New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Stars Without Number (Revised Edition) help.

I've just joined a SWN:RE game on r.rpol.net, but the servers are currently down and I've got a couple of questions, so maybe you guys could help?

I'm starting at level 2 as an adventurer.

1. Can you confirm that I get a total of 4 skill points - 3 for normal levelling, plus 1 for partial expert to be spent on a non-combat/non-psionic skill?

2. I know GMs word is law, but would you rule that "Exert" is a non-combat skill?

3. If I spend my skill points on attributes, do they increase the base value or the modifier? With the increased cost each time up to a maximum of 5 increases, it would make sense for it to be the modifier, but the documentation is unclear in this respect.

4. I gain a focus at level 2, if I'm reading the rules correctly, and that focus grants a skill, I can treat it as 3 skill points towards that skill - are these in addition to the normal leveling skill points?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Stars Without Number (Revised Edition) help.

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    I've just joined a SWN:RE game on r.rpol.net, but the servers are currently down and I've got a couple of questions, so maybe you guys could help?

I'm starting at level 2 as an adventurer.

1. Can you confirm that I get a total of 4 skill points - 3 for normal levelling, plus 1 for partial expert to be spent on a non-combat/non-psionic skill?

2. I know GMs word is law, but would you rule that "Exert" is a non-combat skill?

3. If I spend my skill points on attributes, do they increase the base value or the modifier? With the increased cost each time up to a maximum of 5 increases, it would make sense for it to be the modifier, but the documentation is unclear in this respect.

4. I gain a focus at level 2, if I'm reading the rules correctly, and that focus grants a skill, I can treat it as 3 skill points towards that skill - are these in addition to the normal leveling skill points?
    1. Normally yes.
    2. That's a house rule question.
    3. Base value not bonus. 2d6 skill curve means a +1 is a lot so stats take a long time to raise.
    4. Yes. Takes no skill to 1, or 1 to 2.