New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    You got through the entire Aurora and started on another biome before you ran into inventory issues? You must have a lot more self-control than I do; my usual looting habits tend to result in multiple trips no matter where I go.
    Lol yea. I knew it was going to be a problem before I went in. The trick is: Medkits and disinfected water are effectively infinite, outside the aurora. Keep what you need to survive, toss the rest. The duffle bags are just lockers that take up more space. Other than the vehical upgrades, the only stuff in the aurora worth looting is ration bars, posters, and the stuffed toy.

Even so, I cleared out my inventory before I went in, and got greedy with trying for the biome after.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rak's Subnautica playthrough (moved from the what are you playing thread)

Dumb thought that probably doesnt work.

The seamoth apparently doesnt crush while inside the cyclops bay, and even when launched, it doesnt crush instantly. How many seconds does it take to explode? Can you extend that with hull reinforcements to add health to the seamoth?

...because apparently seamoths dont aggro Sea Dragons. It would be a 1 way safe trip, if it lasts long enough.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Dumb thought that probably doesnt work.

The seamoth apparently doesnt crush while inside the cyclops bay, and even when launched, it doesnt crush instantly. How many seconds does it take to explode? Can you extend that with hull reinforcements to add health to the seamoth?

...because apparently seamoths dont aggro Sea Dragons. It would be a 1 way safe trip, if it lasts long enough.
    It doesn't last long at all. And I can tell you from playing with depth mods for the seamoth that it does aggro. It just doesn't have a special attack animation for it.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the cyclops doesn't aggro at all, provided it's turned off. It's also durable enough to take a couple hits even if it does aggro, and has the benefit of shields to block all damage, and decoys to lure the dragon away. The lava zone isn't too bad once you know where you're going.

I still only ever want to go down there once, though.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

The trick with Ruffles is to carry them back to the main entrance and then fill them there ao on subsequent trips you don't have to go all the way in.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I'm pretty sure the cyclops doesn't aggro at all, provided it's turned off. It's also durable enough to take a couple hits even if it does aggro, and has the benefit of shields to block all damage, and decoys to lure the dragon away. The lava zone isn't too bad once you know where you're going.

I still only ever want to go down there once, though.
    The dragon will sometimes hit the cyclops even if it's off and empty, but it doesn't do any damage. A powered down cyclops is basically immune to damage. You can even go park in the void and power off. Good luck getting out though unless you have a shield generator.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Daily update: Died by mixing up east and west when consulting map, and wanding into the dead zone while looking for a wreck.

So, first radio message I recieved was the sunbeam coming to get me. Half an hour, plenty of time to prep for an expedition. Normally I use the "tube+hatch+solar panel+fab" method of doing exploration bases, but this time I wanted to try something a bit more comprehensive.

After packing and seagliding to the enforement platform, I assembled my prototype. A moonpool only has the same number of components as a tube+hatch- it's harder to replace those components if you leave it in place, but I wasnt planning on doing so. A battery charger, fab, and medikit fab, a solar panel and a ruby and magnatite (I didnt have the materials for a thermal plant yet, but I might run into them), and materials for a bed (I forgot to scan one in the aurora, but they can be built inside a moonpool, which makes the moonpool the better option for this expedition). There's enough room left over for the seaglide, therml blade/hab builder/scanner/cutter/repairtool (4 of which have ion batteries), my safty blanket spare air tank, and a few bleaches (60 water per inventory slot with access to a fab, vs 50 for a purified water) medkits, and ration bars.

While waiting for the sunbeam to show up, set the seaglide and hab builder batteries on the charger, entered the facility far enough for to get the cube, ran the cube to the island portal, came back to watch the explosion, topped off on bulba seed water, then regathered the expedition kit and went to the floating island.

First bit of awkwardness- until I went through some of my provisions, I couldnt pick up the small marblemelon, which was one of my objectives. This was made worse when I went to the first officer's pod and found exactly one gel sack- enough to make an aerogel for a thermal plant, or to bring home, but not both. The compromise was to make a minimal base (only the fab) and use the loose titanium for an exterior growbed. Plant the gel sack, whack it once, plant the seed, take the original sack to the fab to turn my ruby into aerogel.

That left me stuck with a minimal base until the new gel sack grew. There was a wreck somewhat nearby, I dont remember what was in it, but I burnt some time there. Also some of my water stockpile.
    Without a secont magnatite, grand reef was off the table- too deep for solar, too deep to explore without an airbase. I could go back to Jellyshroom to remedy both the magnatite and the coordinates, but instead I penciled in the Sea Treader wrecks. Followed the cliff separating grand reef and sparce reef till I reached a corner with sea treaders visible below, and made an airbase.

Even the airbase was 250m down, at the edge of sunlight. Finding the wrecks without wandering into the dead zone was going to require better navigation. I had the materials for the Compass, but that copper wire/wiring kit was used in the battery charger. Fortunately, there was sandstone and limestone around, so I made the compass and hunted for copper and silver. Whereupon 1)I discovered a random magnatite. Score!, and 2) at that depth, with one solar panel, I could only use the fab every other day. And turning bleach into water used one of those days. This led to another round of scavanging to build a second solar panel, so I can compless my inventory back into portable form before running out of water. I left the extra panel in place.

Before trying for the grand reef base, blind, I needed water. And where I was at, that meant bulbotrees on the floating island. Then, it was straight down from the eastern island looking for a hole and thermal vent. It was a 1 way trip- I got the thermal plant set up with 30 seconds of air left in my main tank, and the moonpool took a nerve-wracking amount of time to be assembled. (I had the spare tank, but if I needed it, I might fumble it again) Then I fumbled around, looking for the degasi base, until I checked the map and realized it had to be north-ish, since I was at a thermal vent, and I had a compass now. Since it was on the far side of the vents, I moved the thermal plant and moonpool closer, then made two trips to clear out the base. (no cuddlefish egg for me, but the orange tablet was important)

Repacking the base, I went back to the floating island- I was thirsy again, and there was bulbotrees up there. I also needed to charge my seaglide, even with the ion batteries.

You can just barely reach the moonpool ladder from the ground, and if you use the ladder to get down, you dont take falling damage.
    Spoiler: where's the water? (image)
    Show

So, I was back on track for wreck hunting. I went north around the floating island then went directly left across the surface until I got my one and only warning about the dead zone, exactly as planned. backed the hell up, turned north-ish and dove for the wreck.

I think I was already mixing up my easts and my wests at this point, because my air base was pretty far west from the wreck. I ended up moving it closer, under the harassment of two warpers. coffie machines from the grand reef degasi helped with my water problem, though the required more titanium than I was carrying. The wreck had like 6-8 torpedo arms, though, so I had plenty of titanium. I just couldnt pack it all up. after getting the important non titanium bits, I headed to the surface, then did a diagonal dive roughly west by northwest. around the time I needed to head to the surface for air, I could see the edge of a hole, which was near my destination. I kept drifing foward as I rose and checked the map. Wait, isnt that EAST, not wes- *rrrr*CHOMP. You have died.

Overall, the expedition had mixed results. On one hand, it would have been better if I'd prepared better before heading out to sunbeam- scanned beds in the aurora, built a compass before hand, gotten a second magnatite from jellyshroom, gotten the degasi location from jellyshroom- and these things I could have done better. On the other hand, the time capsule that gave me those ion batteris was a big measure of how I could persevere through those problems, particularly with the seaglide and hab builder. Not going to get that lucky again. And the saftey air tank- it puts a real squeeze on my inventory- it's possible to do the expedition with it, but once I start adding key items during the trip, it cuts my options dramatically. If I can let it go, I might be able to bring a spare battery and enough titanium to build a thermal plant without robbing from my other stuff. Perhaps getting the gel sack from the first officer's pod earlier, so I'm not having to haul one around for the whole trip?

If I hadnt made the navigation error, I think I could have continued my wreck expedition- once I hit that wreck, it's a straight shot north to the blood kelp wreck. I would probably need to call it off there- blood oil takes too much inventory space, and there's also the deep shrooms.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Does carrying a second airtank do any good?

