting people to like her is still something that she used to be very good at so charming people comes easily. It would also mean she'd have less reason to be annoyed with Shade if he ever stole from people who don't really have anything. She might feel bad about it, but sometimes the benefits are too good to pass up. The Court of Barter is still a way of getting all the physical stuff that an animal didn't get to have, and it's also about hoping to use the market to recover something of her humanity. The second part is really the reason to keep going there so much.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey guys, I'm really sorry. Today has been intense at work, in preparation for an impromptu procedure I'll be doing tomorrow. I won't bore you with too much of the details, but put simply, I want to have time and brainpower when I go through what you are putting together, and I don't have that now... and may not tomorrow. This is not falling apart, please just be patient with me over the next day or so! Thank you for understanding.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Hey guys, I'm really sorry. Today has been intense at work, in preparation for an impromptu procedure I'll be doing tomorrow. I won't bore you with too much of the details, but put simply, I want to have time and brainpower when I go through what you are putting together, and I don't have that now... and may not tomorrow. This is not falling apart, please just be patient with me over the next day or so! Thank you for understanding.
    No worries. I've mostly been dealing with a broken phone.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

it's okay, take your time when it's about irl stuff.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Maybe it's because I've been reading the Werewolf book. I suppose I could pick Playmate for the kith blessing to make her more of a face. And it would make her more amoral, which might play into the motley a little better.

She would have to have been discarded for long enough that she's mostly angry about it now rather than sad. I wasn't really interested in the dog left out in the rain description from the book. If she is sad she'll do her best not to show it.

Getting people to like her is still something that she used to be very good at so charming people comes easily. It would also mean she'd have less reason to be annoyed with Shade if he ever stole from people who don't really have anything. She might feel bad about it, but sometimes the benefits are too good to pass up. The Court of Barter is still a way of getting all the physical stuff that an animal didn't get to have, and it's also about hoping to use the market to recover something of her humanity. The second part is really the reason to keep going there so much.
    Yeah instead of having been tossed away, your character was more or less just.... put in a cage and more or less forgotten about. That is also a functional Playmate - I take the idea in the book as just being a good example, not the 'must be this'. It's not like your character gets penalties with changelings or an automatic untrustworthy condition or anything like that. I guess it's just that Playmate Changelings tends to more often than not having just been abandoned and somewhat blames themselves for it. at least for a while.

Shade also isn't a petty thief. he is all about the big thing. Getting that Grimoire from some museum, or a rich occult leader-guy, or go to literal HELL to steal the Blade of Lucifer, etc. Not pickpocket random people for spare cash.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually like the part where she might not be trusted. It would just be very far from the truth in her case. She's been abandoned for longer then she was a house pet. Taking Bon Vivant and Anger anyway.

I think Sarah's sheet is done mechanically at least. I took 1 dot in resources but if we need more for a decent flat I can move things around.

If Shade is actually doing burglary jobs she can be talked into helping out. Anyone who has something good should protect it better if they want to hang onto it.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I actually like the part where she might not be trusted. It would just be very far from the truth in her case. She's been abandoned for longer then she was a house pet. Taking Bon Vivant and Anger anyway.

I think Sarah's sheet is done mechanically at least. I took 1 dot in resources but if we need more for a decent flat I can move things around.

If Shade is actually doing burglary jobs she can be talked into helping out. Anyone who has something good should protect it better if they want to hang onto it.
    I do like as well but it'd not fit all changelings and it's mostly the kinds that was abandoned rather than willfully went against their Keeper and fled.

Still working on my character tho, will do my best to get him more fleshed out soon.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

SamuraiGuy

Sorry guys. The second half of this week got very busy, though I was able to successfully perform a few very important procedures, which may be pretty meaningful for a few patients and families. I am going to start from "the beginning" and read through what you two have put together, and then will come back and commit the dreaded "double post" to give feedback and help develop things a little further.

Thank you so much for your patience with me.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

SamuraiGuy

Focusing on concepts first: We have two members of the Tumbledown Market Freehold. They escaped their Keeper together. Haval mentioned something of a great Fae House, which we may want to flesh out. It sounds like Hemnon's character was taken to be a burglar, while Haval's was taken to be a sort of playmate that was eventually forgotten. Sorry if I'm missing something, still drinking my coffee.

I really like the idea of the shared keeper and escape, and think we should flesh it out just a little (as I will definitely be using it). So, though there may have been many Gentry in the motley's Durance home, who was in charge? What was their title, and why? And what were they doing that necessitated both a thief and a playmate? Think big picture themes here two. True Fae tend to represent some want/greed;that defines who they are. So for example, the sample Gentry of Grandmother Grandmother wants to create it's concept of a nuclear family, though it is unable to love, procreate, or understand what love is. So it steals boys and girls to be its grandchildren, filling various roles of family members.

So who is our Kindly One, and what does it want? Stemming from this, we can develop an idea of what their home in arcadia was like a little further.

@Hemnon: It looks like you are still reworking your character sheet for Shade, so I'm going to hold off on talking technical. You also have the basic questions, but I'm going to add one more to it; what is the one memory or piece of Shade's former identity that he is most acutely aware of missing? Is it the face of his former wife, or a name, or perhaps the address of his original home? What is that one thing that he would do anything to get back?

