New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pirates!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Pirates!

i may be showing my age, but did they ever officially end Pirates of Dark Water? Would a reboot of it work today?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates!

I don't think they officially ended it, I think it just got cancelled.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Here's a fairly comprehensive history of the series.

As to a reboot, it doesn't seem very likely. As the early cancellation indicates the whole cross-media marketing push didn't really catch on. Sure, the animated series received some critical acclaim - especially in retrospect - but it's pretty questionable as to whether there's a groundswell of bankable nostalgia for it in the first place and the ambitious nature of the series itself as a D&D-esque epic adventure requires a degree of commitment to fulfilling a story-line that not even the original production was ultimately willing to pay for.

I mean, there are a lot more well-known and successful Hanna-Barbera properties that WB are currently interested in using.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Here's a fairly comprehensive history of the series.

As to a reboot, it doesn't seem very likely. As the early cancellation indicates the whole cross-media marketing push didn't really catch on. Sure, the animated series received some critical acclaim - especially in retrospect - but it's pretty questionable as to whether there's a groundswell of bankable nostalgia for it in the first place and the ambitious nature of the series itself as a D&D-esque epic adventure requires a degree of commitment to fulfilling a story-line that not even the original production was ultimately willing to pay for.

I mean, there are a lot more well-known and successful Hanna-Barbera properties that WB are currently interested in using.
    They could probably bring it back as just an animated series. Most people recall it favorably, and a high seas pirate adventure would probably go over well today
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    They could probably bring it back as just an animated series. Most people recall it favorably, and a high seas pirate adventure would probably go over well today
    Eh, "people" in this case would be adults in their late 30's, and a pretty niche group thereof. Convincing WB to remake a series for today's children who've never heard of it based on a record of being a short-lived and expensive market failure I think would be somewhat difficult.

There are some pretty big names from Hanna-Barbera studios, Dark Water isn't really one of them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This show had a great theme song that I still remember to this day.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Eh, "people" in this case would be adults in their late 30's, and a pretty niche group thereof. Convincing WB to remake a series for today's children who've never heard of it based on a record of being a short-lived and expensive market failure I think would be somewhat difficult.

There are some pretty big names from Hanna-Barbera studios, Dark Water isn't really one of them.
    This falls right between when I was watching children's tv and when I was aiding in raising people who watched children's tv, so I am a perfect miss on brand awareness for this timeframe, yet I know about Animaniacs, Ducktales, Reboot, and all sorts of other 90s animated properties. This one, not so much.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I watched and liked it as a kid, but I don't remember anything about it. I remember the plot of Reboot, like every Batman AS/X Men AS/Spiderman AS episode and Muppets/Fraggle Rock/Power Rangers. So either is was too complicated for kids or it was pretty generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    All I know about is the animated series, so I'm going to agree with this. They're still making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after all, so it isn't like the subject matter is terribly obscure or unpopular.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    All I know about is the animated series, so I'm going to agree with this. They're still making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after all, so it isn't like the subject matter is terribly obscure or unpopular.
    I completely forgot about the month long delays. I think that released today with a bit more time managing it could be looked on as favorable as batman beyond

11. - Top - End - #11

All I really remember is that the main character looked like someone tried to pull his skull apart when he was a kid. The cross between pirate themes and staving off ecological disaster should be an easy sell these days, though.