New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CV

Looks like there's a tie for Bronze so far.
    Empyeal Dragon, think you can edit the last three judgements to show the score by the name like the others?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Empyreal Dragon - Thank you for judging! This was a monumental task this round, and I for one am grateful. On my part I have no disputes. Thanks again!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks for judging, Empyreal!

I, too, would like to know if we're still waiting on a second judge.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2020-10-08 at 07:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for judging Empyreal Dragon. Your efforts as always are greatly appreciated. In the interests of keeping things moving, I will give our chefs 48 hours for any disputes (assuming we are not receiving additional judging, if we are we will obviously extend) after which I will post the reveal and the next round.

Speaking of disputes, here are 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghurg and Gharg
    Thanks for judging Empyreal Dragon. I think that most of what you said about Ghurg and Gharg is fair, but that you underrated their ability as melee brutes.

Both have Pounce, massive Str (counting Ghurg's Whirling Frenzy bonus, they both hit 50 in Primeval Form before items - it seems like you may have only noticed the 30 which they have in natural form), long attack routines (by my count, Ghurg actually tops out at 13 attacks, not 9, if that makes a difference, while Gharg's Pounce routine ends up with 9 attacks counting the two Rakes), and Headlong Rush doubling everything. I would say that both of them have damage output that's comparable to or even better than other builds which received higher scores in Power, seemingly mostly on that basis.

Regarding Gharg in particular, optimized charge damage tends to become overkill past a certain point, and being able to reliably execute a charge ends up mattering more than further bonuses. As things that prevent charging include physical barriers, movement restrictions, and not being able to see the target, having native access to Ethereal Movement, Tactical Teleportation, Freedom of Movement, and True Seeing, will ultimately probably make his damage output more consistent and, practically speaking, likely actually better than that of his peers with similar charging shticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frough-Gee
    Thanks for judging, Empyreal Dragon. While I think that overall Froggy’s scores have been more than fair, I do have a small dispute regarding her “power”.

The power section only mentions swallow whole offense wise, and attributes to Con only defensive value (for HP,(obviously) will saves, and double Con to AC.) While swallow whole is certainly a cherry on top, Froggy's attack routine is based on Con as well as on grapple. A usual standard action is either:

an insightful strike / greater insightful strike, (concentration, based on Con, to damage) with her bite, which has poison (save DC based on con) on top of which come the improved grab+constrict (weight of the mountain stance) + maybe swallow whole, or:

Her breath weapon, doing damage depending on level, the DC of which is based on Con.

Again, the score seems fair enough if that's what you think she deserves. I just wanted to make sure you noted that her attacks are more powerful than described, are entirely based around her pumped Con, and also utilize the poison of the toad and compensate for its single natural attack. It's not just the grapple aspects.

Also, just as an aside, the originality section says she's an arcane hunter, which she isn't. It might be just a copy/paste error, though, and probably isn't a big deal.

Again, thanks for judging!
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Updated table

Name of Dish Stub Primeval Form Score Judge 1 Chef
    Lu'ung, The Dragon's Fury Neutral Evil Human Barbarian 1/Druid 6/Fighter 1/Swordsage 3/Primeval 9 megaraptor 14.5 -
    Derlek, Unwitting Minion of the Great Dreamer NE human undying way monk 2/druidic avenger 5/warshaper 2/nature's warrior 3/primeval 8 giant octopus 13 -
    The Brothers Ghurg and Gharg
    The Twin-Pac Primeval (Ghurg)
    CE Frostblood Orc Ranger 3/Barbarian 5/Warblade 2/Primeval 10 cave ankylosaurus 16 -
    The Twin-Pac Primeval (Gharg)
    CE Frostblood Orc Ranger 3/Swashbuckler 2/Thrall of Jubilex 5/Primeval 10 dire lion 16.5 -
    Primo Valendino Star LG > CE strongheart halfling passive way halfling monk 2/wilderness rogue 3/hellbreaker 8/ primeval 2/stoneblessed 3/fighter 1/wilderness rogue 4 swindlespitter 12.5 -
    Valindra CE Lolth-Touched Anthropomorphic Giant Octopus
    Monstrous Humanoid 2 / Rogue 1 / Fighter 1 / Ranger 4 / Barbarian 1 / Primeval 10
    giant octopus 18 -
    Free CN gully dwarf ranger 5/momf2/birdlord 3/ primeval 10 megaraptor 15 -
    Jakkan Ha'gar CN ghostwise halfling Minion 1/Ranger 3/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/ Warshaper 3/ primeval 10 horrid magebred dire badger 11 -
    Liz NE neraph ranger 5/mortal hunter 3/primeval 10/mortal hunter 5 cave ankylosaurus 17 -
    Frough-Gee NG female wild dwarf dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart). Ranger 1/ Barbarian 4/ fist of the forest 1/ deepwarden 2/ warblade 2/ primeval 10 dire toad 16.5 -
    Ocavo, the Weeping Warrior CN Desert Orc Warblade 6/Binder 4/Giant Octopus Primeval 10 giant octopus 17 -
    Son of Keyrock CE Neanderthal Totemist 7/Soulborn 3/Primeval 10 dire vulture 17.5 -
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Due to disputes I have chosen to reevaluate the frost orc bros. And edited their scores to account for that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Frough-gee, I apologize, arcane hunter was a mistake on my part, I meant it to be wild shape ranger, but either way, I did notice her other capabilities, I just enfolded them under grapple and felt the breath weapon was not enough to improve the score. Due to her limitations, I stand by my judgement. Thank you.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the quick turnaround on those disputes, Empyreal Dragon.

Updated table below.

Name of Dish Stub Primeval Form Score Judge 1 Chef
    Lu'ung, The Dragon's Fury Neutral Evil Human Barbarian 1/Druid 6/Fighter 1/Swordsage 3/Primeval 9 megaraptor 14.5 -
    Derlek, Unwitting Minion of the Great Dreamer NE human undying way monk 2/druidic avenger 5/warshaper 2/nature's warrior 3/primeval 8 giant octopus 13 -
    The Twin-Pac Primeval (Ghurg)
    CE Frostblood Orc Ranger 3/Barbarian 5/Warblade 2/Primeval 10 cave ankylosaurus 16 -
    The Twin-Pac Primeval (Gharg)
    CE Frostblood Orc Ranger 3/Swashbuckler 2/Thrall of Jubilex 5/Primeval 10 dire lion 18.5 -
    Primo Valendino Star LG > CE strongheart halfling passive way halfling monk 2/wilderness rogue 3/hellbreaker 8/ primeval 2/stoneblessed 3/fighter 1/wilderness rogue 4 swindlespitter 12.5 -
    Cephala CE Lolth-Touched Anthropomorphic Giant Octopus
    Monstrous Humanoid 2 / Rogue 1 / Fighter 1 / Ranger 4 / Barbarian 1 / Primeval 10
    giant octopus 18 -
    Free CN gully dwarf ranger 5/momf2/birdlord 3/ primeval 10 megaraptor 15 -
    Jakkan Ha'gar CN ghostwise halfling Minion 1/Ranger 3/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/ Warshaper 3/ primeval 10 horrid magebred dire badger 11 -
    Liz NE neraph ranger 5/mortal hunter 3/primeval 10/mortal hunter 5 cave ankylosaurus 17 -
    Frough-Gee NG female wild dwarf dragonborn of Bahamut (Heart). Ranger 1/ Barbarian 4/ fist of the forest 1/ deepwarden 2/ warblade 2/ primeval 10 dire toad 16.5 -
    Ocavo, the Weeping Warrior CN Desert Orc Warblade 6/Binder 4/Giant Octopus Primeval 10 giant octopus 17 -
    Son of Keyrock CE Neanderthal Totemist 7/Soulborn 3/Primeval 10 dire vulture 17.5 -
    Last edited by Venger; 2020-10-11 at 04:38 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks for the table, Venger.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2020-10-09 at 08:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Apologies for the long judgement. This was a hell of a round, and it taught me some new tricks.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Empyreal Dragon View Post
    Apologies for the long judgement. This was a hell of a round, and it taught me some new tricks.
    This round was tougher to judge than most. On top of all of the books that entries typically use, every single entry had a monster statblock attached to it. And some of the builds expanded the repertoire of monster statblocks significantly.

The thing i liked most about your judgment was your reassessment with the disputes. That layer of the contest gets tricky and emotional, but you handled it superbly, and it's worthy of pointing that out.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

There's no reason for it to be emotional, the dispute is either valid or it isnt. I'm merely a dragon, we make mistakes. And if one is pointed out, we fix it.

Sometimes you can stand by your initial point. Other times the dispute makes you reconsider. Its nothing to get upset about. And they were right, my math was off

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

You are of course right, Empyreal, but I think having your work questioned by strangers can get emotional - and you handled it excellently.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2020-10-09 at 06:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlek
    A comment for Empyreal Dragon’s consideration, on behalf of Derlek:

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough judging, Empyreal dragon. We all appreciate the time and effort involved.

I want to ask about consistency across entries. Particularly Derlek’s scores, though it might apply to others. Particularly on elegance and power.

On Elegance you penalize Derlek for the order of feats and for the whirling frenzy ACF, and for excessive multiclassing. But each of those first two were described as optional (feats only ordered that way for comedic effect, and the idea of whirling tentacles just seems funny). Neither is essential to the build and both, it was noted, can be changed without significant consequence.

And on multiclassing, none of Derlek’s dips were a single level, while many other builds that scored high on elegance included many single-level dips, and some also had as many different classes (or more). You describe the build as well-designed to advantage power the SI. It seems perhaps overly harsh, then, that this build earns the same minimal elegance score as another build with what you describe as “way too much dipping” and “flagrant abuse of rules”.

On power, you don’t seem to give anything but praise for how challenging a combatant Derlek could be. But the rating seems lower than the description seems to suggest you might have intended.

So I’m humbly and respectfully asking whether it might be fair to please check whether the ratings are correct, and consistent between submissions.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Addressing the most recent dispute, after consideration I have chosen to leave the ratings as is.

Part of my judgement was based on the dipping and multiclassing of prestige classes, which I do put a slightly harsher penalty for excessive multiclassing for.

Additionally, I judge writeups as presented, regardless of alternatives given, in keeping with consistency with past judges and with my own prior judgements.

More to the point, primo valedino starchild only received the minimum score because it is, the minimum, and I cannot go below it, elsewise the two dishes would not have received the same score in elegance. The build you used as comparison, the starchild again, did in fact have greater multiclassing than you, and a much less elegant build. But the iron chef challenge presents a minimum score in the category, thus why his rating is on par with your own.

As far as power, while your build was delightfully aggravating to consider as an opponent, I don't believe it to be worth a full 5 star rating, the closest rating to your own recieved an equivalent rank in this score. The ones surpassing you were capable of unbelievable polymorph and wild shape shenanigans, or having a TO level statline.

If my scoring seemed inconsistent I apologize. But on reevaluating the dishes. I believe Derlek is deserving the ratings in power and elegance I gave him for the reasons mentioned above.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CV

Have we ever had a ToB PrC as an ingredient?

Never mind: Bloodstorm Blade

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Have we ever had a ToB PrC as an ingredient?
    We've had Shadow Sun Ninja and Bloodstorm Blade. The other 10 level PrCs are all sorta too good and Eternal Blade especially really restricts entry with its BAB+10 requirement.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. I'm gonna just keep spruiking Dragon Samurai then

It might just be in the "so bad it's bad" category, but I can think of one op tactic to focus around...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Sam has taken the words from my mouth. Eternal Blade is good, and quite hard to enter with its BA requirement. Jade Phoenix Mage and Ruby Knight Vindicator have advancement of spells and maneuvers, so the entry is even narrower.

While we await scores from our second judge, here is one more dispute for you, Empyreal Dragon. Name change is on me, didn't slow down to do it properly and grabbed the name above the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephala
    Cephala is sad that her name was changed to Valindra and that her "near perfect" power rating was only a 4. With a 25 attack routine on the charge or at range and a poison effect regardless of save she was hoping for a 4.5. Also sorry if this dispute was late.
    Awards

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Edited Cephala's name onto the table accordingly.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Thanks. I'm gonna just keep spruiking Dragon Samurai then

It might just be in the "so bad it's bad" category, but I can think of one op tactic to focus around...
    I have a rough, very inelegant idea for Dragon Samurai.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

While you were getting useful class features, Dragon Samurai studied the blade.
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

So, a second judging is surely on its way? That's fantastic!

Also, Dragon Samurai seems sort of... Bland? Boring? Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    So, a second judging is surely on its way? That's fantastic!

Also, Dragon Samurai seems sort of... Bland? Boring? Maybe I'm just not creative enough.
    Dragon samurai is trash.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Dragon samurai is trash.
    Well, clearly. But being boring is worse than being trash, in the context of this endeavour.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Dragon samurai is trash.
    It is, which is why we must face it one day.
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was expecting more wildshape ranger since that seems kinda like the "natural" entry into this class. But then i guess natural can be a downside in this kinda competition.

The only even vaguely interesting ability Dragon Samurai gets is a stackable breath weapon you can use exactly once a day. What else are you going to build around? +4 bonus to charisma checks when talking to dragons? Blind-fight?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    I was expecting more wildshape ranger since that seems kinda like the "natural" entry into this class. But then i guess natural can be a downside in this kinda competition.

The only even vaguely interesting ability Dragon Samurai gets is a stackable breath weapon you can use exactly once a day. What else are you going to build around? +4 bonus to charisma checks when talking to dragons? Blind-fight?
    Vizzini strikes again.

Yes, Dragon Samurai gives you infuriatingly little, which is why we talk about it for IC. We've done some extremely challenging rounds in the past, and chefs have always risen to the occasion.
    Awards

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I allowed to offer a critique on a build?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    Am I allowed to offer a critique on a build?
    It should probably wait until the reveal of the entrants. There's another judge judging, and possibly a round of disputes, and we don't need to muddy the waters of objectivity.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Sam has taken the words from my mouth. Eternal Blade is good, and quite hard to enter with its BA requirement.
    We could always relax the Use of SI portion of the grading, to reflect interesting and skillful use of SI, rather than simply using all of SI.

(When cooking a dish with squid, a skilled and original chef might find a use for the ink. But many excellent dishes would be forgone if one required that the ink be used. )

There seem to be some cool things one could do with classes like Eternal Blade, if one accepted that one might not have to use all 10 levels. Even when its capstone is such an awesomely useful ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian