New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Outsiders memories wiped - what about the IFCC?

Hey, sorry if this question has been already answered in the past. In strip 1147, Thor tells Durkon that outsiders have their memories wiped every time the world is remade: does this imply that Nero, Cedric and Lee, who are not gods, are formatted too? Like, this IFCC thingie they have going on belongs only to this world tenure, correct?

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Outsiders memories wiped - what about the IFCC?

If the gods have been doing their job properly, yes.

Of course there could be the plot twist that the three of them managed to avoid being memory wiped and because of that have plans concerning the Snarl...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

They did seem to indicate that they were a new thing when V first met them, rather then a long-term thing that's been going on for an extended period.

if they did form in previous worlds, i'd expect either they just independently did so multiple times, or their memories were tweaked to believe the initial idea was formed before / during this world's creation.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    They did seem to indicate that they were a new thing when V first met them, rather then a long-term thing that's been going on for an extended period.

if they did form in previous worlds, i'd expect either they just independently did so multiple times, or their memories were tweaked to believe the initial idea was formed before / during this world's creation.
    New headcanon: as far as the gods are concerned, the IFCC is basically Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

As far as we know the IFCC didn't even know about this whole Snarl business until 380. (which is also their first appearance)

Edit- That said, they may have been going on for much longer. The gates are only a means to an end to them, their goal is to overthrow good or something- with or without the Snarl.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2020-09-03 at 10:50 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I got the impression that the whole Gate thing (where the rifts are temporarily plugged but the world is not destroyed) is a somewhat unusual state of affairs. The IFCC may not usually have the opportunity to observe the existence of the Snarl for any meaningful amount of time before the Big Reset, which makes this world a unique chance for them. A once-in-existence opportunity for them to study the Snarl, possibly draw certain conclusions about what its existence means for their past, get angry about it, and develop a plan to take advantage of the situation.

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

How old are they? They might be not even alive back then.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    As far as we know the IFCC ...

... their goal is to overthrow good or something- ...
    And this doesn't have to be incompatible with not actually having a clue of what is going on.

I would say that's a ruse perpetuated by the evil gods, something to boost their power in this world by using fiends as pawns. That's kinda how evil works isn't it. Surreptiously. The fiends themselves fulfil their assigned role in a fantasy parody. It's a fantasy rpg so there must be fiends plotting to overthrow the good gods. Their connecting to the Snarl business might lead them to finding out incovenient truths sooner than later ofc. But basically the IFCC is as beholden to the gods who created the world as thier good counterparts are. Except the good ones might not be happy to know how the gods actually conduct business.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The IFCC seems relatively recent even by this world's definition, and might not even make sense in other worlds. It depends on how much D&D metaphysics apply beyond the simple planet. Did the cyberpunk universe have the standard alignment tic-tac-toe grid, or were the concepts released to the astral and outer planes more freeform?

There's also the part where standard D&D lore has the various types of fiends absolutely hating each other. Which means that evil often winds up fighting evil more often than it fights good. (Good and neutral creatures being quite happy that evil creatures are spending their strength killing each other instead of turning their collective attentions elsewhere.) The IFCC is more a nod to this, which readers who haven't been playing the game forever might not know about, than anything that naturally grows out of the snarl business.

So yeah. Fiends from across the alignment spectrum joining up is likely an idea that occurs naturally over time in any world that has a law/chaos axis as well as a good/evil one. They don't need to muddy up the multiple worlds plot when they're plenty effective just taken at face value.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Hey, sorry if this question has been already answered in the past. In strip 1147, Thor tells Durkon that outsiders have their memories wiped every time the world is remade: does this imply that Nero, Cedric and Lee, who are not gods, are formatted too? Like, this IFCC thingie they have going on belongs only to this world tenure, correct?
    Yes. And they know about the gate because Sabine said them about it when she went to "pay tribute to the Blood Knight".

Edit: it was the Red Knight, anyway https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2020-09-04 at 05:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

amused Re: Outsiders memories wiped - what about the IFCC?

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    And this doesn't have to be incompatible with not actually having a clue of what is going on.

I would say that's a ruse perpetuated by the evil gods, something to boost their power in this world by using fiends as pawns. That's kinda how evil works isn't it. Surreptiously. The fiends themselves fulfil their assigned role in a fantasy parody. It's a fantasy rpg so there must be fiends plotting to overthrow the good gods. Their connecting to the Snarl business might lead them to finding out incovenient truths sooner than later ofc. But basically the IFCC is as beholden to the gods who created the world as thier good counterparts are. Except the good ones might not be happy to know how the gods actually conduct business.
    Possibly... but Mr. Burlew does emphasize that evil is not a big happy family. Even if the Evil Gods planned for the IFCC to be elite pawns, fiends are traditionally untrustworthy and hostile to any deity (serving evil ones out of fear, rather than respect), and would certainly attempt to have their own agenda. The IFCC's desire to stop the blood war is hardly in line with that goal. Plus their scheme did cost Tiamat a lot of actual or potential black dragon worshipers (presumably that relates to deistic needs for balanced nourishment)... and the IFCC did seem to imply that their statement was nothing more than a distraction to mollify her wrath.
    2B or not 2B, that is... a really inane question

In communication and in fiction, what is intended and what is understood, rarely align even in the best of times. It even rarer for it to be the best of times.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    Yes. And they know about the gate because Sabine said them about it when she went to "pay tribute to the Blood Knight".

Edit: it was the Red Knight, anyway https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html
    I'm going to nitpick and say that we never saw Sabine reveal it to them, and without that scene (and maybe even if we had had it), we don't know that they didn't already know.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I'm going to nitpick and say that we never saw Sabine reveal it to them, and without that scene (and maybe even if we had had it), we don't know that they didn't already know.
    Now I am wondering ... 10% of what?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I get the feeling that Thor's line about the outsiders going nuts from learning about the big picture was a hint about what's happening or perhaps already happened to the IFCC Directors.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I suspect the ifcc plan is due to the one aspect of the current world that lead to the dark one - this iteration is a self-referring parody
    So the evil outsiders can see that it’s better to cooperate and kill the good guys first
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

16. - Top - End - #16

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New headcanon: as far as the gods are concerned, the IFCC is basically Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day.
    Needle nose Ned? Ned the Head?

I love this. “Sigh, of COURSE they’re doing it AGAIN.”
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

My Headcanon (which could still be confirmed as Canon) is that everyone making plans in this comic is doing so without all the information. We've seen it with the Dark One, Redcloak, Xykon, Tsukiko, Miko, The Order, Tarquin, Durkon, even Thor and Odin. The IFCCs plan could be built off a false premise; they believe they have all the information but don't know about the outsider memory wipe. This doesn't mean they don't have information we don't, it means they don't have information that we do.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Now I am wondering ... 10% of what?
    Probably souls in some fashion.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    My Headcanon (which could still be confirmed as Canon) is that everyone making plans in this comic is doing so without all the information. We've seen it with the Dark One, Redcloak, Xykon, Tsukiko, Miko, The Order, Tarquin, Durkon, even Thor and Odin. The IFCCs plan could be built off a false premise; they believe they have all the information but don't know about the outsider memory wipe. This doesn't mean they don't have information we don't, it means they don't have information that we do.
    That does make sense. Also it would be kind of strange if, of all the groups, it was a bunch of fiends who had all the information. I mean I know fiends are supposed to be the ones promising forbidden knowledge to overeager mortals but it's not like they can just look all of this stuff up on a whim.

Although I do still think it's within the realm of possibility that Thor's comment about the outsiders ends up being relevant.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Although I do still think it's within the realm of possibility that Thor's comment about the outsiders ends up being relevant.
    I guess it all comes down to how much the IFCC matters going forwards, beyond their ability to remove V from play twice more. I have a feeling that this being the closing book, however, they're not going to have their villainous role expanded that much.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    I guess it all comes down to how much the IFCC matters going forwards, beyond their ability to remove V from play twice more. I have a feeling that this being the closing book, however, they're not going to have their villainous role expanded that much.
    ... Except that at the end of the last book, there was a cutaway to the IFCC which suggested their villainous role was going to expand significantly.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    ... Except that at the end of the last book, there was a cutaway to the IFCC which suggested their villainous role was going to expand significantly.
    Yeah, they are putting an artifact into play, and IIRC, Redcloak's cloak is the only artifact in the game/story so far.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have to agree that it certainly seems that the IFCC are going to crash and bash their way onto the prime material scene more effectively than the Kool-Aid guy bursting through a wall as soon as they put their vaguely promised "artifact" and "vessel" into play. This strikes me as very much a second-act "from bad to infinitely worse" development that storytelling today seems to absolutely love.

At this point, I think it would be awesomely poetic justice if the IFCC were to end up with the ritual-controlled Rift and Snarl redirected onto and unleashed upon their home domain(s), to unmake them utterly and to permanently remove their collective threat to the current OotS world and any future world in-universe.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    At this point, I think it would be awesomely poetic justice if the IFCC were to end up with the ritual-controlled Rift and Snarl redirected onto and unleashed upon their home domain(s), to unmake them utterly and to permanently remove their collective threat to the current OotS world and any future world in-universe.
    Y'see, that would likely create more problems than it would solve.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Y'see, that would likely create more problems than it would solve.
    How so exactly? By all indications, the IFCC's personal domain(s) appear(s) to be distinct from those of even the evil gods and the "guys downstairs".

By their own admission, all the IFCC want is "destructive, unnecessary conflict", which the overarching story seems to be taking a fairly strong position against.

26. - Top - End - #26

How so exactly? By all indications, the IFCC's personal domain(s) appear(s) to be distinct from those of even the evil gods and the "guys downstairs".

By their own admission, all the IFCC want is "destructive, unnecessary conflict", which the overarching story seems to be taking a fairly strong position against.
    All those souls Lee's getting on the mail… I have difficulty believing they do not power some plane which is at least partially under some Lawful Evil god's control.
    Not to mention that this would mean the Snarl is loose and out in the open.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    All those souls Lee's getting on the mail… I have difficulty believing they do not power some plane which is at least partially under some Lawful Evil god's control.
    Not to mention that this would mean the Snarl is loose and out in the open.
    Loose on one plane (if not demiplane) that's not exactly a loss in terms of cosmological survival.

Lee cannot be the only person processing souls for a Lawful Evil god who can find other demonic servants to do the same.

It's not like Evil is one big, happy family (an idea that's been explicitly rejected on multiple occasions) -- if anything, it seems the Evil gods don't even truly know the IFCC's plan, if Tiamat's reaction is any indication. If the Evil gods realize that the IFCC's plan is just too destructive to be tolerated, particularly in the context of the struggle against the Snarl, even they would likely cut the IFCC loose.

28. - Top - End - #28

Loose on one plane (if not demiplane) that's not exactly a loss in terms of cosmological survival.
    The Snarl loose anywhere outside its prison is a risk in terms of cosmological survival.

Lee cannot be the only person processing souls for a Lawful Evil god who can find other demonic servants to do the same.
    You mean devilish, don't you?

It's not like Evil is one big, happy family (an idea that's been explicitly rejected on multiple occasions) -- if anything, it seems the Evil gods don't even truly know the IFCC's plan, if Tiamat's reaction is any indication. If the Evil gods realize that the IFCC's plan is just too destructive to be tolerated, particularly in the context of the struggle against the Snarl, even they would likely cut the IFCC loose.
    Of course it isn't a big happy family.
    The problem is more about losing a plane which stores soul energy for someone.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

If the Snarl finds a dimensional portal to the Astral, pretty much everything everywhere is screwed.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    If the Snarl finds a dimensional portal to the Astral, pretty much everything everywhere is screwed.
    With luck, though, it will still take thirty thousand googleplex years for it to get from that portal to another portal or to the habitation of any other sentient being.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.