New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Ergonomic chairs

Now that home work seems to be more or less permanent I am looking into ergonomic chairs. My office chair was a dirt cheap one, and my back is starting to feel from it. A friend linked me this one, which looks great but I'm not big enough to feel like I need it.

Anyone into ergonomics and have some suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ergonomic chairs

From what I hear, generally speaking, gaming chairs are overhyped. r/BIFL recommends a Herman Miller Aeron, which if you're lucky you can buy from an office liquidation sale for around $500 to $600. Otherwise you'll be looking at $1300 or so. Personally, I'm saving up to buy an Embody from that company.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Now that home work seems to be more or less permanent I am looking into ergonomic chairs. My office chair was a dirt cheap one, and my back is starting to feel from it. A friend linked me this one, which looks great but I'm not big enough to feel like I need it.

Anyone into ergonomics and have some suggestions?
    While a good chair is definitely worth investing in, and I might look into something rated for a higher weight even if you're not anywhere near pushing that limit (because it'll mean, at least theoretically, that the springs and cushions and pneumatic tubes for height adjustment and whatnot are more solidly built) ... I would bet that you could probably find roughly that chair a hundred bucks cheaper minus the 'Gamer' branding and color flair.

That said I don't know *where*, as I haven't done any serious seat shopping in.. um, ever :\

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Am I the only person that likes using a hard, straight backed chair? It feels like I have better posture when sitting in that type of chair than a luxuriant office or gaming chair.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tempist View Post
    Am I the only person that likes using a hard, straight backed chair? It feels like I have better posture when sitting in that type of chair than a luxuriant office or gaming chair.
    I think some of it is how long you sit. When I was doing manual labor and going to the gym in December-February I sat ramrod straight, but 7 months of this none sense and sitting 16+ hours a day and my sitting posture is gone.

Short of quitting my job I doubt I can balance my core muscles in the 30 minutes I am allowed in the gym, I want the chair to provide more lumbar and neck support.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You might like to try one of these or its variants (some variants include some back support).

I brought my old one down from the loft a couple of weeks ago for the variation - I used to use it a lot, and it seemed to be good for the back, but could be hell on the knees if used for very extended periods.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you want a good ergonomic chair, it has to fit for you. The best way to find that out is to test it. Go to a location that sells chairs and sit in them, adjust them to see if they work for you. And don't only go for the most expensive ones. I actually got my current office chair in IKEA in reduction and it's one of the best chairs I've ever had.

And of course, don't sit in it for 8 hours straight, no matter how good it is. Always move around every hour or so. I do that by drinking a lot of water (another good thing to do) so you have to visit the bathroom every so often.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you're in a major metro area, there will be several used office furniture stores around, probably in semi-industrial areas. Spend some time visiting them and sitting in chairs until you find one that lines up with what you want. That's what I did. $100 for a really good adjustable chair.

I don't like the Aerons. Not quite right for my back.