Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: New Book on Amazon (TCoE)

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    Yes, they went the lazy way, and now instead of having many optimal race options, different for each class, we now have a few optimal race options for ALL classes, and that is supposed to be diversity. Optimized parties will be far more racially homogeneous than before.
    Out: Melting pots.

In: THX-1138
    Sysdexlic Santa

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Has there been any discussion on the new fighting styles? Some interesting additions to say the least.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Has there been any discussion on the new fighting styles? Some interesting additions to say the least.
    We know which got in the book/how they were modified already?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    We know which got in the book/how they were modified already?
    Sort of. I didn't realize they haven't released that preview yet. I'll wait until its officially spoiled to bring it up.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last edited by Iku Rex; 2020-09-20 at 02:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Barbarian in the Playground

Prepare the weeping and gnashing of teeth, Bell of Lost Souls lists Spell Versatility in their article.

As far as fighting styles:

I'm happy to see blind fighting, so we don't need to homebrew and faff about trying to make that particular fantasy work. Odd that monks can't get it though.

I don't see why Intecessor needs to be a thing, that's the same type of thing as the protector style just mechanically changed (possibly better, haven't done the math)

Thrown Weapon is great thank god that's a thing now. Gonna make a dwarf who carries waaaay too many hand axes now, chuck them all day.

I'm very happy to see that Unarmed fighting includes a damaging effect to grappling, finally I can achieve my irl fantasy of being good at grappling arts. It will be weird that low level fighters are better than monks at punching, but I guess monks get to use dex.
    Last edited by micahaphone; 2020-09-20 at 03:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    Prepare the weeping and gnashing of teeth, Bell of Lost Souls lists Spell Versatility in their article.

I'm happy to see blind fighting, so we don't need to homebrew and faff about trying to make that particular fantasy work. Odd that monks can't get it though.

I don't see why Intecessor needs to be a thing, that's the same type of thing as the protector style just mechanically changed (possibly better, haven't done the math)

Thrown Weapon is great thank god that's a thing now. Gonna make a dwarf who carries waaaay too many hand axes now, chuck them all day.

I'm very happy to see that Unarmed fighting includes a damaging effect to grappling, finally I can achieve my irl fantasy of being good at grappling arts. It will be weird that low level fighters are better than monks at punching, but I guess monks get to use dex.
    Interceptor is better. Because of the wording Protector works before the attack is decided, so thereís a chance it is just a wasted Reaction because the attack wouldíve missed anyway, and a chance itís a wasted Reaction because the attack hits regardless.

While Interceptor you know itís always doing something. Though I still donít think itís a great Fighting Style. Itís too limiting with the 5 foot range and the potential to only negate 3 damage. And it just doesnít scale particularly well. Plus thereís a good chance if youíre the main tank of the party your Reaction is being held on reserve for Sentinel.

So, yeah fixes some annoyances with the earlier Fighting Style, but I donít think it makes it actually all that good. Still quite a bit below the effectiveness of Archeryís breaking of bounded accuracy.

Oh in the original UA version since it didnít specify a target other than you, a player could technically use Interception for an attack targeting themself. Iím assuming that will be fixed though.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2020-09-20 at 03:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Blind fighting might be open to monks via a feat in the same book. It's an odd fighting style to include but darkness spanning warlocks is a common enough thing I could see it often at some tables

As far as interception goes it is better than protection in a few ways and worse in others. First off it doesn't need a shield so it's more flexible in equipment load out. Then if we compare disadvantage vs -1d10+prof on a single attack it gets interesting. Disadvantage doesn't stack and sometimes it doesn't cause a hit to turn into a miss where damage reduction is reliable. (would this reaction have to be cleared after a hit or after the damage has been rolled?)

It is a case by case bases to see if your ally has high enough AC to make use of that disadvantage compared to just a flat damage reduction. They both fall off once the number of attacks coming in make it an expensive use of a reaction. good thing you are no longer locked in a fighting styles. im working on a comparison of protection and this new option but im slow at math and someone will probably beat me.

The thrown weapon one is ok but I think I'll keep using my home brewed one which increases thrown weapon range without disadvantage and adds damage. *I allow drawing weapons as part of an attack as a base rule*

Now the unarmed style is intriguing. you're still not able to hit somebody with a weapon and then punch them because your fist is not a light weapon so monks are still the master of punch. being able to use a classic Star trek double fist hammer is always going a thumbs up in my book.
    The grapple damage is low but getting bonuses to skill checks is really easy and the added damage per attack could mean grapple is a useful strategy a little more at higher levels. bonus points if your DM allows this effect to apply if you use the variant climb on larger creature rules.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-09-20 at 04:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459

The thrown weapon one is ok but I think I'll keep using my home brewed one which increases thrown weapon range without disadvantage and adds damage. *I allow drawing weapons as part of an attack as a base rule*
    yeah if you follow RAW dual wielding and throwing are rough. Hell, I'm now realizing that it might be an assumed homebrew in every group I've played with that you can start combat with your weapons ready, so dual wielders don't need to wait a turn to get their second sword out.

Now the unarmed style is intriguing. you're still not able to hit somebody with a weapon and then punch them because your fist is not a light weapon so monks are still the master of punch. being able to use a classic Star trek double fist hammer is always going a thumbs up in my book.
    The grapple damage is low but getting bonuses to skill checks is really easy and the added damage per attack could mean grapple is a useful strategy a little more at higher levels. bonus points if your DM allows this effect to apply if you use the variant climb on larger creature rules.
    See, I read that differently, with the 2 handed lingo meaning "you're entirely empty handed, no shield" so it could count as dual wielding, get you a bonus action attack. Without a second fighting style you're still not getting str mod to the damage of your bonus punch, but a d8 sized damage ain't shabby.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

See, I read that differently, with the 2 handed lingo meaning "you're entirely empty handed, no shield" so it could count as dual wielding, get you a bonus action attack. Without a second fighting style you're still not getting str mod to the damage of your bonus punch, but a d8 sized damage ain't shabby.
    the problem is an unarmed attack is not an attack with a light one-handed weapon so they don't qualify for the TWF rules at all. easy to houserule or hand wave away but as is no pugilist is tossing out as many blows as a monk.

11. - Top - End - #461

the problem is an unarmed attack is not an attack with a light one-handed weapon so they don't qualify for the TWF rules at all. easy to houserule or hand wave away but as is no pugilist is tossing out as many blows as a monk.
    As much as I enjoy this new fighting style, I feel we're once again unraveling at the seams of 5e. "No, you can't make a bonus action punch, your fists aren't light. Put a dagger into them, now it's light. Your fists weigh more than holding a dagger". I suppose 5e dual wielding has always been a kludge though huh.

edit:

I also feel weird for 2-handed punching getting a mechanical boost, just because envisioning a fighter who primarily hits enemies with double overhands is the weirdest image. "I am the piston! Come into my crushing zone!"
    Last edited by micahaphone; 2020-09-20 at 04:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

ok after some quick napkin math comparing protection and the new interception fighting style i can say that if protection is ran as written, where it has to be declared before attack is hit/miss, then intercept is better up to around average CR 3 attacks.
    so for example a cr 1/4 attacking 17 AC with +5 hit and 1d6+3 damage has a 55% chance of missing and protection will increase that to ~79.75% and interceptor used after a hit lands has a ~82.50% to reduce that damage to 0 and has the edge of being saved for when an attack lands. still trying to figure out how to factor the difference caused by 'wasting' protection on a missed attack.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I enjoy this new fighting style, I feel we're once again unraveling at the seams of 5e. "No, you can't make a bonus action punch, your fists aren't light. Put a dagger into them, now it's light. Your fists weigh more than holding a dagger". I suppose 5e dual wielding has always been a kludge though huh.

edit:

I also feel weird for 2-handed punching getting a mechanical boost, just because envisioning a fighter who primarily hits enemies with double overhands is the weirdest image. "I am the piston! Come into my crushing zone!"
    I mostly agree. like i said allowing twf with unarmed strikes isn't going to break anything.

i wouldn't call 1d6 getting bumped up to 1d8 a boost. its 1 damage which can me flavored as a fake out, a jab/ punch combo, star trek double hammer, or just a case of better balance so a more solid landed blow without having something in your hand(s).

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

As much as I enjoy this new fighting style, I feel we're once again unraveling at the seams of 5e. "No, you can't make a bonus action punch, your fists aren't light. Put a dagger into them, now it's light. Your fists weigh more than holding a dagger". I suppose 5e dual wielding has always been a kludge though huh."
    5e seems to make the distinction between holding a weapon (or having natural weapons) vs. just throwing a punch. I'm more willing to stick a blade into a hostile creature's space, but I'd be hesitant to stick my hand there. 5e notes this as a weapon attack vs. unarmed attack. They're categorically different kinds of actions, weapon weight (or lack thereof) be damned. That's partly why a monk is a thing -- a monk's hands are "lethal weapons" and the monk is more willing to jab them into places most other people wouldn't.

The TWF rules assume you using weapons or their analogs, hence the "light" qualifier. Monks are just a specific-overriding-general in that since their fists are considered weapons, they get the TWF benefits (I think?). But non-monks are still holding back a bit out of fear of losing a finger.

I guess the double-fist slam is just another specific-over-general thing.
    Sysdexlic Santa

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

It's not "unraveling at the seam". "Light" weapons aren't weapons that weight lightly, it's just a key word.

I mostly agree. like i said allowing twf with unarmed strikes isn't going to break anything.
    As long as you give the Monk a different perk for their Martial Art since now everyone can do a bonus action punch, sure.

i wouldn't call 1d6 getting bumped up to 1d8 a boost.
    Monks who get past lvl 10 would disagree.

its 1 damage which can me flavored as a fake out, a jab/ punch combo, star trek double hammer, or just a case of better balance so a more solid landed blow without having something in your hand(s).
    I mean, the Star Trek double hammer punch is unquestionably the superior option

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I think I'm just going to give Monks the Unarmed Fighting Style by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Let's play a game, shall we? Current Game: Soul Void. Updates Mondays, 6PM EST.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

As long as you give the Monk a different perk for their Martial Art since now everyone can do a bonus action punch, sure.

