New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Karl's feeding leaves the boy completely unconsciouss, his breathing labored, and his heart racing. The vampire had lived long enough to know that this thug would survive this, thought he'd likely feel awful for the next few days.

(OOC: Karl is up to 9 vitae)

Gabe looks down on the body Karl has dragged out, his eyes flashing with equal parts judgement and envy at his master.

Staring at the lip and defenseless youth that Karl has dragged out, all Anna can see if a foe that deserves to be punished, deserved to be ripped to shreds. Images flash through her mind, imaging how badly abused and misused her cousin has been. Anna can barely control her shaking hands, which don't tremble like a scared mortal's might, but seem to crawl and leap between her own control and the Beast's desire for revenge and violence.

And yet, with every trip back and forth Karl makes, every delay in their plans, dawn approaches.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-09-04 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Anna Wu

Anna looked down at the gang member. She knew she should probably take this body and load it into her trunk immediately, take it away and trust Karl to call the police...

But she wanted to see her cousin for herself, even though she knew she risked screwing everything up, that didn't matter. These were scum of the earth gang members anyway, selling drugs to kids and killing indiscriminately.

Her sword moved almost of its own accord, the cold steel stopping to rest against the unconscious man's carotid; she could feel the pulse of his heart through the blade as she contemplated how easy it would be to flick her wrist and watch his blood gush onto the ground.

She glanced up at Gabe.

"Tell me what you're thinking now," she said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-04 at 09:49 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl does not move to interfere, but says slowly, "I know you want to kill this one, and I do not blame you in the slightest. I had hoped to get some information out of him before he dies, but as far as I'm concerned if you want his life then it is yours. Drain him dry here and now, make his death more interesting later, let me dispose of him after a painful interrogation, whatever you wish. All I ask is that you do not contaminate this crime scene. If his blood is spilled here, then we will not be able to fully hide our presence here."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-09-04 at 10:41 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Seeing that Karl has spoken for him, Gabe does not open his mouth. He simply nods towards his master in a sort-of deferring bow, a cold look on his face.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seeing that Karl sighs, "Go ahead and speak up Gabe. If you are going to be our equal, then you don't need me answering questions for you."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I agree with you Karl," Gabe says flatly, his face hard and lined and haggard. "It's unnecessary, and callous, and possibly even inhuman," he continues, "but the bigger issue is just that whole Masquerade thing. People don't get chopped up by swords anymore, and it will bring more scrutiny on everything we do here tonight." Finished, Gabe crosses his arms over his chest, his gaze moving from Anna to Karl, trying to judge their response.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Anna slowly sheathed the sword, forcing the Beast down. Patience.

She would kill or scatter all of them eventually...

Edit: “alright,” Anna said, “alright, but she’d better be alive tomorrow night.”

“Where are we interrogating him? I will drive there now, with Gabe to watch over him when the sun comes,” she said, holstering her pistol.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-06 at 09:24 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl thinks for a moment, then says, "Lets go ahead and take him back to the coterie haven, that way Bernado can take over most of the watch and we can both simply stay there, Gabe here has already been up all night."

"But wait for me just a bit near that warehouse I mentioned. I'll start shooting at"
    He looks at his watch and gives a time five minutes from now, "And then I'll start running your way. Obfuscate will ensure I go unnoticed."

Karl puts on gloves, he might not leave fingerprints of his own, but what was left of his finger ridges might leave patterns in someone else's. He takes the gun from the unconscious thug and carefully gets the man's hands all over the weapon, just to be safe.

As the others leave, he heads back inside and spends his remaining time double checking the scene for any problems that might crop up when CSI canvassed the place. There probably were not functional cameras in a place MS13 handled their dirty business, but he looks for them regardless. He also checks for anything that might cause a ricochet threatening Katie, and adjusts where he will fire from accordingly to avoid any such risk.

As the allotted time approaches, he takes aim. After a moment's consideration he significantly loosens his firing stance and thinks of it being Fred chained up and bloodied. Poor firing discipline and a bit of anger would likely help sell the scene.

Karl reminds himself that this thug had condemned himself with his actions. In as many things as his own people had gotten wrong, he still considered this society as far too soft in many ways. Death was the appropriate punishment for this one and others like him. With that thought, he pulls the trigger, and keeps firing at a rapid pace, letting the barrel of the gun jerk around a lot more than he would normally allow. When the slide locks open and the gun is empty, Karl runs out the door, dropping the gun and leaving it behind.

Still invisible to the world, the thin Mekhet moves at a fast loping pace down the street, heading straight for the rendezvous.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Okay, don’t forget to call the cops,” Anna said, dragging the unconscious form of the gang member to her car. She made for the haven, using the dawn to distract the Beast... she still needed to move the gang member when she got there.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-07 at 06:02 PM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The shots from Karl's borrowed pistol ring out in the garage, drowning out the radio's music. Each shot strikes the boy, twisting his helpless body this way and that. He is thrown out of his chair, collapsing in a heap on his front such that Karl's last few shots strike him in the back of the chest and spine. The air is filled with the acrid stench of gunpowder and the faint sweet aroma of aerosolized blood.

(OOC: Karl commits an impassioned murder and must take a 2 dice breaking point. He can add his Touchstone bonus)

Karl's gunshots wake Katie, who in frantic panic at the sounds of gunfire and the scene of vicious carnage immediately panics. She begins to shriek and scream, kicking and struggling to her feet and fighting the bonds that hold her to the pole.

(OOC: Sorry everyone for the delay in reply)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-09-09 at 09:57 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Anna hummed a mindless tune loudly as she shoved the gang member into her car, attempting to drown out the sounds from inside the building. She all but jumped into the car and slammed the door, starting the engine and accelerating away, hoping she was making the right choice by leaving her cousin in Karl’s hands.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The boy was completely out, all dead weight and sweat slick skin as Anna shoved him into her car. He was collapsed in the back seat and breathing heavily. Whatever Karl had done had really put the kid out, and Anna could make an educated guess he had probably fed on the young MS-13 member.

(OOC: Is Gabe coming with Anna? Waiting on Karl to reply as well)
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Trusting obfuscate to hide his presence from Katie, Karl doesn't say a word to her. She'll be confused and frightened for a good while, but there wasn't much he could do about that without compromising the story he was trying to sell.

As he heads out, loping his way towards where Gabe was waiting, he keeps an eye out for any attention drawn to the scene, if he was lucky he wouldn't have to call the police himself.

If he doesn't see much, he'll make the call on a burner phone. Either way, as soon as he gets to the car he'll jump in and they'll head off towards the Haven.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-09-09 at 10:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Karl comes out, and after he has finally dropped his Obfuscation, the Ghoul says in hurried but flat speech, "Finally. Let's get out of here. I called the cops already. So far no one's stirred, but I don't want to wait around here till someone comes to check things out. Let's go." He leads Karl back to the car, closing the door hastily behind him once he's in.

Later, Karl and Gabe pull up to the Sea Cliff Haven, where Anna had only pulled in a few moments earlier. The exterior has been completely remade. The first floor store front windows have been replaced with more secure modern paneling, and the entire exterior has been designed to be more sun proof. There are no lights on in the haven, though it was likely was already asleep in the attic at this hour, and hopefully Bernardo was well rested by this point.

Dawn was probably no more then ten to fifteen minutes away, and Anna and Karl could feel the heavy lethargy brought on by the approaching sun. The blood was moving slower in their bodies, struggling to keep them animated, even as the air seemed to be growing preternaturally hot. It was like they were standing in an oven that was had been set to 600 degrees and was quickly getting up to temperature. The fine hairs on their arms and necks were up on end, and if they were mortal Anna and Karl would both be covered in sweat by now.

