New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

“Hmm, okay,” Anna said.

“My obfuscate isn’t as advanced as yours, can you cover me as well?” she asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Doing as told, Aisling slinks off down the street to chase after Nova.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yes, but we will have to stick very close for that. Let's Scout the surrounding and then join up to get close."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-11 at 02:15 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once finished with their conversation, Anna and Karl drive back out to Daly City. Though the trip does not require them to completely exit the safety of of their urban Gilden Cage, the short periods of drive down the 280 in the "in between" places leave the two Mekhet almost shivering in discomfort. There was something about being outside of the city that made a Kindred feel completely vulnerable; perhaps it was their willingness to move through such long strips of emptiness that made vampires such as the Bruja so formidable. While traveling up and down the coast of California, the Hell's Furies would likely spend hour of the night without the protection of skyscrapers and alleyways; without the promise of a reliable herd of ignorant and defenseless Kine to feed on.

But mercifully the trip into Daly City was very short. In many ways, the seven mile valley of two-story buildings and outdated industrial complexes was unchanged from the last time Anna and Karl had visited. Yet in other ways Daly City had begun to change drastically. Many of the small store fronts and apartment buildings had been run down and boarded up. Despite it still being early in the night, the streets were emptier, some even felt outright abandoned. And in pockets new buildings were being built up; the skeletons of tall, modern looking luxury condos.

And yet, The Devil's Hole remained, sprouting like a canker on an under-developed lot of grass caged in by freeway. The squat two story bar could be seen from nearly a half mile away, its lurid neon signs advertising cheap beer and free music. The lot that surrounded three sides of the building was lined with motorcycles, mostly Harley's or other brands of American make. There was easily fifteen or so bikes. And from a quarter mile out, Karl and Anna could hear the blaring sound of rock music; maybe The Doors, bleeding out from inside the tavern.

Across the freeway from The Devil's Hole lot was an oily looking gas station, empty or perhaps avoided by the locals. Outside of the gas station and the tavern's lot, it would likely be necessary to park in the dirt paved pull out along the freeway.

(OOC: So how are Anna and Karl approaching the bar?)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“What if we go past it and approach on foot from the other side,” Anna asked, “if they’re watching from the city side they might not be so careful about the other direction.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Sounds like a plan to me, we can give it a quick eyeball as we go past and then double back." Karl smoothly drives past, just another car passing through...

Without slowing down, he'll take a look at how things are set up and keep what attention he can spare on any activity outside of the bar. After passing it, he'll find a spot to stash the car while the pair walk back on foot, keeping to the shadows.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As they pass, Karl and Anna can both appreciate the pair of bikers standing in front of the blood red door. The two are passing a cigar back and forth, and don't seem to be on any sort of lookout or alert.

After driving a good ways down the road, Karl pulls the car over, pulling up on a relatively quiet strip of sidewalk.

(OOC: Walking back I assume you will want to activate Obfuscate and maybe try to be stealthy?)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"We'll probably have to deal with those two. If they're just ghouls it should not be especially difficult. Doesn't look like they're expecting trouble. Its either a good bluff or they're fools. Probably the latter, but its dangerous to assume."

Karl looks around carefully as he shuts off the car and exits. "In any case, your obfuscation skills should be sufficient to allow you to walk the surrounding streets and check for trouble. Either anyone associated with these people or others likely to bring the cops here before we're finished. If that is fine with you, I'll get in closer and focus on the area immediately around the bar."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

“That’s fine,” Anna said, “what do you want me to do if you get caught?”
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Use your judgement. A distraction of some sort would likely be my best bet to get away. If you don't see an opportunity, I'll stall while you tell Nova to go ahead and hit the place." Karl looks towards the bar, "Shouldn't be a problem though, I'm full up, none of them displayed a talent with celerity when we fought with them, and I have no intention of getting in range for someone to grab me."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    "Use your judgement. A distraction of some sort would likely be my best bet to get away. If you don't see an opportunity, I'll stall while you tell Nova to go ahead and hit the place." Karl looks towards the bar, "Shouldn't be a problem though, I'm full up, none of them displayed a talent with celerity when we fought with them, and I have no intention of getting in range for someone to grab me."
    Anna nodded.

"Good luck," she said.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Sorry for the delays, I just needed to check my notes and the rulebooks on a few things)

Anna and Karl part ways, with Anna out to scan the perimeter around the parking lot and the area surrounding the bar, while Karl would try to get a bit closer.

(OOC: So, now is your time to activate any Obfuscate if you are gonna. On top of that, please give me a Dex + Stealth roll; add your dots of obfuscate appropriate to any power you activate. TC, please give me Wits + Streetwise as well. Dai, give me Wits + Investigation)
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    (OOC: Sorry for the delays, I just needed to check my notes and the rulebooks on a few things)

Anna and Karl part ways, with Anna out to scan the perimeter around the parking lot and the area surrounding the bar, while Karl would try to get a bit closer.

(OOC: So, now is your time to activate any Obfuscate if you are gonna. On top of that, please give me a Dex + Stealth roll; add your dots of obfuscate appropriate to any power you activate. TC, please give me Wits + Streetwise as well. Dai, give me Wits + Investigation)
    Before getting too close Anna strains her senses to see if she can pick up anything out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    going to activate auspex 1 to hear any patrols or anything like that. Feel free to roll that for me so I don’t know how well I did.
    Dex+ stealth: (4d10)[1][2][6][3](12)
    Obfuscate because I can’t remember whether to add it to stealth rolls: (2d10)[9][9](18)

Wits + streetwise: (4d10)[10][4][3][7](24)
    10 agains: (6d10)[1][9][7][7][4][7](35)
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-12-17 at 06:56 PM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl's form ripples and the mekhet vanishes from view as he heads straight towards the bar. He starts by inspecting positions close to the bar that might serve as good firing positions for the upcoming ambush, and then moves in to check out the pair standing in front, the bikes in back, and then trying to get a peek inside through any windows.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dex+stealth+obfuscate (8d10)[2][4][1][1][8][6][4][2](28)
    Wits+Investigation (6d10)[8][2][1][4][1][7](23)
    ten agains (6d10)[6][6][4][3][2][6](27)
    Phew, that is almost impressively close to bombing both rolls...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-17 at 07:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anna begins her stroll towards the outer perimeter of The Devil's Hole. She pushes her vampiric senses out, searching for any sense of threat or patrol. The Beast growls in the back of her skull, causing her scalp to tingle as if rippling with electricity. 'The ghouls... the ghouls at the door,' Anna thought (or was it The Beast whispering in her ear), 'they weren't just out there smoking, they were on guard, they were the patrol.'

(OOC: Anna does not lose any Vitae on her first use of Beast's Hackles)

With that, Anna allows herself to slide into the shadows. Dropping into the anonymity of the night is as natural for the Mekhet as a yawn might be for a tired mortal. She begins to prowl into the lot of the bar and the Ghouls seem none the wiser. As she stalks through the parking lot, she notices something about a pair of clunky looking, gas guzzling, American motorcycles. Painted in white spray paint along the black engine case of each cycle are the letters, M.S.; with the M sporting devil's horns in a design all too familiar to Anna given all her interactions with the notorious gang of late. It is also striking to Anna how much more full this lot is, compared to the last time she visited The Devil's Hole.

Karl as well shifts into the shadows, beginning his casing of the tavern. The Beast practically sighs as Karl allows the darkness to overtake him. As he gets near the two Ghouls, he can smell the caustic heavy stench of their cigar. Even the small cherry of the cigar is enough to make the Mekhet's skin ripple. One of the Ghouls is younger, maybe in his late teens or early twenties, long greasy hair running down past his shoulders. His companion is older, heavy set and with a long scraggly greying beard. Their conversation suddenly stops. The two sniff at the air as Karl comes close, eyes furrowing as they raise their noses to the air like wolves. But neither seems to be able to pinpoint Karl and after a few moments and as Karl moves away, they seem to shrug a their confusion and go back to their **** talk.

As far as Karl can see, outside of the scarlet front door, the only other door to the bar is a black iron slab at the back of the building. Nearby in the back is a rusted and ancient looking generator; fenced in with rotting wooden slabs. Long black cables run from the generator to the the back of the building. Leaning against the side of the fence are a trio of equally aged cylindrical propane tanks. Checking the tanks, Karl sees that two of the three are full, the third being empty.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Anna pulls back and counts the vehicle from afar to get a good idea of how many are inside.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

By Anna's count there are about 19 motorcycles, a significant number more than had been parked outside the Hole last time. However, several of the hogs have cushions for a second seat, and one even has one of those old timey side cars on it. Along with that there is a an old beat up van, beaten and rusted to the color of vomit.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl checks out the generator, it might be useful to cut off the power just before igniting this place. The propane tanks might be useful as well, getting them to explode on demand would not be simple, but they could definitely add to the chaos.

He looks around for any positions from which he might be able to observe what is going on inside of the building.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The generator itself appears pretty simple, at least what Karl can discern from peering between the slats of the fence. Getting on to his second task, Karl is disappointed to realize that the windows of the bar are tinted black. But peering across the street, Karl decides a decent place to camp out and watch the bar might be the gas station across the street.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    By Anna's count there are about 19 motorcycles, a significant number more than had been parked outside the Hole last time. However, several of the hogs have cushions for a second seat, and one even has one of those old timey side cars on it. Along with that there is a an old beat up van, beaten and rusted to the color of vomit.
    “All the better,” Anna thought, “just need to be prepared, and take out the vehicles first.”

She retreated a safe distance from the lot and waited for Karl to return.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-12-20 at 06:52 PM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not seeing anything else he can do for the moment, Karl retreats to where Anna is waiting, on sharing what they'd found he frowns, "This could make things difficult. It is inevitable that some will survive the initial assault. If it was just the Brujah, it would likely only be a few, and a bit of coordinated fire would finish them off without too much difficulty. With a group this large, we could end up in an even fight, or even at a disadvantage, in a real hurry."

He punches out a message to Nova and Aisling, letting Anna review it before sending, "The Brujah are currently meeting with a large group of unknown individuals, at least some of them appear to be MS13 gang members. Currently estimating between twenty and thirty individuals in the bar, and its a safe bet that they're all armed."

"This represents a significant reduction in our odds of success, even with surprise on our side. I suggest two courses of action for your consideration Sheriff. Either wait until these groups separate again, or use the kine police to our advantage."

"The former would let us use our original plan, but at present we do not know how long we will have to wait."

"In the latter case, should the police be made aware that there is a wanted murderer hiding out in that bar, and should someone just happen to shoot at the police as they're arriving, they'll roll out in force and do most of the work for us. We can wait in the wings and snatch up any of the Brujah that bust through."

Karl grins at Anna about that last detail, "Our dead friend could prove useful tonight. Just mention that he was spotted in the area with a bunch of armed gang members, and they'll come running to check it out."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-21 at 12:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

“That’s devious Karl, even for you,” Anna replied, “I love it.”
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Glad you like it. We do need to be sure our anonymous caller doesn't mention anything the public wouldn't know. Now let's see..." While waiting for a reply, Karl looks for news reports on his phone related to the shooting last night.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-21 at 09:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The first Pulse message back from Nova reads, "Is the bar even big enough to hold 30 people!!!" This is followed by a second which reads, "The former. Bringing the police to the Bruja's haven is a Masquerade breech waiting to happen." There is a long pause before Nova's final message comes in, "Are you sure that they are having some form of meeting? If you can be certain that it is, and they will break up before the night is over, then we just need to wait them out!"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Anna attempted to extend her senses into the building to figure out how many people were inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    using auspex 1 to enhance hearing and focus on the devil’s hole.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl sends another message, "It would be cramped, but maybe. There are 19 motorbikes outside, many of them have sidecars or double seats allowing for a passenger, hence some uncertainty on the total number of people."

"We will keep looking, but at present we are not seeing a means to quietly confirm what's going on inside. The windows are all blacked out, and two ghouls are standing guard at the door. They both had keen enough senses to smell me when I got within a dozen paces or so. They assumed it was nothing when I backed off, but will likely pay attention if they smell me again."

"We're in a good position to observe the place and see if the extras leave shortly."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While Anna studies the building, Karl's phone vibrates as it picks up Nova's reply. "Aren't you two Mekhet??? Make with the sneaky and figure your **** out!!! Otherwise, admit you're worthless and I'll come down there NOW to take care of this ****!"

(OOC: TC, please see my OOC post)
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl's face twists, muttering out loud in Anna's general direction, "Damn woman, she should be well aware there are practical limitations to anyone's abilities. We've already given her valuable intelligence. If she'd come roaring in here like she wanted she'd probably be fighting for her life and losing."

He takes another loop around the building, looking for any vulnerabilities he might have missed the first time.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wits+composure (5d10)[6][6][6][8][1](27)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-23 at 06:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

“We really should have had a team building exercise first,” Anna replied to Karl.

“I’ll give a listen to see if I can figure out if our friends are actually inside,” she added.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl starts to retrace his prior hunt around the bar. While mostly an exercise in futility, he has a moment of tiny genius. Coiled on the pavement between a pair of grizzly looking motorcycles is a long iron chain, and a popped open padlock. As far as Karl can tell, maybe this was supposed to be used to secure a motorcycle to a pole, though maybe instead it was a makeshift weapon. It would be a little noisy unless Karl relied on his Obfuscate, but the chain could definitely be run across the back door to prevent anyone from escaping out the back!

As Karl does his "walk around", Anna settles her gaze on the bar; freeing The Beast just enough that it's sight can assist her. Her eyes glow a low red for a moment as Vitae fills her sclera and she has to stifle the urge to wrinkle her face into a mask of animal ferocity. The Beast's vision like a wave of fog begins to lay over Anna's own eyesight. She sees a group of feral looking wolves, regally covered in long wild black fur, surrounded by a mob of mangy skeletal dogs. The dogs significantly outnumber the wolves, but are diminutive in size relative to the unnaturally giant lupines. Anna counts about nine wolves in all as they sniff about some supernal rocky planescape, lapping long pink tongues against long and vampiric fangs.

(OOC: Using Auspex this time around costs one Vitae, and Anna is down to 8. She knows now that there are nine vampires in the building, the rest are all mortals or ghouls)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-24 at 11:49 AM.
    Show