New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Wizards and Racial Weapon Proficiencies?

Hey there. My question is pretty simple.

I'm currently about to play a Goblin Wizard, with DM permission, in a 2nd edition game after my previous character retired (technically died, but...yeah).

Wizards, according to the PHB, are limited to their selection of weapons. However, Goblins have certain weapons their race is allowed to choose from.

So my question is simple.

Can I, as a Goblin Wizard, choose a weapon from the Goblin list of weapons or am I still restricted to choosing the weapons given to Wizards?

I don't know if there is a rule somewhere that talks about racial weapon choices or not, and if there is I can't find it.

Appreciate the insight, thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wizards and Racial Weapon Proficiencies?

I'm unaware of any official rules regarding wizards and racial weapons. I think your best bet is to state your case to your DM, accept his ruling, and then decide if you still want to play a goblin wizard.

Edit: See Mark Hall's excellent post below.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-09-02 at 08:11 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

RAW, from page 15 of the Complete Humanoids, is

Proficiencies. The entries for weapon and nonweapon proficiencies list each humanoid race's initial selections. Unless the DM approves another proficiency, or a special kit is taken, PCs of a particular humanoid race must selection their initial proficiencies from their lists. ... When a new proficiency slot is gained by level advancement, the new proficiency can be selected from any weapon or group available to the kit or character class.
    So, you MUST start with axe, military pick, morning star, sling, short sword, or spear, btb.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    RAW, from page 15 of the Complete Humanoids, is

So, you MUST start with axe, military pick, morning star, sling, short sword, or spear, btb.
    Yeah, I did read that, and I took it as that being the list they have to choose from, but wasn't sure if it was further limited by class.

For example. Wizard is allowed Dagger, Staff, Knife, Sling, and Dart.

Goblins get to choose from, and must choose from: Axe, Military Pick, Morning Star, Short Sword, Sling, and Spear.

Since Sling is the only weapon between them that is common, I wasn't sure if I was stuck in choosing just the Sling when I initially create them.

If I do have access to the others, that's cool. I guess I'll have to pose it to the DM
    Last edited by Nikushimi; 2020-09-02 at 08:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, unfortunately, they give no further guidance.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's unfortunate. Thanks for the information.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I love the idea of a wizard lugging around a morning star that's too heavy for him, but he was made to carry it by his tribe.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

About standard for AD&D.
    But as it is stated, you have the Proficiency in the chosen weapon, which unless I am completely misremembering, means you can use it as wizard. They are only restricted on armor.
    Clerics on the other hand are restricted to bludgeoning weapons, even if they know how to use sharp and pointy ones.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nikushimi View Post
    Hey there. My question is pretty simple.

I'm currently about to play a Goblin Wizard, with DM permission, in a 2nd edition game after my previous character retired (technically died, but...yeah).

Wizards, according to the PHB, are limited to their selection of weapons. However, Goblins have certain weapons their race is allowed to choose from.

So my question is simple.

Can I, as a Goblin Wizard, choose a weapon from the Goblin list of weapons or am I still restricted to choosing the weapons given to Wizards?

I don't know if there is a rule somewhere that talks about racial weapon choices or not, and if there is I can't find it.

Appreciate the insight, thanks.
    A wizard can only become proficient in weapons that he is allowed to use. You must include slings among your goblin wizard’s weapon proficiencies as his race requires it and the mage class allows it but all further proficiencies must also be weapons allowed for the wizard (which means the character is not allowed to spend proficiencies on any of the other Goblin weapons and the requirement to take them in the Humanoids book should be completely ignored).
    Last edited by Grumm; 2020-09-30 at 08:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'll defer to the group as to what is strict RAW, but it's an edition I always felt free to meddle with and would happily let you pick a non-wizard weapon from the racial list if it was my game. Goblin Wizard is already a tough enough row to hoe.

That said, being forced into sling isn't so bad - it's probably the most sensible weapon out of both lists for you to be using in the first place if you are starting from level 1. You are going to be fragile as all get-out; throw stones and spells from a safe distance and let the rest of the party slug things out.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2020-09-30 at 04:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Slings are one of my favorite weapons, and the only reason most of my wizards do not have it is practicality. 1st level is for daggers, which can be both ranged and melee. 6th level is for staves, since I want to be proficient in my eventual Staff of Power. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The biggest weakness of AD&D is that there are a lot of unanswered questions. The biggest strength of the game is that DMs are expected to make rulings.

This is a question for the DM. Nobody else's opinion will have any effect.

The last game of 2e I ran, the PCs started in an isolated village deep in a haunted forest. I decided that while growing up, everybody was taught to fight, and that there wasn't a lot of flexibility in small village training. So each PC was required to know one of short sword, spear, or short bow. They could also use anything allowed to their class, but they must learn one of those three, and they would be proficient in it. That was a DM ruling for that game, and will never affect any other game.

Ask your DM.