New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: I think the Alien franchise would lend itself well to a TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Pretty easy depending on setting. A single alien, people stuck with it inside a space station for a season. Pick up ques from Walking Dead; the Alien is an environmental threat, the real issue is the humans are having group conflicts and killing each other. Instead of working together to kill the monster they are focused on their political/resource issues, so the monster picks people off one by one.
    This, but also you get to explore a few layers that Walking Dead couldn't - in Alien, government is ineffective not because it has totally collapsed, but because it was eroded into irrelevance by hypercapitalist corporations before the xenomorphs even showed up. Where Walking Dead devolved into a repetitive cycle of "ragtag group stumbles into safe community/stronghold area, makes enemies of nearby charismatic yet sociopathic warlord, tensions escalate until stronghold/community is no longer viable and walkers chase them to the next area" with no endpoint in sight, an Alien series would have a built-in overarching villain (e.g. the corporation itself, perhaps with a corrupt executive or division head as the face of our heroes' suffering, or - as was the case in Alien Isolation - acting through a near-omnipotent AI with no regard for human life) with several endpoints we can build towards - such as causing them to cut their losses, pin everything on said executive/AI while otherwise getting away with it all, collapse entirely, or even reform. The AI itself could also be a wild card faction could side with or against the heroes in a believable way on occasion.

From a purely practical standpoint, it would also be easier on the cast since you can have some technology around to explain convenient things like how they can shower, brush their teeth, have sex, treat injuries and illness, raise families etc. You could still have dangerous "supply runs" into infested territory like Walking Dead does, and overarching goals for the heroes besides mere survival like "repair the comms array" or "gather evidence to take down the corporation."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    I also recommend the novel Alien: The Cold Forge, by Alex White.
    I've got an audible account and just noticed the audiobook for this (and a few of other Alien books and audio dramas) were free for members right now. Based on the recommendation I'll give it a listen, thanks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I think Alien: Isolation worked because it was the most logical format for the material it was adapting. Which feels like a silly point, but how many Alien FPSs are there? Then there was that Alien Contra-esque game, and who could forget that Beat'em'up Capcom made. In any case, you're not supposed to kill Xenomorphs like they're Zerglings as it's at complete odds with what makes Alien what it is, but games never got that memo.

That said, Isolation was well made beyond the novelty of its existence... but I'd question the logic of adapting it when you'll just have something we've seen before but now without the immersion and sense of agency.

Still, as to a possible show, having more time to pace things out and give you a genuine chance to know your characters could make for a stronger and more satisfactory story. The problem is my general lack of trust. Even Scott couldn't return to Alien and renew the sense that it was franchise was worth maintaining past 1986.
    Alien FPS I can think of: Alien Trilogy, Aliens vs Predator, Aliens vs Predator 2, Alien vs Predator 2011, Aliens: Colonial Marines (BOOOOOH).

If anyone is interested, there is an (imo terrible, but ymmv) official adaptation of Isolation to webseries.

And there also is a fan-made short live-action movie (or very short series) I really like, Alien: Infestation. Especially the first part, I think, handles things really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).