@Haval: I would ask you the same question as Hemnon, but you kind of already answered that with your short backstory. So it looks like Sarah has little memory of her past life at all, nearly everything was taken from her. So the opposite question; what does she remember? What snippet is there, the one or two puzzle pieces that leave her guessing as to what the whole picture looked like? How does this inform her current identity; ie she has only one memory of a violent fight and now Sarah is worried she may have killed someone before being taken, or she remembers the most romantic kiss, and now she would die to know who that man was and where he is now?

From a character sheet standpoint: The numbers mostly look good.
    -Aspiration 2: "Use the market to become more of a human. To the extent that that is possible", could you clarify this a little for me? What sort of interactions or activities in your mind would constitute fulfilling this aspiration? Like trading for a potion that abolishes her Mein?
    -You get a free point in Mantle Merit for your court
    -Are you okay with me fleshing out this touchstone?

As Hemnon pulled up, please address the following:

Briefly describe:
    -Who your character was before they entered the Fae.
    -How they ended up in Faerie, and their Durance
    -Who your character is now. Include their personality, Mask and Mein.

Answer the following questions:
    -What is your character currently most afraid of
    -What is your character most likely known for in the Freehold
    -To whom is your character most loyal too?
    I know you got some of these but not all of them... I don't think
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Focusing on concepts first: We have two members of the Tumbledown Market Freehold. They escaped their Keeper together. Haval mentioned something of a great Fae House, which we may want to flesh out. It sounds like Hemnon's character was taken to be a burglar, while Haval's was taken to be a sort of playmate that was eventually forgotten. Sorry if I'm missing something, still drinking my coffee.

I really like the idea of the shared keeper and escape, and think we should flesh it out just a little (as I will definitely be using it). So, though there may have been many Gentry in the motley's Durance home, who was in charge? What was their title, and why? And what were they doing that necessitated both a thief and a playmate? Think big picture themes here two. True Fae tend to represent some want/greed;that defines who they are. So for example, the sample Gentry of Grandmother Grandmother wants to create it's concept of a nuclear family, though it is unable to love, procreate, or understand what love is. So it steals boys and girls to be its grandchildren, filling various roles of family members.

So who is our Kindly One, and what does it want? Stemming from this, we can develop an idea of what their home in arcadia was like a little further.

@Hemnon: It looks like you are still reworking your character sheet for Shade, so I'm going to hold off on talking technical. You also have the basic questions, but I'm going to add one more to it; what is the one memory or piece of Shade's former identity that he is most acutely aware of missing? Is it the face of his former wife, or a name, or perhaps the address of his original home? What is that one thing that he would do anything to get back?

@Haval: I would ask you the same question as Hemnon, but you kind of already answered that with your short backstory. So it looks like Sarah has little memory of her past life at all, nearly everything was taken from her. So the opposite question; what does she remember? What snippet is there, the one or two puzzle pieces that leave her guessing as to what the whole picture looked like? How does this inform her current identity; ie she has only one memory of a violent fight and now Sarah is worried she may have killed someone before being taken, or she remembers the most romantic kiss, and now she would die to know who that man was and where he is now?

From a character sheet standpoint: The numbers mostly look good.
    -Aspiration 2: "Use the market to become more of a human. To the extent that that is possible", could you clarify this a little for me? What sort of interactions or activities in your mind would constitute fulfilling this aspiration? Like trading for a potion that abolishes her Mein?
    -You get a free point in Mantle Merit for your court
    -Are you okay with me fleshing out this touchstone?

As Hemnon pulled up, please address the following:

I know you got some of these but not all of them... I don't think
    I was thinking some sort of 'young keeper' of sorta. although with the Fae that's not really a wholey 'real thing' for them. I'm thinking a very innately selfish, childishly petulant and fickle-minded beyond the bookish-studious type Keeper some other changelings might have had.
    Hence the new toys - then throw them away. My character would most likely have been in charge of gathering esoteric things - anything from actual horrifying things like the Scythe of a Grim Reaper, the Launch Key Sets to Russian ICBM-launch facilities - to the more odd things like stealing the flavor from another True Fae's food, enter the reality of where super hero comics are real and get a hold of the Smulk's unripped pants, etc. No real rhyme or reason to these things or the Keeper's wants and uses for these things. it could even in part be the reason Mine and Haval's caracters could even escape that successfully with that Mirror thingy I've mentioned before. A lax forgetfulness from the Keeper's side with regards to the odd strange items Shade had brought back and that the Keeper had then just discarded or forgotten about having requested that Shade go get.
    Same attitude with the Playmate changelings the Keeper has and even some of the Bright Ones and Artists when said Keeper got bored with them. Forgetting them more or less or just tossing them into the proverbial attic.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

SamuraiGuy

So I want to give Haval a chance to answer, but fleshing out that concept I have something like "The Crimson Masked Hoarder of Play Things".

The Hoarder is a greedy and selfish thing, obsessive and obsessed with collecting as many humans as it can, using its captives either as new play things, or to help it gather more toys. Petulant and flighty, The Hoarder becomes obsessed with its newest captive, only to forget about it the moment a new toy is found.

