New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC III) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Anna Wu

Anna withdrew out of line of sight and punched a message to the others via Pulse:
    There are roughly nine kindred inside, and at least twice as many mortals. Most of them will be ghouls.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl heads for the back door, inspecting it and the windows for any way to get an eye or ear into the place.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nova's reply comes a long minute after Anna's message. "That's a lot more Bruja than they normally travel with! Still... nine Kindred burn just as well as three do." Nova was right, the last time Anna and Karl had dealt with the Hell's Furies, it had only been three or four Kindred and a handful of Ghouls. After a moment, a second Pulse message arrives from Nova, "I leave it up to you if we act now, or try to wait it out, but it won't look good with your beloved Prince if we don't do this tonight."
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl grits his teeth, they needed to know what was going on in there to make an informed decision, time to take a risk. Reaching out to envelop the back door of the bar and muffle its sound and movements, he slowly, ever so slowly creaks it open, just enough to look within for now.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl slowly pulls the back door open, using whatever Mekhet darkness that had threaded itself into his soul to absorb the wretched sound of metal straining. Karl finds himself peering into a dirty kitchen, his eyes falling first on a pair of thugs, both mortals, bent over a tiled counter snorting cocaine. The sink is filled with dirty beer glasses, the tall plastic trashcan overflowing with food wrappers and rotting vegetation. A quick study of the two thugs tells Karl that they are MS-13, too old to be new recruits. They pay no attention to Karl or the straining door, completely ignorant of the intrusion.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl pauses for a moment, assessing the pair. Judging them highly unlikely to notice his presence, he sends a quick message to Anna, "Need to know what they're up to, kitchen looks clear enough, so I'm stepping in. Should be able to get eyes and ears on the main room from there."

Sliding the door open a little further, Karl steps into the room, watching the mortals warily in case they were surprisingly aware. He tries to find a position to spy on the main bar area, where he's assuming these people are gathered.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The two thugs pay no attention to Karl as he noiselessly slides into the room. As far as Karl can tell, these two are not Ghouls, just a couple of coked up senior gangsters. They begin to converse in elated Spanish, spitting out rapid fire words that Karl cannot follow. As he steps into the kitchen, Karl does pick up the scent of mortal blood, stale to the point of being pungently rotten to the Kindred's nostrils. This dried out stench is coming from one of the industrial size sinks.

Past the counter where the two mortals still stand is a double doors of poorly treated wood; the type that open in both directions to allow a server to go through with full hands. There are no portholes on the doors, which means Karl will either have to step through to observe. Even from this side of the kitchen, Karl can hear the heavy drowning noise of what might be distorted heavy metal music.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl wiggles an invisible finger in between the doors and then slowly pulls them towards him, just enough to open a crack and finally get eyes on the bar.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-31 at 02:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

From just the crack of the door open, Karl is relatively certain he does not have to worry as much about being detected by some vampire's Auspex, though anxiety still claws at the center of his chest. The sight of the bar room raises The Beast's hackles immediately. So many mortals and undead alike filled with the power of The Curse. A surprising number of individuals are dressed in the black leathers and denim of motorcycle toughs; mostly sporting some form of representation of the Hell's Furies. The smattering of MS-13 members stick out like a sore thumb in the bar, mostly youths dressed in hoodies or oversized flannels; many sporting a heavy decoration of facial tattoos, and a few openly carrying a pistol or machete tucked into their waistband.

Karl recognizes only a few Bruja. There's Hector, the squat monster with his signature purple bandana and gold plated teeth chuckling with a pair of Ghouls, and one of the other Bruja, Hacha. Hacha had "assisted" with the raid on The Spear's compound. Karl remembered his brutality with the axe well.

It's overwhelmingly loud in the bar. Somehow the jukebox has been rigged up to play at a thunderous volume, making it very hard to hear what anyone is saying.

(OOC: Please give me your best of Int/Wits + Politics/Empathy +1... and feel free to do anything you may please.)

While Karl is watching, both he and Anna receive the same message from Nova via the Pulse. "What's the plan??? We moving or not?" "If you don't hurry up, I'm coming down with my Ghouls and taking care of this!"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl merely glances at the phone to confirm the message wasn't a warning of some sort. He trusts Anna to respond for the moment. Carefully observing his surroundings, he tries to get a sense of exactly what is going on, this situation was... off.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Intelligence+politics+1 (8d10)[6][9][4][9][8][8][10][2](56)
    ten agains (8d10)[4][6][2][9][6][9][2][3](41)
    woohoo, exceptional success
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-01 at 09:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Anna replied to Nova:

“Karl is inside now, gathering intel. Will advise on weaknesses & plan of attack.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl's mind races as he observes the scene. Several thoughts occur to him, each one falling in line after the last like pieces of a puzzle falling into place. First was the size of the coterie of Bruja; there were far more of them than the last time Karl had been here. Karl had only met four of the biker Kindred, and had gotten the sense there wasn't many more. He had heard rumors that they kept to a tight circle of vampires, rarely embracing new Fledgelings into the gang, except when an old one got killed off. Furthermore, no matter how hard Karl looked, he couldn't find Gunner, whom he had interacted with the most. Nor could he find the unnamed female vampire who had appeared to be the gang leader. The last time they had been in town, it seemed that The Woman, had kept the others in check, and even Gunner had been more cool headed than Hector or Hacha. Was it possible that there was some sort of a coup that had led to the swelling in size of the coterie? It would also explain the gang's more erratic behavior in killing off Kindred the moment they came into town! In fact, as Karl studied the room, he got the strong sense that several of the unfamiliar Bruja were Fledgelings, and that these younger Kindred might actually have been sired from the ranks of the MS-13! Some of the whelps even sported the familiar gang tattoos.

Karl also observed one corner of the room, where a group of more senior looking MS-13 members sat with a vampire. This biker had a duffle bag filled with what looked like packets of white powder, which he was handing out to various members of the MS-13 in exchange for large sums of money.

Nova's reply came in almost immediately after Anna's message had gone out. "**** it! We're coming down now. We can decide together what we're doing. Don't do anything too stupid till we get here. I'll bring your friend Aisling."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

“Ok. There are sentries at the entrance on the west side,” Anna replied to Nova, “I’m about 300m away, to the north.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-02 at 06:24 PM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl keeps observing for now, and carefully retrieves his phone to type a few letters in between glances to make sure no one's getting near his 'hiding' spot, "MS13 gang presence confirmed, a large number of heavily armed humans. Their knowledge of kindred is unknown, as I am not observing any masquerade violations at present. The two senior and more level headed members of this Brujah group are missing, but Hector and Hacha are both here. They are very dangerous combatants, and quick tempered."

"Quick assumption given what I'm seeing, we are dealing with a splinter group that has recently broken with the Brujah's usual practices, including the restrictions on recruiting new members. Most of the other kindred here appear to be fledglings embraced from among MS13."

"The Brujah appear to be exchanging cocaine for cash at present. If the kine are going to be departing any time soon, they should show signs of it once the exchange is concluded. If they are not leaving soon, waiting a bit may still be beneficial, there's enough alcohol and drugs here to knock out a herd of Büffel."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-02 at 11:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

“Ok. There are sentries at the entrance on the west side,” Anna replied to Nova, “I’m about 300m away, to the north.”
    Nova's reply comes almost immediately (hopefully she wasn't driving), "Ghouls or blood bags? You may need to take care of them!"

(OOC: Are Karl's messages to Anna alone or the entire "group")

A bit longer observation confirms one of Karl's questions. In what is supposed to be a surreptitious moment, Hacha grabs hold of a Kine. The boy is likely no older than 12 or thirteen, trying his best to look comfortable with the whole situation. He drags the kid with the shaved head over to the corner of the room, and wrenching his arm upwards, bites into his wrist. Even from across the room filled with so many other smells, Karl's nostrils are almost immediately filled with the warm sweet metallic aroma of blood. Those who do catch sight of the Masquerade breach seem to try to do their best to ignore it, though more than a few Kine have trouble hiding their stares.

As Karl is watching, he hears from behind him, "Good ****, but we should probably get back to the party." His companion chuckles, an amped over excited laugh and replies, "**** ya. Love it when the Hell's Furies come to town."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl steps to the side, anticipating the two in the kitchen trying to step through his position in a moment. A moment later and he's on the phone again, "Masquerade violations confirmed, one of the brujah is openly feeding on a kid. No one here is surprised. No sign of the party breaking up as of yet."

He also answer's Nova's latest question, The sentries are both ghouls, I have an idea to dispose of them quietly, but it carries some risk of discovery. I suggest having your team in firing position first just in case."

"Looks like the back kitchen is about to be clear, if feasible, I suggest loading some of the fuel and explosives into here, have them detonate inside the building to kick things off."

As soon as the doorframe is clear, he'll step back to his previous position and resume observing.

Show
    All of Karl's recent messages have been to everyone involved.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-03 at 10:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl moves out of the way as the two high mortals stumble past him, pushing through the double doors out into the pub. Right when he gets back to the position Nova's reply buzzes in. It reads, "Take out the guards. Will be there in about 10 minutes. Get ready, we're gonna set the whole place on fire with the MS-13 in it! If they know about Us, then they are a risk to the city. Incinerate two birds with one match!!!"

(OOC: Both players please give me Int+Politics -1 )
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna replied to Nova: "Agreed. The Masquerade requires all of them to be destroyed. Perhaps we could keep one alive to question where the rest of the gang members are before killing him."

Spoiler
    Show
    int + politics - 1 (2d10)[8][1](9)
    10 again: (2d10)[3][4](7)
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-04 at 09:52 AM.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl pauses a moment, then heads out the back door. He'll quickly move back to Anna's position, "All right, we probably want to make sure we don't have any potential witnesses before making a move. I'm going to put the gas station clerk to sleep and deal with any cameras, did you see any signs of anyone else in the area?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Anna shook her head.

“No,” she replied, keeping an eye on the Devil’s Hole, “can you take care of the gas station on your own? Maybe take a container with you. Kind of convenient there’s a huge tanker of gasoline right across the road from this place.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-05 at 08:51 AM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anna and Karl continue discussing.

Spoiler: What Anna Knows
    Show
    One success. Nova seems more than a little anxious pursue taking out a group of MS-13 members. While there was the Masquerade to consider, Anna also knows that Nova is a Carthian and that the Carthians are the Covenant with the strongest ties to various street gangs. It of course would serve Anna's end to take out a group of MS-13 leaders. She had promised herself she would do her best to bring an end to organized crime in San Francisco after all. OOC: Beats will be given for taking out MS-13 members.

Spoiler: What Karl knows
    Show
    Three successes! Nova stood to gain a lot by taking out MS-13! The Invictus were heavily invested in trying to turn the gang to their own means, and had been hoping to use them against The Carthians. It was certainly unfortunate that they had gotten mixed up with The Hell's Furies, but perhaps not surprising. Karl had done his part in investigating MS-13 for The Tower, but could likely stand to earn some significant respect within the Covenant if he could turn this to their advantage. OOC: Beats will be given for working to fulfill Karl's second aspiration, finding ways to gain leverage over MS-13.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Gas station shouldn't be a problem, and its probably best if I handle it alone at least at first. I'll take out the cameras, but that system might have a backup storage I won't be able to find, best not to have you showing up on it before the things are no longer recording."

"And yeah, this place should prove useful, quite literally more fuel for the fire."

Still invisible, Karl heads for the gas station. Stepping inside, he ignores the clerk for the moment, and looks around for the office where the camera system is likely centered. He doesn't have much time to waste.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as Karl could tell there were several members of the MS-13 who were likely at least mid-level or higher level members of the gang. It was no one that Karl really recognized, but based on age and deference, it was easy to pick out the leaders. It had also seemed that those receiving the drugs had all fit this mold.

Still invisible, Karl heads for the gas station. Stepping inside, he ignores the clerk for the moment, and looks around for the office where the camera system is likely centered. He doesn't have much time to waste.
    Karl crosses the freeway, unimpeded by the minimal traffic. The unimpressive gas station is a wash of bone white concrete and fluorescent lighting. All four pumps, the lot, and the parking spaces in front of the convenience shop are all empty. Concrete pillars stand alone in an attempt to hold up a covering that no longer exists.

The shop is all yellow light and two half empty rows of long expired shelf snacks. The only person in the store is the clerk, a young man with skin that is somehow whiter in the shop light, and sandy receding hair almost the same color as his skin. He's absorbed in some trashy soap opera, playing on a tablet sitting next to the cash register.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl keeps moving past the clerk, heading straight for where he suspects the camera system is set up. He keeps running scenarios through his head. It would not be a huge loss if the gang members died here, but it would be a waste of potential resources.

He could contact the prince, get him to force Nova to help capture the gang as they leave rather than slaughtering them all. But even if it worked that would likely ruin his chances of a workable relationship with the new sheriff.

Better to try and separate and capture one or two leaders himself. But how? They were pretty entrenched and would be for a while, and then once Nova's crew showed up they'll be aiming to slaughter everything in the bar. Too bad he hadn't recognized anyone in particular, he might have been able to look up a phone number and pull them outside before the fireworks went off. Need to watch for an opportunity.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The most obvious security hands over the entrance; a pair of security cameras. One camera is directed at the door, meant to capture the face of anyone who walks into the room, the second pointed at the clerk's desk.

(OOC: Any further assessment of the shop's security will require a Wits + Larceny roll. I know Karl is using Obfuscate, but remember as well that cameras usually fail to ever catch a Vampire's face clearly... should he decide to do anything that will break his "invisibility". Is Karl going to do anything further in the shop, or just watch?)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Studying the gas station shop, it only takes Karl a moment to find the receiver he's looking for. There's a black box plugged into the wall behind the clerk's desk with the logo "Quicksafe" in blue; the same logo easily visible on the cameras placed throughout the room. He also spied a second pair of cameras set up above the clerk's desk, pointed down the two isles of junk food.

To Karl's satisfaction, he watches as the bleary eyed clerk begins to nod off; not that he had been at all aware of the predator Shadow standing right in front of him.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl moves behind the desk, taking a look at the box. If it is as simple as he suspected, he yanks the plug out, then turns to the half asleep clerk, falling on him and using the kiss to quell resistance while he puts the boy in a choke hold. They need this over quickly.

When it is done and the clerk out of commission, he steps out and up to Anna, "All right, it should be safe to use that place as a firebase and for more supplies now, the clerk's sleeping through this and the cameras are down. Next up are those two guards."

"I suggest that we pair up and take them down together, split them up and take em two on one. If one of us begins with a kiss, the other should be able to finish the job quickly while they're stupefied."

"I'm thinking that we make some sort of noise around the corner, and then if they split up, take the one that goes to investigate. If they both go, take the one in the back. What do you think?"

Show
    Taking 2 bp to fill up from the clerk

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Sounds good," Anna said, "be ready to obfuscate them if they're going to yell."
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The sales clerk never sees the Mekhet coming and offers no resistance as he drops into the fugue of the kiss. For just a moment Karl is almost lost in the pleasure of the feed, stepping away from the events of the night and his purpose in planning to lay waste to a number of Kindred. Not terribly starved for blood, Karl takes just enough to satisfy his hunger, before letting the boy slump over.

(OOC: Not to drag things out, but Daishain please give me a Wits + Int + 3 Roll)

Standing behind the desk, Karl can see that next to the television where the boy had been watching his soap opera is a monitor with the same "Quicksafe" logo printed across the bottom of the frame. The screen shows four boxes, all of which have gone black. "Signal lost" flashes in yellow lettering in the top left corner of the screen.

(OOC: I think whomever is making the distraction should make a Presence + either Subterfuge or Expression roll. )
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods and cloaks Anna using some of the energy taken from the clerk and the pair head off.

They look for an opportunity to attract the guard's attention. Something innocuous enough to not cause real alarm but they'll want to look into anyways. Perhaps a trash can that a raccoon might cause a ruckus with digging into.

Show
    Wits+Int+3 (10d10)[6][1][1][5][6][4][9][2][6][10](50)
    ten again (10d10)[1][8][6][3][4][5][10][1][6][2](46)
    Anna has a better shot on the presence roll so go ahead.