New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I can easily see not bothering with torpedos, and I never got the hang of the Stasis Rifle myself, but why no heat blade? It has all the functionality of a normal knife, plus as long as you’re in a biome with prey fish you don’t need to bring food: just kill fish as you get hungry.
    Holdover from when knives had durability, for me. The thermoblade used to break super fast, so I just got used to not using it.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

I'm still amused by the Fanon that Subnautica guy and Shipbreaker guy are the same person and Subnautica is how he racked up such an enormous debt.

Personally I never actually built an escape rocket so my guy just sent: I have control of this planet's defenses. Therefore it is now mine. Take your bill and stick it.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Sadly, that's not how echolocation would work. The Reapers emit a sound to track me, so being completely still shouldn't make me invisible to them.
    Yes but less noise is better when being targeted by a predator that hunts by sound.

Running into some unusual problems on my own recent playthrough. I'm using a modded version that let's you craft extra depth and a drill arm for the Seamoth. This keeps a lot of the tension because many of the enemies in the late game that the prawn can safely ignore almost 1-shot the seamoth. The problem is that this means I can't drill things on dry land, which means I can't access the infinite supply of ion cubes. It's a small problem in the grand scheme of things, but inconvenient since I can't afford to activate all the teleporters.

There's another mod on the nexus that I'm eyeing that lets you spawn in additional leviathans at the start of your game. I'm not sure if you can randomize their placement, but if so it would be nice for when I re-play the game in VR one day.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2020-09-02 at 09:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any interest in a letsplay of a second playthrough?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

I'd follow it. The second go through you already know all the stuff, and where to find things, and so it ends up being a lot less about exploration... but there's usually a thing or two that you missed, so the game can still surprise you in places.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, would be nice to not havd to avoid spoilers in answers.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

First session:
    So, since I already did a survival run, lets kick it up to Hardcore.

The life pod landed practically on top of a geyser, and near a kelp forest. All the speedruns I've seen love these things, easy access to silver, gold and lead, you just have to watch how much heat you take.

Easy tank, flippers, knife and scanner, but died to the geyser heat (I think), so that was a real short run.

Second attempt, 26 minutes in
    This time, spawned almost on top of a minor cave system with easy copper and sulfur. There was a kelp forect just outside visual range from the pod, and it had sandstone, too. So tank, scanner, flippers, knife, repair tool, some bleach for emergency water, scanned 2 vehical bay fragments, and I even played frisbee with the doggos for 3 teeth before I needed to go back for a medkit. I've got enough lead for the radiation suit, once the aurora blows, and I just crafted the hab builder.

Pretty good start so far. I havnt run into any radiation zones or seen any grassland biomes. The kelp forest I saw is a narrow canyon, probably 240 south by 50 west, which would put the pod around 130 south or so.

According to the map, there's the Degasi entrance to the Jellyshroom cave not too much further from the forest I believe I'm at, and that degasi hab has a multipurpose room. I've also got a few wrecks to check out. And my old base location at the western mushroom forest should be a good place to get cyclops fragments, if I can get an airbase that low.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope. Got overambitious looking for the degasi jellyshroom hole. Working my way "south" from the kelp forest, I must have gotten turned around. I found a jellyshroom cave on the border of grass and kelp, probably one on the 200 south by 200-400 west area. Trying to guesstimate which way the degasi was from there, (I only check the map between sessions), I found a drop to the grand reef, and got distracted by a wreck with prawn suit drills. I gave myself 30 seconds plus a basic tank swap to get to the surface. It was not enough.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

3rd hardcore attempt: 14 minutes in.
    I'm getting faster at the initial buildup.

Started nearly on top of a large coral tube. no obvous kelp forest, but swimming in a random direction yielded something. Picked up gold, silver and lead at the same time as the seed pods I need for the knife and flippers- a few close calls there, but made it back to craft O2, flippers, scanner, repair tool. The hab builder didnt take much longer.

Life pod is roughly in line with the aft bulkhead of the Aurora, but no idea of distance. I want to say I'm near 0,0 but I cant say for sure.

Edit: Made some forays north, scanned a full seamoth blueprint, but failed to watch my health around Biters when scanning laser cutter fragments.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-20 at 02:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Nope. Got overambitious looking for the degasi jellyshroom hole. Working my way "south" from the kelp forest, I must have gotten turned around. I found a jellyshroom cave on the border of grass and kelp, probably one on the 200 south by 200-400 west area. Trying to guesstimate which way the degasi was from there, (I only check the map between sessions), I found a drop to the grand reef, and got distracted by a wreck with prawn suit drills. I gave myself 30 seconds plus a basic tank swap to get to the surface. It was not enough.
    If it helps, I believe you can use Bladderfish for air if you have any in your inventory.

Keep an eye out for the Brain Coral too.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

4th attempt. 38 minutes in

Life pod was right on the edge of a kelp field, albet one with poor sandstone access, probably somewhere along the 200 west line. Could not for for the life of me find a sulfer cave, but I got lucky with scans when criss crossing the safe shallows looking for one. I am now the proud new owner of a Beacon and a Seaglide. Between the lifepod and a beacon, triangulation will become much easier. And of course the Seaglide (and a spare high capacity tank) should make it harder to drown when scanning in the deep.

Update: I was doing so well. Found the degasi hab, and parts for a scanner room. It's a bit of a long dive, but with the seaglide I was able to get down to it, scan the multipurpose room and observatory, come back up to the airbase. Go down, find a magnatite, come back, build a scanner room and a hud chip. Go down, scan the water filtration system, come back. (no ruby or gel sacks nearby, alas) Go down, get 2-3 mangnatite and a diamond, come back up. Go in for the data box and queen size bed scan... clip a seaweed on the way out of the base, instant game over. Dammit!
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-20 at 06:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, those stingers are murderous. I usually remove them with the propulsion cannon before going in there, and I also usually wait until I have the seamoth before doing the jellyshroom stuff.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Yeah, those stingers are murderous. I usually remove them with the propulsion cannon before going in there, and I also usually wait until I have the seamoth before doing the jellyshroom stuff.
    I was doing so well, and that was probably going to be my last run inside, anyway. *sigh* I probably should have made a secondary airbase in the flore of the cave, if I had enough materials for a bioreactor. Or even a rebreather.

Format question for you all. The blind survival run made sence to run by timestamp, but with Hardcore I'm going to be playing through the early game a lot, and I'm not going to have a timestamp for my failures.

Should I go for one post per session, or per run? Most of my attempts have been, "Rush the early setup, start exploring, meet an untimely end before reaching another solid breakpoint," so I've been doing a lot of "Here's my start. Edit: and here's how it falls apart" posts and/or double posts. What do you all feel works best?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

How about one post per milestone? Something like speedrunners do, with splits. Of course if the run fails before the first milestone happens, than that's simple enough to do in one.

possible milestones:

- Aurora reactor fixed
    - Glowshroom Degasi Base
    - Deep Reef Degasi Base
    - Lost River research facility
    - Lava Castle/Emperor Aquarium (I usually do these both in one trip because I hate going to the lava zones. After you've been once there's teleporters in case you missed something)
    - Eggs hatched
    - Rocket Launch

Another thing I do early is rush the floating island for marblemelons and the multipurpose room, so that I don't need to worry about food ever again, and water is a bit less of a thing. I forget what wrecks the water filtration machine is in, but I know one of the degasi bases has one, so I usually leave that for a bit.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2020-09-21 at 01:53 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

I have to think that eventually you'll stop dying so much. I think you've died more times in this thread than I have in several hundred hours of playing the game. I suppose I'm naturally very cautious when I play due to my thalassophobia though.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Obligatory post of this video. Is best to watch after you finish the game. Since you finished it, it's time to post this for your enjoyment.

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Very good run, ruined by a misclick.

Got my early game, with rebreather and compass, and got some good scans for an early seamoth in the northern mushroom forest. wandered into the mountians. Since I was in the area, I went into the QEF sub bay, got a cube, took the gate to the floating island, and got the multipurpose room, indoor and outdoor growbeds, and marblemelon seeds. Came back to the QEF, headed generally west, toward my preferred base location. Nailed the underwater island wreck, but lost my seamoth to the local wildlife while I was exploring it.

I took my time setting up the base, got 2/3 of the cyclops components, got a vehical modification station, had several options for prawn suit arms.

Set up a scanner station just above the crevace at 250 south by 750 west, went down looking for ruby. I had a rebreather, and a spare oxygen bottle, so I wasnt too worried. I started back with 30 seconds left on my first air bottle.

