A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default RC's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC II

RC's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time II
    A game for up to 5 players continuing at level 3/4
    Previous thread: IC I - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Episode One: The Kokiri Emerald

"In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule... Long have I served as the guardian spirit...

I am known as the Deku Tree...

The children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me...

Navi... Navi, where art thou? Come hither....

Oh, Navi the fairy... Listen to my words, the words of the Deku Tree... Dost thou sense it? The climate of evil descending upon this realm... Malevolent forces even now are mustering to attack our land of Hyrule...

For so long, the Kokiri Forest, the source of life, has stood as a barrier, deterring outsiders and maintaining the order of the world... But...before this tremendous evil power, even my power is as nothing.

It seems the time has come for the children of fate to begin their journey... The youths whose destiny it is to lead Hyrule to the path of justice and truth...

Navi...go now! Find our young friends and guide them to me... I do not have much time left. Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the forest, nay, the world, depends upon thee!"

Malia and Zafi:

You are all members of the Kokiri, a race of diminutive forest dwellers who have the appearance of Hylian children who never grow up. Their age is unrelated to physical appearance; everyone looks about twelve. Time moves strangely in the woods anyway, so age is pretty meaningless. Kokiri never leave the forest, as to do so they would die.

The Kokiri live in Kokiri Forest side by side with the fairies who are their friends, protectors, and teachers. Fairies appear as 3" balls of glowing light with diaphonous wings, or tiny humanoids on close inspection. Zafi has a fairy companion of his own: Gosi.

Kokiri Forest is watched over by The Great Deku Tree. For as long as your people have stories The Great Deku Tree has always protected your people, using his magic to provide for you and turn away outsiders from his glade near the village.

But this afternoon rumours are circulating like wildfire that The Great Deku Tree is sick. By now it is known that he sent a fairy to summon Xenia, Vikka, Zippo, Weaver and Nippi to see him earlier, and that Xenia and Vikka returned about an hour later in tears, wailing about some sort of curse before locking themselves in their tree-huts and refusing to speak to anyone! Also, no-one has seen Nemi since yesterday!

By now a crowd has gathered around the start of the forest track to The Great Deku Tree's Glade, where self-appointed village mayor Mido and a few of his friends are attempting to maintain order and prevent anyone from investigating, insisting the track isn't safe and that The Great Deku Tree has instructed him to keep people back.

You wander over to see what all the fuss is about.

Weaver, Nemi, Nippi, Koli and Navi:

You all did your best, but it wasn't enough to save The Great Deku Tree. Before he passed he told you a story about how the three Golden Goddesses Farore, Nayru and Din created the world, leaving behind the three sacred golden triangles of the Triforce in The Sacred Realm. The Deku Tree also spoke of a wicked man of the desert who seeks the sacred Triforce and cast the killing curse upon The Deku Tree. With his final words The Great Deku Tree entreated you to stop this evil man and journey to Hyrule Castle to meet the Princess of Destiny!

You are all shaken by The Great Deku Tree's death, and by Zippo's decision to remain behind as guardian of the Kokiri in The Deku Tree's place. Mido might have something to say about that. But none of that stops you resolving to do as The Deku Tree bid you, although maybe in the morning after a good night's rest and recovery. The path from The Great Deku Tree's glade back to Kokiri Village isn't a long one, and the path is still littered with the remains of the withered Deku Babas you slew on your way to your first meeting with The Deku Tree.

But as you approach the village you sense a commotion. A crowd has gathered around the start of the trail to The Deku Tree's glade, and Mido (self-appointed mayor) is doing his best to hold everyone back.

All:

As the crowd reacts to Weaver, Nemi, Nippi, Koli and Navi's appearance, Mido turns towards them. "Hey! Wee! What did you do?! The Great Deku Tree...did he...die?"

From the crowd come several more shouts!

"What?! The Great Deku Tree is dead?!!"

"What did you do?!!"

"How could you do that?!!"

"What are we going to do now?!! Who will protect us?!!"

The situation appears quite delicate.

What do you do?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-09-04 at 02:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: RC's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC II

Weaver was lost in his thoughts, and probably would have missed the commotion until he walked into someone ... except that Mido called him Wee. Stopping abruptly, Weaver stomped his foot and shouted.

"Don't. Call. ME. WEE!