Monks who get past lvl 10 would disagree.
    monks like it because its given to them at no cost but its still kinda lame for them as well. even with 3-4 attacks. if they have been using a q staff or spear up to that point the boost is just laughably small lat most it is on par with the boost a single attack with the duelist style gets.

monks need a lot of help IMO and I like monks. here is hoping the new variant class feature allow them to be more than stun:the class.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

monks like it because its given to them at no cost but its still kinda lame for them as well. even with 3-4 attacks. if they have been using a q staff or spear up to that point the boost is just laughably small lat most it is on par with the boost a single attack with the duelist style gets.

monks need a lot of help IMO and I like monks. here is hoping the new variant class feature allow them to be more than stun:the class.
    If it's just the stuff from the UA... yeah, they're still going to end up being kinda disappointing.

As a reminder, the UA gave them the following:

• You can pick alternate Monk weapons. This is... OK, and doesn't help Monks out at the higher end of things.
    • You can get your Martial Arts BA attack on any turn where you spend at least 1 ki point as part of your action. This really helps 4E Monks and some other niche builds.
    • You can spend 1 ki to attack at long range with ranged weapons without suffering disadvantage. This feature will probably never be used.
    • You can spend 2 ki as an action to roll a Martial Arts die and regain that many hit points. I guess this could be good as a way to burn ki right before a short rest?

As far as I can tell, the only classes that get a new feature later than 3rd level are Barbarians, Clerics, and Rangers. So, assuming that they don't have anything else in their pockets... nah, Monks aren't getting any help for later levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Let's play a game, shall we? Current Game: Soul Void. Updates Mondays, 6PM EST.

19. - Top - End - #469

MindFlayer

I donít know how much I trust that BOLS article, I listened to that session and I donít recall them getting super specific about any of the variant class features, it sort of feels like BOLS just pulled features out of the UA pdf for their article. Now maybe they have confirmation from somewhere other than the session, but maybe not.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I mean, the Star Trek double hammer punch is unquestionably the superior option

Please, Ivan Putski's is a million times better
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Odd question- does duelist work with unarmed attacks?

I ask because unarmed fighting is basically 1d6 (versatile 1d8), bringing the longsword dilemma into play.

And yes, I would totally burn two fighting styles for that.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post

I ask because unarmed fighting is basically 1d6 (versatile 1d8), bringing the longsword dilemma into play.

Champion gets two fighting styles, right? I look forward to seeing a duelist with a shield and nothing else!

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Champion gets two fighting styles, right? I look forward to seeing a duelist with a shield and nothing else!
    Now I'm wondering did you mean literally nothing else but a shield, as in not even armor (or clothes!?)...
    My Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Current Characters:
    Arkhios "Wolfhammer", V.Human Paladin (Ancients) 5 (Dawnfall: The Greendale Campaign)
    Anarriel, Valenar Fighter (Cavalier/TBD) 4 (Eberron: Embers of the Last War)

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post

It should work, yes. No weapon in hand.

Don't think you can do the 1d8 with a shield, though.

EDIT: definitively seems like Bell of Lost Souls is more re-stating what was in the UA than what is in the finished product.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-09-21 at 04:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Now I'm wondering did you mean literally nothing else but a shield, as in not even armor (or clothes!?)...
    Cue Gerard Butler bellowing "This is SPARTA" and it might work ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

26. - Top - End - #476
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nope, still salty about thrown weapon style.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Nope, still salty about thrown weapon style.
    Is it confirmed it's not in Tasha's, or are you salty about it for some other reason?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Is it confirmed it's not in Tasha's, or are you salty about it for some other reason?
    Id be happy not to see it, the way i look at that style is the same as most Ranger UA and to a lesser extent the hexblade. WotC see the problem in the PHB and are fixing in a very roundabout fashion that arguably causes more problems than it corrects.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2020-09-21 at 04:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Id be happy not to see it, the way i look at that style is the same as most Ranger UA and to a lesser extent the hexblade. WotC see the problem in the PHB and are fixing in a very roundabout fashion that arguably causes more problems than it corrects.
    What problems does thrown weapon style cause?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    What problems does thrown weapon style cause?
    I'd have to guess the issue at hand is putting a fix in a style rather than correcting the underlying rule. So the most evocative thrower in a lot of people's minds, the Rogue, is still terrible at it because they don't get a style.

I'd agree with that sentiment, but given WoTC creep=patch mentality I'm just happy we got some viability for it at all. It does make me want to make someone that throws weapons in different ways though, pick up a couple styles from multiclassing (probably Gloom Stalker with a Fighter dip) and mix:

-The heavy handed: Dueling + Thrown style for +3 damage*

-The juggler: TWF + Thrown style for a bonus action throw with mod and +1

*Bonus points for scrounging enough Artificer for Returning weapon, rocket propelled spear anyone?
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-09-22 at 03:53 AM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges