New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Weird ASMR Question

ASMR, as I understand it, is supposed to make your head tingle, but for some reason, I don't seem to get that tingle when I listen to ASMR-styled videos and such.

Instead, I seem to get a head tingle when I hear children screaming or crying in public, and I find that MORE THAN A LITTLE concerning.

ASMR is supposed to be pleasurable, and kids shrieking is decidedly not. Anyone here knowledgeable about this kind of stuff who might be able to shed some light on this? Is something wrong with my brain or ears? Thanks in advance for listening to my weird situation.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2020-08-23 at 12:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Weird ASMR Question

I've never experienced ASMR, but I have experienced frisson which is similar. From what little I remember, not everyone feels it, either because the levels nessessary to trigger the response is at a different level or because they're incapable of feeling it. I think I remember someone explaining it as a kind of pleasurable short circuit of the brain. If you feel concerned about it, I would recommend a medical professional.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's that unusual to get ASMR from triggers other than what you find in the videos. For me, I have to be in a very specific mental state (melancholic, introspective, partially derealised) and my body needs to be slightly colder than what would be a comfortable temperature. At those times, I get ASMR without any aural trigger at all, and it's somewhat pleasant. The videos, on the other hand, do nothing for me.

Clearly the screaming and crying of children is a strange thing to respod to, but it's probably nothing to worry about (in my opinion, as someone with no medical knowledge). At the end of the day, ASMR is a poorly understood phenomenon that seems to be different for different people, so it's hard to make any concrete statements.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-08-23 at 02:29 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    ASMR, as I understand it, is supposed to make your head tingle, but for some reason, I don't seem to get that tingle when I listen to ASMR-styled videos and such.

Instead, I seem to get a head tingle when I hear children screaming or crying in public, and I find that MORE THAN A LITTLE concerning.

ASMR is supposed to be pleasurable, and kids shrieking is decidedly not. Anyone here knowledgeable about this kind of stuff who might be able to shed some light on this? Is something wrong with my brain or ears? Thanks in advance for listening to my weird situation.
    It's worth noting that ASMR is not just a "head tingle" - rather, that's how it's usually described in lieu of a better explanation. It's one of those deals where people who get it know what it is, but people who don't will have a hard time understanding.
    There are lots of things that can cause your head to "tingle" in many different ways. Most have nothing to do with ASMR.

My understanding is that it's primarily a psychological phenomenon - though it has a physiological basis as well. I've only ever heard of people enjoying it, though, so the first question is "do you enjoy the sound of children screaming or crying?"
    If not, then it's probably not ASMR. If so, then it may be ASMR that's just a quirk of your particular brain. I sincerely doubt it's significant in any way, or indicative of a problem.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

No, I definitely do NOT enjoy the sound of screaming children, which was part of why I was concerned in a "Why would I get what people say is a pleasurable response from something that's the opposite of pleasurable" way. So that's a good thing. Thanks for confirming that at least!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't say that the ASMR response itself is inherently pleasurable in and of itself for all enjoyers of ASMR content. For me, at least, it's more like a spice that goes along with the whole experience of consuming "ASMR content." I don't typically consume black pepper by itself, but I enjoy its flavor as part of some foods. If you put it on ice cream, or sprayed it in my face while there were children screaming nearby, I probably wouldn't enjoy it, even though I can honestly say that I like black pepper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I wouldn't say that the ASMR response itself is inherently pleasurable in and of itself
    Indeed. My personal hypothesis is that it's a learned response deriving from that sort of voice's use in [REDACTED] movies and [REDACTED] clubs.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)