New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Anna looks for a place she can make an ambush first, then she knocks over a trash can and ducks behind whatever cover she identified.

Spoiler
    Show
    presence + expression: (4d10)[1][5][1][2](9)
    10 again: (4d10)[3][2][8][3](16)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anna knocks a trash can over. A couple of beer bottles and a clatter out. The two ghouls startle, peer over at the direction of the sound, and start to come over. But as they start to round the corner, one of the two ghouls locks eyes with Anna, as if he were seeing a ghost. He leads the other till they are right in front of Anna and the man growls, "Who are you, what are you doing here?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-01-14 at 09:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

As soon as the ghoul spotted her, Anna used obfuscate to hide her sword.

She stood slowly as they approached.

“Where’s the toilet?” she asked in Cantonese, “the one at the gas station is broken.”
    She pointed across the street, then pressed her thighs together uncomfortably.

come on Karl, can’t stall them forever,” she thought.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl stiffens as not only do both ghouls come around the corner, but Anna gets spotted. Damn, this was not going to make things easy.

All right, step one, deprive both of them of their noisy weapons... The stealthy mekhet moved in reaching for the lead one's weapon before going after the one in back.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dex+Larceny+obfuscation steal attempt 1 (6d10)[2][6][2][5][8][10](33)
    Dex+Larceny+obfuscation steal attempt 2 (6d10)[1][5][2][9][2][2](21)
    ten again (6d10)[9][8][1][6][9][9](42)
    3 successes for theft 1, 1 success for theft 2
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-15 at 08:38 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The two Ghouls continue to approach Anna. As they do Karl moves between them, relieving them both of the pistols in their waistbands; nothing more than a shadow in an already dark night.

The Ghoul in the lead, the one who spotted Anna and called out to her growls in a rather inhuman manner. He's maybe in his late thirties, prematurely balding but with a long already greying beard. He reeks of body odor and tabacco. "I don't understand Chinese," he barks, which causes the second ghoul to snigger, this one taller, younger and well muscled. The first one stops and sniffs at the air. He glares at Anna and says, "Wait a second; you're... you're Kindred!" as he reaches for the gun no longer in his possession. By now he's easily within striking distance for Anna, having stepped too close in his overconfidence.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl shifts into position behind the other ghoul. Pausing just a moment to collect himself, he presses one gun to the man's head, and the other to the left side of his upper back, hoping for a kill shot with both bullets. He pulls the ghoul into the shadows with him, and immediately pulls both triggers.

Show
    Mmkay, I'm hoping for a few extra dice here given that its a surprise attack, and I don't even have to really aim to target vitals here. But let's see how this goes.

Dex+firearms+handgunspecialty attack 1 (5d10)[10][3][3][4][6](26)
    Dex+firearms+handgunspecialty attack 2 (5d10)[4][8][5][2][10](29)
    pool for any extra dice the DM wants to throw on there (10d10)[3][5][3][7][9][5][3][7][6][1](49)
    ten again (5d10)[7][4][10][4][4](29)
    Mmkay, if these are both heavy pistols of some sort, that'd be 7 lethal damage right there. Hopefully that'l do it.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-16 at 08:57 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

As Karl makes his move, Anna uses the moment of distraction to swing her blade straight for the other ghoul’s neck to keep him from raising the alarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: str 2+ Weaponry 3 + spec 1 + all out 2 + physical augmentation 2: (10d10)[5][3][4][10][6][9][7][2][6][6](58)
    Bonus dice because he didn’t know I had a sword (gm discretion): (5d10)[4][9][1][3][7](24)
    9 again: (10d10)[4][10][3][7][7][2][7][8][5][10](63)
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To everyone but Karl, the lagging Ghoul's head simply explodes in a gout of blood and gore, as a hole bursts open on the front of his chest. The air is suddenly filled with the hot smell of blood that stokes the hunger of The Beast. The Ghoul doesn't even have time to scream out, his limp dying body dropped to the floor.

(OOC: I'm going to consider this a killing blow as Karl is completely invisible, and fired two guns at point blank into an unsuspecting person. However, as per the rules this is a Humanity two level breaking point at one dice, not including benefits of Touchstones ect. I'll give you an extra dice as Karl is in a tough situation and is just doing his job)

The leading Ghoul turns to watch his companion collapse to the floor in a bloody mess, and is taken by surprise by Anna's sword swipe. The jain whips hard into the meat of the man's neck, but rather than biting and cutting through, the momentum of the sword spins the man around and he drops to his knees. One of the Ghoul's hands goes reflexively to the gash in his neck, though he is quiet unable to staunch the flow of viscous crimson that begins to leak from between his fingers.

(OOC: Anna does 5 lethal damage, almost killing this Ghoul. The surprise round is over and this round the man will be able to apply his defense bonus, which is now dropped to 1 by his damage penalty. We never rolled initiative, but suffice to say I will let Karl and Anna act first. I would consider killing this Ghoul at this point an impassioned killing at Humanity 3, worth 2d10 + touchstone benefits ect)
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Anna followed through and swung around for a second strike, aiming to silence the ghoul completely before he can react.

Spoiler
    Show
    attacj: str+weapons+spec+ all out (8d10)[6][3][9][9][1][3][2][5](38)
    9again: (7d10)[9][8][7][5][8][8][10](55) that’s 4 successes for 6 damage, should do it.

Edit: as the ghoul goes down, Anna knelt down to suck some of the blood from the gaping wounds before his heart stopped, to replace what she’d used. She had a feeling she would need all she could get tonight.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-18 at 06:03 PM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The ghoul's head comes clean off in one slice. His globe falls forward in the opposite direction of Anna's sword stroke, tumbles over and hits the ground with a soft squish. Blood begins to pool on the concrete, creating a spreading warm layer of crimson so dark it is almost black in the moonlight. It takes a moment for the ghoul's body to topple, falling beside its lost head. Anna bends forward and begins drinking.

(OOC: Assuming you are going to top off Anna's blood pool? Anna resolves Bestial and gains a beat. As above though, she needs to make a Breaking point check for 2D10 + touchstone + 1 extra dice because Anna is in a tough position just doing her job)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-01-18 at 08:08 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seeing Anna finish off her ghoul cleanly, Karl steps back to peer around the corner at the front door of the bar, intently watching and listening for any sign that the ruckus had been overheard.

After a few moments, if there's nothing, he turns back to Anna, "Well that didn't exactly go to plan. No matter, I suggest that we use the gas station supplies to make a few molotovs while we wait for Nova, Aisling, and the others."

He sends a pulse message to the sheriff and their third coterie member, //The ghouls on guard are now dead. Party's still ongoing. Meet us at the gas station. The cameras are disabled, and the clerk sleeping things off. Plenty of extra flammables for us to use here, and the roof should make for a good firing position for riflemen.//

Show
    In case its needed wits+composure (5d10)[4][8][10][1][3](26)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After Anna is finished filling her gut (is the Beast ever truly sated?) she and Karl cross the street back to the gas station and begin preparing fire grenades. It's all too easy filling emptied beer bottles with gasoline, though of course Karl has to use his card to keep the gasoline flowing.

Anna and Karl have only filled up a handful of bottles though when a pair of beat up vans missing license plates pull into the gas station. Of course Nova had never replied to Karl's message. Out of the vans pour Nova, Aisling, and eight ghouls; a mixed but somewhat familiar looking lot, many of whom look like they could be members of MS-13 themselves. Nova is the first one out of the van and she slams a matte black assault rifle into Karl's hands. The Sheriff's eyes are almost growing red with anger. Her eyes dart from Karl to Anna and she snarls, "Took you two long enough! Tell me you took care of everything and we're ready to get set up?"

Standing behind Nova and out of her view, Aisling gives her two companions a glance that says, What the hell is wrong with her?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl's face starts twitching again, "Yes, we're ready. The guards are dead, and the party is still ongoing. The gas station cameras have been disabled along with the clerk, so we can use it as a firebase and for additional fuel and supplies. Our recon revealed no other potential witnesses in the immediate area."

"I suggest loading much of the explosives you brought into the kitchen in the back of the bar. It can be accessed without anyone in the main area seeing, and there are a number of propane tanks to load up back there to help give the blast some extra punch. Soak the exterior walls in fuel, except for the front so they only have the one exit.

"Then we can set the rest up in position to detonate in their faces as the survivors stumble out the front door."

"The music they have playing in there is making them deaf to the outside, so we should be able to move about relatively freely, but I suggest trying not to push it."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-19 at 10:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Yes, we're ready to go," Anna said, "I need a bigger gun though if you have one, and a few extra mags."
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In reply to Karl's statement, Nova asks, "What about the gas station clerk? You took care of him?"

Following Karl's reply Nova snarls,"Let's move quickly!" speaking as much to the ghouls as she is to her Hounds. Then she turns her attention to Karl and Anna and says, "Well you are the two Mekhet. I like the plan... so make with the sneaking and let's get this **** underway." The Sherriff's tone is mixed with slowly broiling rage and disdain towards her fellow Kindred. "We'll set up a perimeter and prepare kill zones," Nova adds, indicating herself, Aisling and the pack of Ghouls.

