Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Gender
    Male

    smile Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    What is your closest call in a TTRPG?

    That is, whats a memory you have where you, your party or an ally came so close to losing it all but be it through tactics, rolls, luck, or that one ability you had been saving that you recovered?

    For me, it was during a one-shot community game we did for Suzerain in the Wilderlands campaign. I was using one of our pre-made characters ‘Pretty Boy’ who was a great marksman but had his fair share of hindrances. While being attacked by huge monstrous wasps, one of my party members was close to pushing up the daisies. We kept missing and missing and missing and then boom, straight shot, aced and with a raise narrowly avoiding my teammate as he swatted away the wasps and I blasted those bugs. Perhaps not the end of the world scenario but it was a great experience after so many failures to then bring it all back around.

    Last edited by C-Moon; 2020-09-02 at 07:01 PM.
    -Ciaran


    Savage Mojo

    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

    Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    Playing Ars Magica I was playing an overconfident wizard who loved to fly around. He annoyed another wizard who lightning bolted him.
    Lightning bolt is brutal (d10+35 damage - every 5 points is a wound, 5 wounds is fatal, each wound past the first pretty messes you up. roll stamina (2)+d10 to reduce the damage (so I needed to roll 9 just to live). But if you roll a 1 you roll again and double. So I rolled 36 on 1d10 and shrugged off a spell which should have killed me outright, flew in to tackle the enemy wizard and cut my fly spell and stopping him from controlling his. As we plummeted toward the ground I let go at the last possible second and fastcast a fly spell to avoid becoming geography while my foe became a minor terrain feature.
    He was the sort of character I can only play properly when I already have my next character ready to go
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Gender
    Male

    biggrin Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Playing Ars Magica I was playing an overconfident wizard who loved to fly around. He annoyed another wizard who lightning bolted him.
    Lightning bolt is brutal (d10+35 damage - every 5 points is a wound, 5 wounds is fatal, each wound past the first pretty messes you up. roll stamina (2)+d10 to reduce the damage (so I needed to roll 9 just to live). But if you roll a 1 you roll again and double. So I rolled 36 on 1d10 and shrugged off a spell which should have killed me outright, flew in to tackle the enemy wizard and cut my fly spell and stopping him from controlling his. As we plummeted toward the ground I let go at the last possible second and fastcast a fly spell to avoid becoming geography while my foe became a minor terrain feature.
    He was the sort of character I can only play properly when I already have my next character ready to go
    Oh wow, now that is a close call. Playing that scenario in Suzerain I would definitely of poured out all my Karma to prevent becoming an arcane pancake
    -Ciaran


    Savage Mojo

    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

    Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    I don't remember the exact numbers, so this is likely a little off, but this should get the point across.
    In a Call of Cthulhu game that I ran one of the characters had I think 8 Sanity points left going into our last session. He managed to still pass his first sanity roll (8% chance)so lost 1d4 sanity instead of 1d10 and went down to six. Later in the night he rolled another sanity check, failed and had to take 1d12 sanity damage, rolled a 3, leaving him with 3 sanity left out of his original 45~ from the start of the campaign. If he had hit 0 at any point in that last session things would have gone very bad for everyone involved very quickly.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    I was the GM for this, not a player, but...

    It was 5e D&D. The campaign's villain was a revenant--a type of vengeance-obsessed undead that reappears a day later if it's destroyed before accomplishing its goal. He confronted the party head-on, for the first time, by building a gallows on the path they were going to take and literally hanging himself while waiting for them. Anyway, they showed up, he opened his eyes, confrontation happened, and he wound up with one hit point left, surrounded by angry PCs.

    So he casts a Fireball at his own feet.

    The villain evaporates, and bunch of crappy Dex saves come up, and the entire party goes down. Literally the entire five-person group was down and making death saves.

    The Cleric has his turn next and rolls a natural 20 on his save. In a spirit of generosity and "oh ****, I didn't mean to do that," I rule that he wakes up with one hit point. He's too low-level to have any mass healing spells, though, and he's mostly out of spell slots in any case-- he's only going to be able to stabilize one person per turn. Cue a few very tense rounds of Spare the Dying, during which two separate players wound up one failed save away from death.

    I think that's the closest I've ever seen to a TPK.

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I was the GM for this, not a player, but...

    It was 5e D&D. The campaign's villain was a revenant--a type of vengeance-obsessed undead that reappears a day later if it's destroyed before accomplishing its goal. He confronted the party head-on, for the first time, by building a gallows on the path they were going to take and literally hanging himself while waiting for them. Anyway, they showed up, he opened his eyes, confrontation happened, and he wound up with one hit point left, surrounded by angry PCs.

    So he casts a Fireball at his own feet.

    The villain evaporates, and bunch of crappy Dex saves come up, and the entire party goes down. Literally the entire five-person group was down and making death saves.

    The Cleric has his turn next and rolls a natural 20 on his save. In a spirit of generosity and "oh ****, I didn't mean to do that," I rule that he wakes up with one hit point. He's too low-level to have any mass healing spells, though, and he's mostly out of spell slots in any case-- he's only going to be able to stabilize one person per turn. Cue a few very tense rounds of Spare the Dying, during which two separate players wound up one failed save away from death.

    I think that's the closest I've ever seen to a TPK.
    Oh lord that is terrifying to think of as both a GM and a player :')
    -Ciaran


    Savage Mojo

    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

    Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I was the GM for this, not a player, but...

    It was 5e D&D. The campaign's villain was a revenant--a type of vengeance-obsessed undead that reappears a day later if it's destroyed before accomplishing its goal. He confronted the party head-on, for the first time, by building a gallows on the path they were going to take and literally hanging himself while waiting for them. Anyway, they showed up, he opened his eyes, confrontation happened, and he wound up with one hit point left, surrounded by angry PCs.

    So he casts a Fireball at his own feet.

    The villain evaporates, and bunch of crappy Dex saves come up, and the entire party goes down. Literally the entire five-person group was down and making death saves.

    The Cleric has his turn next and rolls a natural 20 on his save. In a spirit of generosity and "oh ****, I didn't mean to do that," I rule that he wakes up with one hit point. He's too low-level to have any mass healing spells, though, and he's mostly out of spell slots in any case-- he's only going to be able to stabilize one person per turn. Cue a few very tense rounds of Spare the Dying, during which two separate players wound up one failed save away from death.

    I think that's the closest I've ever seen to a TPK.
    Hahah aw man, still sounds like a rad session either way!
    -Ciaran


    Savage Mojo

    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

    Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Closest Call In A TTRPG?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    I don't remember the exact numbers, so this is likely a little off, but this should get the point across.
    In a Call of Cthulhu game that I ran one of the characters had I think 8 Sanity points left going into our last session. He managed to still pass his first sanity roll (8% chance)so lost 1d4 sanity instead of 1d10 and went down to six. Later in the night he rolled another sanity check, failed and had to take 1d12 sanity damage, rolled a 3, leaving him with 3 sanity left out of his original 45~ from the start of the campaign. If he had hit 0 at any point in that last session things would have gone very bad for everyone involved very quickly.
    That's a Very Cthulhu experience!
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •