New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RC's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC II

Most of you have heard of Stalchildren! Said to be casualties of Hyrule's bloody past reanimated by dark magic, Stalchildren have always been rumoured to prey on the unwary at night. Individually they aren't particularly dangerous (and about averagely fast), but they are numerous and persistent!

Before they can claw themselves fully free of the earth Malia's words of power causes the very grass itself to lengthen and ensnare, binding them in place! "Gneheh heheheh!" they laugh, unbothered by the entrapment and straining ineffectually. But even as these stalchilds are restrained yet more begin to claw their way out of the earth - some within the zone of entanglement, but others free to either side of the road. Nemi's wasp springs into existence on the other side of the road, attracting some of the stalchilds but not all of them.

The group decides discretion is the better part of valour. "Quickly!" Navi urges "The castle is only a few minutes away!"

Turning to run, the entanglement and the wasp makes sure you get a good start, your footsteps pitter pattering down the road as bony hands punch their way out on either side. Ahead of you the road descends a small hill towards the gates of Hyrule Castle Town. In a few hundred yards it looks like it takes a wide circle around a depression in the road filled with low scrubby bushes and trees. Circling the depression is a longer route, and it may be possible to cut across if the bushes aren't too thick. It's also quickly becoming apparent that Zifa isn't able to keep pace in his armour and is in danger of falling behind. Do you stick to the road or cut across?

What do you do?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-10-21 at 08:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"That shortcut sure looks good to me," Malia shouts as she glances around from atop Drooler's back, gripping her sword and shield tightly. "Drooler and I will have no problem getting through, but I know some of us aren't as comfortable with moving through shrubs... Worst case, Drooler and I could double back for anyone who's having trouble; as long as you're on Drooler's back you'll be fine!"

A frown creases her face... Turning to Weaver, she starts again, apologetically: "Except Koli. I don't think there's any way Drooler could help her through if she gets stuck."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gotta love Halfling Druid for sharing Woodland Stride with one's animal companion!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No, stay on the road," Nemi shouted, "we can see them coming and we can move faster. And if they try to move through the bushes, entangle them again."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi follows the road as it curves around the depression. He's too out of breath to explain his decision aloud, but in his head is the answer: If any more of those things pop up out of the ground, the bushes wouldn't let me see them in time to dodge them!
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver shook his head at Malia. "Everyone loves short cuts … but they don't usually turn out short. And that looks like … um … more places for them skellies to, ah, pop up. Better we, uh, keep going on the, well, the road!

Keep running! On the road!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    WIP - HPs: 24; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +6 R +8 W +4 Init +6 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+7, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +10/+9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +11/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5, SoH +9, EA +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3; Stones 14
    Effects: Evasion
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll warn the city so they can let us in," Nemi shouted before she started running towards the city at her top speed.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

You decide at the last moment not to cut the wide turn in the road, sticking to its perceived safety. You don't pull out any additional lead over your pursuers, but neither do you get ensnared in whatever hazards may be lurking in the dark. The stalchildren, lacking the intelligence required to perceive potential shortcuts, continue to follow you along the road cackling "Gneheheh!" as they run. Ever more stalchildren punch their way out of the soft earth on either side of the road, disturbed from their slumber by your heavy footsteps! A quick glance over your shoulders reveals more than a dozen pairs of red lights pursuing you through the night! From the copse in the depression Nemi hears a sound like deep roots being torn out of the ground, followed by a whirring noise, but in the dark it isn't possible to see the source and it soon falls behind you.

"I'll warn the city so they can let us in!" Nemi shouts, dashing ahead before anyone can opine. She easily pulls away from the others who are keeping pace with Weaver and Nippi. The road ahead is dark and clear, but her everburning torch allows her to make progress even at speed without losing her footing. A mile is a long way to sprint, but Nemi makes it into the very final stretch before developing a painful cramp in her side. Nemi takes 4 non-lethal damage and is fatigued. Nemi estimates the others must be a little over a minute behind her based on their previous pace. Fortunately the Castle Town drawbridge is looming before her illuminated by twin fire grates on smooth-stoned guardtowers either side. The massive wooden bridge is raised and the moat beneath some 25ft across chuckles heartily, speaking of swift currents. Above the gatehouse some 50ft up Nemi can make out two soliders bearing torches observing her approach. as soon as she's within earshot they call out:

"Who goes there? The city is sealed at night! You have to wait until morning!"

Back at the rest of the party the stalchildren may not exactly be catching up, but they are pursuing with the limitless energy of the dead, and a mile is a long way to sprint. You estimate you've gone a little more than half a mile when Nippi's leg cramps and he nearly falls. Nippi takes 1 non-lethal damage and is fatigued. A few more steps makes it clear he isn't going to be able to continue at his previous pace and is in danger of dropping back into the pursuing pack of skeletons!

Zifa and Weaver also feel like they're pushing past their limits, but can continue at this pace (for now). Koli and Drooler seem to be coping better, matching their pace to the slower Kokiri, and of course Malia has it easy riding on Drooler.

What do you do?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-12-24 at 05:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm Nemi, Kokiri of the forest," Nemi shouts between gulps of air to catch her breath, "me and my friends are pursued by stalchildren. Please let us in or we will be killed and eaten right in front of the city."

She looks at the road to see if the others are already coming.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Oww! Oh--" cries Nippi as his leg stops working right. He looks back over his shoulder at the onrushing horde, then continues staggering forward as quickly as he can manage. "Weaver-- I can't-- oww!"

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #70

Malia lets out a quick gasp as her traveling companion stumbles, obviously wearied by the pace of their sprint. "Nippi!", she cries out before springing off of Drooler's back and, still rested, breaking into stride alongside the others.

Glancing around to gauge the length of their lead on the approaching Stalchildren, she falls back to match Nippi's pace, calling Drooler to do the same. "Nippi, can you ride? If Koli's not trained for it, get on Drooler's back, quick! There's no saddle, so be careful; hold on tight and try not to shift your weight too much!"

She knows all too well that, if Nippi does mount up, they'll need to slow for at least a few moments -- but what was the alternative, allowing their friend to fall behind?!

Gritting her teeth, she tightens her grip on her shield and fighting stick. She'll take up a protective position between Nippi and the stalchildren, muttering a short prayer that it won't be enough time for the undead to close the gap!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Without a word, Nippi clambers gratefully onto Drooler and tries to ride like the wind!

Spoiler: I don't THINK a ride check is needed ...
    Show
    But if it is, (d20+9)[23].

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver paused to rush over to Nippi and help, but Malia immediately jumped from her dog, leapt to Nippi's aid, helped him aboard the dog, pushed them to keep running and then took up a defensive stance, all while Weaver stammered, "Nippi! I'll, um, help you ... and ... oh, uh, nevermind ... yeah, do that, Malia! Ride the dog and stuff! We'll uh, we'll hold them off ... or, well, nevermind. Run!" He moved over to push Malia in the direction of the gate, urging them to all keep moving, now that Nippi was aboard Drooler.

As he continued, he tried to ignore the pain growing in his side ...

MOAR RUNNING!
    Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +10/+9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +11/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5, SoH +9, EA +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3; Stones 14

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Nemi

The taller guard peers down at you challengingly. "Better you than the townsfolk! The city is sealed for a reas-! Ow!" He rubs his shoulder having been punched by his companion.

"Lorris, look at her! She's like, a child or something! Are you really gonna just watch her die...?"

"We can't just lower the gate... Capn's orders! You know I don't like it, but the city stays sealed. That's what she said!"

The second soldier stands up straighter, clanking her spear off the battlements, resolved. "Then I'll just have to find the captain. Try and keep her calm Lorris, I'll be right back." She turns and hustles off, disappearing behind the stone rampart. "Captain! Captain Esha!" you hear her call, the sounds muffled behind the thick stone wall.

The guard, Lorris apparently, sighs exasperatedly, picking up a bow and several arrows from a stash behind the battlement. "Alright kid, hang tight. Where are your friends now? And how many are we expecting?"

The Rest of the Party

You keep running. Even as Nippi stumbles, Malia leaps from her perch and helps him up onto Drooler. The stalchildren gain but Drooler bounds forwards just beyond their grasp. "Gneheheh!" The skeletons cackle, the lead stalchild just barely behind Malia now as she runs. "Gneheheh! heh!" For emotionless mockeries of life they sure do seem to be enjoying the chase! Maybe they're not as emotionless as all that...

"Woah! Watch out on the right!" Navi calls out a warning. The road now bends slightly to the right, with an embankment that rises slightly above the road. Running atop the grassy gnoll a stalchild much larger than you keeps pace alongside! The steep banking means it can't get to you just yet, but if you don't do anything it's going to be able to cut you off on the inside of the turn. The horde behind you is also way too close for comfort, and anything you can do to pull out some distance or delay them a little is certainly going to be helpful.

What do you do?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"There's five of us," Nemi said, "and two dogs."
    She didn't mention the fairies, as she wasn't sure how the people here would react to them. And they could fly over the wall if needed. She also looked at the wall to see if she could climb it if needed. And then went back to looking out for the rest of the party, jumping from one foot on the other from nervousness. She wanted to run back to them to help, but she had to stay here or they would never lower the bridge.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver groaned inwardly at the speeding undead, knowing the thing would leap into the group as soon as it was close enough. After a moment, he got an idea. Pulling free his small pouch, he slowed to the back of the pack, then dumped the small sack behind him. Out popped sharp caltrops, spread to cover the 5' path the stalchildren seemed most likely to take. Once done, he turned to raise his arm up and aim his fist towards the legs of the single stalchild ... and let loose a streak of lightning. He hoped it would slow the creature down or give it pause. Best case scenario, it tripped and fell down the embankment, unable to properly pursue.

Worst case ... well, it involved a lot of screaming and even more crying.

Toss them caltrops behind us and then called ranged touch attack! Pause just long enough to drop, fire, then keep running.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[23], Dam - (1d8+5)[6]

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

With some of his breath and focus freed up by not needing to run, Nippi reaches into his heart for fire and hurls it at the monsters as frequently as he can.

Spoiler: "mechanics" (sorta)
    Show
    Since I don't need to spend effort/actions on moving myself anymore, I'll throw firepoofs. I'll start with the big dude trying to cut us off if it's in range -- if not, just toss 'em back over my shoulder, cos I know there aren't any friends running along behind us going "Gneheheh!"

Free bonus: Nemi can probably see our overall progress by watching the string of fireballs.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Party, minus Nemi

Thinking fast, Weaver pulls out a pouch full of caltrops and scatters them across the road behind you. The effect is immediate. "Gneh!" "Gneh!" "Eh-heh!" "Geh!" the stalchildren yell as their feet are damaged and many of them fall, disrupting the crowd behind you and buying some valuable breathing space, but there aren't that many caltrops and the glow from dozens of pairs of red eyes light up the night behind you, scrambling over and past their falllen kin.

On the right, Nippi blasts the the head of the large stalchild clean off! Unbelievably this only seems to disorient it as it starts stumbling around aimlessly, before Weaver finishes the job with a lightning blast that knocks it off its feet. Whwther it gets up again or not is impossible to tell as it falls behind your headlong dash. With that threat dealt with, Nippi starts blasting into the pursuing pack, knocking several off their feet with each blast, but still they keep coming!

As the road straightens out again you see the walls and moat of Castle Town some 900ft ahead illuminated by large torches either side of a gigantic drawbridge! The drawbridge is raised, and you can make out Nemi standing in front of it with her everburning torch.

Weaver - just as the gates come into something stabs you in the side! But it's not a weapon, it's a cramp. Take 5 non-lethal damage and fatigued. You can't keep up with the others anymore. Your caltrops and Nippi's fire bursts have bought a little bit of time, but you'll need to think of something quick.

Nemi
    "Is that them?" the guard called Lorris calls down to you. Turning to look you can just make out Navi's small blue glow punctuated by an occasional burst of fire which must be Nippi picking off targets in hot pursuit. They're about 900ft from you, but you can't really make out any details at this range.

"Captain, look!" you hear the other guard return, her breathing sounding rough as though she'd run hard to fetch her superior.
    "Oh goddesses! They are children!" you hear a new female voice exclaim. "LOWER THE BRIDGE!" it orders. "SOUND THE ALARM! ARCHERS TO THE WALLS! OBA, GET SOME LIGHT OUT THERE!" she begins martialling her troops.

A few seconds later you hear a loud CLACK followed by the sound of chain running freely over sprockets as the great city drawbridge begins to descend. It looks like it's going to take thirty seconds or so to fall. Are you going to wait for it, or try and go back to your companions? You still feel fatigued.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Yes, that's them," Nemi said.
    She grabbed her crossbow and ran back a bit, to a location where she had a good shot at the creature that tried to cut them off.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

attack: (1d20+7)[27]
    damage: (1d6)[2]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Oh, right ...
    Show
    I have spells!

"Weaver! Get on!" Nippi smoothly dismounts Drooler to make room, then -- breath restored and mind working overtime -- starts whipping up some nature magic that pours vitality into the group. The dogs and kokiri all begin to run a little faster, but Nippi himself really puts on the speed, moving from 'uh oh, almost in their clutches' to 'leading the pack'.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    I'll cast elation on the group for 4 rounds of +2 Strength, +2 Dex and +5' speed. And I'll use expeditious retreat on myself.

If it's necessary to stay ahead, I'll use elation on the group again, but I'd prefer not to. If I do, I can't use my firepoofs any more!

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #80

Cursing her lack of real-world experience and impractical spell-selection, Malia grimaces as the beasts grow close -- she's nearly positive that the group will have to fend them off!

But, joy! Thanks to Weaver's quick thinking, and the blasts coming from Weaver and Nippi, it seems like things are taking a turn for the better!

Wouldn't you know it, tho, her optimism looks like it'll be challenged another time or two before the night's over. As Weaver stumbles, obviously in pain from the run, Malia rushes to help him onto Drooler's back. As she does so, she utters a short prayer and lets loose a slow trickle of restorative magic; if it does come to blows, it could just make the difference!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Casting Lesser Vigor on Weaver: Weaver gains fast healing 1 for the next 12 rounds

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver grinned for a moment as they managed to slow their pursuers down a bit. Unfortunately, fate had more challengers in store. A pain shot through his side and he shouted, ”Ahhhhh! I’m hit! Keep going ... ohhhh the pain ...” But even as he started to slow, clutching his side, Nemi and Malia were there, one trying to help him aboard the dog, and the other healing him. When he pulled his hand away, there was no more blood, only sweat - obviously a testimony to Malia’s healing powers.

He waved on the others, certain he would fall off the dog if he tried. “Don’t worry about me ... uh ... just keep, um, going! To the gate! Yeah, yeah get to the gate. I’ll be, ah, fine!”

Damn those invisible missile attacks!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Once again the party comes together to prevent one of your own falling behind! Nippi vacates his perch on Drooler and Malia helps Weaver up with a healing spell to help with his pain. Meanwhile Nippi casts quickening magics in order to keep the party ahead of the pack and pull out a little more of a lead!

Even Nemi falls back towards her companions as the drawbridge lowers, taking a shot from extreme range as soon as she can pick out a target within Navi's feeble fairylight. Miraculously the bolt strikes home on a leading stalchild, knocking it backwards off its feet with a surprised "Gneh!" where it disappears into the gloom.

It looks like you're going to make it!

With the drawbridge half-lowered a streak of light like a blazing star arcs from the top of the walls to strike the earth in your path near the road. The star illuminates a diameter more than 200ft across, revealing your pursuers. Nearly three dozen skeletons of various sizes are giving chase! Almost immediately you begin to hear whistling noises overhead punctuated with thnk! thnk! thwp! and then a "Geh!" and the sound of shattering bones as a startled stalchild is felled by a direct hit. More stars fall from the battlements as the city watch's arcanists enchant arrows with Daylight spells to illuminate the battlefield for other archers to pick out targets. Gradually the number of arrows striking home increases as the range reduces - the distance you've pulled out allowing volley fire to target the stalchidren without endangering anyone in the party.

As you cover about a third of the distance the drawbridge finally slams home with a bone-rattling BOOM! Nemi, you hear angry shouts from within the gatehouse and suddenly the rapid drumming of hoofbeats. About half a dozen chestnut coloured horses ridden by red-haired women in desert clothes armed with bows thunder across the drawbridge and gallop past you. Behind them a phalanx of spear-bearing guards in disarray curses and shakes their fists angrily as they reform their defensive formation in the gatehouse, clearly positioning to prevent any intrusion into the city whilst the drawbridge is lowered and the gatehouse is vulnerable. The sortie by the women in desert clothes didn't seem planned.

The firing from the walls gradually ceases as the women encircle the party's pursuers, expertly picking off the skeletons from close range. Within moments every single skeleton is destroyed. With the battle over the women direct their horses back towards the gatehouse, and as they pass you notice them grinning smugly. The guards in the gateway part smoothly to let them past, closing ranks again in a much more regimented way than on the horsewomen's departure.

