New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Frustration with base setup (moonpools cant rotate if they are near an existing base, which makes setting them up usefully for an existing base usually involve tearing down the whole base first) let to starting up a new hardcore file.

1 hour, 15 minutes, trying for a few efficencies.

the early gold/silver vein is great, and it seems like the lifepod location IS fixed, but the directioon the door faces might not be? Swinging a bit right of the pod I got creepseeds, so was able to build a scanner, knife, and fins on my first pod entry. I got the first relic without an air tank, and the MVB. Built the tank, headed up to twisty bridges, got ALAN and the hab builder without the seaglide or rebreather. Scanned a bunch of stuff in sector zero, then swung south of Delta station to build a simple X-tube base. The internal growbed will fit in an X tube in this game, if you angle it right, so I plant a lantern fruit, grab the nuts and artefact from below delta station and plant the nuts, then head up to Delta for the copper I need for the seaglide, the scanner room blueprint, and the map scan. Jump off a cliff to reach the X base (I dropped the Emergency Cache beacon by it), crafted the seaglide, and since this base is actually at the surface, I build and drop the MVB too. Save and quit.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

5 hours, 44 minutes. If I wanted to regale you with a play by play, I should have stopped 2 hours ago.

Got the power cell from the crashed ship, Crafted a seatruck, did the mines without the rebreather (which took a few passes), crafted a laser cutter, went back to the ship and got 2 plot-fragments. Crafted a Prawn.

Found and lost a shortcut to Marguite's base, but got the plot box. Also found the horsepower upgrade. Grapped the purple jets artefact, and fell through the ground (in the prawn) on my way back. Had to abandon the suit and the plasteel and other resources I had stored, but made it back to the surface and back to base.

Seatruck depth upgrade let my get magnatite and the first component. Finagled a base together with a scanner, large room and moonpool (properly orentated), and over a few hours, added a bioreactor, aquarium, water purifier, Command room, fab, charger, defab, and locker. Also built a replacement prawn (which also at one point fell through terain, but there were some shallow caves around, so it was recoverable), and a seatruck prawnbay. Gearing up for the storage and fab modules, saved and quit.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

7 hours, 27 minutes.

Got the components for the storage and fab moduels, a replacement prawn jump jet, and a drill arm. got the required fragments and materials to build the plot box. finished the modification station, built a heatknife. Starting to put together my "Expedition base package," though I'm short of titanium (even after a metal wreckage run) quartz and ion cubes.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a way to get more Ion Cubes in this one? In 1 there's the generator, of course, but they seem to be more important this time around, and I'm wondering if it's only static locations or if there's other ways to pick one up.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Is there a way to get more Ion Cubes in this one? In 1 there's the generator, of course, but they seem to be more important this time around, and I'm wondering if it's only static locations or if there's other ways to pick one up.
    I dont think so. They're more common- I think there's at least 20 at the various artifact and component sites- and you can recover the ones you put into equipment (defabricator!), but each one is only good for 3 teleportations. And of course items that fall out of bounds are unreachable, but that SHOULD be fixed by the time the full release comes around.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Non-upgraded Prawn suit can go deep enough to be an air station for getting spiral plants out of Vent gardens. Got enough from the vent garden directly above the artefact, so that's a two for one. Made myself a reinforced dive suit.

Antenna, greenhouse, satelite, and deep hole artefacts. Nothing too complicated there, just a matter of navigation.

Crossing the map to Phi robotics and the artefact by the bridge. That's enough to unlock the teleporter car, but I didnt run back and buildit right away. Went on foot through the glacial caverns, fought some stalkers, decided to pitch a base to try and compress my inventory. Had some trouble building a reachable hatch. Got hypothermia, paniced looking for shelter, and died.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Had some interesting optimizations yesterday offset by some awkward searching. An hour and 15 minutes in, I got early diamonds from deep bridges before rebreather, got a fat stack of table coral, skipped Sector Zero and instead durdled around looking for copper to turn into chips to free up inventory space- results were mixed even after turning titanium into ingots, I had bad copper luck here.
    Did the mining site before seatruck- the first (top of shaft) oxygen plant and the second (at the bottom in the thermal area) are only 23-ish seconds apart on a seaglide, so each lap recovers almost 15 seconds of air if you know where you're going. Just costs seaglide battery.
    By the time I started building the base, I made sure to reserve space for solar panel components, but I had to scrounge for tube, hatch, and fabricator components in the local area. Lost a few impirtant things that seemed less important at the time. (like the lube reserved for the MVB)

Will probably try to refine this approach.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Optimization seemed to go well, throwing in a trip to outpost zero while hunting for chip-copper. Swing a bit far west, but that's a reatively minor time loss. built a base on top of the mining site before going in, was able to build a quantum locker after coming up the first time, increasing my storage space. Got the nut artefact, Delta station and back to base... and realized I never scanned any MVB fragments. Oops. Seaglided out for the 4th artefact, came back at 1 hour, 26 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Since I keep getting turned around in that first cave, I started a fresh file that ignored it until I could build a scanner room and map it out.

There's basically 3 levels. Entering at the supply point will bring you to the top level through the northwest entrance, with a MVB monkeynest. (guarenteed fragment spawn) and an O2 plant.

Center room has an O2 plant, and a hole to the mid level, a right side cave (west exit) with another o2 plant and a path that spirals back to the surface, and a left path (east exit) that splits left right, right dead ends instantly in a Laser Cutter nest, Left passes an O2 plant and leads to another surface hole.

The middle level has north and south exits, and a few holes to the 3rd level. The 3rd level is just an O2 plant and a relic. be carful coming back up, one of the holes leads right to the south exit.

The north exit T-junctions at an O2 plant, with a laser cutter nest dead end straight ahead, and to the right, a chamber (entering from the northwest) with 2 o2 plants, a laser cutter nest, and another exit to the south by southwest. That exit immediately enters another chamber, with 2 O2 plants, and 2 propulsion cannon nests. This chamber is otherwise a dead end. when retruning to the T-junction, remember you entered left and HIGH- it's easy to miss the exit back to the main chamber.

The south exit enters the middle of a horseshoe-shaped tunnel at an O2 plant, left and right. The right path curves past an O2 plant (and a loose MVB fragment in this file, but it cannot be trusted) and heads to the surface. The left path twists, passes a MVB nest (and loose MVB in this file), and also heads for the surface.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got that first cave down pat (aside from the monkeys being far more grabby than I recall) but I keep getting greedy when it comes to the early Deep Bridges. Tied moving my scanner file there, but it's not as easy to navigate as a series of linked small chambers and tunnels. Ideally, I want a Gel sack, 2 lithium, and 4 diamond, (laser cutter, 2 enamaled glass and a plasteel, early) but below 200m I'd need to cycle 3 o2 plants while searching, and they just arnt that easy to spot.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

bunch of false starts, but I've got everything before a Bridges run done in a file only 18 minutes in, including fabbing a resource locator. Hopefully that will allow a more down-and-up deep bridges attempt, and with a recent save, I may be able to cheat hardcore mode- hard-quitting without giving the game a chance to save, then reloading from here.

Incidently, there's a seaglide nest right where I usually get my creepvine seeds before heading to the pod, (which is also close enough to the supply cache to trigger the beacon) and a second seaglide nest 550m east of the beacon.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if there's speedruns for this yet.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

45 minutes in. Found a route to reliably survive having a few seconds to search around the bottom of the deeps, come back above 200m, top off on air on a loop of 3 o2 plants, and go back down. Still took at least 7 passes to get my wish list- I couldnt even calibrate the scanner to Lithium until I was nearly at the bottom. Also picked up Alan, the Hab builder, and enough table coral for a half a dozen computer chips, and brought it all back to the hab.

Turns out I only had enough copper for ONE chip, which went into the hab builder. Recharged both batteries I spent on the seaglide in constructing the laser cutter and hab builder- the laser cutter and repair tool are now both empty. I also have a neatly packed Seatruck Depth upgrade, worth 2 glass, 2 early lead, and a titanium ingot, all stored in a single inventory slot thanks to the materials I collected.

I did NOT remember to build a rebreather or high-cap tank before saving and quitting. Plan is to hunt for copper as I make a run to Zero for the hab parts. Every 2 copper I collect turns 2 table coral and a gold into a single slot chip- and when moving everything I've collected to a new base, compacting it saves trips. I'm probably going to have to abandon some table coral anyway- I got only 1-2 Gold from the freebee crevace at the beginning, and only 2-3 more since. I could have cracked more limestone in the bridges, but I was trying to manage my inventory.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-12-02 at 09:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

1 hour, 2 minutes

didnt actually have enough glass for the high cap tank after building the depth module last session, so that was part of my sector zero shopping list. my health was low after some close shaves in Bridges, so I picked up a few creep samples to turn into a medkit. Got the large room, multipurpose room, water purifier, vending machine, and bed blueprints, along with the sector zero ion cube and two prawn scans, and the control room databox.