He held his arms down at his side, clenching and unclenching his fists as he closed his eyes and counted to farkel. "Noni, obbi, turnsie, arkle ... nebbers, ebbers, loonie, farkel"

With a cleansing breath, Weaver opened his eyes and scanned the crowd, only speaking if everyone was quiet. "Everyone, be calm. We'll answer your questions, but no shouting. Yes, the Great Deku Tree passed. He ..." His composure began to break a little as he felt the sorrow return. "He, um ... died a little bit ago. Because of bad stuff. A ... ah ... curse! That's it, a curse! And, um, the bad Queenie helped, but she, um, was just sucking his roots. And those Scrubs, um, they were bad, too ... and the skultulas! They were no good. And they, uh ... they were all running around down ... in ... um, his basement? But they weren't ... see, the Deku said ... well ... it was the wicket man from the desert, okay!"

He glared at the crowd, especially Mido, then continued. "So we need to rest ... and, um, get some food for a trip. Cuz we have to stop him. The wicker ... ah, wicked man. And save the Princess. Or she saves us. It doesn't matter. Zippo will protect you. And, um, Xenia. And ... er ... probably Vikka. Maybe. But Zippo for sure.

Soooooo .... um ... where's Hyrule Castle?"
    He looked at the 'mayor,' certain the other kokiri knew the answer.

What a leader!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    WIP - HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+7, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 14Effects: Evasion
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nippi blinks in astonishment at Weaver's outburst, then (carefully following the "no shouting rule") adds, "The Great Deku Tree said ... snff ... said He was doomed even before He called us ... I feel awful we couldn't save him anyway ... an' now we have to go, like, save the whole world. The Tree thought we could do it and that's the only reason I'm gonna try. I hafta try, even though I'm just a kid." Nippi's sorrow and uncertainty are plain as day in his hanging head and slumped shoulders.

Spoiler: If anyone tries to blame his friends for letting the Tree die--
    Show
    Nippi will be quick to interject, "You just ask Navi! She was there, and nobody's more dedicated to the Great Deku Tree than her!"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Drooler and Malia sit, lounging in the shade of a thick oak, just beyond the group of kokiri assembled to await the adventurers. While they wait, Drooler lounges half asleep, proving that his name is well-deserved with each exhalation through his great, gently flapping jowls. The trim, green-haired girl lounges with her back against her trusty pup, golden eyes turned up towards the sky. Moments before the group emerges from the woods, a particularly large stag beetle catches her eye as it scuttles up the trunk of a nearby tree. Immediately, Malia bolts upright, a grin of pure delight creasing her face as she steps forward to greet this new friend!

But just then, Drooler stirs, his ears perking up and tail beginning to wag as he turns to the pathway to the Great Deku's sanctum. "What is it, boy? You smell Koli?" Malia's voice is slightly teasing, but an onlooker would have a hard time deciding whether Malia or her dog looked more excited by the others' return.

She spends the next few seconds calming Drooler, who playfully bobs and dodges in anticipation of a playdate with another pup. Whether or not Koli agrees, Drooler has clearly decided that they are friends. "I know, Drooler! I'm excited too! I can't WAIT to hear all their stories about the Great Deku tree!" She gasps slightly, putting a hand over her mouth to cover her gigantic grin, "Do you think they saw any new BUGS?! Oh, and they have NEMI with them!!"

Shortly after the group emerges, her hand returns to her mouth, stifling a gasp of an entirely different sort. The Great Deku tree... dead? Malia finds herself speechless as tears well up in her eyes, and she turns to bury her face in Drooler's neck, wiping away her tears in his mane.

But at the mention of a curse, a wicked (or was it "wicker"?) man of the desert, and a mission that was the Great Deku's last wish, her grief turns cold, focused on this last mission that the Deku Tree had given them. But... a desert? This "Hyrule Castle" and a princess? Those... didn't sound like things you'd find in Kokiri Forest...

"But... Weaver... You can't leave the Forest! Whatever the Great Deku asked of you, he couldn't want us to..." despite her anger and grief, she notices her slip. "He couldn't have wanted you to leave here! That... well... you'd die, right? That can't be the Great Deku Tree's last wish!!"
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-09-05 at 06:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi had been standing a bit to the side. She wasn't at ease in large crowds and this was not really a nice time either. But when she heard Malia, she moved closer.

"I doubt we will drop dead when we set foot out of the forest," she said, "the Great Deku Tree wouldn't have asked us to do this if He knew it was that deadly. We will just have to be careful. But I will do what He asked us and bring what He gave..."

Here she showed the Spiritual Stone of the Forest she still had.

"... to the Princess of destiny. I've seen a castle outside the forest in my dreams, so I feel it's something I have to do. And the Great Deku Tree spoke of danger if this wicked man of the desert gets what he wants, so better to try and prevent it."
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-09-06 at 12:40 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A hush falls over the crowd at Weaver's outburst, with even Mido taken briefly aback. He looks like he's about to riposte, but then Weaver launches into his confused rambling and nobody seems sure how to react!

"That's... that's the worst rubbish I've ever-" Mido begins, not seeming very convinced. But then Nippi interjects with his heartfelt pronouncement and the quiet settles down again as a melancholy atmosphere grips the mood.

"But... but The Great Deku Tree can't really be dead... can he?" someone asks from the crowd.

"We Kokiri will die if we leave the forest! You're not going to try to leave the forest, are you?!" someone else agrees with Malia!

"It's... it's true." Navi says hesitatingly. "The Great Deku Tree is dead... He said there was nothing anyone could have done..."

Nemi counters that The Deku Tree wouldn't ask them to do anything immediately fatal, but Mido is distracted, approaching Weaver to grab at his scabbard. "Eh, what's that?! Is that the Kokiri Sword?!"

"And what's THAT?!" he exclaims, jumping back and letting go as Nemi produces that green and shining stone. "Is that the Kokiri Emerald?! GOOD GRIEF!" He takes a moment to gather himself, clearly embarrassed by his outburst. "Well, even with all that stuff, wimps are still wimps, huh? Fine! Go on your suicide mission! I, the great Mido, will never again accept you as one of us!"

Before you can respond, Mido begins to wander off towards his treehouse, muttering to himself "Shoot! How did they get to be the favourites of Saria and The Great Deku Tree? Huh?! Grumble... grumble..."

With uneasy glances, a few of the gathered Kokiri begin to follow and then the rest of the crowd begons to break up.

"I can't believe the Great Deku Tree is gone!"

"What are we going to do now?!"

"M-Mido will protect us...?" someone suggests.

"Um... yeah..."

Malia and Zifa, the dream Nemi described sounds familiar to you:
    Spoiler: The Dream
    Show

You are standing in a storm, dark and violent. Ahead of you perhaps 50ft of high stone wall is illuminated by twin flames sputtering in their sconces either side of a great wooden drawbridge over a wide water filled moat. Beyond the range of the lights there is only darkness.

With a great clanking the drawbridge begins to descend on massive chains, slamming down with a boom that shakes the ground. Hoofbeats muffled by the rain approach and out of the fortress gallops a white horse carrying a woman and a girl, both in fine clothes. The girl looks desperately back at you until the horse carries her beyond your sight.

As you turn back towards the drawbridge you are startled by the presence of a dark skinned man with red hair in black armour and riding a large black warhorse. He raises his left hand indifferently towards you and a yellow-white glow forms in his palm. The light quickly builds until it is all you can see. And then you awake!

"So, uh, Hyrule Castle is pretty far from here," Navi says to Weaver, Nippi and Nemi, although Zifa and Malia are close enough to overhear. "It will take several hours to get to the the edge of the forest and then Hyrule field will take a couple of days to cross. If you need supplies for the trip there's the forest shop, although you should be able to buy better gear once we get to Hyrule Castle Town. I think we should start out first thing tomorrow."

This is the opportunity for Malia and Zifa to join the party, and to purchase any supplies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver blushed at Mido's dismissal, but embarrassment gave way to anger as the man tried to grab the sword. Stepping away, he glared at the self-proclaimed mayor, watching him with narrowed eyes until the other kokiri was gone. He immediately turned to the crowd and tried to point at Zippo, but remembered the big man was rescuing the Scrubs.

"Hey, don't listen to that chumba. He's mad because ... well ... I dunno, but he's mad. If you need something, um, go to Zippo. Yeah! Zippo will help everybody! Now go home and, um ... think about what you've done. I mean about what we've done. I mean, about what has happened. And ... yeah. Just go."

Moving over to chat with Navi, he listened intently, then nodded. "So get gear ... food ... and, um ... go?"

What's the total for treasure? Do we have a post with a running list? I'm a little off today ...
    Show
    WIP - HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 14Effects: Evasion

8. - Top - End - #8

Nippi scoffs a bit -- at least outwardly -- at the idea that kokiri have to stay in the forest. "You know, I've been way out in the forest plenty of times, and it never felt different to me. Never saw big bad monsters out there, either. I think we'll be fine traveling." On the other hand ... well, 'traveling' used to mean half an hour, not multiple days. And what will happen when they get where they're going? Very hard to say. That's part of why Nippi isn't saying it.

"I don't know what's wrong with Mido either, Weaver, but I bet he won't part with anything for cheap now. We'd better take just the minimum we need ... y'know, an extra outfit, a couple days of food, something to hold water, a tent and something to curl up in to sleep. Oh, and maybe a lantern. Not much. You've already got a good blade," Nippi adds with a big proud smile.

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zifa has stood slack jawed as the party of Kokiri related the tale. He couldn’t believe it. It seemed like the start of an old story, but instead of having a fire in his belly about righting wrongs he felt...cold...empty...sad. The Great Deku was gone. The protector, mentor, friend...gone. He stood shocked as more of the story was told.

Then the emerald...

A shared dream...

He sat down on the ground. The weight of destiny pushing down. He knew...he knew he was leaving the forest. All the lessons. All the knowledge, maps, books...it was for this. He was sure he was one of the few Kokiri that new of Dodongos, Wolfos, and Gorons. Certainly he knew the most about Moblins and the history of the heroes and the Hylian royal family...at least the royal family from a few thousand years ago.

The crowd dispersed and he was left sitting on the ground. Gosi fluttered about him. Zifa stood...and turned to the heroes that had heard The Great Demi’s last words.

”Gosi and I are coming with you. I had the same dream about a princess and an scary evil man. I can be a big help. I know a lot about the world outside the woods. I’ve read every book there is in the village. I have studied all the maps. I am good with a hammer, Gosi taught me how to fight like an ancient Hylian last summer...and I have some armor.” The statement was just that. A statement, a declaration of intent. Zifa and Gosi were now part of this.
    Last edited by OnceUponAnAxe; 2020-09-08 at 10:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Still somewhat overwhelmed by the news of the Great Deku Tree's death, Malia stands stunned as the group of onlookers begins to disperse. Even Drooler seems somehow affected by the news -- or at least by the demeanor of Malia and the other kokiri. He whimpers softly, nudging Malia's clenched fist with his great muzzle before giving her forearm a gentle lick.

Malia seems to snap out of her stupor at Drooler's worried gesture, glancing down and smiling at her friend. She gives him a sad smile even as another tear drops from her eye. Wiping it away, she takes a few timid steps up to the returning adventurers.

"I, umm... I had a dream, too, and..." she starts, her voice nervous and her eyes unable to meet those of the others. She takes a deep breath, shuts her eyes, and blurts out: "I WANT TO COME WITH YOU!" She jolts slightly, hearing the unintentional volume of her own voice, then breaks into a gigantic, embarrassed smile that forces her golden eyes shut and sends a few final, silver tears streaking down her face.

"I mean... if you'll have me along. I'm pretty good at stick fights! And, um... I know LOTS about bugs and birds and, umm, even about things that don't live in the forest!" She pats proudly at the thick, leatherbound book at her belt, from which she's always reading and adding her own notes.

Seemingly more confident, she starts again, now looking the adventurers in the eye. "I just... if this is what the Great Deku Tree wanted, I can't just sit here and wait, you know? Besides, if that mean man was the one who hurt the Great Deku, well... we gotta find him! And I wanna hear what he has to say!!!"

Drooler, his tail now wagging again, let's out a single, great "WOOF", which gets a nervous laugh out of Malia. The pup begins panting and glances back and forth between Koli and Navi as the glowing sprite dances in the air.

Malia beams another great, eye-creasing smile as she chuckles softly. "Besides, I don't know what Drooler would do here without Koli!"
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-09-08 at 11:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

When Drooler barks, Koli stands up and goes to stand alongside him, so close that her thick fur is squooshed. She pants happily, not seeing any reason for concern -- there's just no understanding kokiri. Nippi says, "Koli agrees. I'm glad you're coming too, Malia, and you, Zifa, Gosi. The more people who come, the fewer ..." He sighs. "The fewer I'll miss."

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi wasn't sure that taking them was a good idea, but then she wasn't sure that any of them going was a good idea. They had to, of course, as the Great Dekku Tree had asked them to, but that didn't mean there wasn't any danger.

"Yeah, just basic supplies for now," Nemi said, "we'll see for other stuff later."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

With the crowd dispersed you are free to go about your business, chat some more, pick up more supplies from the forest shop, or just go home to rest until the morning. The village is filled with nervous chatter.

"You're not allowed to leave the forest! The Great Deku Tree said that if a Kokiri leaves the woods, he or she will die!"

"By the stone. Pick it up! By the stone. Pick it up! Mean old Mido... he made me pick up the rocks in front of his house."

"The Great Deku Tree was our father, the forest guardian, and he gave life to all of us Kokiri! I wonder if the Great Deku Tree gave life to everything in the forest, I mean in addition to us Kokiri?"

"Hi Weaver! Get any cool scars yet?!" Fado calls down from a perch high in the middle of the village. Weirdo.

"Hey Nippi! That meanie, Mido, made me cut the grass at Saria's house. Mido told Saria he would do it so she would like him, but I'm the one doing all the work! You and Saria are close friends, so will you help me cut the grass? I'll let you keep anything that you find while cutting it."

"My sister took some Rupees and went shopping at the forest shop. Tee hee! Speaking of Rupees, a clear one is worth one, a green one is worth ten, a blue one is worth fifty, and a red one is worth two hundred! Hee hee!"

"We Kokiri will die if we leave the forest! You're not going to try to leave the forest, are you?!"

"Mido is very upset! Did something happen to him?"

"What? Where are you going?! To the castle? Where is the castle?"

"The Great Deku Tree...did he...die?"

"Zifa, are you going to go away?"

"Mido said he was too busy to run the shop today! Do you need something? If you lose your shields, will you come back?"

There are also several signs posted around the village:

Advertisement Sign: "Visit The house of The Know-It-All Brothers to get answers to all your item-related questions!!"

Public Service Announcement Sign: "Don't Recklessly cut signs! Read Them Carefully! - Mido"

Sign by the Village Pond: "Stepping Stones in the Pond. If you hop around on the stones, you'll become happier!"

Sign by the Western Trail: "Forest folk shall not leave these woods."

Sign by the Eastern Trail: "Just ahead: Great Deku Tree's Meadow."

Sign by the Northern Trail: "The Lost Woods."

14. - Top - End - #14

"Haha, thanks!" Another gigantic smile forces her eyes shut. "I'm nervous about what we'll find, but I'm really glad to be able to help with the Great Deku's last wish!"

She glances down at Koli and Drooler, the latter of whom is now bobbing slightly even while he sits -- too excited by Koli to sit still, but too well-trained to break out into full play mode just yet.

"I guess I should go get some supplies," she says as she glances at the impressively-garbed adventurers! Weaver's beautifully shining sword in particular catches her eye. With a slight giggle: "I guess I'll need something a little better than my normal fighting stick, huh?"

"If it's okay with you, Nippi, I'm sure Drooler would love to spend some time playing with Koli."
    An excited WOOF at the word 'play' confirms her assumption. "Besides, I don't think he'd be great at shopping!"

On her way to the store, Malia glances at each of the signs she passes. The stepping stones suddenly seem really attractive; after all, they could all use a little more happiness on this sad day. She takes a few seconds to carefully leap from stone to stone, smiling as she reaches the other end.

She'll then go shopping, where she'll pick up the starting equipment listed on her character sheet (which she probably hadn't invested in before deciding to leave the Forest) and discovers that the armor she tries on just doesn't feel right. She'll then return home to pick up her "fighting stick", having found that metal swords were just too expensive! She then proceeds to spend the rest of the afternoon getting a feel for her shiny new shield, sparring with an imagined partner in the shade of her favorite oak tree.
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-09-10 at 03:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Before bed, she'll forage around to collect supplies for the coming trip. After all, there was no telling what they'd find beyond the Forest's edge...

Spoiler: Survival Check
    Show
    (1d20+9)[11]

Result: finds enough food/water for 1 character's daily needs on a 10, +1 more person for every 2 above that

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi had just gotten some extra supplies, so she would have enough to see them through the first days. She also had no idea how far it would be to castle Hyrule. Then she wandered around, trying to answer questions about the adventure they had been on (although in her case the start had been involuntary) and the Great Deku Tree. When she noticed the signs, she shook her head and after carefully reading it (as it was mentioned), she used the sign at the western trail for practicing her kicks and hits.

Wandering around, she came upon Malia practicing.
    "Hey," she said, "you want to practice with me? If you want to go with us, you best have some extra practice against someone who hits back. It's not the same otherwise, trust me."
    She had learned that the hard way with the Skultalas and she was sure the others, except maybe Zippo, had too.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-09-10 at 03:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Malia jolts a little bit at Nemi's approach, bungling the swing she was taking with her good ol' fighting stick.

Turning as Nemi finishes her offer, Malia smiles with excitement and heartfelt gratitude. "Oh, gosh, that'd be great! I'm pretty good with my fighting stick already. I, umm... I couldn't afford a real sword, so I guess this'll have to do for now..." She blushes, looking down and off to the side, genuinely embarrassed at her feeling of inadequacy.

Looking back up, "But I'd love it if you could help me learn to avoid getting hit! I'm not so good with this new shield yet (be careful with your punches and kicks; it's spikey!), and I'd really love to learn some of your dodges and dips! You're just so graceful, and the armor in the shop didn't really feel right, so I could really use the help!"

Positively BEAMING: "And after that, we can talk about all the bugs and plants and things you saw in the Great Deku Tree!" It doesn't occur to Malia, not even for a moment, that Nemi might not be as excited about the wildlife as she herself is.
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-09-10 at 03:43 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll try," Nemi said, "but I've never used a shield, so I can't help you much with that."

While she showed Malia some moves and tried to hit her while she dodged or used her shield so she could learn to use it, she talked about skultellas and Ghomas and deku shrubs. She hoped that talking about it, especially 'queenie' would scare the other Kokiri off from joining them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

this last sentence shows that Nemi isn't all that good at reading people.

She will also only do nonlethal damage if she hits (I can choose that as a monk).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zifa felt reassured as he saw the others move off to gather supplies for their journey outside the woods. He turned to Gosi an awkward half smile crossing his lips. He was forcing it. Trying to seem as excited as he could. “I guess we should go and collect up our stuff. I gotta get the hammer and my whittlinngs. You gotta get that acorn shell helmet and the thorn sword. Come on, we can be back before anyone notices we even left.”

”Sure Sure! We gotta get your pack and that old book. Plus all the stuff for wandering! We are going on an adventure! Like a real deal adventure! Think about all the cool stuff we’ll see. Come on SLOW POKE!” Gosi bobbed and weaved about as he spoke with Zifa. Then he zipped off as fast as he could, leaving the dark skinned boy in a cloud of sparkling lights and dust.

Their path took them near Malia and Nemi’s practice bought. He shouted encouragement and continued on. He caught Gosi and the fairy ride Zifa’s shoulders for the rest of the jaunt back home. He gathered his things, wrote a good bye letter and placed it on his bed. He wasn’t sure who it was for...but he wrote it...he left it...and hurried back towards the group.
    Last edited by OnceUponAnAxe; 2020-09-10 at 10:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Malia and Zifa agree to join the party! The party goes about gathering supplies, skipping across stones in the pond, and play fighting at the forest activity centre.

Malia lands the first touch past Nemi's guard, but one of Nemi's next punches clocks Malia right on the ear! Malia's next touch is just as accurate, but Nemi then lands a kick that knocks Malia on her butt to equalise! Maybe that shook Malia's confidence a bit, because her next thrust with her fighty stick is a little wide, and Nemi finishes the fight with a strike that just clips Malia's shoulder.

The spectators give a round of applause for the end of the match! That was much closer than anyone thought it would be! Nemi sure had a flurry of attacks, but Malia's defences were really tough! Both Nemi and (particularly) Malia come away a little sore, but it was a good match and definitely worth the practice!

And when Malia gets around to going to the shop she finds she has fifty extra Rupees in her purse!

The party gets some rest, and (in Malia and Nemi's case) sleeps off their bruises. Early next morning Navi comes by each of your houses to wake you up, and you congregate by the western trail. It's still early enough that there isn't anyone else to see you off and, with last glances at the village where you've spent all your lives (if you wish), you depart without fanfare.

The woodland trail is still dark in the pre-dawn light as the canopy of the forest is dense and blocks most of the light from the lightening sky. At this point close to the village the trail is still frequently used and it isn't too long before you come to a bridge spanning a chasm running north-south, maintained by the Kokiri for ease of foraging and hunting in the western part of the woods. You've just about crossed the half way point when you hear a voice call out from behind you.

"Oh, you're leaving..."

It's Saria! Saria is regarded as a motherly figure by the other Kokiri and the person that they turn to for advice. Because of her kindhearted nature, she is very well-liked by the people of Kokiri village, especially Mido, who follows her around like a devoted puppy trying to win her approval. Out of all of you though Saria is closest to Nippi, having spent many hours playing the ocarina together, but all of you would consider her a friend. Everyone does.

Saria pauses to lean against the bridge and catch her breath. She's clearly been running to catch up!

"I knew...you all would leave the forest...someday... Because you are different from me and my other friends... But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever...won't we? Nippi... I crafted this ocarina for you... I want you to have it... Please take good care of it!"

Saria holds out her hand, offering up a small ocarina for Nippi to take. It's finely crafted, with delicate engraving of fairies and woodland creatures.

"I'm sorry I don't have anything for the rest of you... I didn't know you were going to go..."

Nippi got the fairy ocarina! It is a masterwork musical instrument!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-09-12 at 03:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zifa looks at the others. Takes them in as Saria’s words washed over him “..different from my other friends.” She was right. The weapons, armor, skills, hobbies...everything about this group was different from the average Kokiri...he’ld never noticed it before...not truly. “We’ll be back. Just gotta sort out the fellow with the red hair. He’s probably from the west...they have darker skin near the desert. The sages say it’s the extra sun. He looked earnest, and it seemed as if he had more to say, but he left it there. Sun, sages, red hair.

22. - Top - End - #22

After their bout the previous day, Malia is winded, but smiling that same sincere, face-consuming smile that's shown her appreciation for almost each day she's lived. "Oh my gosh, Nemi, that was great! I definitely feel a bit more confident now, so thanks. I hope I didn't hit you too hard, but I think you were the clear winner, tee hee! Do you mind if I take a look at where I hit you? I've gotten conked around enough to be pretty good at mending scrapes and scratches."

If Nemi allows it, Malia will cast Lesser Vigor on her sparring partner. After all, Malia WASN'T using non-lethal strikes

Leaving the Forest the next morning, Malia sits crosslegged on Drooler's back. Although not using a saddle, she seems completely unbothered, almost a born beastrider. She's somewhat distracted by her thoughts, anxious at the prospect of leaving home and encountering the wide world -- but equally excited by the new chances for learning and play they'd find there!

At the sound of Saria's approach, she slips effortlessly from Drooler's back, just as the beast turn and lets out one of his great, excited 'WOOFs'.

It was clear that Saria and Nippi are having a moment, so Malia gives them a chance to exchange well-wishes and gifts. After, however, both Malia and Drooler rush up to the green-haired youth. Malia clasps her by the shoulders, smiles, then gives Saria a big old hug. Drooler, right in step, gives Saria a few good, slobbery licks on her hands and arms before returning to the rest of the group.

"I'm so glad you came to see us off, Saria! Drooler and I will miss you, but we promise we'll be back just as soon as we've taken care of the Great Deku's mission! Until then, take care of all the others; and watch out for that Mido, okay? I heard he's trying to take credit for other Kokiri's hard work, just to impress you!"

With a last squeeze on the shoulders, Malia smiles her best eye-closing grin and turns away from her old friend. Adventure awaits!

23. - Top - End - #23

"Gosh, Saria, thanks! You know me, I'll be playing it every day while I'm gone -- and I'll think of you whenever I do!" Nippi is clearly impressed with the gift but maybe a little socially lost. Being one of the more self-sufficient kokiri in the village, he has little practice in accepting gifts from others. "Uh, I'm sorry I didn't have the time to help cut your grass like I heard you wanted. Anyway, thanks, thank you a lot!"

When Malia and Drooler approach, he leaves Saria with a quick hug. "I'll come back. I promise."

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi said nothing, staying a bit to the side. She wasn't the most social of Kokiri and never had been. She liked Saria well enough, but she was less at ease expressing it. So she just stayed to the side a bit, saying nothing and waiting to move on.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver walked quietly, lost in thought for a moment. He glanced at the group, his brow furrowed. Two newcomers stood in place of old friends who decided to stay. He scratched his ear, uncertain how he felt about it. Zifa and Malia has just joined his quest (their quest) without so much as a ‘By your leave’ or ‘If you please.’ But they both had the dream, which means the Tree probably would have called them. Now there were four new members, with Drooler and Gosi accompanying the other two.

Malia was alright, if a little too bubbly for Weaver. But she was still very nice. Drooler always seemed to find hidden treats, so it was hard to sneak sweets away with him AND Koli around!

Zifa was a different issue. The knowledgeable kokiri was nice enough, but Weaver didn’t always appreciate a know-it-all who would correct his stories. Especially when Weaver was trying to make a point with ...extra details. But both he and Gosi were definitely accepted by everyone as experts, so Weaver wouldn’t make a big deal about them.

Sighing inwardly, Weaver peered over the bridge when Saria appeared in a rush, calling to them. He turned and waved hesitantly, his gaze darting to the path behind her looking for Mido. He nodded to her with a half smile as she spoke, not saying much as she gifted Nippi with a fine flute.

"Thanks Saria. Tell Zippo we, um, miss him and stuff. And take care of, uh, well ... everybody!"

Sorry for the delay - got behind, then got embarrassed and didn’t post. My bad!

Would a belt of ultimate athleticism fall under 75% off?

Show
    WIP - HPs: 24; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +6 R +8 W +4 Init +6 Move: 30’
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +10/+9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +11/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5, SoH +9, EA +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3; Stones 14
    Effects: Evasion

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zifa moves closer to Weaver. He had chosen the story teller as his traveling companion for the walk to Hyrule Castle. “What can you tell me about this Queenie and the creatures you all battled inside The Great Deku? We’re they something from a story you’ve heard? We’re they like bugs or rats? How big? Did they bite? Do you have a bite mark?”

Gosi hovered next to the two of them and set out a series of his own questions. ”The Kokiri Sword...that’s a heroes weapon. A very real thing of legend. You wear it well. Do you know how to use it? I can teach you. I knew a hero that wielded a sword like that once. If you like, you should join me and Zifa in our daily exercise.”
    Last edited by OnceUponAnAxe; 2020-09-14 at 10:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm glad you like it!" Saria giggles, returning Nippi's awkward hug and Malia's more enthusiastic one happily, and then she fusses Koli and Drooler, giving them plenty of scritches behind the ears.

"What?! Mido is making people do chores for me?! Ohh... That bum! I don't know why he's always so mean to everyone!" She grumbles hearing about Mido's bullying. "I'll give him a piece of my mind...!"

"But... that's for me to worry about. Everyone... be careful, ok? I have a feeling... a feeling that this quest The Great Deku Tree gave you will be long and difficult. Just... come back and visit occasionally, ok?!"

With that last goodbye Saria stands back and waves as you leave, crossing the bridge and continuing deeper into the forest. The trails from this point on are less frequently used. Forest critters stop in their daily routines to watch you curiously as you go. Gradually the trail weakens into a path only animals use, and several times Navi stops you all to consult with Nippi and Malia which way to go. Things become easier as the sun starts to rise high enough that its rays penetrate the canopy giving a reliable bearing in your journey west. The party is free to chat among yourselves as the sun climbs and the trees gradually thin until abruptly there are no more trees in front of you! Rolling grassy plains larger and more open than anything you've ever seen spread out before you!

"Hoo Hoot! Kids... Look up here!"

Above you on the last branch before the edge of the forest perches a giant brown owl a pale face and enormous headmaster-ly eyebrow feathers!

"It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times!"

Go straight North from here and you will see a ranch on the left. Keep going and you will come to Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there... If you are lost and don't know which way to go, just remember... North! Did you get all that? All right then, I'll see you around! Hoot hoot hoot ho!"

Message delivered, the enigmatic owl takes flight with a noisy fluttering of feathers, ascending in a spiral before heading back east over the forest towards Kokiri Village.

"I knew that..." Navi comments bemusedly, breaking the silence.

"Anyway! Yes, if we go directly north from here we can probably make it to castle town by tomorrow afternoon, but we'll have to camp overnight in the fields. If you don't want to sleep in the fields we might find lodging at Lon Lon Ranch tonight, but it's a little out of our way. If we do that then we might not make it to castle town until after dark tomorrow. In these troubled times I've heard they raise the drawbridge at dusk so that no-one can enter or leave!"

What will it be?

28. - Top - End - #28

"Oh my gosh, a talking owl!" Malia is positively enraptured by this new forest friend -- and positively devastated when he flits off instead of deciding to accompany them and chat. Crossing her arms and scrunching her face into a dramatic pouty face, she says, "Darn, I had so many questions for that owl... I sure hope we get to meet him again! He kinda seemed to be waiting for us, huh? I wonder how he knew we were coming. Maybe he's-- was friends with the Great Deku Tree?" She immediately pulls out her journal and starts scribbling notes about this fascinating new form of wildlife; already the adventure was so turning out so well!

At mention of Lon Lon Ranch, Malia snaps back to attention. "Oh, that sounds fun!" She clasps her hands in front of her, wringing them excitedly before growing a bit embarrassed. It wouldn't do to get so easily distracted in front of her new friends! "But... but maybe we should make our way to the castle? If, you know, that's what you all think is best. Drooler and I sure don't mind sleeping out under the stars!"

Malia's vote is for Lon Lon Ranch, but she won't voice it explicitly unless there's a tie between the other four kokiri.

As they proceed along, "Gosh, Navi, you sure do know a lot about the world outside Kokiri Forest! Where'd you learn all this stuff, anyways?" She continues riding along, splitting her attention between observing the scenery, jotting down notes in her journal, and listening to the banter between her companions -- with special attention paid to any talk of Queenie and the other creatures they'd encountered on their previous adventure!
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-09-14 at 06:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I wouldn't mind sleeping outside," Nemi said, "we've all slept under the trees before. It's no big deal if you make sure the local wildlife and critters don't get in your sleeping bag. And I brought a tent with me, so I can stay out of the rain."

30. - Top - End - #30

Uncharacteristically thoughtful, Nippi muses, "Maybe the people at the ranch can tell us what to expect at the castle. I've never been to a castle before ..." He blushes at the obviousness of that phrase. "But I hear they have weird ways of doing things. Sleeping outdoors is fine but I don't know if I'll get much sleep anyway with no tree branches overhead." In place of a sigh, he plays a sad little twiddle on Saria's ocarina.

Current games list