New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: RC's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC II

Weaver didn’t seem particularly interested in chatting like he did before their quest. When Zifa approaches him, he seemed almost hesitant to speak, then slowly started to tell the other kokiri about the monster they had fought. Then Gosi jumped in ....

"The Queenie? Um, well she was a giant Gohma with a caterpillar body. And there were skulltulas and ... what? Um, a story? You mean like we made it all up? How dare ...! The sword? Yeah well, sure, it’s a ... um ... good sword. Don’t know about hero but ... Bugs or rats? Where do you think we were? We, uh fought scrubs! And spider things ... and ... uh, how big? Pretty big ... especially that, ah, gold skulltula. Probably as big as ... Hunh? Oh, um, thanks. I mean Zippo didn’t come but ... Do I know how to use it? Um, of course! You just ... Bite? Yes they bit! Do I have a mark? That’s gross! Why would you ... uh, I don’t know ... you know what? I bet Mal is a good teacher too ... I, uh, I gotta ... hey, look! An owl! "

Weaver hurried away to see what the owl said, then frowned when it up and flew away. Maybe Malia was right - the Grwat Deku Tree had sent it earlier. But it still felt weird.

Nippi spoke up about options and Weaver glanced back at Zifa and Gosi and pointed straight ahead. ”I agree with the, um, quickest way. Let’s go to the, uh, castle ... I’ve heard they do stuff just like us, so it should be , um, I may. Okay?

Okay!”

Weaver took off towards the castle, ready to push the pace.

So right now Weaver has most of the goodies. He’s got the magic sword (which he’ll hang on to for now), magic sling (He’s decent with) and a magic cloak (just grabbed it on a whim). Anyone want/need the sling or cloak?
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    WIP - HPs: 24; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +6 R +8 W +4 Init +6 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+7, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +10/+9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +11/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5, SoH +9, EA +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3; Stones 14
    Effects: Evasion
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-09-17 at 07:51 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"I speak to other fairies who've been beyond the forest!" Navi explains to Malia how she knows so much. "I like to hear their stories. But it does mean my information is somewhat old and second hand. Fortunately places tend not to move though!"

With Weaver and Nemi's adamance that you should head to the castle, Zifa's preference for the ranch, and Malia and Nippi's less forthrightly stated opinions it's not immediately clear which destination you've chosen! But to begin with its all much the same and so you set off vaguely north-northwestwards anyway.

Hyrule field is a vast open plain, with gently rolling hills and lush green grass interspersed with the occasional lone tree or copse. Away from the treeline of the forest the horizon seems almost impossibly far away! To the northeast you can see mountains far away beyond the hills of Hyrule Field! One in particular stands out taller than the rest, with a ring of clouds surrounding the summit. Behind you to the east and south the forest where you've lived your entire lives dominates the horizon dark and mysterious. In the other directions before field stretches as far as the eye can see, maybe sloping away to the southwest slightly, but it's difficult to tell with the general undulations.

As Navi leads you onwards the sun gradually rises higher in a clear sky. A gentle breeze from the southwest stores the grass and butterflies dance amongst the numerous wildflowers.

At several points the party comes across strange plants - massive bee-hive shaped things several yards in circumference with palm-like fronds at their crown and a spiky, pineapple-textured flesh. "That's a Peahat!" Navi explains as she steers you away. "They're extremely dangerous, particularly in the day! But if we keep our distance they shouldn't bother us unless we call attention to ourselves. Let's just keep away!"

After several more hours travel just as the sun is starting to dip you come around a corner of a hill and a large flat-topped hill with a wooden stockade around its top comes into view. From your vantage point you can't see over the stockade, but you can tell it encloses several farm buildings and a large barn clustered at the side closest to you, and some sort of stone storage tower a little away from the other buildings. A path wide enough for a wagon leads up between iron gates.

A sign by the gate says: "Lon Lon Ranch".

"We're here! This is where we should stop for the night." Navi announces, leading you up through the gates. The path winds upwards as a means of reducing the gradient before taking a sharp left onto a short street formed between several of the farm buildings and the barn. Several cuccos scatter as you approach, shying away from the two large dogs. Near the barn a tall man with a l large moustache and crazy eyebrows is shovelling manure onto a cart.

"Hey! You kids! What are you doing here?! Can't you see I'm busy?!" He yells at you irritably. "What do you want?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver had no idea which way anything was, since he'd never been outside the forest. However, when they top the rise and he sees Lon Lon Ranch, he glances around at the others with a weird look on his face, then cleared his throat and loudly agreed with Navi.

"Um, yes, Lon Lon Ranch, just like we, uh, said we were going to go see. I mean, it looks like a good place to, ah, rest and ... "

He stopped as they approached the fields and the giant with the crazy mustache barked out at them. Weaver blanched a bit, then spoke up. ”Um, hey there, Giant Person. We, ah, we're going on a trip. And, um, your ranch is in the way. Well, what I, uh, mean is it's ON the way. So, um, we'd like to stay the night. Please.”

After a moment, he glance around, then said, "I mean … it is, um, YOUR ranch, yes?"

Well, I guess we're here regardless. So game on ...
    Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +10/+9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +11/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5, SoH +9, EA +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3; Stones 14

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"And we're not kids," Nemi said, stamping her foot, "We're Kokiri."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Malia is particularly engrossed by the Peahats that Navi pointed out. "I'd love to get a look at one of those up close; I've never seen anything like it! Maybe we can go and sneak a peak after dark one of these nights?"

When they get to the ranch, Malia giggles happily at the sight of the cuccos, even if they are running away. She'd always loved those birds. After, she is more fascinated by the pile of manure than she is by the ranch's (apparent) proprietor. "Ohmygosh that's a lot of poop! What kind of animals do you think made it all, Drooler? Whatever it is, this place must have a bunch of 'em! I can't wait to make friends with all of them!"

Glancing up at the grumpy mustachioed man, she says "Oh, yeah, like Weaver said, we'd love to stay for the night. And I'd really love to help out with your ranch. I'm really good with animals, and I promise big ol' Drooler here won't cause any trouble!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Zifa has been equally caught up in the sight of the Peahat plants? creatures? “We should definitely come back and get a better look at them. Definitely”

Arriving at the ranch was a relief. The night was so dark out here away from the forest. He was sure some terror or another would likely come and gobble them up. He mentally listed off a dozen monstrosities contained in Hyrule. He shuddered a bit. “Can’t be brave if your not afraid.”

As he uttered the adage that Gosi has spent years repeating the Fairy flows a bit brighter and lands on his shoulder. ”That’s right. Facing a fear is what makes one proper brave.”

Meeting the large Hylian with a mustache was great...the poop not so much. “Malia is right, that’s a lot of manure. you got dodongos or something around here?”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi is entranced and completely forgets it's rude to stare. Never mind the manure, the size of the man and the buildings -- he's never actually seen a moustache before! To him, they're legendary, something he'd heard about but never expected to encounter. All he says is a quiet "Wow ......"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Navi frowns at Malia and Zifa's interest in sneaking a closer look at the peahats. "I would advise you to... not...?! The stories I've heard about them are really quite terrifying!"

At first it appears the man is going to ignore your responses, irritably grumbling as he loads manure onto the cart, but after Malia offers to help he appears somewhat mollified, wiping his hands on his overalls and leaving the shovel upright in the dung.

"So you're not kids? Kokiri?! Oh, I see! You have fairies! You must be forest folk then. I can't say I've ever heard of forest folk outside the forest... I am Ingo and I mind the ranch. I've been working at this ranch for a long time for a lazy bum, Talon. Today, for example, he's gone somewhere for a delivery and he hasn't come back yet! So, I'm doing all the work around here! It's tough to be a working man!" Ingo spits into the dung to emphasise his strength of feeling.

He appears confused by the mention of dodongos. "No, we don't have dodongos, whatever they are. Are they beasts you get in the forest? Here we have horses, and cows, and pigs, and cuccos. Mainly horses. You'd like to stay the night you say? Normally that would be 5 Rupees per person. But... as the boss isn't here and you've offered to help... what's say we forget that? Just help me clear this pile up and get the horses into the barn for the night and we'll call it square. Maybe help feed the cuccos in the morning. You'd be doing me a real help! But I warn you... if either of those dogs goes for the animals you'll be out on your ears! I don't care how dangerous Hyrule Field is at night!"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, we can help," Nippi says brightly. "Um ... got another shovel or two? Maybe a kokiri-sized one? But anyway, Malia and I can help with the animals too, we've got a knack with animals. She's Malia--" He points. "And I'm Nippi. Pleasedta meetcha, Ingo."

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver nodded in agreement with Nippi. "Uh, yeah, shovels and stuff ... for us ... and you don’t have to worry about the dogs. Koli is great. And, um ...Drooler is ... uh ... well maybe keep an eye on him ... The last was whispered.

Teady to help ... what do we need to do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

At the mention of her name, Malia (crosslegged atop Drooler as usual) beams a big ol' eye-shutting smile and waves with one hand. At Weaver's warning about Drooler, she laughs: "Ha! Drooler's a big ol' love muffin! The worst you should expect from him is some slobbery kisses!"

Hopping down off Drooler's back, she'll go through a few tricks: "Sit, Stay, Roll-Over", etc. Drooler, of course, is happy to comply -- and is rewarded with a treat from Malia's pouch!

"Anyways, it's getting dark; if I want some time to play with the animals before bed, we'd best get to work!"

Whatever task needs the most hands, Malia is happy to help; it never hurts to do a bit of lifting (even if its lifting poop!), but she'd prefer to work with the animals.

In whatever time remains after the work is done, Malia will devote her time to getting to know the ranch's animal friends. The horses, pigs, and cows demand her first attentions. When it's time for sleep, she and Drooler will curl up near the cuccos for some much-needed rest. It's been a big day!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi shook her head at Malia's enthusiasm. It would take some getting used to. But she too would take a shovel, broom, wheelbarrow or whatever implement was offered and went to work, going at it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

The party agrees to help Ingo in return for free lodging overnight! That seems like a pretty good deal!

There isn't another shovel, but Ingo soon finds a pair of buckets and a set of steps, setting Weaver, Nemi and Zifa to work in the relatively physical task of bucket relaying the manure into the cart. Ingo has clearly decided Malia and Nippi, with Koli and Drooler, know a bit more about animals and so he leads them in the direction of the inner corral where he directs the quartet in rounding up the horses. Neither are particularly difficult tasks and before long the horses are safely stabled and the manure loaded into the cart.

"Thanks for the help kids. I'd have been up well after dark if I had to finish that all by myself!" Ingo says as he closes up the Ranch's main gates for the night. With the chores done he shakes a can of seeds and leads you and a large number of cuccos into one of the farm buildings. Inside is a large communal space dominated at one end by a large indoor cucco pen. Ingo shakes the seed into the pen and after the rush of cuccos is over he closes a gate behind them.

"Ain't much in the way of dinner I'm afraid, he says, prodding a small pot bubbling on a stove at the other end of the room with a spoon. "I wasn't expecting company and Malon usually does the food around here." He gets another pot out of a cupboard and fills it with water from a ewer, plonking it on the stove next to the other. "Let's see... let's see..." poking around in the cupboards some more Ingo manages to produce about a dozen and a half eggs for the pot and a loaf of slightly stale bread. It's not much but the poached eggs and bread round out the small pot of vegetable stew, to a surprisingly satisfying meal.

After the meal Ingo shows you to a bunk room with eight hylian-sized mattresses in another reasonably sized room. "This is where we sleep guests. I'll probably be milking the cows by the time you're up, no need to see me before you go. If Talon and Malon don't show up I'm going to be just as busy tomorrow as today! If you could shake the seed into the cucco pen and then let them out before you go I'd appreciate it. And if you want breakfast help yourselves to some eggs. You'll have seen where everything is kept!"

Ingo turns away to leave you for the night.

"If there's anything else to ask him I suspect this is the time!" Navi suggests.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Excuse me, Mr. Ingo," Nemi said. She was wondering about the beds. They looked so big, she might get lost in it.
    "But do you know anything about Hyrule Castle?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi's face shows that he's quite interested in hearing about this too. He murmurs, "I hope the people there are nice, like you."

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #46

Malia wakes early and feeds the cuccos, as Ingo asked. After, she passes the early hours observing and playing with the various animals, and by sketching the horses in her journal while scribbling notes about their graceful way of running.

As the group gathers together, she makes one last pass by the cucco coop and says a bittersweet farewell to her new friends. "Goodbye, Pecky! Goodbye, Henbo! Goodbye, Mrs. Gobbleston! I promise I'll come visit again sometime!"

As they bid farewell to Ingo: "Mr. Ingo, I don't suppose you'd be willing to lend me a cucco? Or, you know, sell me one? I love those birdies, and I promise I'd take real good care of it!"

Also, "Mr. Ingo, yesterday you said something about Hyrule Field being real dangerous at night? What was that about? Based on what Navi here said, I would think the daytime was scarier, what with those Peahats and all."
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-10-05 at 02:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

"Hyrule Castle?" Ingo pauses in the doorway to respond to Nemi's question. "Well kids, it's a mighty fine sight! It's where the Royal family live, and it stands over the city of Castle Town. It's where we sell most of our milk! They like our milk in castle town. If you're headed there you should get to sleep. It's about a day's walk North of here," he says gruffly. He doesn't respond to Nippi's complement, but it is just possible to notice him pause with a smile and a twinkle in his eye as he closes the door.

The next morning Navi wakes you all as the early morning starts to lighten the room through the two east facing windows. "Come on sleepyheads! It's time to get started!"

For breakfast there are indeed eggs and water in the common room, and the cuccos cluck appreciatively as Malia shakes out the seed for them before letting them out to roam free as Ingo asked. There isn't any immediate sign of the man, and Malia has to poke about in the barns until she finds the cowsheds.

"Oh, you're still here? I thought you'd be off already," Ingo chides half-grumpily but with no sense of malice as he milks one of the cows into a bucket. "Sorry kid, I'm sure you would take good care of it, but it's more'n my job's worth to go selling the cuccos without Talon's say so! And don't go bothering those peahats! Even at night they're a nasty pickle to get into. But the field at night... Nothing I've seen myself you understand, but the horses have been acting spooked after dark and some of the travellers we've had have been telling tales of monsters bothering folk at night. Speaking of... go on! Get! Or you'll not make it to castle town today! See you around...kid."

And so the party set out North! From Lon Lon Ranch a path runs in the same direction, twin ruts marking the frequent passage of carts. Grassy fields stretch away in all directions, dotted with the odd tree and small copse and the occasional peahat. At one point you spot something large flying above the horizon to the east, but it's too far away to make out what exactly and it soon disappears behind a hill again. Like yesterday the skies are mostly clear, and the sun beats down. You stop for lunch as the road fords a small and crystal clear stream. After eating you keep going and after a few more hours the sun starts to dip. It's beginning to seems that Ingo may have underestimated the journey time for armoured Kokiri on foot, and it's early evening before you catch your first glance of Hyrule Castle in the distance.

Ingo wasn't kidding that Hyrule Castle is quite a sight! Although it's still many miles distant you can make out the towering shiny stone towers with blue slate roofs and flying butresses. The castle is on a rocky stepped outcrop dominating the city below, which has its own impressive curtain wall. A river winds its way around the base of the wall forming a moat.

A few more hours travel brings the city closer, but you're still about three miles distant when the sun finally sets. From a small hill you can see sconces being lit at intervals along the wall and at the main gate the great drawbridge is raised, sealing the city for the night.

"I worried this might happen," Navi laments. "Shall we make camp here, it seems like a good spot? Or shall we press on to the gate? Maybe we can convince them to let us in anyway?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Malia sure will miss that ranch. Then again, she'll sure miss her friends at the village! Boy, the adventuring life means just finding more and more to miss, huh?

"Well, ol' Mr. Ingo said the nights out here could be pretty spooky, but he didn't know with what. I'd just as soon sleep inside, but I'm no good at persuading people to open up their doors... If one of you guys thinks you could talk the guards into it, I think we should press on. If not, I say let's use what little daylight we have left to find a safe spot to hide out for the night!"
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2020-10-08 at 07:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi hadn't said much during the day, mostly because she wasn't the talkative type. And because she could move quite a bit faster if she had been alone.

"Well, that Ingo fellow seemed to think we're children," she said, "maybe we can use that to get inside. And otherwise we can camp right in front of the gate. If something comes, those guards can shoot from the walls to help us."
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-10-09 at 05:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"I've been thinking the same thing, Nemi. Even if they keep the gates shut, it's better to sleep somewhere we can get help if we need it. Hmm, or maybe there'll be a place your wasp could fly us over the wall, or something. Let's press on." Nippi glances over at a tired-looking Koli, who he recently stopped riding to give her a break. "Just a little farther, girl."

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #51

"Ha! That's real smart, Nemi! Glad I'm not out here all alone. Probably get myself eaten by some big ol' thing right quick!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver nodded. "Um, yeah, let's get there soon. We're here on a mission … so, uh, we should just go up and, ah, let them know. Right? Right. So … let's go!” Weaver started walking towards the castle rapidly, not mentioning how spooky the dark looked behind them ...

Moving up to the gates!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You probably would have tried to play with one of those Peahats or something else," Nemi said to Malia, "and it would have played right back, but not in a way you would have liked."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

"Ok, I guess we'll press on then!" Navi says as the full moon begins to rise in the east and the light begins to fade. Do you get out any sources of light, or are you navigating by moon and fairylight? Navi's mostly, Gosi doesn't illuminate much with his dark red glow.

The close to the city the road is paved, but deep grassy undergrowth and low bushes line the road on either side and your pace is only slowed a little. As it gets darker a sense of unease overtakes you. It's hard to put a finger on at first, but about half an hour after full darkness falls you realise the field is completely silent. No birds call. No owls hoot. No crickets chirruping in the evening heat. In the stark white light of moonlight it's definitely creepy!

You continue along the road for another half an hour as the complete silence surrounds you. You are now about a mile from the city moat.

From the left of the road you suddenly hear a tearing noise, and a sound like shovelled earth.

"Heh. Heh heh. Heh heh heh heh heh!"

In the darkness to the side of the road twin red pinpricks stare back at you. And then another set. And another. And another.

In the dim moonlight you can see... things... clawing their way out of the earth.

Four hollow skulls turn to follow you as their owners haul themselves to their feet. Around the four already up yet more bony hands break the turf and claw skywards.

What do you do?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-10-11 at 03:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as the night fell, Nemi got out her everburning torch. She kept pushing the others to move faster. Of course, she could move faster than all of them.
    "What the...," she said when she saw the lights. She tried to see what they were, while she tapped her amulet and summoned her wasp, even if it was only as a distraction.

26. - Top - End - #56

At the sight of the rising... creatures, Mali let's out a quick, quiet gasp, even as she sorts through her memories for tales of creatures like these. "What are those things?!?". Beneath her, Drooler begins to growl and lets loose two quick, sharp barks.

Do they run? With the gates a mile off, that doesn't seem like a real option. Do they stand and fight? Who knows how strong these things are -- or how many of them will rise! Thinking quickly, she does the only thing she can that would aid with both strategies: with a wave of her hand and a few magical utterances, she casts Entangle (DC 14 Reflex).

After, the two pull forward, positioning themselves between the party and this new threat. Anything coming for Malia's friends will have to go through her first!

Spoiler: Targeting and rolls
    Show
    She'll center Entangle such that as many creatures as possible fall within its 80' diameter circle. If the monsters are spawning on both sides of the road, she'll center it on the road itself (since there aren't plants on it, the party should be unhindered); if not, she'll just center it on the group of enemies.

Initiative: (1d20+3)[4]
    Knowledge Devotion: (1d20+13)[14] (using Collector of Stories)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"Weaver? What should we do?" asks a scared-sounding Nippi. Koli isn't giving any direction but is more clear on her role than her kokiri companion is -- right now, she appears to be made entirely of hackles and low growls.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Blinking, Weaver stared at the weird creatures, then towards the castle, then back at the others. "Well, um, normally, you know, I'd say we'd crush these skullies, and show them who's, uh, boss. But, uh … we have this mission and stuff. So we should probably … I mean duty calls ... and uh … yeah, that's it … we should keep going. The princess needs us … I, uh, think. So let's go! And uh … somebody grab, um, Malia!"

Weaver rallied the group to run to the castle, moving to help with Malia too.

So one key point - we aren't scaredy cats … but I suppose we can get nervous!
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Malia's demeanor is changed, and all signs of the optimistic and bubbly young girl seem to have vanished in an instant. In its place is a razor focused low boil of anger and concern for her friends.

"You heard Weaver, let's beat feet!!" She barks out the words, her tone a startling mirror of Drooler's. "Unless you've a better idea, Nemi, you take the front, I'll watch the back; if anything gets too close, we make them regret it, then catch up with the others!"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Fine with me," Nemi said as she started to move, hoping her wasp would divert them enough for the group to be able to get away.