A woman in armour stands in their centre in the middle of the gatehouse, beckoning you come inside. She towers at least a foot taller than any of you, and so do the rest of the guards.
    "Come on, come inside! We have to seal the city again. Goddesses know I'm going to catch it in the neck already."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-04 at 04:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sure," Nemi shouts, or at least tries to, as she ran across the drawbridge, "and thanks for letting us in."
    As soon as she's inside the city she stops and looks at the other members of the party.
    "Everybody okay?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver was quick to duck inside the city. If he waited he would simply gape at the warrior woman who had saved them. He stammered a thanks, then helped the others get inside. Once there, he commented, ”Thanks for not letting us, um, get et, or worse yet, turned into an new of those things. What were they? And why do they live right outside the gate? Um, what are your names? Is there a princess here?

Oh, and I’m, uh, Weaver ... “

Whew ... made it!
    Show
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 4/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones 14
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-01-04 at 05:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

As Nippi's magic sends the group speeding over the last stretch of Hyrule Field, Malia finally starts to breathe a bit easy. Looks like her friends would make it through the night unscathed after all!

As they press in, Malia reels around to watch, awestruck, the warrior women who so deftly dispatch the legion of stalchildren! Such accomplished fighters! And those horses they're riding, such beautiful and graceful creatures! It's enough to help her forget, even if only for a moment, the stresses they'd just overcome.

But only for a moment.

The realization that they're finally safe brings Malia's trademark face-splitting smile to her face. But at the same time, this first encounter with real danger makes her realize just how scary the world can be! Her eyes get a bit glassy as she fights off the beginnings of a few tears. She buries her head in Drooler's neck and gives the dog a big old hug; he definitely earned a few extra treats tonight!

To the armored woman beckoning them: "Thank you so much for taking us in! I don't think we could have kept up that chase much longer! Were, um, were any of your soldiers hurt? I'd hate for anyone to be injured on our account!" If any of the local guards are injured, whether from tonight's bout or with a pre-existing injury, Malia will spend a few spell slots patching them up.

If she gets a chance before the desert women retreat, Malia will approach the group, a look of admiration and awe in her eyes. A gigantic grin on her face, she'll say "You're all incredible! I hope I can fight like that one day, too! I'm, umm, I'm a pretty good rider, too, but", blushing slightly at the realization of just how silly she must look next to these accomplished warriors, she looks down at the ground before continuing. "But, not like you all, I guess... I mean, I can't really ride a horse or anything yet, but..." Looking back up, once more with her biggest, sincerest smile, "What I mean is thanks! You were all amazing!!!" She'll offer her healing services to any of the desert women who need it; after all, they were the ones on the front lines!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The woman waves away Nemi's thanks and as soon as you're all across the drawbridge the woman in she yells "SEAL THE GATE!" and a nearby guard starts a team of draught horses turning a capstan inside the massive gatehouse that begins to raise the mighty drawbridge with a CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK of the ratchet system.

She then has a few quiet words with an aide, who then sets about martialling the guard as the woman returns her attention to you.

"What were you doing outside after dark?! Do you have ANY idea how much trouble you're in! Where are your parents? You could have been killed! My guards could have been killed! If the monsters had gotten inside the city might have fallen! What were you thinking?!" she scolds before noticing the fairies. "Oh, you're not from the city, are you? You're forest folk." She runs a hand heavily over her head and sighs as she tries to quell her earlier anger.

"I'm Night Captain Esha of the City Guard. Between sunset and daybreak I'm the one in charge down here! No, none of my people were injured. The stalchildren don't usually come this close to the city, but recently things have been getting really dangerous at night! But seriously! I won't be able to let you in if you're caught outside again! All this business is why we have the Gerudo here in town! With how dangerous the world has been they're here with their leader for peace negotiations with the king. It doesn't make sense for us to be at odds when we all face bigger issues. But... their people have a reputation as thieves and raiders. The Gerudo delegation ignore my instructions and antagonise my forces. I didn't even ask for their help just now. It's quite awkward! But... that's not really your concern."

Just beyond the gatehouse is a large stable where the Gerudo women are stabling their horses. As they do so they high-five, celebrate their victorious sally, and cast smug looks in the direction of the Hylian guards who stayed safely beyond the walls, who are scowling and grumbling in return.

Undeterred by Esha's words, Malia approaches to gush her thanks and admiration! The Gerudo look at each other with puzzled expressions, and chatter to each other in a language you don't understand. But the basic tone of Malia's message must have made itself understood. One of the Gerudo pushes past her companions to pat Malia and Drooler on the head. "Haha! Yes! Yes! We. Amazing! You. Welcome! Haha!" the woman answers in broken hylian. She ruffles Malia's hair again and laughs with her comrades, and finishes tying up her horse. Then the Gerudo depart into the city along one of the side streets, high-fiving and laughing as they go.

Meanwhile Captain Esha responds to Weaver's enquiry about a princess. "Sure we have a princess. Princess Zelda, daughter of the King. She must be, oh, about your age now. Anyway, you must need lodgings. If you follow this street to the town square there's a reputable inn on the west side that should have some rooms available. And it allows pets," she finishes, glancing at Koli and Drooler.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-19 at 05:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"More trouble," Nemi asked, as she looked around at all the big stuff going on, "you mean like those 'stalchildren'?"
    If there was trouble, she wanted to know about it before they ran into it. One such surprise was more than enough.

28. - Top - End - #88

Coming back from her brief interaction with the warrior women, Malia just catches the bit about this 'Princess Zelda'. "Miss Esha, do you know where we can find the Princess? You see, we really need to talk to her about the mean man and the Sacred Realm. It was the Great Deku's last wish!"

After their conversation is completed, Malia will crack a gigantic smile at the Night Captain, beaming "Thank you again, Miss Esha! I hope we can all see you again real soon! Say thanks, Drooler!" And Drooler, ever the friendly and obedient companion, lets loose a great, staccato "WHOOF" that sends a thin line of thick saliva into the air.

"Is everyone feeling okay? I was so scared out there; I wasn't sure we'd make it to town! But wow, you all knew just what to do at every twist and turn! If anyone's hurt, please let me know, and I'll get you patched up right away! But I guess we really should get to that inn that Miss Esha was talking about; sounds like we have another big day ahead of us!"

Malia will spend an hour or so before bed scribbling in her journal, taking notes about the stalchildren and the fighting/riding style of the warrior women. There was already so much to be learned from her time outside the Forest!

She plans to wake early in the morning so as to first forage around for any food and drink she might find and to find a shop where she can purchase a proper sword. If yesterday taught her anything, it's that she's going to have to take this adventuring business more seriously than she'd thought!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver stared up at Captain Esha as she spoke, wondering what she meant by children and ages. He shrugged it away for now, but perked back up at the mention of a princess. He started to speak, but Malia spoke over him in her usual, boisterous manner. After a moment, he added lamely, ”A, uh, dark man with, um, black armor is coming, I think. Or is here. Or will be. And, um, the Princess is going to, uh, run away. Or ride ... on a horse, not a dog. But she’s scared, or, um will be. And if he gets in, uh, that is, into the, uh, realm ... you know, the, ah, sacred realm, he will steal the, um, Triple-play ... or the Tripplehorn ... er, tri-tip power. So we should, uh, find her, and, um, warn her, or something.“

The would-be hero thought for a moment, glancing over at the riders ruffling Malia’s hair and paused. “The dark man, you know, that, um, I mentioned? They remind me of him.” He pointed at the red-haired Gerudo.

”Soooooo ... where is she?”

I sense some bad news ahead
    Show
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 4/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones 14

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Not just Stalchildren," Esha responds to Nemi. "Though the roads to Kakariko and LonLon Ranch are still fairly safe during the day, peahats and other wild beasts are getting more numerous, bulblins are starting to prowl openly in the southwest near Lake Hylia, and my scouts have even reported Moblins near the forest."

Esha tries to listen to what Weaver is saying, but it doesn't look like she fully understands him because when he finishes she laughs dismissively and attempts to placate him. "Princess Zelda isn't going to run away! She lives a life of luxury in the most secure fortress in the world, Hyrule Castle! Look kids, try not to antagonise the Gerudo and their leader, ok? You'll only regret it. If you want to hear about the Sacred Realm, I've heard the Temple of Time in the northeast of the city has something to do with it."

Whilst she is talking an aide with a clipboard comes up and stands rather obtrusively to attention nearby. Night Captain Esha sighs. "Look kids, I've got to get back to work. Paperwork to fill out, expended inventory to assess, that sort of thing. Go find the inn I mentioned and try not to get into any more trouble, all right? Enjoy your stay in Castle Town!"

With that she turns away and takes the clipboard, entering into an animated conversation with the aide that sounds full of uninteresting minutiae.

"She seemed nice," Navi comments as the party regroups itself. "Busy, but nice. Alright, I think she said the inn was this way!"

Navi flits off in the direction of the centre of the city, and you all follow. The city is huge! Wide streets, burning torches, and tall stone buildings that all seem very alien to your Kokiri senses. Away from the walls though activity dies down very quickly though, and soon you have the streets to yourselves except for a few skittish dogs that you catch sight of rummaging in alley bins or scampering about in play until disturbed, after which they bound off into the night.

After about ten minutes you come to what must be the village square, where at last there are some people, all tall hylians. Numerous shops ring the street with streets radiating in all directions. In the middle of the square is a circular white marble fountain with a central pillar supporting a winged statue of Three Stacked triangles. To the northeast you can just make out an enormous building looming over rooftops. It must be the Temple of Time Captain Esha talked about! To the north Hyrule Castle looms larger still, towering curtain wall and pointy spires visible even in the dark.

By the statue a couple are dancing, completely absorbed in each other and seemingly oblivious to anyone else.
    "Ohh... You are...so handsome... Just like the King of Hyrule... Hee hee..."
    "Ohh... You are...more beautiful...than Princess Zelda... Ohh..."

A few guards stand watch at strategic places around the square, and a merchant has an open stand selling roasted chestnuts, 1 portion 1 rupee. A few other people come and go from the various streets around the perimeter. To the east you spot some lights on in the second floor of a building with external stairs leading up above the businesses bellow, and a sign swinging in the nighttime breeze.

"The Owl Inn"

The innkeeper gives you a strange look as you enter, perhaps surprised to be patronised by such strange folk without adult supervision, but he's happy to take your rupees at a rate of 1gp per twin room per night (breakfast not included but dogs staying free). The rooms are not like you're used to, being tall and square, but the beds at least are soft and comfortable and you all manage to get a good night's sleep. Weaver and Nemi are no longer fatigued!

In the morning you are woken by the unaccustomed sound of large crowds. The sun is already quite high, having been blocked from shining in directly by adjacent buildings. (The innkeeper says they don't serve food, sorry). So many people! Big people! All the shops are open and you can surely find any sort of thing in this city! Things you'd never even dreamed of!

Castle Town has anything you want at a standard price.

There are plenty of food stalls where you can purchase food, but if Malia really sets her mind to it she finds a water butt filled with clean water that seems to have gathered from pipes collecting water that runs off the roofs. She also spots three fresh loaves cooling on a windowsill in one of the side streets.

In the square itself there is so much chatter! You overhear many conversations, and people commenting on your strange garb and fairy.

"Hey, you have a fairy?"

"Can I pet your doggy?"
    "Don't touch strange dogs, dear."
    "Aww, muuuum!"

"Welcome to Hyrule Castle Town. It's a peaceful, prosperous town."

"Have you heard the legend of the "Shadow Folk"? They are the Sheikah...the shadows of the Hylians. They say they swore allegiance to the King of Hyrule and guarded the Royal Family. But with the long peace, no one has seen a Sheikah around here for a long time. However... I heard there is one Sheikah woman living in the castle..."

"I made a lot of money! Maybe I should go look for more things to sell! I know! I should go to Lake Hylia! Many things float down the river and end up there! Hah hah!"

"Please... anything... please sell me something... anything... please..."

"No, I'm not dancing, you know... my back itches! Ooh! Aaah! Ooh!"

"Hey, forest kids! This is the city of Hyrule! Take your time and enjoy the sights! If you came here to see Hyrule Castle, go north! If you want to see the Temple of Time, that's northeast! If you want to see the back alleys of the town, just get lost! Hah!"

"I can't catch that cucco!"

"They say we Hylians have big ears in order to hear the voices of the gods...but I've never heard them!"

"I'm waiting for my dad. He went to Hyrule Castle to deliver something, but he hasn't come back yet."

"My previous puppy can run faster than any of the other mutts around here!"

"Wha-ha-ha! What a crazy guy! Can you believe this guy was crazy enough to try to sneak into the castle to see Princess Zelda? All because of this idiot, they've tightened security at the castle. Wha-ha-ha!"
    "I wanted to see Princess Zelda! I didn't think I'd get caught!"

"Huff huff! I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!"

"Ahem! Hrrrm! This beard is my pride and joy! Doesn't it look luxuriant, kid?!"

Surprisingly, the couple from last night are even still dancing by the fountain. Didn't they even sleep?
    "Ohh... Darling..."
    "Ohh... Honey..."

"All these Hylians sure are weird. Anyway, what do you want to do?"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-16 at 09:00 AM.