Also don't forget the free standing air pumps. Build one then run pipes down. At the end of the pipe they produce tank filling bubbles not unlike Brain Coral.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

And I just spent the last half hour planning how I might bootstrap a prawnsuit+cargo upgrade on the other side of a gate, with my portable base setup, given that the island game cannot be passed with the suit. (narrow caves, probably because someone noticed that if it falls off the floating island, there's no way back up and you have to walk the long way home)

The key is that a vehical unit is only 3 components, though it takes 9 unfurled. And a creepvine seed + exterior growbed takes 2 spaces + titanium I was bringing anyway, and (eventually) gives me the 2 cloth and 1+2 lube, before I ever leave the floating island. (assuming I can grow underwater plants in the floating island shallows)

Spoiler: Full packing list
    Show

5 tools
    9 Titanium
    3 Ingot
    2 plasteel
    4 lead
    3 quartz
    1 enamled glass
    2 copper
    1 copper wire
    1 silver
    1 wiring kit
    1 gold
    1 computer chip
    2 magnatite
    1 table coral
    1 Cargo upgrade
    1(4) Creepvine seed cluster
    1 Power cell
    2 diamond
    =48

Spoiler: Unpacking
    Show

Scan degasi habs
    Exterior growbed+ creepvine seed, Tube+hatch+solar+fab
    fab new creepvine seed into lube, move solar+fab to ledge above lifepod 19, with moonpool
    Build scanner room off the moonpool, (needs copper from shopping list below)
    Shopping list in sparse reef/grand reef: Gel sack (grow 3), 3 ruby, 1 copper, 2 titanium
    Grow 2 lube, silicone, 2 cloth from creepvines
    Lube+ingot+power cell=vehical fab
    2 gelsacks, 2 ruby= 2 aerogel, + enamled glass, 2 diamond, 2 lead, 2 plasteel = Prawn
    Add cargo module to prawn.
    Repack:
    5 tools
    11 Titanium
    2 Ingot
    1 lube
    2 lead
    3 quartz
    3 copper
    1 copper wire
    1 silver
    1 wiring kit
    1 gold
    1 computer chip
    2 magnatite
    1 Aerogel
    1 table coral
    4(1) Creepvine seed cluster
    1 gelsack
    2 Fiber mesh
    1 marblemelon seed
    4(1) Camera Drone (improvised beacon)
    =48 slots

Personal inventory full, prawn inventory empty and ready for exploitation)

Abandon vehical fab
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-24 at 06:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Does carrying a second airtank do any good?

Also don't forget the free standing air pumps. Build one then run pipes down. At the end of the pipe they produce tank filling bubbles not unlike Brain Coral.
    If you remember to right click to swap instead of left click to drop, a "spare" high cap tank (that you remembered to fill) will give you an extra 90 seconds of air, but once you reach the surface/hab, you need to remember to refill it.

My first game, I toyed with the air pump+pipes, and I feel they take too much resources to build and too much inventory space to move, to get any reasonable length. (100m, at least) With a seaglide and rebreather, 90 seconds can get me about 500m, for only 6 inventory slots.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-24 at 06:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

My rule of thumb is to never go anywhere you can't get back from on a single tank of air. Swapping them out is a pain, 6 inventory slots is a lot, and the knowledge of having a safety net can lead to unecessary risks.

Regarding growing underwater plants on the floating island, you might be able to do it a little deeper if needed by plonking down a foundation to put your growbed on. Takes an extra 2 titanium and 2 lead, but it's not something you have to really move afterwards. 2 titanium 2 lead isn't really worth the bother of saving.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

My rule of thumb is to never go anywhere you can't get back from on a single tank of air. Swapping them out is a pain, 6 inventory slots is a lot, and the knowledge of having a safety net can lead to unecessary risks.

Regarding growing underwater plants on the floating island, you might be able to do it a little deeper if needed by plonking down a foundation to put your growbed on. Takes an extra 2 titanium and 2 lead, but it's not something you have to really move afterwards. 2 titanium 2 lead isn't really worth the bother of saving.
    An interesting idea, but the issue isnt carrying it AWAY from the floating island, but bringing it TO the floating island in a single trip, without a cargo bay.

I've now penciled in the whole base (initial tube+hatch, grow bed, and eventual moonpool) on the ledge overlooking the second officer's lifepod, so I dont need the foundation. I think I'm getting a little obsessed with this idea (Nomad base!) that will take hours to set up. I have an essay to work on, dammit!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

3 hours, 52 minutes. Status: waiting for Sunbeam to tell me to wait for them.

I dont knwo why early game felt better- was it that I was focusing on copper and silver, and crafting advanced components to fit my inventory better? having an extra 6 slots free from not haviing a reserve tank? Or just NOT picking up every random piece of wreckage to fill my inventory with loose titanium? I did get an early beacon, and practically the first grassland wreck I went after had a full battery charger. I put a tube base on the eastern edge of the western mushroom forest at the corner of a kelp forest and a drop to the underwater island area, about 300 west by 700 north, and I almost immediately got a full moonpool and 2/3 of a modification station. When the aurora exploded, I was already on my way back to the pod, with the materials for the suit and the moonpool.

The aurora was straightfoward. I made sure to scan a bed this time, and I looked up the captian's cabin code so I wouldnt need to come back. (Then I ended up coming back when I realized I left the cargo module behind, dammit)

swapping back to the rebreather at the pod, I still needed a scanner station blueprint, and magnatite for a HUD and eventually a thermal plant. rooting around a non-degasi jellyshroom hole (with the moonpool over the entrance as an airstation, I got 3 magnetite suprisingly quickly... and still didnt have a scanner station to craft the HUD with.

My shopping list came together fairly quicky. I finally found the scanner station, crafted the hud, left the seaglide at the lifepod (I never built any lockers), and migrated to the mountian to finish my list.

I've opened the quarentine facility and activated the mountian gate, and double checked my preparations. I had a brief panic that I didnt have a outdoor growbox for the silicone to build the power cell I need to bring through the gate, but the nearest kelp forest wasnt THAT far away. The warpers were a bit agrivating while filling out my diamon and the lithium for my plasteel, and I didnt bring fiber for a medikit fabricator, since I was going to grow it on the far side. Since I've got a good hour at least before the sunbeam shows up (force of habit, I suppose, I could just go through the gate now) I might as well do another kelp forest run for a few creepvine samples to turn into fiber to turn into medkits.

All is prepared as planned. The list a few posts up is accurate, except I dropped another titanium and copper (should be easy to locally source, and doesnt quite stop my bootstrap process) to bring a premade Advanced Wiring Kit (when I unlock the grapple arm, the table coral is a difficult to source component, so the kit is prebuilt for packing efficency) and an acid mushroom, which lets me use a grow bed to turn copper into any number of batteries and (with creepseed) power cells once I'm through the gate.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

4 hours and 19 minutes- 10 minutes until sunbeam's arrival.

So I did a medkit run and did one final pre-march loadout, disasembiling everything and dropping everything I need to drop... and discovered a mistake.
    Fully loaded, after tossing the moonpool lube as planned, I had room for the spare battery I was also planning to discard, and I had the full 9 titanium despite also including the two things I'd included in place of it- the advance wiring kit and acid shroom. After panicked tabbing in and out of the game, as the Sunbeam approached, I found the problem.
    So that spoiler above, with the packing list, that i've been working off of? it's only 45 items, not 48. I had 3 extra slots to work with all along.

The spare battery wasnt needed, but I could make a run for another seed pod and remake the lube. That would simplify my early setup by letting me go straight to the moonpool, rather than bootstrapping to it. (and on my way back, I trip over the old discarded bottle of lube lying on the beach.)

I did decide to watch the sunbeam from a differnt perspective this time.

You cant quite see the enforcement platform from the gate trail, but that's nothing a few Foundations cant fix. just a matter of finding a place you can stand to put the foundation against solid ground, then just chain them out.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

To whoever may find this time capsule:

The ship that came to rescue me is gone. I've salvaged what I can from the Aurora, but not even the rocket blueprints will save me from that horrifying alien gun.

But there's no bad without a little good, I suppose. This gateway is activated by a cube from the alien base. I dont know if it's a transportation device or a matter disinegrator, and at this point, it wouldnt matter to me if it was.

But assuming it's a transport, I've packed heavy. No way to get a prawn suit into this cave, but if I can grow creepvine on the other side, I can build a vehical bay and prawn on the other side. I've got the materials for a nice pop-up moonpool-base... fabricator, battery charger, medkit fab, even a bed if I can harvest creepvine. Can scavange the fab for parts for a scanner room, if I find Limestone. Aerogel components would let me build a thermal reactor. A supply of some form of copper, like limestone, would let me grow acid shrooms into more batteries and power cells to keep the prawn running. There's even plans to make some kind of coffee maker. (decaf, but you get used to it)

Hopefully I can find some answers. Take my Seaglide- there's no way I can take it with me like this.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Seaglide just fields in your inventory though, right?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Seaglide just fields in your inventory though, right?
    Not if I follow my "one trip" rule. I'd have to leave 6 important things behind if I did bring it.

On the other hand, if I need it, I should be able to build a replacement. But with a prawn suit, seaglide is less important- infinite air means that I dont need to move fast.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I usually either never make a seaglide, or just ditch it as soon as I've got a seamoth. There's probably a couple places where it might still be useful, but ultimately the 6 inventory space is more valuable.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

No way. For me it's far more valuable to have the extra speed. It's going to save far more time than those 6 extra inventory slots.

I don't like constantly jumping back into vehicles for air though. I'll park in the area and go explore until my oxygen is fairly low.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, I don't mind jumping in and out of vehicles four or five times for a big wreck. I stay pretty close to my vehicles, and if I want to explore somewhere further away, I'll move the vehicle. Since you can get the seamoth and the seaglide almost at the same time, really, it's not usually worth it for me to spend the resources on the seaglide, especially since it will *also* take one of my precious hotbar slots.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

6 hours, 22 minutes. Status: Bootstrapped and repacked for a trip to the deep.

Went through the gate, immediately got a radio message. NOT officer keene. No waypoint to the lifepod. It's in the sparse reef, however, which is just north of the floating island, so I'll make a guess and walk it in.

Scanned exterior growbeds, immediately left for the sparse reef. found a ledge of moderate depth- near drops that would likely contain gelsacks/ruby, but not in them, where solar power would be difficult. Moonpool, Solar panel, grow bed, plant the creepseed.

I now have time to kill while the first creepvine grows. Back to the island degasi hab. interior growbed, marblemelon, ceramic pots. Back to the hab, plant the first marblemelon pot. Look around, find a copper, build a scan room, search for databoxes. Close enough for a rough swin there and back. (~180m from the moonpool, vs 140m or so from the surface. And two databoxes were behind cutting tool doors. Air trips were required.) Jackpot- the wrecks have ultraglide fins, reinfored dive suit, vehical modification station, multiple torpedo arms, and the last piece of the Modification station.

Still not done growing. Scan for gel sacks, found a few close by, spotted a ruby. Planting gel sacks, resetting the scanner for ruby, get a half dozen or so, along with a few more copper and titannium, a lithium and a diamond. Deconstruct scanner, give me back my Fab. (dammit! forgot to pull off a camera to use as a beacon!) The first seed cluster turns to lube for the vehical bay. the second becomes a second creepvine, before I try harvesting fiber for the bed and medifab.

Meanwhile, I'm getting thirsty, and the marble melons arnt dont yet. The gel sacks are, though, and are worth decent water each. Prawn suit will have to wait for the next batch of gel sacks to turn into aerogel. More resource hunting. Limestone is actually pretty rare, as is shale, and sandstone is even more so. I did turn up a few copper and titanium, a quartz, a lithium, and a diamond. Also a thermal reactor fragment... which I still didnt have. oops? Built a second solar panel, as I was having power supply issues while charging hab builder batteries.

Prawn. With storage upgrade. My first locker the whole game! (second, if you count the lifepod) 2 marblemelons, 4 seeds into storage, 4 replanted. Whereupon I realize that I have everything except a lead for a modification station. I have a lead, but it's part of the moon pool.

Given how newly planted the marblemelons were, I decided to cut my losses. Deconstruct everything in the moonpool. Build a basic tube base. (the hatch required deconstructing one of the solar panels, which cut power to the moonpool) unmake the moonpool just enough to get a lead, assemble a modification station and a fab inside the tube. Thermal blade. Ultraglide flippers. Unmake everything, rebuild the moonpool, second solar, and rebuild the base and interior growbed. Retrieve my "saved" marblemelon seeds and start bootstrapping again.
    Spoiler: Home away from home.
    Show

With the bed, the growbeds and battery charger are more efficent, though marblemelons take longer. A wider search of the area turned up a few more thermal reactor components, so I'm ready to head to deep grand reef. vehical modification station doesnt have anything for me- I need nickle and sulfer, or deep shrooms, do make anything worthwhile.

Then it's a matter of packing up. I try not to discard anything- it was hard enough to collect in the first place- but it's a tight squeeze even into the prawn storage once I include enough marblemelon seeds and gel sacks to make bootstrapping faster. My original calculations never figured on the second solar panel, either... and the mobile vehical bay is right out, abandoned in place. Shouldnt be TOO hard to find when I come back for the Neptune.

Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-26 at 10:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

you are doing a lot more deconstruction of bases than I ever bothered with. Course you'll probably have to do a lot less resource hunting.

Oh, and I'd point out that you'll need the vehicle bay to construct a cyclops, even if you never use it for anything more than building the shield generator to use in the rocket.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

you are doing a lot more deconstruction of bases than I ever bothered with. Course you'll probably have to do a lot less resource hunting.
    Second this, and the bootstrap base is WAY more efficient space-wise then anything I’ve ever built.

That said, if I was going to do a similar mini-base, while IIRC the interior grow bed is a more efficient use of Titanium, I’d probably use the little shelf pots to conserve more floor space.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Wont be hard to find.

Though I could have packed more efficently. One gel sack can provide seeds for a whole grow table, and though I can also use them for water (before I get the coffie machine, or for long trips without building one) I need to have them in my personal inventory to do so. I'm also right at the edge of turning loose titanium into an ingot for compressed storage, which would free 9 slots- enough for the vehical bay. (that would leave me 2 titanium shy of being able to build a thermal plant and scanner room)

I'm also pondering whether I should make a detour for the Transmutation Doll. The Unusual doll is an easter egg item, but it has an unintended effect. It is built with a glass and a titanium, but counts as a fragment, so when scanned give 2 titanium. This would give me the ability to transmute 2 quartz (easy to find in any biome, if not exactly common) into titanium at any fabricator. Since I'm not using glass for base construction (and I'm not getting stalker teeth anytime soon), it increases my options. On the other hand, it's a bit out of my way, and until I get the coffee machine water is going to be the limiting factor of my base setups.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Although...

If I kill my moonpool and lose the chip from the medkit fab, I'm only 1 lead short of building the Neptune launch pad. I can make due with a tube until I rebuild my titanium stockpile from wandering around, though I may be living off a diet of gel sacks for awhile. That gives me a nav point on top of the vehical bay, and "frees up" inventory space (perhaps too much!) for a more hunter/gatherer lifestyle in my prawnsuit. (though the inventory problem isnt going to get easier, the further into the game I get.)

Risk is being unable to charge the prawn until I reach a bare minimum 22 titanium/2 lead/2quartz, again. (hmm. I'm only 4 titanium (and 3! lead) short of that, though some of that titanium is penciled in for the thermal reactor. So no moon pool until I'm out of the deep grand reef, unless I get up to 2 lead/25 titanium. might be managable.)

If I build the platform now, the next goal is to build the gantry before leaving the sparse reef/floating island environs. (the 1st stage rocket requires nickle, which requires moving on, so it a good point to move on).

Tenative mission plan, then, is
    1) reorganize inventory, compress a titanium ingot
    2) find a lead in Sparse Reef
    3) build Neptune platform
    4) Deep grand reef/coffee machine
    5) Unusual doll
    6) Grand reef wreck
    7) Neptune gantry
    8) Sea treader wrecks
    9) blood kelp, deep shroom upgrades in BKF.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-09-26 at 08:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

7 hours 20 minutes. Status: finished step 4, recovered moonpool capability.

So, first things first. Build a scanner room and hatch, see if there's any lead/sandstone nearby. And since this is where the neptune launch pad will spawn (at the surface, where the MVB is at), I planted the marblemelons under the hologram. At first no such luck, but I made a few trips to look for quartz (if I'm going to be titanium contrained for a bit, a tube base made of glass instead of titanium may be a better choice in the short term), and eventually the scanner started to pick up sandstone. Out in the grand reef, of course, which was just far enough out I wanted to take the prawn out to be sure of getting air. The lead took a little while to find, but eventially I did. I went up, started building the platform, and went back to check on the marbelmelons, without even watching the spawn.

I had time to kill before my water-replenishing plants were ready, so I went to check out the wrecks again. Scanned a few things for titanium, and somehow tripped over or glitched through a ledge in the prawnsuit. Not nessesarally in the lost river, but I could see bloodkelp over the next ledge. And the ledge I fell off of was a bit more than the prawn could jump.

But, there was sandstone down here, and I got 2 lead in only 4-5 rocks cracked. That was enough to put a Foundation halfway up the wall, letting the prawn rest it's engines before jumping the rest of the way. I of course swam back to retrieve the lead and titanium from the Foundation, and a bleeder (or something of that sort, I didnt scan it) grabbed my arm as I got into the prawn. I had to get out to slash it off.

After a meal of 6 marblemelons (and harvesting the 8 seads from the other two) to recover my water, I disasembled the scanner and headed down into the Grand reef.

Locating the degasi hab, I put a thermal plant near the closest vent, built a tube, crafted two glass, built a glass tube, and replaced the fab on the back wall to make sure I could. If I built an ingot, I was going to be titanium poor for awhile, so an airbase that only took 2 titanium for a hatch+2 or 5 for a power source, +1 for a fab, would be helpful. Deconstruct the titanium tube.

Taking the prawn to the degasi hab was... interesting. I had to stick to the ledges to leap over to the pillar the base was on, and when I went in, (coffeemaker! also PDAs, and an alien containment unit) the crabs had pushed it off a ledge. After getting it back up and going in again (swim charge fins data, orange slate), I had to retrieve it again, before going back to the airbase. (and repairing my prawn)
    Spoiler: Move aside fabricator, I have a new priority
    Show

After properly hydrating, I crafted the first ingot, and packed up.

In my first file, I mostly entered the degasi area from the direction of the grand reef wreck, so I knew east was more of a slope than a cliff. Lots of vents in that direction too, apparently. Saw a ghost leviathan as I want around one vent-spire, decided to go around the other way. Quietly as a 2 ton mech can do. Eventually I hit the crag zone.

There was limestone, now, so I cracked a few, discarded a few copper, and made my way to the top of one of the crags. Solar panel and scanner room, with hatch. plenty of limestone... but also metal wreckage. Score!
    Ingot completed. Moonpool available for construction. Will charge the prawn tomorrow.

It occurs to me that between the coffeemaker and the thermal knife, I kinda dont need the marbelmelons anymore. I dont know if I can toss them, but not replacing them is going to free up a lot of inventory space for materials. I wasnt much of a farmer anyway. I was always waiting for it to finish growing and getting into trouble in the meantime. The whole idea is to travel light, and those seeds are now dead mass.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

IMO there are only two essential upgrade modules for the prawn suit, but it has four slots. You could slot storage modules into the other two, and increase your capacity by quite a bit. 6 titanium and 2 lithium shouldn't be especially hard to come by.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought I tried that in the past, and didnt find any additional cargo. it's possible it was there and I didnt find it.

Regardless, there's a problem with that. I used my chip on the Launch platform, so in addition to no medkit fab, I also have no vehical modification bay until I find table coral.

The hel of it is, I actually brought an additional chip through the gate, but it was pre-crafted into an advanced wiring kit, in anticiption of the Grapple arm. If I'd left it as a ship, I would have had better flexibility, and could always upgrade it later.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

So you've kind of shot yourself in the foot trying to travel too light sounds like.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2020-09-27 at 07:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

So you've kind of shot yourself in the foot trying to travel too light sounds like.
    Eh, that's part of the scenerio, same reason I dont just swim back to safe shallows for more coral. I know I've seen table coral in the lost river, and I accidentally discovered that last river entrance right by the launch pad.

Tiime: 8 hours 0 mintutes Status: short session because I have laundry and a family TTS planned.

Consulting various maps, and using the previous encounter witht he leviathan, and having just entered crag field going east as a ballpark for my location, locating the doll was relatively easy. navigating from there to the north grand reef wreck was a more hit and miss- I overshot, and assembled the moonpool just one tier below the kelp forest. Discovering where I actually was, I used that glass airbase as a staging point for the wreck. Full drill arm, half a grapple arm.

I also had an actual kelp forest to play with, with stalkers and creepvine and wreckage, so I played with the stalkers a bit, made an enamled glass, and made another ingot before looking for another lithium for the gantry. (went out to about my air limit, returned, and practically tripped over a loose lithium on the way back) Also needed to make a medpack or two, after playing with the stalkers, and this is a better place than most for that.