New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dark One's Might?

Why do you guys think Redcloak has never used his own version of Thor's Might?
    I drank some stuff from a drain and it drove me insane.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark One's Might?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wozniak View Post
    Why do you guys think Redcloak has never used his own version of Thor's Might?
    Maybe the Dark One doesn't have that spell? Also, Recloak is more of a cast spell at them from far away type.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That spell is designed for buffing in males and Redcloak is a caster only cleric.

4. - Top - End - #4

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    That spell is designed for buffing in males and Redcloak is a caster only cleric.
    I'm assuming this was a typo, but I still cracked up so bad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Is it a substitute for weight lifting or steroids?

(Melee rather than male?)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Is it a substitute for weight lifting or steroids?

(Melee rather than male?)
    haha yes that was supposed to be melee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As CriticalFailure said, Redcloak is more of a caster type than a melee type. He doesn't even carry a weapon, and it was uncertain that he was wearing armor until the last art upgrade.

Slay Living or Flame Strike are the same level than Righteous Might, and more useful to a non-combatant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    As CriticalFailure said, Redcloak is more of a caster type than a melee type. He doesn't even carry a weapon, and it was uncertain that he was wearing armor until the last art upgrade.
    I said he was back in SoD.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Redcloak is every bit as capable of fighting in melee as Durkon, since every cleric is going to be more or less mechanically identical even if they're completely different people serving completely different deities. Durkon's natural strength and constitution score are likely higher, I suppose. But either way, Redcloak is indeed depicted as unwilling to mix it up in direct combat.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-03 at 04:26 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Redcloak is every bit as capable of fighting in melee as Durkon, since every cleric is going to be more or less mechanically identical even if they're completely different people serving completely different deities. But Redcloak is indeed depicted as unwilling to mix it up in direct combat.
    He has unknown armour, no shield, no weapon - Durkon might have the edge in melee, particularly if Durkon's strength and constitution are higher and if he has magic items or feats geared to assist in melee combat.

11. - Top - End - #11

Dark One's Blight, which does the exact opposite (weaken a foe), would seem like a more appropriate mirror.

Also, Durkon's got a bonus to con, medium-sized damage dice, while Redcloak's got a penalty to str and small-sized damage dice. Plus, you know, no shield nor weapon. Even assuming they had the same base stats (they almost certainly did not), Redcloak's at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to melee.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Also, Durkon's got a bonus to con, medium-sized damage dice, while Redcloak's got a penalty to str and small-sized damage dice.
    Rich made goblins medium sized in OoTS. Not sure the small sized is correct.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Redcloak is every bit as capable of fighting in melee as Durkon, since every cleric is going to be more or less mechanically identical even if they're completely different people serving completely different deities. Durkon's natural strength and constitution score are likely higher, I suppose. But either way, Redcloak is indeed depicted as unwilling to mix it up in direct combat.
    Nah, stats should be different for melee/non melee clerics. It’s likely Redcloak’s physical stats are pretty mediocre and lower than Durkon’s.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Redcloak doesn't fight in the melee and therefore has no need for such barbaric spells.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Rich made goblins medium sized in OoTS. Not sure the small sized is correct.
    Visually. I think that's purely an artistic decision, though, and not actual in-universe thing. For example, when Durkon made the table, /Redcloak/ said it was too high for him, while Durkon was quite fine, despite Redcloak being drawn much taller than Durkon. As far as I can remember, other in-world dialogue cues seem to suggest that goblins are indeed "small".
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Visually. I think that's purely an artistic decision, though, and not actual in-universe thing. For example, when Durkon made the table, /Redcloak/ said it was too high for him, while Durkon was quite fine, despite Redcloak being drawn much taller than Durkon. As far as I can remember, other in-world dialogue cues seem to suggest that goblins are indeed "small".
    Redcloak said that the chair was too high for him, not the table. This was because Durkon made the chairs an appropriate height for himself, which made them too tall for Redcloak.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

For example, when Durkon made the table, /Redcloak/ said it was too high for him, while Durkon was quite fine, despite Redcloak being drawn much taller than Durkon.
    "Despite"? The chair was too high for Redcloak because Redcloak is much taller than Durkon.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

He knows the roaches would make a Green Lantern joke about "beware his power" if he did, and he just doesn't want to put up with that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Visually. I think that's purely an artistic decision,
    Not so sure about that, but I have not the time to dig through his commentary in various books yet again. I am sure he posted something about this on the forum ages ago ..

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "Despite"? The chair was too high for Redcloak because Redcloak is much taller than Durkon.
    Small chairs are uncomfortable, you get your knees in your face. Have you never tried a kid's chair? Similarly, I tend to prefer when my feet touch the ground, rather than super tall chairs where my feel dangle in the air.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Small chairs are uncomfortable, you get your knees in your face. Have you never tried a kid's chair? Similarly, I tend to prefer when my feet touch the ground, rather than super tall chairs where my feel dangle in the air.
    There's a table. Too high means the legs may not fit at all.

Also, why are you talking about too small chairs? That wasn't Reddy's issue.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-05 at 09:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Redcloak is a speciality priest not a cleric (my explanation)
    Also the Dark One seems to have been a warlord but not necessarily a warrior.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There's a table. Too high means the legs may not fit at all.

Also, why are you talking about too small chairs? That wasn't Reddy's issue.
    Dwarves are short, not small. Why would a chair be fine for a dwarf but "too high" for a thinner medium-sized creature? You need some leg space between the chair and the table.

Feels like we're overthinking this whole chair thing though.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Because medium covers a range
    It’s like at my work - the work stations are designed for a standard height but that means too high for some and too small for others
    And the range for even bigger size categories is far worse
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Dwarves are short, not small. Why would a chair be fine for a dwarf but "too high" for a thinner medium-sized creature? You need some leg space between the chair and the table.

Essentially a bar stool is fine for most people, a normal chair is fine for most people - but half way between them is annoying.

The Giant likely had Redcloak do it because it showed he was willing to deal and spend a spell slot to show it - but in universe it might just be that Redcloak likes a seat as a certain height.

26. - Top - End - #26

I have a child. My child is shorter than I am. The chairs for my child, because my child is shorter than I am, are taller than the chairs for me.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gosh, people, I know you all love to discuss for the sake of discussion, but in the previous strip to the stool one it's perfectly clear that Redcloak is taller than Durkon.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-09-05 at 09:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sesharan View Post
    He knows the roaches would make a Green Lantern joke about "beware his power" if he did, and he just doesn't want to put up with that.
    He'll be happy to know that Dark Lord Jirix got rid of the roaches for him then.