As an afterthought she grabs an assault rifle from one of her underlings and thrusts it into Anna's hands saying, "Happy? Just remember this is only going to do so much against our main targets in there."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“I’ll be happier when they’re all dead,” Anna said as she accepted the rifle.

Nova could whine all she wanted but a rifle and 100 yards beat an axe to the face any night of the week.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl states, indicating some of the ghouls, "We could use a hand hauling the bulk of the supplies to the back of the building."

Whether they get the help or not, Karl busies himself with shifting flammables and Nova's makeshift explosives around to the back door of the place. Fuel gets poured around and onto the walls, some of the explosives get carefully placed on the front porch with more fuel used to act as their detonator.

Once everything that could be done outside is done, Karl puts his hands on the back door and motions for quiet as he once again uses his abilities to creak it open, carefully checking to see if the kitchen remains clear.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Not only does not one of the ghouls move to help, but one of them, a young man with a shaved head dark skin and darker eyes retorts, "We can't do your disappearing voodoo. It's all you man." He says it as if he were about to spit at Karl's feet.

When Aisling makes a move to start helping, Nova places a firm hand on her shoulder and growls, "Let them do it, unless the Shadows have taught you their blood magic. No point getting caught." Aisling shakes her head and acquiesces hesitantly. Nova turns her attention back to Karl and Anna and barks, "Hurry up. Who knows when the party's gonna end."

Show
    So it's time for an extended action with goal of 10 successes in three turns or less. The roll will be Strength+Stamina to represent the manual labor of moving the cannisters into place over time, before people start to trickle out of the bar! From a gross calculation standpoint this may be a close one and you may want to consider rolling twice, tallying your results and then consider using a WP for your last roll if you are behind!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl grumbles, then reaches out to Aisling, with a pop, both of them completely disappear. His voice is heard from somewhere, "Any further objections?"

Show
    2 rolls worth of str+stam+3 from one use of willpower, hopefully that last argument gets some of them to help (11d10)[2][8][5][7][1][1][2][1][5][9][1](42)
    ten again (11d10)[2][1][2][3][2][3][9][3][4][8][5](42)
    Ignore the willpower use and the last three rolls if we actually get enough help here to get it done right.

Oof, only two successes...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-24 at 08:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"This'll all be for nothing if they realize the ghouls are dead..." Anna said.

Nevertheless, she got to work moving stuff.

Spoiler
    Show
    we dont' know how long we have, so won't be spending willpower regardless.

str + stamina (5d10)[4][3][4][4][4](19)
    str+ stamina (5d10)[3][7][1][1][4](16)
    str+ stamina (5d10)[1][9][4][9][2](25)
    10 again: (10d10)[8][4][1][10][8][5][4][10][8][3](61)
    that's 2 successes.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-23 at 12:34 PM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With Aisling's help, the work goes a little quicker, but Karl would be sweating by the time they were finished if he still had functioning glands for it. One last push to hurry up and get this done.

Show
    str+stam+2 dice from spending a bp on physical intensity as per Benno's suggestion. (6d10)[8][2][6][4][5][1](26)
    ten again (6d10)[5][2][4][7][9][8](35)
    Feh, all that and I still only barely made it...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-24 at 08:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As Karl, Anna and Aisling finish up hauling the last few cannisters, and dowsing the outer walls of the bar with gasoline, the music from the jukebox fades out. The three Kindred finish their last bit before rushing back across the street, and dropping their Obfuscation.

Nova looks at the three with a grin and says, "All done? Good! Took you long enough." She peers out at The Devil's Hole and says, "Let's get this party started." The Gangrel picks up two molotov cocktails, and indicates to one of her Ghouls who comes running over, pulls out a zippo, and lights the two explosive candles. The growing flame on the soaked cloth causes the Beast in each nearby Kindred to hiss growl and whimper. "Take your positions," Nova orders hurriedly, her eyes wide and glowing with the dancing oranges and reds of the flames in her hands, "Get ready!"

(OOC: Karl is now down to 7BP)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-01-25 at 09:33 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

[b]Anna Wu[/b

“Karl if you can obfuscate Aisling she might be able to take one of the Brujah from the shadows,” Anna said as they got into position.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods to Anna, "Lets call that plan B, if one of them busts out of the kill zone. There's going to be a lot of crossfire in that area, and I'm not sure these guys would go out of their way to avoid shooting us even if we didn't go invisible."