And I dropped the second air tank instead of swapping it. I had plenty of time to fumble around looking for it and to curse my misclick before I drowned.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, welcome to one of the reasons I never bother with swapping out air tanks. Far safer to stick with places you can get there and back on a single tank.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm probably going to stick to 1 solid run a day- I've got a class that I really should be working on.

Landed in the far south, somewhere like 450 south by 100 west, or so. got my basics, used the radio to get a seaglide from the lifepod with a damaged one (plus a box I stumbled over on the way), built my portable base and a seaglide on the spot.

Worked my way west, then rode the kelp forest/grassland border. Scanned a few wrecks and seamoth parts. Biters were annoying. Went back to the lifepod for a medkit.

Since I was so far south, the jellyshroom Degasi hab was practically right there. Might as well go for the multipurpose room. Navigation without the compass is a pain, so I accidently ended up above the Grand Reefs wreck- Got a gel pod there, which would make advanced material hunting easier later on. Thermal plant and scanner room scans, mostly.

Got to the Degasi hole, and this time I put the minihab a good 15-20m inside the hole, making all my trips easier. The hab had some nice stuff outside- a full moonpool, a full modification station, a full stasis rifle, and a single nuke plant fragment. I was also able to scan the water filtration system from the outside, and the multipurpose and observatory. Magnatite and shale was available, so I started working on a laser cutter.

Then I come up from one trip to find there's radiation outside my minihab. Ok, I've got lead from cracking sandstone earlier, but I need fiber. I make a trip to the local kelp forest, come back with enough for the first fiber... and there's radiation INSIDE the hab. I stick with the plan, go out for another pair of creepvine samples, and die at the replicator. Sigh.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

After the Aurora explodes, the radiation bubble it kicks out is pretty big. Enough to cover the northeast mushroom forest and most of the koosh zone. I don't think it reaches any of the lifepod spawns, but it covers almost everything east of them that isn't also covered in Reaper leviathans. Another reason to make fixing it a priority... or at least, to go for the lifepod replicator instead of one in a radiation zone.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

After the Aurora explodes, the radiation bubble it kicks out is pretty big. Enough to cover the northeast mushroom forest and most of the koosh zone. I don't think it reaches any of the lifepod spawns, but it covers almost everything east of them that isn't also covered in Reaper leviathans. Another reason to make fixing it a priority... or at least, to go for the lifepod replicator instead of one in a radiation zone.
    My issue was more that the bubble wasnt static. The aurora exploded when I was still back at the Great Reef, but the radiation zone expanded over my hab after I was using it for awhile- and I had the initial impression that the hab itself protected me.

That said, this is an easy lesson, as you said- Build your rad suit away from the rad zone.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I think the way it works is that before the Aurora explodes there's no radiation, and then once it does explode the bubble expands slowly outwards from the Aurora until it reaches a fixed size or the drives are fixed, whichever comes first. Once the drives ARE fixed, the bubble slowly contracts until, once again, it no longer exists. I don't know how long any of this takes, what rates the bubble expands or contracts, but I think I've said previously that I usually rush the Aurora once it explodes to fix the drive core and loot the rest of the ship, so it's never really been an issue.

The way habs work is also a bit weird, because they can be built anywhere. Sometimes you'll see a fish school (the ones with no collission) swimming through a room or hallway. I think the way it works is that passing through a 'module entry', either a hatch or a moonpool, turns on gravity and turns off the underwater filters. It might also turn off ambient temperature detection, but I'm not sure. Point is, anything that works underwater needs to be specifically turned off for it to not work inside a hab, and radiation clearly isn't.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2020-09-22 at 10:48 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

I will say, though- replaying the start of the game over and over, consulting the map far more than I did in my initial playthrough, I'm getting a much better sence of spacial awareness, of where all the biomes and wrecks are in relation to one another, and the sorts of things I can expect in each biome.

The route on that last run felt good- the seaglide, the western grassland scans, the grand reef wreck, and the jellyshroom degasi... get me a cyclops engine from, I think, the crag and/or crash zones (watch out for the crash zone reaper), deal with the aurora (and check out the cargo bay and lab, which I missed in my first run) and get the Prawn. Then jump over to the route on the run I had the big base build on: North mushroom, enforcement island to floating island, degasi habs and food, back, then underwater island wreck, mushroom wreck, and build the big base. (I like the verticality of that site, because vertical ladders are teleporters- you can get from the mushroom forest floor to the surface in 5 seconds. Bit expensive titanium wise, though.)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, vertical teleport ladders are fun. It is expensive on titanium, though - I've got a mod that adds resource drills, which generate resources based on the biome you set them up in.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

I think the way it works is that before the Aurora explodes there's no radiation, and then once it does explode the bubble expands slowly outwards from the Aurora until it reaches a fixed size or the drives are fixed, whichever comes first. Once the drives ARE fixed, the bubble slowly contracts until, once again, it no longer exists. I don't know how long any of this takes, what rates the bubble expands or contracts, but I think I've said previously that I usually rush the Aurora once it explodes to fix the drive core and loot the rest of the ship, so it's never really been an issue.

The way habs work is also a bit weird, because they can be built anywhere. Sometimes you'll see a fish school (the ones with no collission) swimming through a room or hallway. I think the way it works is that passing through a 'module entry', either a hatch or a moonpool, turns on gravity and turns off the underwater filters. It might also turn off ambient temperature detection, but I'm not sure. Point is, anything that works underwater needs to be specifically turned off for it to not work inside a hab, and radiation clearly isn't.
    This is exactly right. It takes about 2 or 3 day cycles for the radiation to travel either way in my experience.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly probably best to memorize what you need for the Rad suit and prep it as soon as you spawn. That way as soon as the Aurora blows you can get yourself safe.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

rad suit's pretty easy, too. It's two lead two fiber, and you'll probably have lead anyways from searching for silver.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly so being able to assemble it as soon aa you get the pattern is literally a life saver.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

4 hours, 44 minutes. Status: Not dead.

Built a scanner, knife and repair tool the first time I came back to the pod, and ran across early seaglide fragments, so early game went smoothly. I tried to replicate the "seaglide lifepod, and go west" but aimed a bit too far north- when the grassland gave way to (west) mushroom forest, I said screw it, and made a temporary base where the real base would be, eventually.

After outfitting for another expedition, I went over the safe shallow southward, explored a few wrecks, got to the grand reef wreck dropoff, found a thermal reactor, drill arm, and a full modification station. (have you ever seen a modification station fragment in a crate? It looked weird) I also found a time capsule with a laser cutter, along with a scanner, hab builder, and repair tool, all with ion batteries. I had the radiation suit in hand before reaching the jellyshroom degasi hole, but without being able to use the the rebreather, I put the airbase a little deeper this time. Degasi had a full nuclear reactor, along with the usual stasis rifle, water purification, multipurpose, but not much else. It took me awhile to find a magnatite, too. (I didnt go for the databox without a rebreather)

After fruitlessly searching the crag zone and some of the crash site for engine fragments, (though I did get a nice load of ruby. No gel sacks yet) Iheaded back to the lifepod to clear out my inventory before heading into the aurora. Found the cargo bay, which had a full cyclops engine inside, and got the usual efficency moduel, seamoth depth, and cargo modules. Radiation gone, Prawnsuit aquired, though I didnt have the captian's cabin code on me, so it wasnt a clean sweep.(I tried to guess a few times from memory, but no dice) came out with several posters and a nice stockpile of nutrient bars.

I tried sweeping the east mushroom forest before going back to the lifepod, but ran into inventory issues. I completed the cyclops and moonpool blueprints, and went back to the pod without going on to the enforcement platform as originally planned.

With moonpool, multipurpose, and several vehical blueprints, I drooped as much of the rations as i could in the lifepod, loaded up with components, and returned to the minibase at the west mushroom forest. after some building and resource gathering, the moonpool and bioreactor are in, and the elevator to the midlevel is complete. Next up is moving everything (Fab, radio, solar, medicfab) from the minibase over to the main base.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Found the cargo bay, which had a full cyclops engine inside, and got the usual efficency moduel, seamoth depth, and cargo modules. Radiation gone, Prawnsuit aquired, though I didnt have the captian's cabin code on me, so it wasnt a clean sweep.(I tried to guess a few times from memory, but no dice) came out with several posters and a nice stockpile of nutrient bars.

I tried sweeping the east mushroom forest before going back to the lifepod, but ran into inventory issues.
    You got through the entire Aurora and started on another biome before you ran into inventory issues? You must have a lot more self-control than I do; my usual looting habits tend to result in multiple trips no matter where I go.