Bovine eyes peer out from a skinless face, thankfully covered by a beautifully gilded and bejeweled crimson mask of porcelain. It's hunched and hooded form is carried on long spindly legs, and long scaly taloned hands snatch from arms covered in black raven's feathers. The Hoarder has made a home out of a massive and labyrinthine Victorian library, where it catalogues and stores its most prized possessions. Tunnels lead out of the library into the Hedge, where The Hoarder sends its sneaky sneakers to explore, find treasures, and report on possible new play-things to capture. But even the sneaky sneakers are kept on a tether of impossibly long silver thread, that keeps them from escaping.

Compelled by its title, The Hoarder paints the faces of its toys with crimson (some whisper it is the blood of play things long broken), binding it's new play thing's to the Hoarder's possession.
    Really just spit balling with that, but tell me if that's kind of what you are going for, and if you like it, how you want to change it to better fit your ideas.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-10-03 at 02:38 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So I want to give Haval a chance to answer, but fleshing out that concept I have something like "The Crimson Masked Hoarder of Play Things".

Really just spit balling with that, but tell me if that's kind of what you are going for, and if you like it, how you want to change it to better fit your ideas.
    was personally thinking somehthing a little closer to 'spoiled princess' that never grew up. more of the kind of horrible being that is beautiful on the outside and has a surface affection, but beneath it all is an ugly creature, so selfish and self-caring-only that it NEEDS that outwardly appeal to attract new toys, new playmates, ensure those that bring her new things wishes to remain loyal and crave her small affections and words of comfort.

Ya know the most horrifying of monsters are the ones you cannot see, or hear, or smell, or touch. The kind that makes abused wives stay with them, the kind of monster that makes victims blame themselves - a true social and psychological predator, if you will.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

SamuraiGuy

Sure. So then what is this Princes' Title? The Title defines what it is the Fae needs and how it behaves; it is the part it agreed to play when it made itself into being in Arcadia. A Title bestows near infinite power within the realm of the title's description, but also confines the Gentry to that role.

Using what I presented above, The Crimson Masked Hoarder of Play Things describes what it does (hoards), what it covets (play things), and its appearance and actions (crimson masked).

Also, don't forget the other question I shot at you:

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sure. So then what is this Princes' Title? The Title defines what it is the Fae needs and how it behaves; it is the part it agreed to play when it made itself into being in Arcadia. A Title bestows near infinite power within the realm of the title's description, but also confines the Gentry to that role.

Using what I presented above, The Crimson Masked Hoarder of Play Things describes what it does (hoards), what it covets (play things), and its appearance and actions (crimson masked).

Also, don't forget the other question I shot at you:
    Hmmm....
    The Fickle Princess' Every Desire <---- will that work?
    'She' wants what she doesn't have, desires what she cannot get, punishes when what she wants is not retrieved or given. Never satisfied for more than what seems like a mere few moments (although it can literally be decades of contentment for her.... her changeling servants however will never get to feel that they did a good job in the long run - perhaps initially they might feel satisfied, but no more than that).
    She is also fickle, so she may just have forgotten she had requested something and punish anyways for wasting her time. Or you bring her something and she is already bored or found out about a new bauble that she wants - or she wants an old, discarded toy brought to her once more, etc.... although that'd be one of the more rare things of course.

And yeah didn't forget I've added it to the charactersheet and is currently filling it all out.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

SamuraiGuy

Looks like a good start. And what does she look like and what is her domain like?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Looks like a good start. And what does she look like and what is her domain like?
    Good question, I had honestly just managed to think up the surface idea so far. Also it's past 11pm so bedtime for me
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Back from work. Didn't have time to answer anything until now.

I like the description of the Keeper as a psychological predator. I was going to have Sarah's whole reaction to her Durance be that part of her remembers how comfortable it was to be a house pet and would consider going back if not for how angry she was at being abandoned. If that was going to happen what was the point in taking her and remaking her at all.

The Great House idea was really an excuse to have somewhere that might have a lot of dogs. You could say that the domain looks something like a great aristocratic house or actual castle on the outside, but it's size and interior is always adjusting according to the changing desires of the Keeper. There are a lot of rooms that are used to store forgotten or half created projects as well as the sort of things that Shade was sent out to bring back. It is not in anyway safe to move around in if you don't know what you're doing, because aside from anything that the Princess may have created or brought there and then forgotten about there's also the fact that the building will occasionally change to something else while your still in it.

I have no idea if Fae actually have relationships with each other. Perhaps she sometimes received other Fae as visitors from the next domain over? Perhaps any 'family' were created from whatever was lying around like Fetches. She thought they were something she was supposed to want but quickly lost interest and hasn't got around to unmaking them yet.

Backstory will be finished up by tomorrow. I may fiddle around with things if I have a better idea.

Memories
    I figure she had some level of authority from somewhere. She remembers working in an office on a tall building overlooking other tall buildings, and remembers having people do what she told them to do. She's researched it since but hasn't been successful. There's no reason to assume it's even in America. She might consider looking but she's a bit unsure about leaving the safety of New Orleans.

She also has a memory of waking up in bed with a man who may have been her husband.

There's nothing to indicate how long ago either of these memories actually happened.

Aspiration 2: Become more human or less of a beast

So the mein is partially an inconvenience. She has the sense of smell of a dog which is sometimes disgusting as it's not something you can turn off. She used to tear through a lot of trainers until she found boots that were sturdy enough to take her hind claws. Her tail can act according to her mood unless she's really trying to control herself. There's the odd flinch when she shows her teeth even when she's not trying to be intimidating. Most Changelings have their own problems here and can usually be relied on to be sympathetic, but these sorts of things remind her of her Durance and what the Princess made of her.

As a house pet she was comfortable and happy even as an abducted prisoner. Since her escape she considers it degrading and would rather die then go back, especially as if the Princess ever did come for her she would lose the ability to have her own opinions on anything. But after she was discarded it wasn't much better. As an abandoned pet she remembers being cold and hungry all the time. She remembers eating the occasional dead bird she found in the grounds or grubbing for insects. She remembers being feral and nothing about that is worth remembering.

So it's more the remaining memories of her Durance then the physical changes. She would consider trying to change her mein if she could be absolutely sure that the bargain was worth making. She would absolutely try to get rid of bad memories and replace them with something better. It wouldn't even have to be her own memories, because anything would likely be an improvement. The problem is what would happen to her if she ever did make that bargain. Would she still even be the same person?

-Will add the Mantle Merit

-Flesh out the touchstone as you like. I don't know what they know or how they got into the Market, but I suppose Sarah might have talked to him enough when she led him out to have some idea.

Let me know if I need to address anything else.

19. - Top - End - #109

SamuraiGuy

Thank you again you guys. Going to address things in piecemeal.

@Hemnon: Let me know when you have updated your character sheet and background information so I can go back to it... unless you are going to repost it once updated.

@All/In Regards to the Keeper/The Fickle Princesses' Every Desire: I like the idea of what Haval put forward regarding its domain, and I also like the extrapolation of Sarah's "complex" around her captor/captive relationship.

Fae do have relationships with each other, though they are mostly competitive, again because Fae are ultimately creatures of greed. Even when two Fae are not warring with each other over a title or possession, they might be trying to out do each other at a Masquerade ect.

Lastly we just need to describe The Princesses' appearance, and a basic understanding of her behavior/powers. Again, a Gentry's title helps define in what realms it has infinite power within. So does The Princesses have the ability force others to do her bidding as long as it is in pursuit of her latest obsession? Can she manifest any object or individual except the newest object of her desire?

@Haval: Let me know when you update everything, so I can go back to it, unless again you are going to repost.

I figure she had some level of authority from somewhere. She remembers working in an office on a tall building overlooking other tall buildings, and remembers having people do what she told them to do. She's researched it since but hasn't been successful. There's no reason to assume it's even in America. She might consider looking but she's a bit unsure about leaving the safety of New Orleans.

She also has a memory of waking up in bed with a man who may have been her husband.

There's nothing to indicate how long ago either of these memories actually happened.
    Focusing on the first memory; the woman in the high tower (so to speak). How does this affect Sarah now and her sense of self? Is she in the Tumbledown Market Freehold because, now she is struggling to reclaim the power she believes she once had and make up for the fact that she was brought down to that of a lowly play thing? Is she afraid of such authority or power now, having been a play-thing for so long, and is scared to find out who she really was?

Unless you want to focus on the memory of the man? She had a husband once, a one true love... if only she could get back to him, she could remember who she was and take back her old life?

For the Aspiration, I like everything you wrote and think it is good backstory information! But what I'm looking for is more clarity specifically on how I can create scenes that allow you to pursue the Aspiration.

So it's more the remaining memories of her Durance then the physical changes. She would consider trying to change her mein if she could be absolutely sure that the bargain was worth making. She would absolutely try to get rid of bad memories and replace them with something better. It wouldn't even have to be her own memories, because anything would likely be an improvement. The problem is what would happen to her if she ever did make that bargain. Would she still even be the same person?
    So from my understanding is that Sarah is looking for a way to supplant her memories of her Durance? Maybe she is looking to do this through finding a strong Oneiromancer who can enter her dreams and change her memories? Is that what you were thinking?

The Touchstone, how does this read:

Spoiler: Touchstone: the 'Occultist'
    Show
    Monica can't be any older than 16. She ran away from home to New Orleans with a couple of high school friends, escaping a pair of parents who were so filled with hate and ignorance that her only prior escape had been in sneaking sips from the liquor cabinet and in bribing the homeless to buy her a bottle. Things had gone south pretty quickly once she got to NOLA. The money for alcohol ran out, her friends whimped out and went running home. Monica had been living on the street for a little over a week when she stumbled in a hung over haze through the French Market trying to find a corner to puke in. But Monica slipped down the wrong alley and ended up in The Hedge, surrounded by the raucous sights and sounds of The Tumble Down Market. The smell of fresh human drew the immediate attention of a number of Hobgoblins, but Sarah managed to get to the poor girl first. Sarah helped Monica escape the Hedge and tried to convince the girl that she hadn't seen anything. But now Monica roams the French Quarter, looking for proof that there is a magical market somewhere, proof that she isn't crazy and that the Tumbled Down is real.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll repost the sheet when I've finished.

For the Princess' appearance, maybe someone in the outward form of a woman in aristocratic dress with some sort of formless void for a face/mouth. As if she's a black hole wearing clothes and a humanoid body. The details of what she looks like are as changeable as her house but tend to fall within a particular range. May go masked to cover up the greedy void in her face if only because it tends to damage her possessions when she isn't paying attention.

'Can she manifest any object or individual except the newest object of her desire?' I like that for a description of her powers. Then maybe she has a lot of Changeling servants/possessions and servants that she's created outright who fill in for her when she's distracted. And her interests change quickly enough that she can easily focus on something and have that level of power when something forces her attention.

Flexible on all that obviously.

Focusing on the first memory; the woman in the high tower (so to speak). How does this affect Sarah now and her sense of self? Is she in the Tumbledown Market Freehold because, now she is struggling to reclaim the power she believes she once had and make up for the fact that she was brought down to that of a lowly play thing? Is she afraid of such authority or power now, having been a play-thing for so long, and is scared to find out who she really was?

Unless you want to focus on the memory of the man? She had a husband once, a one true love... if only she could get back to him, she could remember who she was and take back her old life?
    In the case of both memories she's fairly sure she isn't that person anymore so it's not a matter of easily going back to her former life. At the same time these were things that were taken from her and she can't entirely give them up. That way the Princess wins.

She doesn't know where the husband is or how long ago the memory happened. Maybe there's curiosity to see how he's doing or what happened to her Fetch, but finding them at all might be hard work. The 'tower' is easier to imagine as something that she can reclaim. She can't be a lawyer or a politician or whatever it was, but maybe she can have more stuff and live in a bigger house. Maybe she can be a more respected figure in New Orleans Changeling society. (The Goblin Market book says that anyone working in the market might be viewed as a little disreputable). Or there's just magical power through the accumulation of more Contracts, but that's not something that she can achieve overnight.

For the aspiration, whatever works to fulfill it, but it obviously needs some way of magically changing her memories. An Oneiromancer would work depending on if she could find one she trusted and thought that the cost was worth it. I imagine she knows enough about the Market to be careful who she deals with and so this is why she hasn't tried to fix this already.

I like Monica. If she's homeless as well Sarah would definitely try to keep an eye on her. I imagine being too honest with her might be bad or at least Sarah would be worried that it might be.

21. - Top - End - #111

SamuraiGuy

For the Princess' appearance, maybe someone in the outward form of a woman in aristocratic dress with some sort of formless void for a face/mouth. As if she's a black hole wearing clothes and a humanoid body. The details of what she looks like are as changeable as her house but tend to fall within a particular range. May go masked to cover up the greedy void in her face if only because it tends to damage her possessions when she isn't paying attention.
    I like the idea, and will let Hemnon reply or add to it.

'Can she manifest any object or individual except the newest object of her desire?' I like that for a description of her powers. Then maybe she has a lot of Changeling servants/possessions and servants that she's created outright who fill in for her when she's distracted. And her interests change quickly enough that she can easily focus on something and have that level of power when something forces her attention.
    Okay. Glad you liked the suggestion. Again, I'll let Hemnon reply as well before finalizing.

In the case of both memories she's fairly sure she isn't that person anymore so it's not a matter of easily going back to her former life. At the same time these were things that were taken from her and she can't entirely give them up. That way the Princess wins.... The 'tower' is easier to imagine as something that she can reclaim. She can't be a lawyer or a politician or whatever it was, but maybe she can have more stuff and live in a bigger house. Maybe she can be a more respected figure in New Orleans Changeling society. (The Goblin Market book says that anyone working in the market might be viewed as a little disreputable). Or there's just magical power through the accumulation of more Contracts, but that's not something that she can achieve overnigh
    I like the idea of Sarah trying to reclaim aspects of her old life (consciously or subconsciously) even if they are different forms of the same idea, ie the bigger house, the better things. It also ties in well with her Freehold choice. It also leaves the interesting question of what if she accidentally recreates something she already had and gets deja vu? And what if she is trying to reclaim her humanity by pursuing the capitalist's dream... could even tie in with an aspiration (cough cough).

For the aspiration, whatever works to fulfill it, but it obviously needs some way of magically changing her memories. An Oneiromancer would work depending on if she could find one she trusted and thought that the cost was worth it. I imagine she knows enough about the Market to be careful who she deals with and so this is why she hasn't tried to fix this already.
    Hmmm... how would you feel about broadening the Aspiration a little bit to go beyond "using the Tumbledown Market". I think a reasonable but broader version of the same aspiration would be something like, "Build a new and stable mortal life/persona in New Orleans" that Sarah can use to compensate for her complete lack of memory of her old one. How would you feel about that?

I like Monica. If she's homeless as well Sarah would definitely try to keep an eye on her. I imagine being too honest with her might be bad or at least Sarah would be worried that it might be.
    I will add her to the NPC list
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

You’re right, I probably should do something with that, and I took the Anonymity merit as well. She’d need like a bank account and so forth. I also just noticed that I have two aspirations dealing with memories at the moment.

Maybe the following then

-Build a new and stable mortal life/persona in New Orleans

-Gain a larger flat or a Hollow. Somewhere to keep your stuff

-Recover her memories or find a trustworthy Oneiromancer to find some new ones.

23. - Top - End - #113

SamuraiGuy

I like all three of the aspirations if you like them. I can definitely work with these. Let me know when you want me to re-review your character sheet.

Hopefully we hear back from Hemnon in a hot moment, I'm very excited to get this game rolling again, especially now that we are in October
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I like all three of the aspirations if you like them. I can definitely work with these. Let me know when you want me to re-review your character sheet.

Hopefully we hear back from Hemnon in a hot moment, I'm very excited to get this game rolling again, especially now that we are in October
    Still here just had a sudden crash mentally. Slept the whole day away yesterday and such. Still here tho!
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

SamuraiGuy

Absolutely no worries.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Done some more editing. Let me know if I need to add anything else.

Spoiler: Sarah
    Show

Name: Sarah (Not her original name which she doesn't remember, the name is taken from a TV show)
    Seeming: Beast (Hound)
    Kith: Playmate
    Freehold: Tumbledown Market (The Court of Barter)

Attributes (5/4/3)
    Social
    Presence 3
    Manipulation 3
    Composure 2 (+1 Beast) - 3

Mental
    Intelligence 2
    Wits 3
    Resolve 2

Physical
    Strength 2
    Dexterity 2
    Stamina 2

Advantages
    Size 5
    Health 7
    Speed 9 (+3 Beast)
    Wp 5
    Max Clarity 6
    Initiative 5 (+3 Beast)
    Defense 3

Beats: [] [] [] [] []
    Experience: 0

Health Dots: 7
    Damage Tracker: [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Willpower Dots: 5 (Resolve+Composure)
    Spent Willpower: [] [] [] [] [] []

Wyrd: 1

Glamour Points:

Skills (11/7/4)
    Social (Animal Ken 1, Empathy 2, Expression, Intimidation 1, Persuasion 3, Socialise 1, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 2)
    Physical (Athletics 1, Brawl 2, Drive 0, Firearms 0, Larceny 1, Stealth 2, Survival 1, Weaponry 0)
    Mental (Academics 0, Computer 1, Craft 0, Investigation 2, Medicine 0, Occult 1, Politics 0, Science 0)

Specialties
    Stealth (Moving in Darkness)
    Empathy (Lies)
    Streetwise (Black Market)

Spoiler: Aspirations
    Show

-Build a new and stable mortal life/persona in New Orleans

-Gain a larger flat or a Hollow. Somewhere to keep your stuff

-Recover her memories or find a trustworthy Oneiromancer to find some new ones.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

-Recover your memories. You aren't that person anymore but it's still important as something that was taken from you.
    -Use the market to become more of a human. To the extent that that is possible. Find a trustworthy Oneiromancer to change her memories
    Spoiler
    Show

(Thinking out loud post moved over from the thread)

So the mein is an inconvenience. She has the sense of smell of a dog which is sometimes disgusting as it's not something you can turn off. She used to tear through a lot of shoes until she found boots that were sturdy enough to take her hind claws. Her tail can act according to her mood unless she's really trying to control herself. There's the odd flinch when she shows her teeth even when she's not trying to be intimidating. Most Changelings have their own problems here and can usually be relied on to be sympathetic, but these sorts of things remind her of her Durance and what the Princess made of her.

As a house pet she was comfortable and happy even as an abducted prisoner. Since her escape she considers it degrading and would rather die then go back, especially as if the Princess ever did come for her she would lose the ability to have her own opinions on anything. But after she was discarded it wasn't much better. As an abandoned pet she remembers being cold and hungry all the time. She remembers eating the occasional dead bird she found in the grounds or grubbing for insects. She remembers being feral and nothing about that is worth remembering.

-Gain a larger place to live (a larger flat or a Hollow). Somewhere to keep your stuff.

Seeming Blessing: Gain an additional dot of one Resistance Attribute at character creation (Composure) Your character gains +3 to Initiative rolls and Speed, and may choose to deal lethal damage with unarmed attacks. It costs a point of Glamour per three consecutive turns to enjoy this benefit if he has the Shaken or Spooked Condition, or another Condition that imposes fear.

Curse: In addition to your character’s other breaking points, he risks Clarity damage with a dice pool equal to half his Wyrd (rounded up) whenever acting without thinking causes significant harm or complications for someone else.

Regalia: Steed

Kith Blessing: When the Playmate uses Persuasion to make someone like her or her friends, achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
    -Coeur Loyal: A Playmate may touch a wounded character and spend a point of Glamour to heal any number of bash-ing or lethal damage points as an instant action. She takes the same amount of mild Clarity damage as bashing dam-age healed, and the same amount of severe Clarity damage as lethal damage healed; apply the mild damage first. She can’t heal more damage than she has room to take more Clarity damage. It is entirely possible for a Playmate to lose her-self completely while healing others.

Cold Iron
    p.102

Mien: Lost most of her animal form when she crawled through the hedge but traces remain. She has dark yellow eyes with no visible whites and a mouthful of sharp teeth. Her tongue is rather longer then a human's ought to be. There are a pair of pointed furry dog ears poking through her hair. Hands and feet retain her claws. She has a thin brown furred tail that she prefers to tuck into her clothes when she can but it's uncomfortable enough that she doesn't always bother. Otherwise looks like her Mask.
    -Court of Barter Mantle: Mantle Effects: The Mantle for a Barterer manifests in even tones and calming scents. They leave drips of sealing wax in their wake.Your character gains a Glamour point whenever he successfully intercedes on someone else’s behalf in an unfair deal.

Mask: Short woman with a large amount of shaggy brown hair going to beneath her shoulders. Usually dressed for convenience. Black leather jacket. Wears boots over the claws on her feet. It's uncomfortable sometimes but it keeps the dirt off and makes her feel more human. Would wear gloves as well but it's a little too inconvenient and expensive for the amount of gloves she's accidentally ripped through with her claws.

Needle: Bon Vivant
    The bon vivant lives in the moment, taking pleasure in whatever surrounds her. She is highly social and seeks to evoke emotions with her actions. She is grounded in the now, and rarely thinks about her future.
    -Single Willpower: Allow a personal problem to go unfixed in favor of enjoying the moment.
    -All Willpower: Abandon an important relationship over your pursuit of pleasure

Thread: Anger
    Those motivated by anger hold onto pain as a re-minder of the ways things could be. He is angry at the True Fae, angry at what happened to him, and he uses that anger to ensure he gets through each day.
    -Single Willpower: Start a fight with someone.
    -All Willpower: Start a fight with someone who is clearly your superior.

Touchstone: the 'Occultist'
    Helped a mortal who managed to get into the Market by accident and led them to safety. The person knows about certain weird things going on in New Orleans but has no idea of the details. She has been going to keep an eye on him from a distance to see if he gets into the Hedge again or worse.
    Spoiler: Touchstone: the 'Occultist'
    Show
    Monica can't be any older than 16. She ran away from home to New Orleans with a couple of high school friends, escaping a pair of parents who were so filled with hate and ignorance that her only prior escape had been in sneaking sips from the liquor cabinet and in bribing the homeless to buy her a bottle. Things had gone south pretty quickly once she got to NOLA. The money for alcohol ran out, her friends whimped out and went running home. Monica had been living on the street for a little over a week when she stumbled in a hung over haze through the French Market trying to find a corner to puke in. But Monica slipped down the wrong alley and ended up in The Hedge, surrounded by the raucous sights and sounds of The Tumble Down Market. The smell of fresh human drew the immediate attention of a number of Hobgoblins, but Sarah managed to get to the poor girl first. Sarah helped Monica escape the Hedge and tried to convince the girl that she hadn't seen anything. But now Monica roams the French Quarter, looking for proof that there is a magical market somewhere, proof that she isn't crazy and that the Tumbled Down is real.

Spoiler: Contracts
    Show

Two Royal Contracts from Steed
    Chrysalis - Shape changing
    Spoiler
    Show

Choose two animals with an additional two for a Beast. (Cat, Crow, Warg (as in LotR), Hawk). Consciously avoids Dogs. The Warg is for emergencies.

The changeling calls upon the savage nature that fueled his escape from Arcadia, howling like a great beast, or scuttling like an insect. He feels his own identity slip, drowned by the comfort of just being, and his body follows suit.
    2 Glamour, No Dice Pool, Instant Action
    Only gain the physical form (physical attributes, size speed, health), gain mundane senses and modes of movement. While in that form can talk to other animals of that species.
    Loophole: The changeling is in the natural habitat of his chosen animal and is near enough to touch at least one of them.

Mirror Walk
    Spoiler
    Show

The changeling steps into a mirror. He hears baying hounds in the distance, and senses a dark chill in the air. The changeling cuts his finger, leaving a bloody print on one of the myriad mirrors before him, and wills it to open to any mirror of his choice in either the mortal world or the Hedge.

1 Glamour + 1 Wp, Dice pool is Wits + Survival + Wyrd, Instant Action

Pass from one mirror to another, can bring people with you, Beasts can choose to lose themselves halfway in mirror space.

Loophole: The changeling speaks the name or title of a character currently reflected in the mirror where he plans to exit.

Two Common Contracts from Steed
    Nevertread
    Spoiler
    Show

The changeling leaves only scraps and emptiness in his wake. 1 Glamour, No Dice Pool, Instant Action
    Cover your tracks or change them to something else. Can only be tracked by magical means. Beast can extend the contract to others.
    Loophole: The changeling leaves a note, bloody fingerprint, or other clue of his passing. He can hide this, but it must provide a clue to his identity if found.

Boon of the Scuttling Spider
    Spoiler
    Show

1 Glamour, No Dice Pool, Instant Action
    Move as a spider as long as the surface can support your weight. Move as speed. Beasts can use webbing in grapples.
    Loophole: The changeling swallows a live spider

Two Goblin Contracts
    See the debt rules on p.162
    Blessing of Forgetfulness
    Spoiler
    Show

2 Glamour, Manipulation + Subterfuge + Wyrd vs. Composure +Wyrd
    Make a target forget things
    Loophole: The event caused pain to the target, but the changeling herself rendered aid or otherwise showed him kindness.

Goblin's Eye
    Spoiler
    Show

Swallowed a Goblin's eye allowing her to see magic
    1 glamour
    See through magic concealment or ask one of a list of questions about supernatural events - Kenning rules to distinguish between magical and mundane

Spoiler: Merits
    Show

Court of Barter Mantle (*)
    -Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to read someone’s situation from their behavior.

Changeling Merits
    Acute Senses (*)
    Court Goodwill (Night Revelers) (*)
    Hedge Sense (*)
    Market Sense (*)

Human Merits
    Allies (Tumbledown Market) (*)
    Anonymity (*)
    Safe Place (*)
    Mentor (Baloo - Beast Trader of the Market, Bear) (*)
    Spoiler
    Show

Sarah's employer in the Market. Has three skills to use on Sarah's behalf (Intimidate, Streetwise, Occult)

Resources (*)
    Striking Looks (*)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adept at looking friendly and innocent, doe eyes. Probably +1 to Persuasion

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Sarah doesn't remember her original name or much of anything related to her old life. She thinks she had power of some sort. There was a tall building in a city of other tall buildings where she worked on paperwork in an expensive looking room full of books. There were people around her who did what she told them to do but she doesn't know whether they were employees or servants. Perhaps that's why she was taken and made low by her Fae captor. As if someone saw her loss of status as a joke. There was also a house and a man, whether or not he was her husband she doesn't know, but she remembers waking up with him one morning and how comfortable she felt about that.

After she became a hound she was originally a pet in the house of the Fickle Princess. Occasionally she was let into the grounds to be walked but mostly she spent every waking moment with her Mistress. This was an extremely comfortable life and while it lasted she wanted for nothing, but eventually it ended. Perhaps her Mistress grew tired of her or perhaps she was replaced with another, but she was cast aside to live in the east wing of the house that was full of the other discarded Beasts and the survivors of the Princess' various creations. The household servants kept them fed with slop but there was never enough to go round and those who managed to survive often had to turn to hunting each other or feeding on whatever they could find. Sarah's later passage through the Hedge took away much of the details of her time here, but she remembers being cold and hungry almost all the time, she remembers feeding on carrion, and she remembers the constant fear of hiding from anything larger and more dangerous that might be willing to hunt her in turn.

(Details of the escape with Shade)

With Sarah's passage through the Hedge she regained much of her lost human appearance with even most of her fur falling out, but she was still marked by the experience of her durance to an extent that she has only gradually recovered. In the beginning she was holed up in her room with a TV and as much snacks as she could find, but eventually boredom and the need to support herself led to her exploring the city where she fell in with the Tumbledown Market which offered her an income of a sort and the prospect of one regaining something of the identity that was taken from her.

Personality

Sarah would like to make up for lost time by enjoying herself as much as possible. The lingering memories of her durance make her feel like the world owes her a little, especially as there are many things about the mortal world that seem unnecessary complicated or tedious. For the moment anything long term can be put off, and as a person who returned from the Hedge with nothing it seemed easy to take that view. Yet her efforts have not always been successful, as her attempts to enjoy a human life are in part a coping mechanism that she hopes will drown out the worry about whether she can escape the mark that Arcadia has left on her.

Ever since Sarah came through the Hedge and has had to learn how to relate to people again she has grown increasingly uncomfortable with herself. Parts of her mien occasionally bother her enough that she would change them if it was easy to do so, but generally this is just what she looks like now. The worse part is what her durance might have done to her as a person. She had been a household pet of the Fickle Princess and she remembers how easy it was to be that way. If the Princess or another Keeper came to retake her she feels she could slip back into that roll very easily. If she was turned back into the Hound that she had been in Arcadia she wouldn't even be able to object. She would rather die first.

What is your character most afraid of?

The Fickle Princess and anything that might cause a loss of her freedom

What is she known for in the Freehold?

After she had some early bad experiences with Goblin Contracts she learned of the possible dangers of the Market and what it could do to the unwary or the naive. For that reason in her capacity as Baloo's employee she has tried to deal fairly with people whenever possible and has tried to cultivate a reputation for fair dealing that she hasn't always managed to live up to. At worse she's trying to make deals that will inconvenience people rather then holding hidden costs that they might prefer not to pay. Membership of the Court of Barter is an attempt to remind herself that there is a line that she should try not to cross.

Who is she most loyal to?

Probably Shade, without whom she might still be in Arcadia.

[/QUOTE]

27. - Top - End - #117

SamuraiGuy

Sorry for the delay. As soon as I am able I will review this sheet and get back to you.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry for the delay. As soon as I am able I will review this sheet and get back to you.
    Almost done with my charactersheet as well. I've had to take it in short bits cuz.... I dunno why but just mentally crashes a lot lately. sleeps to much, etc. But, almost there.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

SamuraiGuy

Again, my sincere apologies for the delay. End of this week got very brutal with some hospital political BS. For Sarah's character sheet, I don't have a lot to add. I notice no safe place/hollow merits. Is anything a shared merit?

@Hemnon: Get that character sheet in ASAP so we can get this game restarted. I am excited to get started.

Also would like your weigh in on Haval's suggestions:

Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again, my sincere apologies for the delay. End of this week got very brutal with some hospital political BS. For Sarah's character sheet, I don't have a lot to add. I notice no safe place/hollow merits. Is anything a shared merit?

@Hemnon: Get that character sheet in ASAP so we can get this game restarted. I am excited to get started.

Also would like your weigh in on Haval's suggestions:
    Yes yes, should hopefully be done by tomorrow (aka. Sunday).

And yeah I'm fine with suggestion by Haval.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show