Karl takes up a position off to the side, ready to provide flanking fire.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Anna takes up a position at the corner of the kill box so she could see the side of the building as well as the front, in case anyone managed to escape that way.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As Karl and Anna took their spots, Nova hurled one and then the other makeshift explosive. Propelled in part by the Grangrel's blood tricks, the two Molotov cocktails did not so much arc as they bulleted in straight lines to crash against the side of the building. Each bottle hit with the sound of shattering glass, popping open in a flower's bloom of orange fire. Anna and Karl had doused the sides and base of the building with gasoline, and the two small fires quickly exploded across the side wall of the building. Flames raced across the tavern, hitting the makeshift explosives and propane tanks by the kitchen's entrance. In a matter of seconds the air was filled with heat that reached all the way to the gas station, and the concussive noise of the propane tanks hitting critical pressure. The leaking propane tanks had been allowed to aerosolize into the kitchen, and soon the windows of the kitchen were exploding outward, shattered by gouts of fire. Shrieks of pure terror and pain could be heard coming from the Devil's Hole, which had now become a literal hellfire.

Nova stood out in the open, watching the fire with a maniacal grin. The flames danced light and shadows across her face, filling her eyes with ruby orange blood lust. Several of the Ghouls howled and hooted in triumph, some even lowered their weapons to high five each other or clap one another on the back. The entire building was going up in flame.

Even from this far away, the sight of the terrible raging hungry fire was enough to drive one to Frenzy. Despite Nova's apparent calm, inside all present Kindred, the Beast raged; demanding to be allowed to flee, desperately trying to take control.

(OOC: No one needs to roll for a breaking point as promised. The carnage is enough to clear both Karl and Anna of their Bestial Condition, and give them a beast. However, please give me a roll to resist Frenzy: Resolve + Composure at +1.

Also, please give me a Wits + Int roll each of you. Also Daishain dont forget that Karl still has his Steadfast condition. )
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-01-30 at 02:45 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl shakes his head at the ghouls celebrating too early, shouldering his weapon and watching for the first of the Brujah to break out. They'd be weakened and probably half insane from the flames, but he doubted they'd be much less dangerous for all of that.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna grit her teeth at the sound and heat of the flames. It could destroy her, she knew, and the Beast wanted nothing to do with it, wanted to flee to safety, but she forced it down, barely.

“Shut the $&#! up!” Anna growled at the ghouls, “Eyes on the windows and doors, shoot anything that comes out of there, including the gangers, every one one of them is a Masquerade breach, they all have to die. If you see a Brujah, call it out so everyone knows where they are.”
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Despite the howling of The Beast in the back of Karl's mind, he remains focused and forces the impulse to run back and down. He can feel the rippling heat coming from the building, but the fear simply fades away and Karl's eyes remain focused on the burning Devil's Hole. He remains resolute in finishing the job he came to accomplish.

Show
    Karl's exceptional success gets him an additional WP and I'm going to give you a Beat

The air feels like fire, hot enough to scald Anna's flesh. It's almost painful and The Beast shrieks and begs, and struggles for control. But Anna holds on. She grits her teeth as she tries to ignore the need to flee.

Show
    Anna's once success barely allow her to hold on. She gains the Tempted condition pg 307, and a beat as well. The Beast came close to gaining control and remains close to the surface, egging her on to do something terrible and anxiously awaiting for the chance to take over if Anna slips. She has a -1 to resist frenzy again, and can only shed the condition by Frenzying, killing, or interacting with her Touchstone.

“Shut the $&#! up!” Anna growled at the ghouls, “Eyes on the windows and doors, shoot anything that comes out of there, including the gangers, every one one of them is a Masquerade breach, they all have to die. If you see a Brujah, call it out so everyone knows where they are.”
    Almost on cue a figure bursts through the window. Flames cover the man's clothing, and plume from his bandanna and face. Screaming as his flesh catches fire, his black maw silhouetted by fangs, Hector's eyes lock on the group of city Kindred across the street. But whatever curses he screams are drowned out by the crackling inferno of the tavern behind him. Impossibly, the Bruja remains on his feet, when so much flame would have turned a normal Kindred to ash. He begins to charge forward, seemingly ignorant of his costume of fire, in a rage of hell driven fury.

And as Hector charges forward, a second vampire bursts through the front door. This one is Hacha, similarly wreathed in an aura of fire, and he two charges forward, followed by a third Bruja, this one unfamiliar to Karl and Anna.

(OOC: So please give me an initiative roll and your first action in this likely short combat)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

(1d10+6)[10]

Anna followed her own advice and called out the Brujah’s position.
    “One from the window, two from the door, take ‘em down!” she yelled.

She fired a medium burst (10 bullets) at the two kindred rushing out the front door.

Spoiler
    Show
    +3dex +firearms1 +medium2 - 2targets +2blood
    Hacha: (6d10)[8][10][6][1][5][9](39)
    Brujah3: (6d10)[5][10][5][8][6][4](38)
    10 again: (8d10)[8][8][2][6][7][6][10][5](52)
    TC for short