New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1213 - The Discussion Thread

Got treat.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Judging by the "crack" in panel four, we're about to see what's inside Kraagor's statue. Kraagor?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oona's great again.
    Evil, but still great.
    She and Greyview are the best part of Team Evil.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty Shrdlu View Post
    Judging by the "crack" in panel four, we're about to see what's inside Kraagor's statue. Kraagor?
    I've noticed we don't see Kraagor after this. I'm guessing this will be importante...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

That was another excellent post, though I do wonder how Oona is a Shaman(ish being) with so little Wis in addition to Int (given that she should ahve noticed the signs of a spell vanishing etc).

Still, laughed hard, well done!
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Goblin

I lowkey ship Oona and Redcloak.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Good manners are being rewarded!

Despite his jab I think Redcloak appreciates having someone like Oona around. Every sane man needs a cloudcuckoolander.

9. - Top - End - #69

GreataxeFighterGirl

I know opinions on Redcloak have...fluctuated...but I'm still so looking forward to a goblin team-up battle. Don't think the comic has had one since Redcloak and Jirix in the Azure City throne room.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

D&D 3.5ish combat question as it applies to the tag team on Minrah.

a. Greyview chomps and also seems to grab Minrah. (Panel's 6 and 7)
    b. Title of strip is Grab and Smash.

Question: Did Oona's double mace attack get a benefit to hit, and/or to damage, due to Greyview having (apparently) grappled Minrah?

Also, thanks to @QwertyShrdlu for pointing out the red line crack on the statue. I'd not have noticed that but for your mentioning it.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-02 at 11:17 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Good manners are being rewarded!

Despite his jab I think Redcloak appreciates having someone like Oona around. Every sane man needs a cloudcuckoolander.
    I read it very differently - I think he is frowning at her in panel 1 and 3.
    I think he wants people to respect his authority and she doesn't, which leads me to wonder how they were recruited in the first place - and I have to wonder the hand that Xykon played in it.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    D&D 3.5ish combat question as it applies to the tag team on Minrah.

a. Greyview chomps and also seems to grab Minrah. (Panel's 6 and 7)
    b. Title of strip is Grab and Smash.

Question: Did Oona's double mace attack get a benefit to hit, and/or to damage, due to Greyview having (apparently) grappled Minrah?

Also, thanks to @QwertyShrdlu for pointing out the red line crack on the statue. I'd not have noticed that but for your mentioning it.
    I think that was just Greyview tripping her (Worgs are good at that) and Oona hitting her before she hit the ground as a visual item.

As for the red line - I believe those are the statue's glasses.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-09-02 at 11:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Redcloak seems annoyed that Oona is not being what he perceives as serious, which may partly originate from wanting to get this over quickly and partly because he’s been humoring Xykon for way too long and he’s fed up with that sort of behavior in general.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

@danielxcutter
    Redcloak seems annoyed that Oona is not being what he perceives as serious, which may partly originate from wanting to get this over quickly and partly because he’s been humoring Xykon for way too long and he’s fed up with that sort of behavior in general.
    Oona established early on that she marches to the beat of her own drum. (Strips 1037-1039).

As I read it, Xykon's in his own category of annoying for Redcloak for a host of reasons.

-------------------

Aside: I just had a call back to a TV movie from - gah, is it that long?- over 40 years ago (Breaking Away) about bike riders and the University of Indiana, and the local folks referred to as "Cutters" which comes from working in stone quarries.

Did you used to cut stone? I read 'xcutter' as "ex Cutter" as in "someone who once cut stones". I know, it's a reach, but that's what happens now and again, something goes "ding" in my head and I ask oddball questions.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-02 at 11:32 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

14. - Top - End - #74

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I read it very differently - I think he is frowning at her in panel 1 and 3.
    I think he wants people to respect his authority and she doesn't, which leads me to wonder how they were recruited in the first place - and I have to wonder the hand that Xykon played in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Oh he's definitely annoyed, but... in a good way?

What I'm thinking is that compared to the rest of Team Evil she's like a godsent for Redcloak. He hates Xykon with every ounce of his being and MitD is, so far as Redcloak knows, a dim-witted child.

Oona is quirky, but also smart, friendly, helpful and a goblinoid. Basically I imagine that even with people he can get along with Redcloak is a bit of a grump.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    i predict that there will much more discussion of the alignment of Oona on this thread.
    I used to think she was vertically aligned, but after panel three I'm not so sure.

16. - Top - End - #76

GreataxeFighterGirl

Oh he's definitely annoyed, but... in a good way?

What I'm thinking is that compared to the rest of Team Evil she's like a godsent for Redcloak. He hates Xykon with every ounce of his being and MitD is, so far as Redcloak knows, a dim-witted child.

Oona is quirky, but also smart, friendly, helpful and a goblinoid. Basically I imagine that even with people he can get along with Redcloak is a bit of a grump.
    She even gives him head rubs!

17. - Top - End - #77

PaladinGuy

I've got Oona pegged at Neutral Evil now, though she's a polite and cheery Neutral Evil. I think that if you admit that you have serious questions about who you are being asked to kill and why, but you go ahead anyway because an ally (who avoided directly answering your question) asked nicely and you can't think of a reason not to kill people you don't know anything about, then your outlook is essentially evil.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I've got Oona pegged at Neutral Evil now, though she's a polite and cheery Neutral Evil. I think that if you admit that you have serious questions about who you are being asked to kill and why, but you go ahead anyway because an ally (who avoided directly answering your question) asked nicely and you can't think of a reason not to kill people you don't know anything about, then your outlook is essentially evil.
    These aren't random strangers. They are dwarves (racial enemies who pushed them into this barren and cold region) who invaded their territory. Also, RC is an ally of sorts. Why not help?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Kinda like me some days, particularly when the coffee is a surprise pot of decaf at work.
    I am afraid of starting an alignment furball here - please let's not - but within the context of D&Disms simply killing is not inherently evil. That's why I am down for neutral, and also because these are intruders to her village.

20. - Top - End - #80

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    These aren't random strangers. They are dwarves (racial enemies who pushed them into this barren and cold region) who invaded their territory. Also, RC is an ally of sorts. Why not help?
    That argues that Oona is partially motivated by racism, which would also be essentially an evil outlook.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Invaded my hairy butt, Durkon came to negotiate and Redcloak broke the truce.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

That argues that Oona is partially motivated by racism
    Facepalm. OK, I'm outta this conversation.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Invaded my hairy butt, Durkon came to negotiate and Redcloak broke the truce.
    Technically you are still invading whether you come to negotiate or not - for instance you get home from work and a stranger is in your house seeking to negotiate with you about something, they have still invaded - you might listen to them but that doesn't change the base line reality that they should have called ahead and meet you in a neutral location if you were willing to speak to them, not showed up in your territory without invitation.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically you are still invading whether you come to negotiate or not - for instance you get home from work and a stranger is in your house seeking to negotiate with you about something, they have still invaded - you might listen to them but that doesn't change the base line reality that they should have called ahead and meet you in a neutral location if you were willing to speak to them, not showed up in your territory without invitation.
    Home invasion and trespassing are not the same thing. At most, Durkon and Minrah were trespassing - but do note they weren't actually in anyone's home.
    ungelic is us

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

They're not even in the village proper.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #86

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Home invasion and trespassing are not the same thing.
    It was an example - if the person is in your garden or your forest or whatever they are still invading your territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They're not even in the village proper.
    I suspect that they Bugbear's regard the whole of monster hollow and the village and a fair bit around as their territory.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-09-02 at 12:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

PaladinGuy

Well, the "good" action when confronted with a racial enemy in your territory would be to find out who they are and why they are in your territory, and only use force if they won't leave when you don't accept their reasons or if they are actively hostile.
    The "neutral" action would be to forcibly escort them out and use lethal force only if they resist, and you may or may not give them a chance to explain their presence afterwards.
    The "evil" action is to try to just kill them because they are your racial enemies, without giving them a chance to explain their presence or caring much if they have trespassed.

Oona gets a little wiggle room because it's not clear what she saw. If she came back and saw a fight already going on between her ally and racial enemies then she might even be classed as "good" for attacking immediately to defend her ally, but we know she didn't intervene immediately. If she saw Red Cloak talking with an unarmed Durkon peacefully and then attacking him, then she is at best "neutral" and probably "evil" in attacking with intent to kill without further explanation.

Edit: Note also that Oona was present when Durkon first showed up. She may have left and come back, or she may have stayed and seen the whole debate, though she may not have understood it (does she speak Common?).
    Last edited by Jason; 2020-09-02 at 12:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

"Big faces are getting big maces!"
    It sounds... painful...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

It was an example - if the person is in your garden or your forest or whatever they are still invading your territory.
    In a colloquila sense, maybe. But someone showing up unarmed, making their presence known immediately and asking to parley is very much not an invasion.
    Forum Wisdom