New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Civ6itp3: Random Encounters.

So it begins.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

The Nubians have found our promised land. In the wild wild world, we shall send out feelers to discover new frontiers and learn all we can about this fertile range.

We must move quickly to discover how to string this wood in order to launch arrows at our prey.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm fine with this start location.

Spoiler: Spectator info
    Show
    It's actually pretty great, lots to chop and some good coastline to get Indonesia's district adjacency bonus. After some thought I decided to settle where I started; it has fresh water, the faith bonus for settling next to coast or lake, and at least one 4 yield space to have my first pop work. Settling anywhere else would have wasted a forest tile, so I think this was the right choice. Working on a slinger and Mining research.

Last edited by Eurus; 2020-09-02 at 02:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: DataNinja
    Show

Nice start! Two luxuries that I can see, +3 Harbour, and good tiles in the first ring!

Spoiler: Illven
    Show

... I mean it's not a desert start, but it doesn't have much going for it Though you do have that reef to give your campus a boost. Where did you end up settling?

Spoiler: RayGallade
    Show

What sort of deviant doesn't have yield icons on????? I kid I kid.
    Nice start though, desert tiles for pyramids (Nubian and otherwise), horses, at least one mine-able resource.

Spoiler: Eurus
    Show

Indeed a very nice start! I personally would have settled where the warrior is to get that +3 harbour, but I think I'm overly biased towards harbours And it would get rid of a Kampung location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectator
    Show
    Yep! I'm happy. Plus hills that're far enough away that I'll be able to surround my campus with useful stuff. Because I made sure to read up on how to use this stuff, this time!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Looks decent; settler started one square to the right. Toyed with going to the plains hill for the extra hammer and more usable tiles but losing a turn on online speed is huge and I want to pop that wheat tile soon for the eureka. Might be a good Petra city to the NE if there's another oasis and some more desert hills. Right now I'm wondering whether or not I should make a play at the pyramids but I think I rather go for rapid expansion to get the most out of my free monuments. The extra culture into God King civic should give me one of the first pantheon picks but need to see more terrain to be sure what to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Gotta say, Civ 6 and Steam don't seem to be giving me any notifications of when my turn is up. Or at least, none that I've seen. Is there any way to fix that?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Gotta say, Civ 6 and Steam don't seem to be giving me any notifications of when my turn is up. Or at least, none that I've seen. Is there any way to fix that?
    There is, but I have been poking around, and I cannot for the life of me figure out where that setting is. I get turn notifications for my turn, but I cannot for the life of me find where the option is in steam. I just stumbled upon it at one point, but I can't find it again. Whenever I get my next turn notification I'll post a link to where the notifications can be found because, frustratingly, that's where I think that setting is, but I can't find where it is without there being a turn notification!

Edit, this should work:
    Code:
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/[your Steam username]/gamenotifications/
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-09-03 at 12:45 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Welcome to America! We are a land that believes foremost in technology, but I, Jessica O’Connel, also have a firm belief that our land is precious and should not be squandered needlessly. Care must be taken to ensure that we can live a balance between technological advancement and the beauty of nature.

Welcome to my home, the University of Illinois in the great city of Chicago.

Don’t mind the broken down VW van in the parking lot. I’ll get around to fixing it someday.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectator
    Show

[That might actually be gathering storm only, I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    "Milady, a message from the warriors."

"A Scout! We have also determined that there is a strange new landmass due northwest of MRE."

"This news of scouts bodes ill. Prepare the sling expedition for war."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like to see the terrain. With yields on it just looks messy and cluttered to me.
    Right now my plan is to archer rush my first neighbor or two after expanding south west into some nice floodplains + desert hills. Need to find where Archery is in the random tree though.

I've also already discovered a new continent, so scratch one inspiration.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    "The explorations have been going well! We have come across natives of this planet who are willing to ply us with gold in exchange for tales of the stars, and our scouts have come across something truly remarkable. Something that my father would prattle on about for no end. A plant called 'tea'."

"We do not as of yet possess what is needed to refine this in vast quantities, but we believe that, from the tales that were told about it, this will surely bring us great advancements with its apparently-magical properties."

"There are, unfortunately, those who are more hostile to us... but we will prevail."

So... I feel this is a very, very good start. That's a spicy-looking place for a second city, and the fact that it's a resource that boosts Science seems like it will be very nice combine with the hilly area to lay down some mines. A Settler is coming, right after that Warrior. The only roadblock at that point is going to be finding the stupid technology to give campuses.

Only further thing I could have wished for would be a Scientific City-state for a better jump-start, but you can't have everything.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    ...so, y'know how I was lamenting something about not having a Science city-state nearby?

13. - Top - End - #73

Show

"So first, my aides tell me there is in fact no reason to ever build a learning device next to a reef, then they tell me that appartently a perfect nestled mountain spot is infested with horses, and we apparently can't just kill them all for some reason."

"We here at Alexandria, call this place the blasted hellscape~"

The formal diaries of Princess Alexandria von Dragonstongue.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #74

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: TheFallenOne
    Show

Not a bad start!

Spoiler: Lentrax
    Show

Not a bad start! No luxuries close by, but at least there's an amber and I think a sugar to the west?

Spoiler: DataNinja
    Show

Nice!

Spoiler: Illven
    Show

Double oof for the reefs and horses.
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Yeah, I am feeling a lot better this game. As opposed to the one that just finished, wherein I had perpetual tundra, and exactly one city state that I knew of for the longest time.
    ...Or the other one that we don't talk about.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll win, but I feel like I'll give a much greater showing of myself this time!
    (And now watch me proceed to eat those words. Heavy seasoning of salt optional.)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Just got my pantheon! I guess the free builder on Fertility Rites and free settler on Religious Settlements only appear in GS, so that's a pity. Goddess of the Harvest is available, which is interesting because I've heard that can be pretty busted. But in the end I took Earth Goddess, since my coastal and island cities can benefit from it a lot and it's nice to have some passive faith income. Forgot to screenshot, I'll grab one next turn.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Show

We have found a natural wonder, the Dead Sea! This will help us expand our understanding of the world. We will dispatch a research team as soon as possible to study this.

We also find fertile lands to the East. These lands can help us feed our researchers, and fuel further scientific research.

And the discovery of the Dead Sea has provided a breakthrough on Astrology, our first efforts at exploring and understanding the skies.

[Also, I double checked in case I made an error, but I did settle on spices. As soon as I research irrigation, they will be a boon for our capitol.]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Exploration goes... slowly. We seem to be on a peninsula, or perhaps a large island. Easy to defend, so I'm pumping out my second city ASAP.

19. - Top - End - #79

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Lentrax
    Show

Erm ... I'm not if this is what you meant, or if it's correct, but I'm pretty sure if you settle on a resource you only get the base yields of the resource, not the improvement bonus, even if you have the relevant technology. Could be wrong though.

Spoiler: Eurus
    Show

Pity that your capital is smack bang in the middle of the island, you might have been able to fit in maybe 3 cities if it was closer to a coast. Still got a decent 2nd city to the south though, and it's a nice start in general!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I don’t know for sure, but it should be generating a gold, which isn’t showing up on the yield icons. That leads me to believe I need irrigation for it, but like I said. We will see. Not a huge deal if I don’t get it, since it’s still boosting food in the capital.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    "M'lady, we have mobilized our sling squads. We are ready to move out on your command."

"Very well, my servant, send out the settlement corps."

Here we see the capital, MRE. It shall someday be a great city of this world.

I'm thinking of settling here in the floodplains. If I can find Mathematics, then the surrounding hills should provide an excellent Petra city for me. Just need to hope that I got a good seed for my random techs.

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler: Raygallade;Nubia
    Show

"Greetings from the south beyond the great lake of Azania, we are the Arabians, and I am Princess Alexandra von Dragonstongue, leader of the Arabian people."

~Princess Alexandria von Dragonstongue

Spoiler: Spectator update
    Show

[I think this is the AI dutch?]

[Also why two leaders within ten tiles of my capital. ]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Illven (Arabia)
    Show
    "Hello Princess Alexandra, I am Governor Bibble, representing Queen Apailana Amanitoré of Nubia. We are in search of parts for a J-type 327 Nubian, do you know where we might find one?"

Show
    "M'lady, we have discovered a strange people who speak in a strange tongue on the outskirts of MRE."

"Send them on their way with some wealth, but follow them. Learn where they live so that we may claim their lands."

-------------------------------------------------

Target acquired. So much for my hope that I would have a peaceful interaction with Illven this game.

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler: Ray Gallade;Nubia
    Show

"No, our apologies, we have no earthly idea what that could be."

~Princess Alexandria.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: RayGallade/ Nubia
    Show
    Greetings from the research team at the Univeristy of Illinois in the great city of Chicago!

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Lentrex (America)
    Show
    "Hello esteemed academics, I am Governor Bibble, representing Queen Apailana Amanitoré of Nubia. We are in search of parts for a J-type 327 Nubian, do you know where we might find one?"

Show
    "M'lady, there is another group of people speaking a strange tongue. They speak of something called a 'university.'"

"Again, send them on their way with some gold, but take note of where they travel. Perhaps they too shall give their lands to us."

-----------------------------------------------------

Hm, second target?

27. - Top - End - #87

Show

"We have obtained a priceless jewel, a shimmering rainbow colored gem. It was immediately set into my crown, never to leave the Palace of Alexandria."

"And we have met people of the Dutch, and of the Mayans. But they seem... simpler somehow then the Nubians.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spectator Update
    Show
    "M'lady, we've done it! Our craftsmen have assembled bows!"

"Well done, General, now it is time to show the world that the Nubians are a force to be reckoned with. Outfit our three sling parties with bows, we march to victory."

---------------------------------------------------------

Turn 12-ish archery, extra fast production on archers, 30 ranged strength, and 3 movement on my Pitati Archers. Ancient Era conquest, here we come.

Any bets on how many civs I can overrun before the Pitati Archer is useless?

29. - Top - End - #89

Show

[So RayGallade has 3-4 times my military. Can't help but feel someone (possibly me) is getting Nubian bowmen rushed.]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Right, should probably Spectator Update
    Show
    "Expansion here is going swimmingly. We've found resources aplenty, and the right positions to make the most of our research facilities! Just, uh, just as soon as we can figure out how to get those together."

"Unfortunately, it seems like we'll end up with very little space to expand after our fourth colony, so we are currently beginning a campaign to venture forth onto the oceans, as well as search eastward."

"Below our civilization is rather quite disappointing - too hot or too cold, and far too few resources to bootstrap ourselves up. We have yet encountered another scouting party, though we are uncertain whether they're hostile, or even able to communicate. Our hails have gone unresponded to, but we will continue to make the attempt."

So... yeah. Good starting position, just one barbarian camp that was a cinch to take out, but... problems beyond that. City states are a tad too close, boxing me in, and the rest of the land that I've seen has been desert or tundra. Not particularly helpful.