New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Rules for what are groups of people called?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    French seems to have something against s+consonant in particular. See the various fenêtre* (<fenestra), épaule** (<spathula), etc.

* window **shoulder

One name edit I enjoy is that of Scorsese. Martin Scorsese's ancestors were actually Italians with the surname Scozzese = "Scotsman".
    There was a lets play in these parts, "The Scottsman of Venice". Is it based on his family history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    William was duke of Normandy, not baron.
    Much obliged, thank you.

That's interesting. French cities and towns all have an associated demonym. Generally something obscure and related to the latin etymology of the places' name that you need to go on Wikipedia to know.
    This is pretty much the point I was making - posters above were struggling to find a difference between a New Yorker (city) and a New Yorker (State), assuming that it had to make sense in some way.

For example, we have a York in Britain - presumably the original from which New York was named - and if you're from there, British people will call you a Tyke (to rhyme with 'bike').

People from Newcastle (North-East) are Geordies. People from Liverpool (Middle-West, near the top of Wales) are Scousers. And people from London are Londoners, unless they're also Cockneys. It's all complete nonsense, but here we are anyway.

I just hope that in the USA they refer to people from Birmingham, Alabama as 'Brummies' because that's what we call people from Birmingham, England and the idea of there being an American city where everyone speaks with a Brummie accent makes me happy.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I just hope that in the USA they refer to people from Birmingham, Alabama as 'Brummies' because that's what we call people from Birmingham, England and the idea of there being an American city where everyone speaks with a Brummie accent makes me happy.
    The words people in the USA refer to people from Birmingham would typically be forum-inappropriate.

Which is a shame, the greater Birmingham area is a delightful place. I had some friends in Inverness growing up, there's a huge outlet mall over in Leeds, Pelham is growing nicely, but you probably want to stay out of Brighton.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-01 at 08:39 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2