Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New Book on Amazon (TCoE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I'd have to guess the issue at hand is putting a fix in a style rather than correcting the underlying rule. So the most evocative thrower in a lot of people's minds, the Rogue, is still terrible at it because they don't get a style.

I'd agree with that sentiment, but given WoTC creep=patch mentality I'm just happy we got some viability for it at all. It does make me want to make someone that throws weapons in different ways though, pick up a couple styles from multiclassing (probably Gloom Stalker with a Fighter dip) and mix:

-The heavy handed: Dueling + Thrown style for +3 damage*

-The juggler: TWF + Thrown style for a bonus action throw with mod and +1

*Bonus points for scrounging enough Artificer for Returning weapon, rocket propelled spear anyone?
    None of those seem like they'd be particularly break anything. 1d6+3 at moderate range with two fighting styles vs. 1d8+2 (longsword) in melee with one fighting style seems...completely reasonable to me.

If there's a big broken combo I'm not seeing it, but I could definitely be wrong. Only papering over the cause of the issue rather than rewriting the base rules is an unfortunate reality, but I definitely wouldn't put thrown fighting style anywhere near hexblade as 'problematic' design.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #482
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I'd have to guess the issue at hand is putting a fix in a style rather than correcting the underlying rule. So the most evocative thrower in a lot of people's minds, the Rogue, is still terrible at it because they don't get a style.
    Yep, more or less. Same goes for Barbarians, monks, martial bards, warlocks, etc. Plus it also locks in your style to alleviate the drawbacks of your chosen way of fighting rather than grant benefits.

TWF irks me in a similar vein, watching things like the Ranger UAs, elven doubleblade, etc strike me as a poor patch compared to modifying the base rule, style and/or feat.

Which totally could be done. We’re in the internet age, years into an edition built on the Next playtest. If things like Healing Spirit can be sigificantly changed with some minor tweaks there is no reason throwing, TWF and other sore points couldn’t be.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2020-09-22 at 04:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    None of those seem like they'd be particularly break anything. 1d6+3 at moderate range with two fighting styles vs. 1d8+2 (longsword) in melee with one fighting style seems...completely reasonable to me.

If there's a big broken combo I'm not seeing it, but I could definitely be wrong. Only papering over the cause of the issue rather than rewriting the base rules is an unfortunate reality, but I definitely wouldn't put thrown fighting style anywhere near hexblade as 'problematic' design.
    I never said nor meant that it would be broken or unbalanced, I just shared some things I look forward to doing that I think will be fun. The problematic part of the design is patching something in this method doesn't really fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Yep, more or less. Same goes for Barbarians, monks, martial bards, warlocks, etc. Plus it also locks in your style to allevoate the drawbacks of your chosen way of foghting rather than grant benefits.

TWF irks me in a similar vein, watching things like the Ranger UAs, elven doubleblade, etc are a poor patch conpared to modifying the base rule, style and/or feat.

We're mostly in agreement here, I have made my thoughts on TWF well known on this forum :p

I wouldn't have thought it was a problem for Barbarians though, they wouldn't get rage damage on a thrown attack anyway, it would help with the edge cases of being out of range at 5+ though.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges