Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 776
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I do actually believe that the suggestion that Redcloak could be replaced by a whole bunch of lower level goblinoid clerics is one of the more reasonable suggestions since it's less of an asspull (doesn't require unknown factors or diminishes Redcloak's status as the strongest cleric in the world).
    It does require unknown factors: That spell slots too weak to hold ninth-level spells are still powerful enough effectively restrain the Snarl, that the ritual Thor has in mind doesn't explicitly require a ninth-level slot, that coming up with a new/altered ritual doesn't exceed the time constraint before the Snarl gets out (itself an unknown factor)....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It does require unknown factors: That spell slots too weak to hold ninth-level spells are still powerful enough effectively restrain the Snarl, that the ritual Thor has in mind doesn't explicitly require a ninth-level slot, that coming up with a new/altered ritual doesn't exceed the time constraint before the Snarl gets out (itself an unknown factor)....
    All right, let me rephrase it then: it doesn't require the addition of a new character or entity that we've never heard anything about and which would seem to serve zero purpose in the story other than to undermine Redcloak's presence in the story.

    We know that there are a lot of goblinoid clerics so the question is about whether they can pull it off rather than whether they even exist in the first place.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Plot twist- that's actually Xykon cosplaying as Oona.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It does require unknown factors: That spell slots too weak to hold ninth-level spells are still powerful enough effectively restrain the Snarl, that the ritual Thor has in mind doesn't explicitly require a ninth-level slot, that coming up with a new/altered ritual doesn't exceed the time constraint before the Snarl gets out (itself an unknown factor)....
    It just requires that a lot of not quite drops of purple quiddity can add up to a drop of purple quiddity.

    I know Rich doesn't really care about the rules, but the rules governing how rituals work actually back me up here. In fact you'd only need 4 3rd level slots to exceed the relative amount of ritual power a 9th level one has.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-08-24 at 12:17 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    Plot twist- that's actually Xykon cosplaying as Oona.
    And Greyview would be his worg familiar.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    It's kinda funny, in a tragic way, how much in opposition Redcloak's methods are to his goals. He's planning on building a treehouse in the tree he just cut down for materials.

    I don't think we'd be spending this much time pointing out the (many, many) flaws in Redcloak's reasoning if he's just going to be replaced later on. He's going to have a wake-up call at some point, probably not soon, and then ... Well, i originally considered him irredeemable (not for his actions, but because of his unwillingness to own up to them for what they are), but i've come to believe there's a chance. It's still possible for a plausible, narratively satisfying alternative to Thor's plan to be brought up, but i wouldn't bet on Redcloak not being involved.
    "Are the gods not just?"
    "Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It does require unknown factors: That spell slots too weak to hold ninth-level spells are still powerful enough effectively restrain the Snarl, that the ritual Thor has in mind doesn't explicitly require a ninth-level slot, that coming up with a new/altered ritual doesn't exceed the time constraint before the Snarl gets out (itself an unknown factor)....
    I know Rich doesn't really care about the rules, but the rules governing how rituals work actually back me up here. In fact you'd only need 4 3rd level slots to exceed the relative amount of ritual power a 9th level one has.
    If that was in fact applicable here, any 9th-level slot from any caster would suffice. And further, it would take a completely new epic spell to change the level or number of spell slots...which is why I mentioned "a new ritual".

    The ninth-level slot seems more like a component, here.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I freaking LOVE Oona.

    She did a good job at calling out RC and the Dark One back when we first met her, and her hanging back here to allow the "exchange of ideas" to continue keeps that moving. She's no cleric, but she's a good outside view on Team Evil and might (long stretch) be enough to at least rattle Redcloak.

    On the other hand, given this is in the final arc, allegedly, and Xykon does have MitD as a trump against Redcloak turning on him, if Redcloak did have an epiphany now would be as good a time as any. And then he dies. And is eaten, preventing rezzing. Which for all we know plays into the IFC's plan, which has gone unmentioned for a good while at this point, tho they seem invested in the destruction of the gates thus far and may wish to free the Snarl. On the OTHER hand, Redcloak getting killed via a machination of Xykon's might piss him off enough for his spirit to try and convince the Dark One to side with the other gods to save the other goblins (if DO would even be willing is up in the air of course)

    Honestly one thing I really like about Xykon is how his power and use of MitD as a trump keeps him relevant even though he knows jack all about the truth of the rifts and the Snarl. He's really well done as an unrelated Big Bad.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    In retrospect, Durkon should've suggested fixing the Gobbotopia rift as the test case.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It just requires that a lot of not quite drops of purple quiddity can add up to a drop of purple quiddity.
    Which is not a given.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    deltamire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    One problem with the idea of the lower level slots adding up to a 9th is that it's, well, based entirely on dnd mechanics. Which, admittedly, is what OOTS is about playing with and criticising, but the actually mechanic of spell slot conversion / equivalent power hasn't really, to my knowledge, been brought up in-comic directly. OOTS has been pretty good about setting down the rules it plays by, so unless we're somehow going to get a full lesson on that info in the next hundred or so pages, it seems unlikely it'll be influencing or replacing the final problem of getting Redcloak to agree.

    It also seems exceptionally wasteful of narrative space for the Giant to spend all that time showing his disconnect and deterioration over the comic, including a separate non-mainline book which fleshes him out, and then promptly toss Redcloak out like a misbehaving cat and replace him with some other caster(s). I genuinely don't think Burlew is going to do that.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    All right, let me rephrase it then: it doesn't require the addition of a new character or entity that we've never heard anything about and which would seem to serve zero purpose in the story other than to undermine Redcloak's presence in the story.
    Right. If Rat Elemental's math is correct, it would require the addition of at least three new characters or entities we've never heard anything about (if Jirix will serve as no. 4) which would seem to serve zero purpose in the story other than to undermine Redcloak's presence in the story.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    My personal prediction is that this exchange will become a seed of doubt, and I look forward to seeing it bear some fruit down the road.
    Likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by arverst_aegnar View Post
    It's kinda funny, in a tragic way, how much in opposition Redcloak's methods are to his goals. He's planning on building a treehouse in the tree he just cut down for materials.
    If Redcloak is destroyed, that certainly pivots the threat to the world as whatever artifact and vessel IFCC have cooked up. More than once in this series, Roy thinks "OK, we are finally on the cusp of saving the world" only to have the rug pulled out from him again." Back in the end of BRiTF, he mentioned "We don't really know what's going on" and Belkar had mentioned that "Someone is yanking everyone's chain." That chain is still being yanked. IFCC and the Inviso Kidnappers have their hands on the chain, among others. Hel was a major chain puller in the last book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kereea View Post
    On the OTHER hand, Redcloak getting killed via a machination of Xykon's might piss him off enough for his spirit to try and convince the Dark One to side with the other gods to save the other goblins (if DO would even be willing is up in the air of course)
    A different way to get at purple quiddity? Well, TDO told Reddie through Jirix "Don't screw this up." I can see Reddie showing up after being waxed by Xykon and TDO's only comment to Reddie being "I told you, don't screw this up. You screwed it up! No quiddity {soup} for you!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    In retrospect, Durkon should've suggested fixing the Gobbotopia rift as the test case.
    How does he get Reddie away from Xykon to contribute to that fix? (We, on the outside, know that if Redcloak betrays Xykon MiTD eats him ... )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-24 at 12:57 PM.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kereea View Post
    Honestly one thing I really like about Xykon is how his power and use of MitD as a trump keeps him relevant even though he knows jack all about the truth of the rifts and the Snarl. He's really well done as an unrelated Big Bad.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Of course, I expect that the "MitD was brainwashed to eat Redcloak in event of betrayal" is a Chekhov's Gun, and that it will be fired. However, I give it less than 50/50 odds of actually killing Redcloak. Especially since that was before MitD ever started to think like a Good Guy, he might even resist the effect and choose not to eat Redcloak.

    I feel like that brainwashing was mostly to demonstrate that Xykon still doesn't trust Redcloak, and has several aces up his sleeve in case of betrayal. Like Xykon's Astral Fortress, I think it's much more important as an example of Xykon's distrust than it is an actual threat to the story.


    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Right. If Rat Elemental's math is correct, it would require the addition of at least three new characters or entities we've never heard anything about (if Jirix will serve as no. 4) which would seem to serve zero purpose in the story other than to undermine Redcloak's presence in the story.
    Exactly this. The story has established "Recloak casts a 9th level spell in your favor" as the goal. It's the simplest solution. Why not assume that this will be the solution, and that achieving it will simply be difficult?
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2020-08-24 at 12:57 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I love Oona. If Redcloak dies, can she be the new High Priest?
    Given that she's almost certainly a Ranger, I'm guessing not?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Given that she's almost certainly a Ranger, I'm guessing not?
    Watching The Dark One try to communicate with her as the new High Priest, and getting progressively more frustrated at her blase attitude towards him, would be very amusing, but perhaps more appropriate for a spin-off Marvel Alternate Universe Disney+ show.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    I missed that Worg.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    You hit this one out of the park, Rich.

    Great stuff!
    Has it ever occurred to you that YOU\'RE TOO TALL!!

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    All right, let me rephrase it then: it doesn't require the addition of a new character or entity that we've never heard anything about and which would seem to serve zero purpose in the story other than to undermine Redcloak's presence in the story.

    We know that there are a lot of goblinoid clerics so the question is about whether they can pull it off rather than whether they even exist in the first place.
    If these other clerics were a practical source of purple quiddity at all, then Thor would be a fool for not offer talking to Jirix as a Plan C for Durkon in the case that the last Gate were safe enough but reality here is still an ongoing risk from the four blown Gates plus fifth that should be reinforced. Jirix, after all, would be well motivated to negotiate towards the interests of a city full of living and breathing goblins, and less interested in Redcloak's theoretical musings about how to win.

    Tangent...

    It is interesting to note how Redcloak fell so deeply down the classic moral chasm of ends justify the means thinking, where theorized benefits in an imagined future are sufficient excuse for any and all unnecessary bloodletting today.

    At least when Tarquin did it on a grand scale, he did not pretend to genuinely care about the little people in either the now or the future -- this was a rhetorical weapon against people like Elan who do care.

    Redcloak is actually telling himself that his own Plan A is so great for goblins, that it is simply not worth considering alternatives that bring an unexpected ally in on the game.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PontificatusRex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    State of Uncertainty
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Hmm, new thought (for me anyway) - Instead of Redcloak betraying Xykon to save the world, what if the Order ends up allying with Xykon to stop Redcloak from destroying the world? He has made it clear that his number one priority is survival and avoiding the Big Fire waiting for him, after all.

    On the other hand, Xykon might prefer the non-existence of being zapped by the Snarl to eternal punishment...
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    gatemansgc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NJ (right next to philly)

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    i wonder which periodic elemental redcloak was about to summon?

    love how this literal battle is considered a classic bugbear debate technique by oona.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.


    ^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

    RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    i wonder which periodic elemental redcloak was about to summon?
    Sodium, obviously.

    ***

    In regards to getting other goblin clerics, you have to

    a) have Thor tell Durkon and/or Minrah of this possibility.
    b) have them tell the Order of this possibility.
    c) procure some method of transport that has these goblins travel thousands of miles up to the north
    d) assume that the Dark One won't pull their spellcasting plug.
    e) whoops, not high enough level.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Of course, I expect that the "MitD was brainwashed to eat Redcloak in event of betrayal" is a Chekhov's Gun, and that it will be fired. However, I give it less than 50/50 odds of actually killing Redcloak. Especially since that was before MitD ever started to think like a Good Guy, he might even resist the effect and choose not to eat Redcloak.

    I feel like that brainwashing was mostly to demonstrate that Xykon still doesn't trust Redcloak, and has several aces up his sleeve in case of betrayal. Like Xykon's Astral Fortress, I think it's much more important as an example of Xykon's distrust than it is an actual threat to the story.
    I agree because...

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1) MitD eating Redcloak for betraying Xykon, even if it is a magical compulsion, would not be a satisfying moment for MitD, at this point in the story given MitD's character growth so far. It made sense as a threat earlier, given who we believed he was back then. He is becoming his own man, and this looks like backtracking on character growth.

    (2) It is unlikely that The Giant would include such an important moment in the story without sufficient Online Comic justification, i.e. revenge for Xykon is to bizarre to understand for someone who has not read the prequel books.

    So, while it is still quite possible that the MitD will attempt to eat Redcloak, the most apparent motivation will surely be something that is justified to who the MitD is becoming. In fact, it is highly likely to be a motivation that someone like O-Chul would approve of (even if the tactics may not be very paladin-like).

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Which is not a given.
    Neither is Redcloak getting a heel realization, so I guess we can all just go home. No point speculating what might happen, let's just read the comic and then leave and wait for the next one to be posted.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Sodium, obviously.
    You are awesome.

    Nobelium is possible, too, but yours is the better answer.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    I have a small question about D&D rules: do Redcloak's healing spells work on those sick burns he's taking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I agree because...

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1) MitD eating Redcloak for betraying Xykon, even if it is a magical compulsion, would not be a satisfying moment for MitD, at this point in the story given MitD's character growth so far. It made sense as a threat earlier, given who we believed he was back then. He is becoming his own man, and this looks like backtracking on character growth.

    (2) It is unlikely that The Giant would include such an important moment in the story without sufficient Online Comic justification, i.e. revenge for Xykon is to bizarre to understand for someone who has not read the prequel books.

    So, while it is still quite possible that the MitD will attempt to eat Redcloak, the most apparent motivation will surely be something that is justified to who the MitD is becoming. In fact, it is highly likely to be a motivation that someone like O-Chul would approve of (even if the tactics may not be very paladin-like).
    It would also be a good throwback to DCF-Xykon being unable to get the Monster to devour his enemies.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallbrook, California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    I just have to say "Hypocritical Hit" is a very clever name for this page.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Neither is Redcloak getting a heel realization, so I guess we can all just go home. No point speculating what might happen, let's just read the comic and then leave and wait for the next one to be posted.
    This is a false equivalency.

    It's one thing to speculate that many weak Goblinoid clerics could combine to reproduce Redcloak's abilities. I disagree with this assumption, but you can definitely still make it, and we can speculate about it.

    It's quite another thing to compare that logical jump to the explicitly-stated goal of Thor & Co.

    One option ("convince Redcloak to help") has been set up by the comic already. The other option ("multiple unnamed, unknown goblinoid clerics materialize out of nowhere and are convinced to help, despite not having Redcloak's 9th level spell slots") is wild mass guessing. Many, many things need to be assumed in order to get that to work, narratively, and it would still be less satisfying than the "convince Redcloak" plan.

    It's totally fair to submit your theory as possible. But it's nowhere near as established as The Order's current goal.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1212 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    ...I agree that it's unlikely that Durkon is going to be using Word of Recall, although I disagree with the notion that the protagonists should be disallowed from sacrificing high level spell slots for disengagement opportunities with strict limitations. For me that falls a bit short of the line of 'too convenient for the good guys to have'...
    I've thought Refuge might've worked well, when it was just Durkon that needed to be whooshed back to the Order. Have V Scry on the area to know when to break the item and get Durkon back. Having Maxrah (LOL) around complicated things. Great lines from her though. Quite subversive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •