New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Nova chuckles, "Now you two are talking." She smiles, evil and hungry and delighted; fangs fully extended.

However, Aisling speaks up with slightly more concern, "Do we have to kill all of them" she asks naively, "You don't think they'd get the message if we took out enough to send the rest fleeing." She pauses momentarily and adds, "Fire turns even the most powerful Kindred into a scared kitten."
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Why, so they can come back later and kill someone else?” Anna asked, “we might try talking to them first and find out why they were in the city and attacking one of us in the first place, find out if they’re willing to give the one who did it to the Prince’s justice or maybe get some major concessions from them or something, but if we’re going to dust one of them? Better do all of them.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-11-24 at 10:19 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl states, "Whether or not we kill any of them at all is the bigger question I think. We should contact the prince for his preference on ROE. As I said, simply destroying them from the start would be easier, but would also cause other problems."

"If we simply kill the Brujah, that sends a strong message that the Prince will enforce the law with strong action, but it also gives his opponents plenty of room to call him a bloody tyrant, and that could significantly weaken his effective authority. If we act without his consent to do something like that, I think it is likely that he would blame the matter on the rash choices of his new sheriff and hounds, and replace us with others."

He pauses a moment before continuing, "I should also point out that any sort of major engagement at the Devil's Hole will attract a lot of attention from the police, and chances are they'd bring in the FBI when they find signs of the heavier weapons we'll need. We can usually handle them, but it is also usually best to avoid their direct scrutiny if possible, I can't clean up a crime scene that big before they'd be on top of it."

"An alternative might be to lay an ambush out away from the city. Go ahead and get them to leave their hideyhole by setting fire to it, but don't engage after that. Then we ambush them on the road. The catch here of course is we'll need a very good idea of where they will go when they do leave, and we won't really have room to avoid killing."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

“Why, so they can come back later and kill someone else?” Anna asked, “we might try talking to them first and find out why they were in the city and attacking one of us in the first place, find out if they’re willing to give the one who did it to the Prince’s justice or maybe get some major concessions from them or something, but if we’re going to dust one of them? Better do all of them.”
    Aisling shrugs, gives a slight grunt, but says nothing.

Karl states, "Whether or not we kill any of them at all is the bigger question I think. We should contact the prince for his preference on ROE. As I said, simply destroying them from the start would be easier, but would also cause other problems."

"If we simply kill the Brujah, that sends a strong message that the Prince will enforce the law with strong action, but it also gives his opponents plenty of room to call him a bloody tyrant, and that could significantly weaken his effective authority. If we act without his consent to do something like that, I think it is likely that he would blame the matter on the rash choices of his new sheriff and hounds, and replace us with others."
    Here Nova leans in showing her fangs and says, "Let me correct you here Karl. The Prince has authorized a blood hunt. The Bruja have attacked the loyal citizens of San Francisco; they are the enemy. It is not our job to question whether or not this decision will make him unpopular. We have full discretion as to how many Bruja we wipe out, and how many we simply chase off."

She pulls out her phone and shows a message on pulse, in a conversation between herself and The Prince, in which he tells Nova he is authorizing a blood hunt, and asks her to enact his will. She gives Karl a mocking pout and says, "I'm sorry you weren't included in the conversation... dog." Nova sneers.

He pauses a moment before continuing, "I should also point out that any sort of major engagement at the Devil's Hole will attract a lot of attention from the police, and chances are they'd bring in the FBI when they find signs of the heavier weapons we'll need. We can usually handle them, but it is also usually best to avoid their direct scrutiny if possible, I can't clean up a crime scene that big before they'd be on top of it."

"An alternative might be to lay an ambush out away from the city. Go ahead and get them to leave their hideyhole by setting fire to it, but don't engage after that. Then we ambush them on the road. The catch here of course is we'll need a very good idea of where they will go when they do leave, and we won't really have room to avoid killing."
    This statement brings a more serious expression to Nova's face. She nods her head and softly says, "That is actually a good point. Taking it as far out of the city might be a wise idea... However, the Bruja know the outskirts and the in between places better than we do, and unless you are telling me you know a place, it might be hard to force them into a specific spot and force a... what did you call it before; kill zone?"
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Could have mentioned the blood hunt from the beginning, saved us some time,” Anna thought, but she kept her mouth shut.

She put a hand on Karl’s leg to keep him from saying anything rash.

“Don’t they ride motorcycles? How are we going to keep them from riding off into the desert?” Anna asked, “we should disable their vehicles first and burn the whole place down, and gun them down from a distance, maybe have ghouls using fire when they come running out. We can still have a kill box, just make it immediately outside of the building. They’re tough; we’ll need a lot of guns. Do we have any help? Do we still have that helicopter?”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-11-25 at 10:32 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl's left eye twitches as Nova mocks him with information she should have led with. But he says nothing about it and moves on,

"I'm afraid at the moment I do not have an answer for the question of predicting a spot that we can set that ambush. We could cover several of their known routes, but that has what I would consider an unacceptably high chance of failure."

"The odds of success go up considerably if we can find bait, so that they come to us. That would have the advantage of allowing us to scout out our own kill zone away from the city. They've already proven that they'll take considerable risks to rescue one of their own, so it seems like staking and hauling one of them off, then allowing them to find out where he's being held, would be our best bet."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

“Could have mentioned the blood hunt from the beginning, saved us some time,” Anna thought, but she kept her mouth shut.

She put a hand on Karl’s leg to keep him from saying anything rash.
    Nova sneers at Anna and replies, "Sorry. I figured the Prince contacted you separately. You are his little pets after all," She says this with snide derision.

She listens patiently as Anna and Karl discuss before saying, "Honestly, I like the idea of just trapping them in The Devil's Hole and burning the place down. Screw the Masquerade risk, we are the one who keep the Masquerade, and we will have all the support we need from the Prince in cleaning things up and keeping them quiet. That's what the Invictus do anyways, right? Besides, it's D'Agostino's own fault that he wants this kept relatively quiet. Otherwise we could have requisitioned a whole army before going in after the Bruja." She crosses her arms over her chest and grins. She was so confident in speaking so openly about The Prince and her new Hounds. It was as if she was trying to piss the coterie off.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, ignoring the jabs, if she wanted to test him, she'd find only how patient he could be, "Very well then."

"That building has a lot of exit points, sealing them all without them noticing will be impossible. We could draw a couple of big trucks up along the front and back to cover the doors and windows there, but there's a second story with windows of its own. So instead of trying, we can leave one path open. Let them run to the bikes they have stashed in the back, We can have more gasoline there and a few explosives, and be in a firing position to finish them off."

"I do have one final alternative though. I can drag a target into the shadows with me rather easily. I alone would not expect to be able to physically overpower them once I do that, but If Anna and perhaps two other Kindred skilled with obfuscate work with me, and we act with cunning to select targets not observed by the others, it should be possible to pick them off one by one, staking them and removing them from the group. It would be risky, but the payoff would be quite high. We would be able to drag them before the court still alive to face justice. Having such an accomplishment for your first actions as Sherriff would earn a great deal of respect for both you and the prince."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-11-28 at 10:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"You forgot one thing though Karl," Anna said, "what do you think they're going to do when we kidnap one of theirs? They're going to try to get one of ours, maybe even Tony or someone like that, to try and force an exchange. That would be a real mess."

"A blood hunt's been called, we don't need a trial. We should try to take them out as completely as possible to prevent retaliation," she said, "if you can get a few people inside unnoticed, you should bring a few cans of gasoline with you and light the whole place on fire to flush them out so we don't have to go in after them."
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I wasn't talking about kidnapping one of them and leaving the rest to retaliate, but rather whittling away at their numbers, we can kill or continue to capture the rest after each target is staked and set aside."

"I also wasn't talking about a trial. Keeping them alive for a little longer lets the prince, the court, and those personally affected by their actions see them being punished thoroughly."
    He looks to Nova with that last.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-11-28 at 12:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"That building has a lot of exit points, sealing them all without them noticing will be impossible. We could draw a couple of big trucks up along the front and back to cover the doors and windows there, but there's a second story with windows of its own. So instead of trying, we can leave one path open. Let them run to the bikes they have stashed in the back, We can have more gasoline there and a few explosives, and be in a firing position to finish them off."
    Nova grins at his and purrs, "How fiendish. I like the idea." She scratches the long nails of one of her hands reflexively against the coarse grain of the wooden table.

She impatiently listens as Karl and Anna discuss, speaking up with a disdainful tone to cut them both off. "It is a bad idea," she growls, "trying to pick them off like that. Even if they are Gangrel, the risk of one of them having The Sight, catching you and whittling down our numbers... it is dangerous." She pauses for a moment, making sure none of the three speak up and says, "As far as other exits... we have chains and padlocks, use your shadow powers to block the windows and back doors without being noticed. Use them as we drench the walls with gasoline and lay down fertilizer under the motorcycles. That is a better application of your proposed strategy." She stares down Anna, Karl and Aisling, as if daring one of them to challenge her authority.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Okay, is it just us?" Anna asked, "how long do we have to prepare?"
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl stays silent, waiting on the answer to Anna's question.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nova grins and replies, "No, I've got a van full of friends... well Ghouls really. But they're just waiting for the call. They've got the gasoline and the fertilizer. Everything we need to have ourselves a real party." There was an inhuman sort of glee in Nova's voice, and in the way she smiled at Anna.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Nova grins and replies, "No, I've got a van full of friends... well Ghouls really. But they're just waiting for the call. They've got the gasoline and the fertilizer. Everything we need to have ourselves a real party." There was an inhuman sort of glee in Nova's voice, and in the way she smiled at Anna.
    Anna Wu

"Do they have guns too?" Anna asked, "I'd feel a lot better if they had machine guns with lots of extra ammo, or better yet, grenade launchers."

"Do we have anyone observing their hideout?" Anna asked, "they might set a trap for us there, expecting us to retaliate for them killing someone."
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The grin on Nova's face somehow sours, her eyes darkening. "Don't you remember visiting my compound? My Ghouls are always well armed." Nova's statement brings back memories of visiting her compound in The Dog Patch, where the grassy dirt yard was guarded by a number of thuggish Ghouls, who had all been armed; even though many of them had clearly been high. It also brought back memories of raiding Nova's compound; of Julian running through Ghouls like they were children in his attempt to capture the shamed and hiding Mobius. That seemed like many many ages ago.

She adds, "No one observing their hideout. My pack are waiting for the word. They'll meet us at The Devil's Hole... if we ever decide to take action."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Anna leaned back in her seat. She’d never even drawn her weapon at Nova’s compound.

“No, not really, that was Julian,” Anna said, “I didn’t touch anyone there and neither did Karl, but I believe you. I think we should take a look first, make sure they’re there before we go in guns blazing.”
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, "Agreed, there are too many things we are uncertain of. Let me and Anna go in first, a delay of maybe ten minutes won't hurt anything. We'll make sure they're actually there, and haven't set an ambush of their own. If we don't find anything to change our plans, we can quietly seal the front door and set the flammables while the rest get into good firing positions. We can make a few molotovs to set off the second fire at the bikes from a distance."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It seems that Nova visibly strains to suppress an eye roll at Anna's claim, her lip twitching at the corner of her grin. She hears Karl out and replies, "Fine, as long as you are absolutely certain you can be," she waves her hand in a wishy-washy motion, "discreet." She pauses for a moment before adding, "Shall we get onto it then?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl stands and gives a short bow, "At your command sheriff. We'll proceed straight there and get the lay of the land."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

“Yes,” Anna said, “we should use earpieces too, to stay in contact and coordinate once the bullets start flying.”
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Ear pieces," Nova snorts, "sure, if you got them." With that, Nova wordlessly rises, seemingly satisfied with the conversation and now done with it. She pushes into the warm mass of bodies on the first floor of Tommy's and exits the bar.

(OOC: Not to keep things slowed down, but anything the players want to do or discuss before leaving for Daly City?)
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl sighs and turns to Aisling, "I would appreciate it if you rendezvous with the ghouls and made sure they stay in line. They are a rowdy bunch and could easily screw this up."

On their way to the bar, once certain that they would not be overheard, Karl remarks to Anna. "It seems to me that our new sheriff will require instruction to be a good fit for the role. It is unfortunate that she does not seem to be willing to listen to such from us. We will need to be cautious to be certain that any big mistakes are perceived as occurring in spite of our influence. If we are careful, this may prove to be an opportunity in the end. I suggest that if we see an opportunity, that we try to arrange things such that you become the next Sheriff."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Aisling tilts her head sideways like a confused puppy. "The Ghouls?" she asks with a coy grin, "you mean Bernardo, right? Gabrielle isn't exactly one of the gang anymore, and last I checked your Gabe was is now a soft toothed Fledgling." She pauses for a moment longer, before adding in her low husky voice, "And you sure you want me out of this? I think an extra pair of hands might be... useful on a night like tonight." She looks down at her hand, flexing her fingers like a feline's claws.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Aisling tilts her head sideways like a confused puppy. "The Ghouls?" she asks with a coy grin, "you mean Bernardo, right? Gabrielle isn't exactly one of the gang anymore, and last I checked your Gabe was is now a soft toothed Fledgling." She pauses for a moment longer, before adding in her low husky voice, "And you sure you want me out of this? I think an extra pair of hands might be... useful on a night like tonight." She looks down at her hand, flexing her fingers like a feline's claws.
    “He’s talking about Nova’s ghouls, Aisling,” Anna said, “you’re definitely coming.”

“Me?” Anna said in response to Karl, “are you serious? Oh by the way, I’m almost certain Nova had Lady Miho’s mirror, the one she lent to Estella.”
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, "Yes, I meant Nova's ghouls. Of course you're with us. But if those hotheads charge in before we make sure things are set for the ambush this could go sideways in a hurry. I have no desire to be on the business end of those axes of theirs."

"And yes Anna, I'm being entirely serious. It might be a little early to make such a play, but if Nova fails, the Prince doesn't have many other loyal options. Of the three of us, I think you'd be best suited for the role. Aisling lacks the background and I lack the presence required."

"In regards to the mirror, unless you want to ask her straight up about it, I'm not sure we'll have an opportunity to determine that tonight."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-06 at 07:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the mirror: “yeah I know, ”Anna replied, “just thought you should know before I forgot.”

Sheriff: “okay, makes sense I guess,” Anna said, “who would actually listen to me though, it’s not even a decade since I was Embraced.”
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    “He’s talking about Nova’s ghouls, Aisling,” Anna said, “you’re definitely coming.”

“Me?” Anna said in response to Karl, “are you serious? Oh by the way, I’m almost certain Nova had Lady Miho’s mirror, the one she lent to Estella.”
    "Oh," Aisling says flatly, "that makes more sense I guess."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, I honestly misunderstood that

She makes as if to leave then adds, "Um, I don't really have a car... and while I'd love to do some urban wandering, I assume I'd end up getting there late by foot." She gives Anna a pathetic grin and asks, "Would you maybe show me how to use that Udur phone thingy that lets you summon a car servant?"

(OOC: Assuming someone gets Aisling a ride, and assuming you are sending Aisling off ahead of yourselves, where are Karl and Anna going?)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-09 at 07:08 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Screech tried to get the Brujah to kill me,” Anna said to Karl once they were alone, “what are the chances he’s involved here? Should we go collect him?”
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl looks around noticing that the expected activity is absent. "Looks like the ghouls are not preparing to move, in that case come along with us Aisling, you can keep an eye on things while we move in to check it out."

Later, when Anna asks the question about Screech, he shakes his head. "Possibly, but I doubt it. I got the distinct impression that Screech was just trying to get rid of us and doesn't have any real relationship with those guys. If we do find any evidence of a connection, we can look into it."