On the way back, I focused on filling up my inventory with copper- tossing out several perfectly acceptable titanium samples. Back at the pod I was able to turn all my gold into chips, giving me some inventory room to work with. No leftover copper wire or even copper, though- I'm going to need to collect materials for the new base of operations on the way to the mining site. Shopping list: 5 quartz, 4 copper, and 9 titanium. (A solar panel, hatch, tube, and fab)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

1 hour, 21 minutes.

Was able to get all but 2 titanium of the shopping list into my inventory before reaching the mining site. Had to root around the site entrance for a bit more titanium and copper, to build the fabricator and a battery charger, and a MVB which I toss to the surface to clear out inventory space. Drop the beacon, too. I left my worst battery charging when I went through the mining site.

Artefact, Prawn, drill, thermal generator blueprint, jump jet, and the scanner room databox. Also a few ruby and diamond. With the rebreather, the mining site really isnt that tense. I got everything in one go.

First up, swap out the batteries onto the charger, then I craft a quantum locker- an extra 12 slots of inventory never hurts. The seatruck requires 2 more glass, and 2 more lead. (plus the power cell I know is in the wrecked ship) Wall locker some resources here head over to the nut artifact, and save.

If there was a reasonable way to have a second artefact before ALAN, I would have access to the defabricator at this point, unlocking the glass and lead I put into the depth module for the trip over here. On the other hand, if I just find 2 lead and 4 quarts, the seatruck is already 300m rated.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

After a bit of a hiatus, I did a quick 9 minute resource hunt, and got my 2 lead and 4+ quartz from a quarter arc around Delta island. Also picked up the power cell while I was in the area. Crafted a seatruck, grabbed the spare construction materials (just enough plasteel for a Large room), and installed the depth module in the seatruck.

Plan is to head for the lillypad deeps, and grab the body component and enough gel sacks for the hydrolic fluid. Pick up a creepvine seed on my way over to Phi station, get the relic under the bridge and the component by the ice wurms, and get the components for the the seatruck depth 3 module.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

False start-Leaving base, I passed by the Vent garden, and I made a seaglide dive for Maida's base. Unfortunately I apparently cant acces that event until after the delta station cut scene, so that's a significant time loss. Hard quit to avoid updating the hardcore save.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

1 hour, 55 minutes

Made a run to the deep lillypads, went back down for 2 magnatite. Also rooted around for the gel sacks I'll need for the bridge fluid. got the two parallel processing units out of the first wreck on my way back, as well as a spare power cell.

Unfortunately, when I got back to base, I discovered my quantum locker was empty again. Probably because there was an update since I last checked it, but that look all the ion cubes I had stored.

If I'm going to include the Maida part of the plot, I should probably start again anyway.

