New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Just FYI, I read your thread regularly but never comment. So keep up the good work, astronaut!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    The offline cyclops gets, like, zero aggro.
    Concur with this. I've been in a number of situations where the most efficient way to get away from sea monsters is just to turn the engine off until they go away - maybe scout around the Cyclops with the cameras while I wait.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Concur with this. I've been in a number of situations where the most efficient way to get away from sea monsters is just to turn the engine off until they go away - maybe scout around the Cyclops with the cameras while I wait.
    So stealth is actually a thing in the 30 feet submarine?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

2 days, 1 hour, 30 minutes

First things first, alien keys. Crafting 2 purple tablets, a spare orange tablet, and a spare blue tablet.
    I cant build structures inside alien structures, but if there's an arch somewhere useful, I stuff a hab builder and materials for a solar panel, hatch, tube and fabricator into the back of the prawn. I also put my remaining purified waters, and my reserve of ration bars from the aurora wreck in there- if I'm away from a food source that long, it's the most compact way to fill up. it's also a non-renewable resource.

First thing I find is an infinite Ion cube generator. There's a force field as one of 8 doorways from this room, and some alien artifacts to scan. Learning my lesson from last time, I leave the prawn in the central room. Starting from the left of the forcefield, i find an arch... connecting to the arch I already identified, next to my base. I should label that arch in the containment room... beacons. I swing by the base, but I already stripped it of resources before taking off, and the scanner doesnt detect limestone, and the only copper is large deposits, and I left my drill back in the central room. *sigh*

Going all the way back to the cyclops, I craft my remaining copper (I precrafted too many copper wires, I should have left more reserve) into 4 beacons, and pull 2 more from my deployables locker.

The 9 oclock door leads to the air plant. There's scan data about Peepers coming and going through those alien vents I discovered ages ago. No arch.

The 730 door leads to an arch. it goes nowhere I have an immediate presence, but I recognize a "bulb zone" bulb. Good enough to identify it.

The 6 oclock door, above the entrance,leads to some kind of autopsy facility, giving scan data on Sea Emperor young.

The 3 oclock door leads to an egg collection

The 430 and 130 doos lead to arches, though I forget which is which, now. One leads to the far south of the map, almost directly south of the lifepod. I tenatively lable this as "Crag zone?", whild dropping a beacon on the other side of the arch- it's decently near some of my secondary bases in the Grand Reef, I think. The other leads to a section of the Lost River I did not explore, due west of the enforement platform. My last beacon went to labling that section.

I'm getting a calorie warning at this point, but I'm not that far from my sub- rather than ear an irreplacable food bar, I return to the sub for lanturn fruit.

Finally, the 12 oclock forcefield requires a second blue tablet, which thankfully I crafted at the start of this session. Inside is something that looks like a moonpool. dropping in with the prawnsuit... a leviathan swims up, and talks to me. This is the voice that was psychically speaking to me. "Will you swim with the current, or against it, as those who built this facility did?"

The room is a lot larger than the moonpool- large enough for the leviathan- the Sea Emperor? to swim in circles. I can actually craft a base inside the natural enviroment, though the solar panel doesnt work. Getting the prawn suit out of the aquarium is also something of an adventure. In just flippers, you can get over the lip with a dolphin jump out of the water, if you aim it right, but the prawn suit needs an awkward combination of grapple and jump jets to swing onto the lowest platform- and then tends to get stuck. Getting it back to the ion cube generator involved a lot of grapple slides. I go back to the cyclops for materials for a multipurpose room and bioreactor- there's plenty of room down there, plenty of life, and air doesnt actually seem to drain power, just require it.

Once the air station is built in the aquarium, I try and figure out what the creature wants. There's an arch, buried in sand, and a cave layer to the aquarium. I'm down to trying to swim with the leviathan in circles, when I finally notice the eggs in front of the arch. Ion cube, and another conversation. Set the creatures young free, and "I will give you freely what they sought to take" IE, the cure.

More floundering for awhile until I head over to the arch, and suddenly the Sea emperor is blowing away the sand. Another ion cube, and the gateway is open. the leviathan gives me a recipy for an enxime to hatch it's eggs, which is also presumably a cure to the disease. The components are a bunch of plant samples, the sort of thingI'd discarded as "useless" previously. So it's going to be a final fetch quest.

The arch in the aquarium leads outside the enforcement platform, an easy swim to the alien moonpool and the alien thermal plant arch. Not really useful, except for the probable final shutdown of the defense gun, before launch.

A big central hub... one of the spokes of which is already next to my main base. Might as well bring the Cyclops home.

The long trip home has no significant events, other than crossing one of the moonpools I built in Lost River and using it to give the prawn suit it's final upgrade, the thermal reactor. Still have 3 kyanite left. On a hunch, I also take a sample of one of the Lost River's flora- yep, part of the recipy. I get two samples.

Docking back at base is a good point to call it. the thermal plants meant that the cyclops is still at 99% power. The purified water locker is nearly empty, but the bleach locker is still full. Copper is my biggest consumable, and I spotted those lrge copper deposits when I looked around from the arch- mining them will probably be my first priority next session. Then figuring out where the samples I want are at.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Yes. There is actually a 'Silent Running' mode you can use for stealth, but it takes more battery juice than normal whereas turning off the engine takes less. Not sure if that was intended player behavior.

I'm getting a calorie warning at this point, but I'm not that far from my sub- rather than ear an irreplacable food bar
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who treats those things like gold.

I go back to the cyclops for materials for a multipurpose room and bioreactor- there's plenty of room down there, plenty of life, and air doesnt actually seem to drain power, just require it.
    That has always been a head-scratcher for me: what is the point of emergency power if it doesn't cover basic life support?

Once the air station is built in the aquarium, I try and figure out what the creature wants. There's an arch, buried in sand, and a cave layer to the aquarium. I'm down to trying to swim with the leviathan in circles, when I finally notice the eggs in front of the arch. Ion cube, and another conversation. Set the creatures young free, and "I will give you freely what they sought to take" IE, the cure.

More floundering for awhile until I head over to the arch, and suddenly the Sea emperor is blowing away the sand. Another ion cube, and the gateway is open. the leviathan gives me a recipy for an enxime to hatch it's eggs, which is also presumably a cure to the disease. The components are a bunch of plant samples, the sort of thingI'd discarded as "useless" previously. So it's going to be a final fetch quest.
    IMO the triggers for this part of the game were a bit clunky; it could have used a little more telegraphing about what you're supposed to do next, because with the arch buried it's not obvious you're supposed to use it until after the scene plays out, and it's far enough from the eggs I wasn't triggering it by accident.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Two things to note. The Arch in the Sea Emperor's hab is near a wreck that might spawn in before you realize if you leave with the Prawn Suit. I lost one to the wreck appearing around me.

And the arch leading to the Bulb Zone actually sits on a small shelf overlooking the long easy sloping entrance to the Lost River/Lava Zone area. Also that area has quite a lot of large prawn accessible resource nodes.

The food bars in the Aurora are nice but Salted Reginald and Large Water will keep you going forever.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

it's possible to despawn wrecks by building a habitat piece through them. Not the intended way to explore themm though it's used for the speedrun, but should work to free up your prawn if it gets stuck.

For the ration bars, I just got a mod that lets me craft more.

Good luck to you on finding the resources for the enzymes, Rak. Four of them are pretty easy, but that fifth one's a doozy.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

2 days, 4 hours, 30 minutes.

The first four parts of the enzime were easy. The last is an ongoing wild goose chase.

The copper mining went as planned. While I was in the mushroom forest, I picked up a pair of Fungal samples, and put the copper and the fungal samples in storage.

Fungal samples were at one of the primary research facility's gateways, and the ghost stalk thing was found in the Lost River, which another of the gateways onnect to. The bulb sample was an easy pickup through the bulb zone gateway, and a little searching outside the Crag Field gate found that component

But where to find the Sea Crown?

There's two other exits from the primary containment facility- a lava area with no flora and angry fauna, and also the aquarium gateway to the quarantine enforcement facility. No dice on the sea floor there.

as a combination of search pattern and to double check I'm not being stupid, I walked the prawn suit across the Mountian's sea floor toward the beacon I placed at the North Lost River entrance- I entered easilly enough, confirmed the ghost plant was the native lost-river component, and came home through the gate.

Perhaps it was a safe shallows plant I missed? No dice. I did accidently fumble my depth upgrade for the seamoth during this, losing it to the abyss. On the other hand, I found a few metal fragments, and tried the "eating out of my hand" apprach the Degasi survivors seccomended. Got a pair of Stalker teeth.

Might as well pull on the other threads available to me. The launch pad, gantry, and engines were easy enough. The fuel reserve, i already made the needed ion cells, but I needed one more Kyanite.

Prawnsuit to gate nexus, to aquarium, to Enforcement platform, inside the platform, and gate to the Alien Thermal Plant. Now you're thinking with portals. There was a loose kyanite inside the lava chamber, helpfully pointed out by a scanner station I left in operation nearby.

On the way back, I took the prawnsuit up the mountian the enforcement platform is on. There's another gateway that I now recognize as one I can feed an ion cube to, (unfortunately, the prawn cant get through the door to that room), and I open a gate to the floating island. No sea crowns on land, of course, but it will let me quickly get back if I'm in that area.

Did you know prawn suits dont take falling damage, even jumping from a mountian? Weee!

Finishing up the Neptune rocket was relatively straightfoward. Even the shield generator was already built, plugged in but never used. I used the last of my precrafted titanium ingots got the plasteel for the Neptune, but I have enough reserve titanium if I need it for something else. With that commitment seen to, I also re-craft the seamoth depth upgrade, and level it to 500m.

I just need to find that darn Seacrown plant. There's only so many biomes in this game, I'll get it eventually.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just to note: apart from the plant that you actually find in the Sea Emperor's pool, all the others are near the exits for those teleportation arches you discovered--that's literally why those things are there.

When I did this part the game had bugged out and I actually had a regular leviathan swimming around in the empty air inside the alien facility's main chamber, which made negotiating that area somewhat fun!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

If you manage to scan the Reapers you'll learn that they hunt by echolocation, so it kinda makes sense.

Also terrifying because it means that any time you can hear one roaring it means it can already see you.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Mechanically that's not actually how it works, but it is nice that audible roars are a way to tell you're near a Reaper's detection bubble, if not actually in it yet.

And yeah, the Sea Crown is the one I meant when I said one of them is hard to find. There are an extremely limited number of the cheeky blighters in the game, and nothing directly pointing you to where they are. If you don't stumble across one by accident, or look up the location, you could be searching for a very long time indeed without finding any.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Mechanically that's not actually how it works, but it is nice that audible roars are a way to tell you're near a Reaper's detection bubble, if not actually in it yet.

And yeah, the Sea Crown is the one I meant when I said one of them is hard to find. There are an extremely limited number of the cheeky blighters in the game, and nothing directly pointing you to where they are. If you don't stumble across one by accident, or look up the location, you could be searching for a very long time indeed without finding any.
    Eh, that destroys the immersion though. Besides, they wander a bit so if you can hear it there's a chance it'll come for you eventually.

The Sea Crown can either be the easiest or the hardest piece to find, and that's all I'll say. I'm sure Rak can Google where it is if they want spoilers on it without us giving them.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Eh, that destroys the immersion though. Besides, they wander a bit so if you can hear it there's a chance it'll come for you eventually.

The Sea Crown can either be the easiest or the hardest piece to find, and that's all I'll say. I'm sure Rak can Google where it is if they want spoilers on it without us giving them.
    A bit late now, but I'll try to make it sound like I discovered them naturally. :p

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

there's one cave with one that I usually stumble across early on and, knowing I'll need it eventually, grab a couple seeds. But if you don't know it's coming, or that the plant is rare, or that it's in that particular cave, you wouldn't know to do that.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

ahem...

2 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes.

So where to start?

Checking my PDA, there's three lifepods that dont have locator beacons. One south of the aurora in the crag zone, one on the surface that I think I came across coming home from my first aborted aurora trip but never exploited, and a third that uses thesurface lifepod as a direction gude instead of the aurora.

Craft a beacon, swim to the aft of the aurora drop it, and dodge Reaper leviathans in the seamoth trying to get a KM of distance. (strafe when you hear a close roar, and you will get some scraping against your hull, but not a grab.) The crag zone lifepod, lifepod 7, has a bobblehead, a hat and a toy car. I'm sure this voice log will prove enlightening.

Going around the reaper zone to pick up the beacon, drop the seamoth roughly amidships, swim out 150m and look around- even if you get the position or angle wrong, in daylight you can see it from about anywhere. Drop the beacon, pick up the seamoth, dodge some mushrooms, get a bit of false hope when you see those violet fan plants, and it's not that hard to find. No luck. Searching the mushroom forest between them turns up nothing the other mushroom forest doesnt have.

Bulb zone is probably the next place to start. from somewhere between the two lifepods, I set off for the Bulb Zone Arch beacon, searching the sea floor.

Lifepod 12 happened to be close enough to my line to be worth checking out. No PDA, I must have picked it up earlier, but across from the thermal vent...

Ok, it wasnt quite that easy. It's on a higher ledge and just outside close load-in range. I actually got distracted by a cave dive, cut my air relatively close, made a rush for the surface, and spotted it coming back down for the seamoth. But it's on a ledge overlooking the geyser.

Getting three samples, I came home. Made an underwater planter, planted two, crafted one into an enzime.

That's probably enough "Luck" for one day.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    there's one cave with one that I usually stumble across early on and, knowing I'll need it eventually, grab a couple seeds. But if you don't know it's coming, or that the plant is rare, or that it's in that particular cave, you wouldn't know to do that.
    It actually occurs in a number of places, but IMO the easiest is

Spoiler: Sea Crown
    Show
    In the tank with mommy Sea Emperor.

Besides those and the ones Rak found, the Red Kelp zone (I’m guessing this is the area you usually hit Destro?) has some and so does Dunes. They seem to like caves.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Epilogue:

Probably should have just carried through to the end of the game, after that.

Taking the prawn suit down to the primary containment facility is fast and easy, from my base. hatching the eggs, simple enough. Once through the gate the juvinile egg emperors begin producing blobs, which I stick my hand into. #cured. And hey, the enforcement facility is right there.

After shutting down the laser, the facility gets dark and creepy. In any other game, this is where the twist happens, the enemy the weapon system was REALLY holding off would attack.

Not my problem. Like most predators in this game, ignore them, and they will mostly ignore you back. Perhaps the sequel touches on the subject of a broken quarentine defense system on an infected planet.

The Neptune is already built. I take the chance to craft a spare enzime, and an ion battery cutting tool, before heading up the rocket. Going down the checklist- Power, Comunications, Hydrolics, Computer, Life support, and time capsule. hello, whoever finds it. Have a cure for the desease ravanging this planet. Also a battery.

As someone who plays Kerbal, I have issues with the flight path the neptune takes. But that's not important. The Sea Emperor has one last message for me, affirming our connection. Roll Credits.

...also, Alterra wont let me land until I pay them for all the resources I mined from a biohazard planet.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

...also, Alterra wont let me land until I pay them for all the resources I mined from a biohazard planet.
    By very dint that you're an Alterra employee, and any unclaimed planet you land on becomes theirs. And all its resources.

Resources that you used.

Tsk, tsk, stealing from your employer?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    By very dint that you're an Alterra employee, and any unclaimed planet you land on becomes theirs. And all its resources.

Resources that you used.

Tsk, tsk, stealing from your employer?
    I just gotta say, Alterra had better have a PHENOMENAL hazard pay policy after all that.

And I do wish the aforementioned sequel was a little more stable.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlackDragon

After shutting down the laser, the facility gets dark and creepy. In any other game, this is where the twist happens, the enemy the weapon system was REALLY holding off would attack.
    Not sure if serious, but the game makes it quite clear that the reason the weapon system is there is to provide a quarantine to prevent the disease getting off the planet--if nobody lands or takes off because they're evaporated when they try, no way the disease gets out, right? I think there's an implication that it somehow got out anyway and killed all the aliens, which is why nobody knows about them, but that part might be just my headcanon and not supported by in-game text like the above bit is.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not sure if serious, but the game makes it quite clear that the reason the weapon system is there is to provide a quarantine to prevent the disease getting off the planet--if nobody lands or takes off because they're evaporated when they try, no way the disease gets out, right? I think there's an implication that it somehow got out anyway and killed all the aliens, which is why nobody knows about them, but that part might be just my headcanon and not supported by in-game text like the above bit is.
    Other way around.