As they moved him from the back of Anna's car, the youth was beginning to wake. He was looking around blearily at Anna, Karl and Gabe, asking things like, "What's going on," and, "Who are you guys? Let me go." He was struggling a little, but was still weak from the theft of his blood.

(OOC: Hope you guys are okay with me skipping the part where Anna waited for Karl to pull up at the warehouse, only to then go to the haven. It didn't seem like there was any plan for interaction then)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-09-10 at 12:36 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Anna, practiced from her former job as a police officer, cuffed the youth and frisked him, taking his phone if he still had it and turning it off. She also turned off Katie’s phone, no need to have her cousin somehow track it down.

She ignored the gang member, and, with limited time, covered his mouth with duct tape. Once inside, she cuffed him around a support beam, someplace out of sight and sturdy enough he wouldn’t be able to break free.

“You stay here for a while now,” Anna said, patting him on the head “we’ll have some questions for you later.”

She headed up towards her room but paused to give some instructions first to Bernardo (assuming he’s there).

“He’s dangerous. Don’t uncuff him for anything,” she said, “he kidnapped and roughed up my cousin, so he’d better be right where I left him tomorrow evening.”
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl practically drags himself through the door. He says to no one in particular, "Someone get a gag on the bastard. Knock him out again if you have to, it should be pretty easy in his state. Gabe, you know what to do."

If there is nothing else, the old man shambles off to find a safe spot to collapse in.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-09-10 at 03:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"****," Gabe grumbles, "I'm pretty much as tired as you." This is clearly not in protest, and Gabe begins readying a gag.

Bernardo is not initially in the room, but the commotion as the three drag the now rousing boy into the room brings him down the stairs. By the time Bernardo arrives, the gangster is kicking and screaming; shouting what sound like death threats in Spanish. Anna handcuffs him to one of the four support beams on the empty first floor, and Gabe helps to dampen the boy's screams with a roll of duct tape.

The sight of the captured Hispanic boy is clearly a confusing if not upsetting sight to the young Ghoul. "What are you doing?" Bernardo screams, rushing down the stairs once he has taken everything in. "Who is he? You can't do this to him! Why?" Bernardo was not actively stopping Anna, Karl and Gabe, but he was clearly upset. The boy's fists were balled and his eyes were wide, a mix of anger and desperate pleading on his face.

Presumably, somewhere upstairs was Aisling, already in a torpid state of slumber.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"He killed his 'hombre', his fingerprints are all over the murder weapon," Anna said, looking at the gang member, "the cops are looking for him right now. We're keeping him here because as soon as he sets foot out of this place, he's going away for life for murder one, that's _if_ Spooky doesn't find him first."

She turned to Bernardo and all but dragged him upstairs by the arm.

"Not here," she whispered as they exited. Once out of the basement she closed the door.

"This is a member of a Mexican cartel that sells crack to kids, among a whole bunch of other nasty things," Anna said quietly, not in any kind of mood to argue with Bernardo, "he and his boys kidnapped my cousin. My mortal cousin, a college student, and were planning on killing her, but not before passing her around a few times. Or maybe they weren't going to kill her and they were just going to traffick her to Mexico to force her into prostitution. Now I'm going to find out everything he knows about his organization because who knows how many other girls they've done the same thing to. Make sure he doesn't get away and don't believe his lies; if he gets free, he will kill you without a second thought."
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl pauses on his way to collapse and nods emphatically at Anna's words to Bernardo, "That one has committed murder and worse, would have cheerfully subjected Katie to a fate worse than death, and is perfectly willing to do the same to you. Whatever else happens, remember that he does not deserve your pity, not an ounce of it."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-09-11 at 09:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gabe was already heading out the door, going home to rest up and recover; not bothering to worry about the confrontation going on inside.

Bernardo followed Karl and Anna into the stairwell, still clearly not satisfied with their explanations. His shoulders were tense and he was moving with a bunched up energy, as if he was getting ready for a fight. As the door to the stairwell slammed behind him, Bernardo began racing up the stairs and yelled, "So what? You just want me to keep him here? I'm just supposed to watch over your prisoner for you? Is this how it's going to be?" Perhaps it was the inertia of the coming dawn, but Bernardo was on the two vampires in just a second, his hand grabbing the shoulder of whomever was the second up the stairs to stop them from going any further. "This isn't fair, and it isn't right! Why didn't you just take him to the police if this guy is so bad? What the hell am I supposed to do? What if he needs to go to the bathroom, and what if he needs food and water? You want me to just keep him chained up downstairs all day???" Bernardo was livid, his eyes were wide, his face lined with concern, and worse, fear.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-09-12 at 08:57 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl is leaning on the wall now, he wants to brush the kid aside, but it's fairly clear that he's not likely to follow instructions as things are. "He is here because this was the only way to rescue Katie without letting anyone know that we were involved in rescuing Katie. Both the cops and the gang have to assume that this one messed up and ran off, allowing the cops to find their little shop of horrors and Anna's cousin."

"I am sorry, it is not reasonable of us to dump this on you without warning. But Gabriel has already been up for 24 hours, and the two of us are about to literally drop dead. There is no one else we can trust with this important task. Gabe should be back to help after he gets some rest, don't let this one out of the bindings for anything at all until then. Not for water, not for the bathroom, not for anything. If you need justification, remember that he treated his prisoner far worse than we are treating him."

"If you cannot handle this, then our only alternative is to kill him here and now. We do not have time for anything else. Can we count on you?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-09-12 at 02:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

It’s a good thing Karl was the one Bernardo grabbed because Anna’s mood was on a razor’s edge and she might have killed the ghoul where he stood for the disrespect.

As it was, she made sure her phone, the gang member’s phone, and Katie’s phone were all switched off while Karl handled Bernardo.

She looked up at Karl’s last sentence.

“I nearly slashed his throat earlier, but Karl stopped me,” Anna said, tapping the hilt of her Jain, “say the word Bernardo, I’ll go finish him off right now.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-12 at 11:37 AM.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bernardo's previously flushed face turns a deathly white, and his eyes go wide with sudden discomfort.

(OOC: Sorry for the delay. Could I get some sort of social roll here to convince Bernardo to fall in line? It seems like we are somewhere between Intimidation and Persuasion...)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There is a long moment as Bernardo stairs back at Anna and Karl, both of whom have turned their attention to the Ghoul and begun to close in on him. The boy begins to quiver with discomfort, his hands shaking, his pallid face lined with distress. But Bernardo's resolution seems to dissolve and suddenly fighting back tears he says, "Fine! Fine, I'll do it," before breaking into a string of obvious curses in Spanish. His shoulders slumped and all fight out of his body, Bernardo turns around and begins to lumber back down the stairs. "You know I was held captive myself, don't you," he calls back over his shoulder, though his head remains bowed. "Damn you... and damn me too!" he says weakly as he reaches the bottom of the stairs and disappears through the stairwell's first floor exit.

It was too late to follow the Ghoul or try to convince him further. Dawn was obviously approaching, if it had not already begun. The air seemed to be on fire, and stabbed at Anna and Karl's eyes and throats. The two Kindred were now desperately fighting to stave off the torpor of sleep. But before we move on, I'd like to know how Karl and Anna feel about the night's closing events.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    There is a long moment as Bernardo stairs back at Anna and Karl, both of whom have turned their attention to the Ghoul and begun to close in on him. The boy begins to quiver with discomfort, his hands shaking, his pallid face lined with distress. But Bernardo's resolution seems to dissolve and suddenly fighting back tears he says, "Fine! Fine, I'll do it," before breaking into a string of obvious curses in Spanish. His shoulders slumped and all fight out of his body, Bernardo turns around and begins to lumber back down the stairs. "You know I was held captive myself, don't you," he calls back over his shoulder, though his head remains bowed. "Damn you... and damn me too!" he says weakly as he reaches the bottom of the stairs and disappears through the stairwell's first floor exit.

It was too late to follow the Ghoul or try to convince him further. Dawn was obviously approaching, if it had not already begun. The air seemed to be on fire, and stabbed at Anna and Karl's eyes and throats. The two Kindred were now desperately fighting to stave off the torpor of sleep. But before we move on, I'd like to know how Karl and Anna feel about the night's closing events.
    Anna collapsed into bed in the darkened room, worried about her cousin. She almost wished she'd gone and collected her herself, consequences be damned, but she knew Karl was more collected than she was at the moment, and decided to trust in his judgement. She still had to smooth things over with Celestine and have a talking to with Katie, assuming the police even showed up and she managed to make it out of there....
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl slips into whatever space he can find. Tonight's events were irritating to say the least. The impending dawn had greatly limited his options. If he'd just had a little more time, getting Anna's cousin out could have been a simple and quiet affair. Instead, he'd had to kill that man, and would soon be killing another. Both deserved it to be certain, but still.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Jeez, three way tie! I guess this should be interesting...)

The fog of the day's torpor fades, the slumber of death giving way to a hazy consciousness. For Anna and for Karl, this awakening is punctuated by the fury of the Beast, the memory of the previous night's events and the decisions that were made. Perhaps the desire to make someone suffer, that kindling red hot anger, was only the Beast's; but as the nights go on, it is sometimes hard to tell.

There is a knock at both of your doors, Aisling's voice as you start to rise from your slumber in your private windowless and unfurnished room. "Karl? Anna? Did you guys make it home last night?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

Anna reflexively called out yes, even before she’d fully shaken off the sleep of torpor. She fingered the hole in her shirt; the stab wound had closed overnight, but her clothing was ruined. She quickly changed into a fresh set and emerged into the haven.

“Good evening,” she said to Aisling, “I meant to ask you, any luck finding out what’s going on with Gabrielle?”
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl quietly groans as the bones of his joint complain. Why couldn't the vitae fix that too?...

He hadn't bothered to undress last morning, and so simply steps out into the hall, "We need to check on Bernardo, I'm afraid we forced him to watch over a prisoner. Long story, but we didn't have much choice. He will need to be relieved and comforted."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

“Good evening,” she said to Aisling, “I meant to ask you, any luck finding out what’s going on with Gabrielle?”
    Aisling purrs in reply from across Anna's door, "Nothing too exciting. She mostly stays inside her apartment. I have not seen any concerning behaviors, but we fed her recently... so she probably is not yet getting desperate, though I am sure she will eventually."

As Anna finishes changing, she notices her cellphone, the screen basically covered in a series of text and call notifications. There is an email from Katie which reads, "I am so so sorry Anna. I really am. Thank you." There are about four missed calls all from Celestine, and one from her husband Henry. The calls were all from within the last hour. Had Anna's phone been on silent, or did she really sleep that soundly now? There were also a series of texts from Celestine, the majority reading something along the lines of, "Call me as soon as you wake," though from a few of the texts Anna can sense a hint of anger on top of frustration and grief.

He hadn't bothered to undress last morning, and so simply steps out into the hall, "We need to check on Bernardo, I'm afraid we forced him to watch over a prisoner. Long story, but we didn't have much choice. He will need to be relieved and comforted."
    Stepping out into the hallway, Karl sees that Aisling is dressed in a hodgepodge of clothing; a black tube top, an oversized wind breaker, and a pair of sweat pants that are a good size or two too small so that the pant leg breaks a few inches above her bare ankles.

A snarl plays onto the young Gangrel's face at Karl's words. "What do you mean Bernardo is watching a prisoner," she hisses, lips curling back to show fangs. Her eyes dart about the hallway, as if she might find Bernardo hiding with the prisoner somewhere in a corner and says, "Where is he? What is going on?"
    Show