New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Civ6itp3: Random Encounters.

Is declaring war on someone who's probably a full tech level ahead of me and has vastly more production power a stupid move? Yes, yes it is. But at some point, you've got to take a shot at Goliath, and the longer you wait the worse it'll be.

Although I didn't realize Nubia had multiple battleships floating around out there, which is unfortunate...
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-11-06 at 07:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You shall soon discover the folly of daring to attack our fully armed and operational Sheev-Class battleships. Based on our plans for the J-Type 327 Nubian, our B-Type 163 Sheevs shall rule the seas and tear down your walls.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Is declaring war on someone who's probably a full tech level ahead of me and has vastly more production power a stupid move? Yes, yes it is. But at some point, you've got to take a shot at Goliath, and the longer you wait the worse it'll be.

Although I didn't realize Nubia had multiple battleships floating around out there, which is unfortunate...
    You picked... a bit of a bad time, methinks. Given that there's just been another war, so a ramping up of forces. I was genuinely surprised at you starting a war when you had 3x less military.
    Though it made me laugh that one turn after making peace, I'm embroiled in war again.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You picked... a bit of a bad time, methinks. Given that there's just been another war, so a ramping up of forces. I was genuinely surprised at you starting a war when you had 3x less military.
    Though it made me laugh that one turn after making peace, I'm embroiled in war again.
    Just when you thought your were out, they pull you back in
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not going to say it was partly motivated by boredom... but it's been pretty slow for me down here. >.>

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eurus is my kind of player!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not going to say it was partly motivated by boredom... but it's been pretty slow for me down here. >.>
    ...I would totally have traded you.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

TBH, I'm terrible at war in Civ 6, but the options are either "play another hundred turns and watch Nubia launch a space program that I can't possibly catch up with" or "declare war, probably die horribly, but at least it's over". There's just not much entertainment to be had when you're sitting around building stuff but knowing that somebody else has already run away with the game. I was hoping that they wouldn't have as much of a naval force as they obviously did and that I could run around for a little while being a nuisance, but they either had half a dozen battleships on standby or enough of an economic engine to buy them outright (either one of which would make them pretty much untouchable no matter what I tried).

It's a little disappointing, because I think my early game wasn't bad, and I pumped out a lot of cities, but it was obviously no match for Nubia's early snowball.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-11-09 at 02:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Out of Character Response
    Show
    The naval war came down to me having four battleships already built to support the Korean war effort, plus another two that were essentially locked into my port after Ethiopia refused to open their borders.

And yeah, I know how you feel about sitting while someone runs away with the game. I've been on the losing end of that a fair few times. Still feel bad for archer rushing two players before finding any AI to kill.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

TBH, I'm terrible at war in Civ 6, but the options are either "play another hundred turns and watch Nubia launch a space program that I can't possibly catch up with" or "declare war, probably die horribly, but at least it's over". There's just not much entertainment to be had when you're sitting around building stuff but knowing that somebody else has already run away with the game. I was hoping that they wouldn't have as much of a naval force as they obviously did and that I could run around for a little while being a nuisance, but they either had half a dozen battleships on standby or enough of an economic engine to buy them outright (either one of which would make them pretty much untouchable no matter what I tried).

It's a little disappointing, because I think my early game wasn't bad, and I pumped out a lot of cities, but it was obviously no match for Nubia's early snowball.
    Yeah, no, that's an immense mood. I feel like I had a pretty decent start, but I, too, am terrible at war, so I ended up with nowhere near enough military to fend off any cursory assault, let alone a full militarized society. Alas. You live and you learn. ...well, you don't always live. And learning can be hard, too.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am thoroughly beaten. I still have a good army and just destroyed Nubia's first tank corps while only losing my bombard in return, but in the end I am just delaying the inevitable. The onslaught of Nubia's armies is endless, he just has too many cities for me to compete with.

I probably was too slow to conquer Korea, I could have attacked with Legions way earlier but I desperately kept searching for Mathematics in the tech tree instead of finishing Iron Working and in the end I didn't even get the Petra. That delay was enough for Korea to get some crossbows up and my attack stalled. That was my crucial mistake that limited the expansion of my territory. Also didn't help to spawn at the edge of the map with tundra to the south and desert to the north and a single neighbour when playing expansion-focused Rome. Ideally I'd have taken one civ with archers+warriors, then upgrade to Legions and attack a second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

If it makes you feel any better, you thoroughly trounced me. If I'd not had aid from Nubia (both in some trade, and that attack bonus from a military alliance), I would have folded even quicker. I was basically just... staving off the inevitable, and scrambling for more and better defenses.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'll keep playing as long as we feel like keeping it up, but should we call it at some point?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Alas. I burned a great admiral on an armada and one shotted one battleship, but it still died easily on the next turn. Too many battleships, with an admiral of their own. I don't even have coal; there's not a single coal spot anywhere I've seen yet.

Anyway, two of my biggest cities down, no way to take them back. I think I'm going to just concede here.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-11-12 at 11:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Alas. I burned a great admiral on an armada and one shotted one battleship, but it still died easily on the next turn. Too many battleships, with an admiral of their own. I don't even have coal; there's not a single coal spot anywhere I've seen yet.

Anyway, two of my biggest cities down, no way to take them back. I think I'm going to just concede here.
    Yeah, I only ever had coal because of Hattusa. Never seen any myself. This game has definitely been... interesting with resources. But, it's fair. No point in continuing more if you aren't having fun.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Still, I kinda hate to do it, but I figure it's pretty late in the game and it's not unreasonably early to concede.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I imagine that even all the remaining military in the world wouldn't be enough to stop Nubia at this point. Nor anyone have enough culture/science to sneak up there.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If folks want to concede, I completely understand and have no issues with it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

You certainly won this one so I'm fine calling it. Nothing I can do to stop Nubia and my capital is already lost.

I had some nice big cities with Baths and Audience Chamber, but I was too slow to expand my territory to keep up in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Thinking back... hmm. Obviously I should have been more aggressive early, and tried to mess with anyone I found, but I didn't realize Nubia was such a powerhouse until it was too late. Also, I was pretty isolated, but I had some boats scouting early. If I'd attacked Nubia like sixty turns earlier maybe things would have been different?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thinking back... hmm. Obviously I should have been more aggressive early, and tried to mess with anyone I found, but I didn't realize Nubia was such a powerhouse until it was too late. Also, I was pretty isolated, but I had some boats scouting early. If I'd attacked Nubia like sixty turns earlier maybe things would have been different?
    I think the best time would have been when Gallade first went to war to protect Ninja. You had a decent chance of winning that war by splitting Gallade's forces, The NinjaGallade alliance wasn't so strong it was certain it could best both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think the best time would have been when Gallade first went to war to protect Ninja. You had a decent chance of winning that war by splitting Gallade's forces, The NinjaGallade alliance wasn't so strong it was certain it could best both of you.
    I don't recall if I saw a notification for that war in game, and obviously I wasn't fully aware of what all was going on, but you're probably right.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    This. TheFallenOne also bribed Scythia, Maya, and the Netherlands (eventually) into joining the war on his side. Had you also declared war on me then, I likely would have been completely overwhelmed with a four front war. As it was, I barely managed to pull enough forces to Korea to win there.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I wasn't really in any position to contribute. I... basically only had walls and a single Hwacha per city protecting me. My entire group contribution effort was... pretty much just as a distraction to keep the focus on me, and giving +5 combat.

It's a shame, because I was feeling pretty good about my early game. I had four cities, all with campuses, plus spawning next to two scientific city states. I was up past, like, 70+ science early on, and almost matching everyone else's culture, which I was happy about. Because those're things that I've been abysmal at throughout most of these games.

...but, alas. Turns out, I neglected my military, and so cometh the fall as I am once again next to an aggressive neighbour.
    (Didn't help that I was still in the mindset of Germany and their powerful industrial zones, so, uh, very much was not in good places for Production. )

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The History of the Nubian People, as told by Governor Sio Bibble, governor to Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Apailana Amanitoré of Nubia, Defender of Peacemaker's Rest, President of the University of Illinois, Conqueror of the Scyth, Diplomat Supreme, Subjugator of the Maya, Oath Keeper, Caesar of East Rome, Caesar of West Rome, Turtle Supreme, and Queen of the Stars

At the dawn of time, the Nubians sought the plans for their prophesied J-Type 327 Nubian. We slaughtered the smuggling Arabs and took possession of the American educational academies. At the time, we believed that our conquering days were behind us. However, as the history books show, we were brought into what would eventually become the World War. President Dent of the United Galactic Government sent a call for aid to our troops. Although we had minimal interaction with the southern continent at that point, we agreed to enter the war. The Romans soon bribed the other nations into joining the war. And the rest is history.

At the end of the war, we invited President Dent a position in the Queen's cabinet as the Nubians took their place among the stars, having completed the J-Type 327 Nubian.

Spoiler: Final Cities Update
    Show

MRE served the empire well. I put the desert region to good use with our districts and wonders. Thanks to the early wars, the capital was never threatened by warfare. We eventually started running out of things to build here. Although it wasn't the most productive city in my empire, I still got four wonders in it (and would have had 5 if I'd remembered that the Colosseum needs an Entertainment Complex in its own city).

The production powerhouse for the empire, Nubian Security Bureau headquarters was an awesome Petra city. The only issue I had here was that I didn't have enough culture production here to grab all of the desert hills until late game. Even still, this city worked out great for us. If TheFallenOne had gotten his Petra, this would have been an entirely different game (even with Petra not boosting floodplains).

Its covered up by the ribbon, but BSE didn't do much for me. Granted, its only purpose was to settle on top of an oil, set up an improvement for the other oil next to it, and then build a harbor to provide more income. Worked like a dream.

Smuggler's Arrest and Peacemaker's Rest did not do much all game. Just didn't get much production going in either of them. Probably didn't help that the aluminum and uranium were hiding there all game.

The American cities served me decently enough. Research Outpost 1 was more useful as a forward outpost. After all the humans dropped, I put in a pair of national parks here to deal with the amenity issues from warmongering. Probably should have just bit the bullet and stopped hunting for Cold War's containment.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...AE494389D10FA/

YAH and AHA were sister cities. YAH ended up only being used for the Entertainment District and the Colosseum since it had food issues all game, while AHA ended up pumping out units after I got the Encampment up and running. Nothing really to report here.

The three Scythian cities. Darth and The Wise didn't do much for me courtesy of almost zero production, but Plagueis provided me with the navy that secured my win. Without getting my three frigates (later battleships) and the ironclad, I wouldn't have been able to secure DataNinja's capital. Nor would I have been prepared for Eurus's entry into the war.

I settled FWD with a captured Dutch settler. Originally it was just in case I needed to keep DataNinja in the game, but then it had three luxuries (and oil but I never made it to plastics until mopping up the AI).

I've previously spoken about how much I like the Mausoleum wonder. KER was founded specifically to make it. Despite the lack of production (I'm seeing here that I should have produced or bought an extra builder or 2), it gave me a safe port to support Peacemaker's Rest with.

I only saved one city from the Maya. WAK had a large population when I took it and was pretty well developed. Barbarian problems kept it from really doing much once I secured it, but it did give a a lot of gold.

As a side note, once I finished the game on my own, WAK was my forward airbase for demolishing Tamar. Turned out she was on an island east of here.

Here is the former Dutch empire. Everything but Ash Nazg Gimbatul was traded to me after I captured a single settler. Still have no clue why the AI did that, but it certainly went a long way towards my eventual victory. All the cities ended up being used to pump out troops to send south.

Here we see my holdings at the end of TheFallenOne's involvement in the war. We actually were relatively well matched in terms of military tech by the time I landed. I lost probably 4-5 troops, including all my Field Cannons, but as he observed, my early snowball set me up too well. By the end I was pulling about 700 GPT and could buy an Infantry every turn. Once I got my three artillery armies supported by both a great general and an observation balloon, it was pretty much over.

And these are my spoils from Eurus. They were a lot better with Indonesia's unique improvement, but they did they job for me. This war came down to my support battleships being in position since I used them to bombard TheFallenOne's intended Petra city. With those already built and close enough to threaten, it made for a little too one-sided of a conflict.

This was the troop distribution in the Roman war once TheFallenOne left. The anti-tank guns were a good idea since I started using tanks to resupply my forces using Rear Base. In fact, as you can see I actually felt like I was starting to spread too thin to sustain the war. But the combination of a military alliance, a Listening Post spy, and the mobile, long range artilleries proved too much in the end.

Here is my troop distribution for the Indonesian war. Four (one died to a sub armada) battleships plus a destroyer to look out for subs proved enough to take the day here.

Finally, I leave you with this. Once it was just me vs. the AI, I finally was able to retake Korea's other captured city. I fulfilled my promise, even if it was to just an AI at that point.

Spoiler: Reflections
    Show
    A couple of things stood out to me in this game.
    First, I still feel rather bad that I killed off two players as part of my archer rush. Illven and Lentrax were unfortunate enough to be my closest neighbors and my first targets. But their sacrifices led directly into my snowball victory.
    Second, as I look at the pictures of my cities, I can tell that I need to get better at improving all the tiles around my cities and optimizing my production. Probably could have taken a turn or two to just pump out some extra builders.
    Third, I think the turning point of the game was when I responded to DataNinja's request for aid. Had TheFallenOne been able to take out Korea, this would be a whole different story. Attached to this was getting Eurus to agree to a declaration of friendship. Like I mentioned upthread, I was concerned that I would face an all-out attack by everyone. Not having to worry about my coasts for about 20 turns let me focus on cleaning up Scythia and the Maya while also sending troops south.

I had fun playing this, though I can certainly understand folks who didn't. Thank you everyone who stuck through the game for as long as you did. May we be friendly in future games.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Was fun enough, but I don't think I'm cut out for multiplayer. I like just tooling around with my empire - I'm not aggressive enough. XD

And that really showed for me. Despite feeling decently fine at the start, what with a decent starting location, three city states nearby - two of which were science - and not a whole lot of barbarians... I started running into problems. First, while my starting area was decent, branching out beyond 4 cities had basically no space. I couldn't send settlers north because of a barbarian camp on the peninsula that was spawning boats, and my production was falling behind.

Only reason that I didn't fall sooner was a double helping of Ray being willing to come to my aid, and Fallen not razing all my buildings so I was able to crank Victor up a bit and keep leaping for a few more techs. It was a desperate scramble, and, honestly, if he'd kept pushing, I probably wouldn't've been able to stand up with his military tech advantage. Hwachas were falling off at that point.

So, yeah. As always, too pacifistic. And hyperfocused on trying to get science and culture going after being woefully behind in all the last games. Alas. I was outplayed, but it's still a bit disappointing after how decent I felt like I was doing.

Definitely Civ'd out by this point, but it was fun playing with some humans for once.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

I did have fun, mostly. Thanks for playing, everyone.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Many thanks for all the updates, much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Many thanks for all the updates, much appreciated!
    I always feel bad that my updates are never as good as what I've seen after the fact that other people put up. Nor as frequent.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Given that no-one in this thread is obliged to make any spectator posts, doing anything is going above and beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."