Spoiler
    Show
    The plague killed a bunch of them first, then they came to 4546B to study it and were experimenting on the native life to find a cure. They figured out the Sea Emperor made an enzyme that cured it, but she was sick/old/damaged and not making it well enough, so they wanted to hatch her eggs. So they started researching the other Leviathan species to figure out how to do that, BUT they didn’t have the facilities for adults, so they started stealing Leviathan eggs. After this one of the parent Leviathans followed them back to the Lost River facility and attacked it; that caused a breach which released one of their infected test subjects, and bye-bye biosphere, hello Kharaa plague.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-08-31 at 02:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'd have to double check the PDA, but I'm pretty sure alien data downloads support the idea that there was a containment failure that resulted in widespread infection in the alien civilization. My impression was that it happened BEFORE the sea emperor was captured, and that the whole base was a crash program to find a cure.

And as I said, "any other game," meaning not Subnautica. Perhaps it was just a different "creepy alien facility" track that came on after the shutdown, but it felt ominous, not like I had finally dealt with the last barrier between me and escaping the planet.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

And as I said, "any other game," meaning not Subnautica. Perhaps it was just a different "creepy alien facility" track that came on after the shutdown, but it felt ominous, not like I had finally dealt with the last barrier between me and escaping the planet.
    Yeah, I remember being very creeped out by the facility after shutdown as well, like Something was going to jump me at any second.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

It actually occurs in a number of places, but IMO the easiest is

Show
    In the tank with mommy Sea Emperor.

Besides those and the ones Rak found, the Red Kelp zone (I’m guessing this is the area you usually hit Destro?) has some and so does Dunes. They seem to like caves.
    Show
    That would be the easiest if I knew where in the tank it was, but I've always just found that early one. It's in a sort of sinkhole cave, I think in the red weed plateaus. Might be near the north mushroom forest?

And yeah, the ending is funny. While I know that it's mostly there for the joke, I feel like Riley could probably turn the huge bill into a job opportunity, as the person who knows the most about the planet. At very least, he could hand Alterra a bill right back for all the work he did making the planet habitable. Releasing the Sea Emperor juveniles will cure the whole biosphere eventually.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    If you manage to scan the Reapers you'll learn that they hunt by echolocation, so it kinda makes sense.

Also terrifying because it means that any time you can hear one roaring it means it can already see you.
    Sadly, that's not how echolocation would work. The Reapers emit a sound to track me, so being completely still shouldn't make me invisible to them.

I just gotta say, Alterra had better have a PHENOMENAL hazard pay policy after all that.

And I do wish the aforementioned sequel was a little more stable.
    Altera is notoriously cheap and amoral in its business practices. The ship who come and rescue you has a discussion about how a lot of distress signals are just Altera ships crying wolf for a free spare part or fuel or whatnot, and that the company deliberately under equip their ships to rely on the Good Samaritan policy of other spacers.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Altera is notoriously cheap and amoral in its business practices. The ship who come and rescue you has a discussion about how a lot of distress signals are just Altera ships crying wolf for a free spare part or fuel or whatnot, and that the company deliberately under equip their ships to rely on the Good Samaritan policy of other spacers.
    But because they're such a large company and have so much power, smaller companies play along because they really don't have much of a choice...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

I've started to watch other lets-plays, and overrreactions are hilarius.

Or perhaps they arnt overreactions. Perhaps seeing a flash of motion in the murky distance is supposed to reduce you to incoherent babbling. Perhaps I'm just jaded- that first encounter (in the unsaved section) with the Reaper where I got 80% of a scan before it ran off threw off my threat assessment, and there were a few deaths I recieved because I simply didnt give them enough respect.

I never built a heat blade, never fired a torpedo, and almost never remembered I crafted a Stasis rifle or propulsion gun. (and never crafted the repulsion cannon) My policy with large predators was to ignore them, and occasionally juke if I thought it could help, but if I had to die, best if it didnt destroy my equipment. (biters, bleeders and spiders got knifed, of course)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Reapers be pretty scary. Probably a lot of them are playing it up, but the distant roars can be pretty unsettling.

I basically never use torpedoes, or a heat blade. Not really necessary. Stasis Rifle can be nice in a pinch, but it's big so I don't usually carry it around. Propulsion cannon is magical. Using it to fling spiders into the stratosphere is so satisfying.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I can easily see not bothering with torpedos, and I never got the hang of the Stasis Rifle myself, but why no heat blade? It has all the functionality of a normal knife, plus as long as you’re in a biome with prey fish you don’t need to bring food: just kill fish as you get hungry.

30. - Top - End - #120

I mean, I got to the lava castle without ever building a weapon in my playthrough. Running from reapers can get you very far.
    Resident Vancian Apologist