New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Games like Desktop Defender / Desktop Tower Defense?

I'm looking for a game like Desktop Defender or Desktop Tower defense but not Flash and not ad/microtransaction supported.

I like the simple, abstract graphics style of Desktop Defender, and the more complex 3D graphics I see in a lot of these games put me off. Just for this type of game, mind you. I might be willing to branch out, but only after and if I can scratch the itch of a simplistic game with the same core loop as Desktop Defender first.

I'm willing to pay up to around $20 for a game that's functionally identical to Desktop Defender but with no microtransactions. I feel like it's worth around $5 to $8, so I'd resent paying $20, but still pay it.

For games that almost but don't quite hit that bar but still look playable to me, I'll look into them, but probably can't justify much more than $5 or $10.

I prefer Steam, but I have a GOG account I could dig up if necessary.

So, any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Games like Desktop Defender / Desktop Tower Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I'm looking for a game like Desktop Defender or Desktop Tower defense but not Flash and not ad/microtransaction supported.

I like the simple, abstract graphics style of Desktop Defender, and the more complex 3D graphics I see in a lot of these games put me off. Just for this type of game, mind you. I might be willing to branch out, but only after and if I can scratch the itch of a simplistic game with the same core loop as Desktop Defender first.

I'm willing to pay up to around $20 for a game that's functionally identical to Desktop Defender but with no microtransactions. I feel like it's worth around $5 to $8, so I'd resent paying $20, but still pay it.

For games that almost but don't quite hit that bar but still look playable to me, I'll look into them, but probably can't justify much more than $5 or $10.

I prefer Steam, but I have a GOG account I could dig up if necessary.

So, any recommendations?
    Diplomacy is Not an Option steam, classic TD. Sometimes I play Dungeoun Defenders with my friends, 3d person TD game.
    Last edited by JordanM; 2021-05-20 at 04:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JordanM View Post
    Diplomacy is Not an Option steam, classic TD. Sometimes I play Dungeoun Defenders with my friends, 3d person TD game.
    Neither of those look anything like what I'm asking about.

What I'm looking for has to be a fixed top-down view, no parallax, no attempt at isometric 3D or any of that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A while back, people were going crazy over Loop Hero, which is definitely overhead and 2D... But the RPG/Roguelike mechanics might be a straying a bit off course as far as gameplay goes for you.

Just looking through some suggestions on Steam, Mindustry and Dungeon Warfare come up, though I can't vouch for either. It's also brought Vectorio to my attention, which I might be looking at later.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

You ever consider something like the Chip's Challenge games? Picked both of them up for less than $3 on Steam

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Could check out Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 on Android.

I've sunk many hours into the second one, probably one of the most innovative tower defense games I've ever played. It doesn't have a whole lot of enemy movement manipulation tricks to the same degree as DTT, but it instead does them with fixed dungeon setups where you can plug up possible routes through barricades in case one route is more beneficial than another. This makes a lot more sense when you consider that the game uses a lot of physics to kill enemies, using things like bolo or push traps to knock enemies (and their friends with bolos) down pits to kill things without having to deal damage.

So while one route might be a segment of rooms blocked by doors (basically to make efficient kill zones), another might have the enemies be forced down a path that is adjacent to a river that can be used to drown them, and what routes they take are dependent on how you want to barricade things. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-20 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So far, none of these seem like what I thought I was asking for.

I was hoping to find something close to as similar to the exemplar games as a Tetris clone is to Tetris. Or as similar as most military FPS games are to each other, etc.

If it doesn't have entrances and exits for the creeps in the same places as Desktop Defender, I won't consider it a good match to my question. Likewise, if it doesn't have a grid smaller than the size of the turrets to allow the same sort of offset maze construction, it doesn't fit the spirit of the question. It doesn't have to be the 1/2 grid of the exemplar games, 1/3 or 1/4 would be workable, too. Likewise for the mechanic of placing then later upgrading turrets.

Before asking this question, I assumed there was a sub-genre of tower defense games that are a lot like Desktop Defender, but I haven't really seen any at all so far.