New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Why do TVs get input lag from computers, but not from consoles?

Most of the justification I've heard on this usually involve describing the PC as having a higher FPS (so the input lag is more noticable), or the TV recognizing the console as a console and implementing a "Gaming Mode" to cut down on any input lag, but those are things I'd expect from very minuscule levels of lag.

I've experienced a half-second difference with one of my TVs that doesn't happen while I'm playing on a console, while using the TV's so-called "Gaming Mode". But it also seems specific to each TV, as a different TV I've used has significantly less lag than the other when using the PC!

Most attempts to research this have come up empty, and don't really explain why it's both TV and input-specific.

Does anyone have an answer for this?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-09-02 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Why do TVs get input lag from computers, but not from consoles?

Never played Guitar Hero or Rock Band at a competitive level, I assume?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Are you talking about the speed a frame in the game appears on the TV versus a computer monitor?

What's the refresh rate of the devices?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Are you talking about the speed a frame in the game appears on the TV versus a computer monitor?

What's the refresh rate of the devices?
    Not sure on the refresh rate of my TV, but yes, as you've described.

Move the mouse over to the right on the computer, the connected TV does the same half a second later. It does this whether or not the monitor for the computer is turned off, and there's no delay when using something like a PS4 on the same TV.

Logic would assume it's something going on with the computer's side of things, as it doesn't really make sense why a console would be functioning so much better if the TV was inherently slow to get input, but I'm not sure what the cause would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I'm not sure what the cause would be.
    Okay, one of the things to try is - go into the video settings of the PC game. See if you can drop the refresh rate to about 30fps.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone have an answer for this?
    As sihnfahl said, see if you can reduce the frame rate in the game to 30fps.

This is because most consoles are capped to 30fps, so matching that should reduce or eliminate the lag.

It's odd as most TVs these days are capped to around 60fps and even older TVs should be able to handle it (old analogue TV signals were either 60hz for NTSC or 55hz for PAL and whatever numbers out of a hat that SECAM used) although at a resolution of 640x480.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alternatively, look in your TV settings for something like "Game Mode" and set it on the input where your PC is connected, if possible.

A lot of TVs do some image correction, and with their relatively miniscule CPUs that takes time. I don't know the HDMI protocol by heart, but could be that the PS4 sends a "low latency, disable all that BS please" signal, and your PC doesn't, so you'll have to switch manually?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Input lag comes from conversion of some sort. It is most famous with analog sources such as older consoles, which both have to be converted to digital and then upscaled to whatever the TV's native resolution is. Already-digital sources in HD are likely to have less issues, but there's various "enhancement" effects that TV manufacturers like to add that can induce lag, such as motion smoothing or automatic light leveling. This is fine for non-interactive media because you'll never notice that you're getting the picture a half second slower. In addition to trying to activate Game Mode, go through your Advanced options and disable anything you don't understand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

As mentioned above, it can be caused due to massively different Pics per second settings.

Also, how are you connecting your TV?
    If its via HDMI, be sure that the PC and the TV have the same gen of HDMI, that often causes problems, and dont use any type of adapter (some do in adapter conversions, thats the only thing I can think of outside an ancient tv to cause half a second lags reproducably).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

that doesn't happen while I'm playing on a console, while using the TV's so-called "Gaming Mode".
    So you use gaming mode for the console and not also for the PC? If so there's your answer