Spoiler: The route:
    Show

5 creepseeds, 2/4ribbon plants, and an inventory of copper/titanium/initial vein
    Craft flippers, scanner, knife, compass, 2 lube and the rest rubber. Store what I cant use immediately
    4 creepvine samples, seaglide scan, 4+ quartz, 2 boomfish sulfer, more copper/titanium
    Craft seaglide, tank
    Supply cache, resource scanner blueprint, cache's beacon, MVB blueprint, Laser cutter blueprint, artefact.
    Drop all materials at the pod. Craft resource scanner
    ALAN/ion cubes, rebreather blueprint. Calibrate scanner for lithium, aquire 2 lithium and 4 diamond from deep bridges. Aquire Seatruck extended O2 tank and hab builder blueprints, and 8+ table coral, 2+ lead.
    Build Hab builder, laser cutter, extended tank, rebreather, 2 advanced wire kit +1 chip, seatruck depth upgrade.
    Components for a basic base while swinning to the mining site: 9 titanium, 5 quartz, 3 copper. Construct and drop beacon.
    Mining site dive- artefact, moonpool/scanner room blueprints, jump jets, prawn and drill scans. More diamond.
    Craft quantum locker.
    Aquire power cell from wrecked ship, 2 plot item scans from inside ship. Hunt for 3-4 lead. Head up to Delta station. Maida encounter, map scan, modification station, water and food. jump off the cliff, scan nut artefact, restore health with nuts, return to base.
    Construct MVB, Seatruck, install depth module.
    Head to lillypad area along the purple jets area. get 3rd plot scan from small wreck. Visit Maida for plot box, defence module for seatruck, find 4 gel sacks, find archetect component. Table coral, gold, silver, and Lead, with 2 copper, as plot box components
    Construct the plot box at base, run it up to Delta station. Ignore Maida's invitation for now, head to the bridge.
    Creepvine seed on the way, scan the bridge fluid, aquire bridge artefact. minibase and craft bridge fluid. Run for the component.
    Hunt for depth upgrade components, body components bring supplies for a bioreactor large room base with a modification station and a moonpool (safely modify depth upgrade while at depth)
    Crystal caves for kyanite for depth 3. 3rd component, continue to ruby caves for body construction.
    Vist greenhouse, finish that plot thread, head to Sector Zero.
    ???? until final game.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Some optimizations to the route- coming out of the supply cave actually puts me suprisingly close to ALAN. South and Down, get the three ion cubes, ALAN, grab the rebreather, back to the pod, build the rebreather, find the hab builder, and get the lithium and diamond from the deep bridges in a single dive, rather than 7+.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

There's improvements in this route, but also pitfalls. If the pod lands too far east, it's actually faster to use a backup strat for the air tank cloth and seaglide, but the extra laser cutter scan and sulfer can slow it back down. And if the sulfer doesnt spawn in the normal tubes (which seems to always happen when I get really good Silver from the initial vein). that's another time consuming hunt to finish the laser cutter. (also, not getting the repair tool before the seaglide messes with my keybinds/muscle memory)

Even with wasted time, I'm at aroun 45 minutes to be ready to leave for the mining site. (with no sector zero trip) Having a shopping list so you know when to STOP hunting for a material really does help.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I've watched a lot of speedruns of subnautica one, and a goof percentage of it is just counting materials. There's also quite a few glitches - there's some weird shenanigans with the builder that lets you duplicate moonpools to make infinite titanium ingots, delete wrecks including their collission meshes to grab the stuff inside without needing to navigate...

You can clip the aurora to skip the radiation suit and the captain's quarters log, and you can clip some buildings to skip a bunch of tablets. At this point, optimisation in the run is down to fragment RNG and resource drop RNG, because there's no way to skip needing enough stalker teeth to build the cyclops.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave up resisting and started a new Below Zero file. Currently still in the Twisty Bridges; I got the first level O2 tank and am working on the Seaglide. Sea Monkey stole my first knife so I’m going to have to replace that.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I gave up resisting and started a new Below Zero file. Currently still in the Twisty Bridges; I got the first level O2 tank and am working on the Seaglide. Sea Monkey stole my first knife so I’m going to have to replace that.
    if you have enough air, you can chase it down and steal it back. If you leave, it shows up inside a sea monkey nest somewhere nearby, and can be picked back up.

The last update massively improved load times, too. after the last time my QLocker was cleaned out, suddenly it takes 90 seconds instead of 180 to start a new game.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    if you have enough air, you can chase it down and steal it back. If you leave, it shows up inside a sea monkey nest somewhere nearby, and can be picked back up.
    Good to know!

The last update massively improved load times, too. after the last time my QLocker was cleaned out, suddenly it takes 90 seconds instead of 180 to start a new game.
    This I did notice. Pity it's still crashing on me. I got the Seaglide, powered my way over to the Alterra dock with all the Eye Jellies, and crashed. Restarted, decided to go the other way this time, got to the cave that leads to the Alterra base with the snowman, and crashed again. I'm going to mess with the settings, see if that helps.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Good to know!

This I did notice. Pity it's still crashing on me. I got the Seaglide, powered my way over to the Alterra dock with all the Eye Jellies, and crashed. Restarted, decided to go the other way this time, got to the cave that leads to the Alterra base with the snowman, and crashed again. I'm going to mess with the settings, see if that helps.
    I'm used to my computer being a potato, so I run at minimum settings. Some frame drop in the purple jets area, but not too bad.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting... there's a plausable backup cave 615m east (and 2-3 points south) of the supply beacon, almost directly due south of the Sector Zero entrance. Sulfer, laser cutter and MVB nests. No artifact yet, but I wouldnt rule it out.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Mapping with seaglide....

There is a lit platform 675m east of the beacon. it has some food, water, a beacon blueprint, and a busted beacon. Also some Pathfinder tool markers, but I havnt tracked down the tool yet. Next to it is a drop into a cave, that has two paths deeper- Northeast and southwest- and a path to the north that returns to the surface. (north pass has a MVB nest)

Southwest passes a propulsion cannon nest and an air plant, and curves to the north/noreast side of the next major room. The north east drop you to the west/norwest side of the same room.

The room has a large hole down to another level with a prominant air plant visible, an a laser cutter nest pointing to an exit to the southeast.

The lower level has exits to southeast and southeast-by-east, a visible air plant through the north exit, and another exit to the north west. The air plant through the north exit stands above a MVB nest. There's a side passage cutting back southwest, with the norwest exit from the main room emptying into it- the side passage continues past a laser cutter nest, (with an air plant tucked in the right wall next to it) and a bulb-shaped thermal vent with a propulsion nest next to it. (edit: call this Vent Room 1)

The south east exits on the lower level empty onto a slope with an air plant on either end. More on this in a bit.

The southeast exit of theupper level leads to a fork, East or South, with east having a visible air plant. East has an exit to the southeast-by-east, and to the north, a downward slope mentioned last paragraph to an o2 plant- past the plant is a laser cutter nest, and turn around at the plant to see hidden tunnels dropping to an artifact.
    To the (south-ish) east, is a kelp area with surface access and a hole with a propulsion nest

Back at the upper level fork, south goes past an air plant (with surface access) to a second bulb-shaped thermal vent (and another air plant) with another laser cutter nest behind it. From the central vent, the direction I came in was East, there's a lava geyser to the northeast, and another exit to the north west.

To the norwest, the path enters a room with an air plant, and a ledge with a MVB nest on it. There is surface access in this room, I entered by one of the two northeast entrances flanking the nest nest ledge, and caves to the southwest and northwest that generally merge in a westerly direction to some kelp with surface access.

Back to the lava geyser, there's a cluster of 3 tunnels. the rightmost one has a visible air plant in the distance. The leftmost one has a much closer air plant, tucked into the left wall. the middle drops you on top of a propulsion cannon nest on a path between the two, next to a thermal vent. This is Vent Room 1 again. From this vent, the geyser is to the high south east- to the east is the bath back to the lower level of the central room.

I think the preferred route would be north past the lit platform to the trench, and down directly to the first MVB nest, then south to the air plant, west to the main room, grab the laser cutter, the air plant down the slope to the other air plant, the laser cutter, the artefact, and back to the lower level of the main room. North to the MVB and air plant, cut back southwest for the laser cutter from Vent room 1, up and past the geyser to the other vent room for the last laser cutter piece, and northwest up to the last MVB nest. Up to the surface, then back to the pod.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Got the Mobile Vehicle builder blueprint, got the habitat builder, got the Grav trap blueprint, got to Delta Base dock aaaand crashed again.

Let’s see what else we can turn down.

It’s frustrating because I didn’t have nearly this many problems with the original Subnautica.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Got the Mobile Vehicle builder blueprint, got the habitat builder, got the Grav trap blueprint, got to Delta Base dock aaaand crashed again.

Let’s see what else we can turn down.

It’s frustrating because I didn’t have nearly this many problems with the original Subnautica.
    save often, and use the feedback tool.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

save often, and use the feedback tool.
    I am. Saving often is what destroyed my previous save. (Accidentally saved at the end of the Moonpool exit animation.)

But meanwhile, I got the Mobile Vehicle assembler built, and built a little tube base near the Alterra bridge with a fabber and locker. Currently working on a battery charger; nearly all my tools are low battery or out of battery. It’s either that or more batteries, and I’m low enough on storage I’d need to build more of that to put the raw materials in for the batteries, and if I’m going to have to build something anyway I would just as soon build the charger.

As a side note I’m not keen on the rock resource setup in this one; I’m ending up with cartloads of Titanium, but Copper is irritatingly hard to find. And I’m going to have that problem with every other metal resource, since they’re all like that.