New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Shining Plume [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    That will do nicely.

Kazumi then turns and as she does, her form shifts slightly, and two fox ears appear on the top of her head, and her tails reappear again.

Well. Time to go get outfitted for cold weather with something that will accommodate my body. I do have a feeling my poor tails are going to spend a lot of time freezing.
    Ooooooo........ can I come with~! Vivian beams happily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see why not. After all, I am hardly the only one who needs to find warmer clothes.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Lily silently nodded, then glanced at the staff. Not that she was thinking of putting clothes on it (for more than a second). But she had never taken the staff so far north. Was it going to act up in a place more friendly to snowstorms than thunderstorms?
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Arioch Tar-Valon, Champion of the Raven Queen
    AC: 21 | HP: 88 of 88
    Passive Perception: 15| Passive Insight: 11
    Active Effects: Giant Strength (21); Spell Storing (Cure Wounds (1st); Shadow Blade (2nd); Shadow Blade (2nd)
    Conditions: None.

Arioch listened as his companions spoke, nodding here and there. "We will need cold weather clothing, fur-lined, hooded cloaks, thick linens and woolens. Sturdy boots, and warm gloves. Gear for cold weather camping, spikes, pitons, and ropes for climbing gear."

5. - Top - End - #35

As you speak, you head for the quartermaster.

Before long, you're in front of Dolton, a dwarven man. He smiles as you approach, but doesn't say anything. When you tell him where you're going, he nods. "Got a list?" he asks.

Arioch lists off what he's thought of, with Dolton grabbing a quill and scribbling it down.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Currently, I have the following listed:

Cold-weather gear
    Cold-weather tents
    Spikes/pitons
    Rope
    Climbing gear

Dolton thinks a moment, and adds something else to the list. "Hearthwarming potion. Drink one, you're good against weather for eight hours. Four of them-use in an emergency."

Spoiler: Hearthwarming Potion
    Show
    A pleasant-tasting potion that fills the drinker with warm thoughts.

Provides immunity to inclement cold weather for eight hours-so no saves needed against arctic air. Snow will still disrupt your vision and make it harder to move, though.

Also reduces cold damage by 3, for each instance of cold damage taken for the duration.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

"Oooh. Also like battle goat mounts or something, tho that's probably not here.... Vivian commented, idly looking around.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Lily gave a half smile. "I believe mounts that are most practical for our trip. Now if that happens to be battle goats, I won't say no."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I will need some alterations made to my attire as well. Hazuki says, gesturing at her tails.

And in addition, any spell components that can be spared.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #39

Dolton gestures to a nearby room, saying "Tailor's in there."

When you mention spell components, he shakes his head. "Not urgent enough."

You all head to the tailor's, to get your clothes in order. There's three tailors-Cromslor and Pinsky, the two human newlywed men, and their apprentice and adopted daughter, Diana. Cromslor is tall, Pinsky short, and both are rather thin and awkward-seeming, though their tailoring skills are second to none. Diana is, while not as skilled, a much better looker, erring a little on Cromslor's height, but much more filled-out.

"Diana, can you handle Vivian and Lily?" Cromslor asks. "They should be easy. I'll handle Arioch, then help you, dear," he says to Pinsky, "once I'm done with Kazumi?"

Pinsky nods, and they all set to work, with you letting them know that you're looking for cold-weather gear.

Show
    So, Cromslor and Pinsky have a flair for fashion. If you say nothing, you'll get rather gorgeous (and still practical, just not so much for sneaking) clothes, though you can obviously request clothes that will let you stay on the down-low. Just let me know, so I can assess whether you're going in a grand display or more unassuming.

It takes about two hours to get the clothes all adjusted for all of you, with each of you having three sets. You head back to Dolton, who's had a stack of gear gathered for you all. As you collect it, he says "Wargoats are in the stables outside. You can find them."

Spoiler: Wargoat
    Show
    See warhorse stats for the base. Add a 40' climb speed (though it is limited by having hooves instead of hands), and a bite attack for 2d4+4 damage. Multiattack makes one attack of each type.

Any barding available.

With your supplies gathered, you head for the stables. It's around nightfall by the time you're all saddled up with the wargoats. Do you want to leave in the night? wait for morning? or something else altogether?

Show
    With that, I think we've got all the preparations out of the way.

Kazumi, I'll assume you've got your basic casting supplies (so if you have Chromatic Orb you've already GOT the diamond.

Y'all ready to go?

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Kazumi, despite expressing displeasure at having to have new clothes tailored, spends a good deal of time discussing colors and patterns with Pinsky. The biggest problem was ensuring that the outfit could accommodate her tails. The second biggest was finding color schemes that went well with her reddish fur, and dark skin tone.

They finally settle on bold colors. Styling the clothes so that they were functional with her tails made the cut difficult, but eventually, they decided that in order to maximize heat retention when her tails were out, the coat bears an opening below her waist, stitched tight to keep it almost completely closed, where Kazumi found she could thread her tails through. Once they were through the coat, it lifted the fabric up, but solving the problem of heat retention fell on the length of the coat. The coat was extremely long, hanging below her knees. And beneath it, the thick pants she would wear would be fastened high up her chest, so that when she had her tails out, she had extra insulation on her chest and back.

But of course all of this took time, and more than a few fittings as things were pinned, unpinned, and pinned again. And then the talk of trim, of the color for the inner liner, of the fasteners... it went on for some time, and she was the last one to be equipped with clothing that should be suitably warm, functional, and, of course, highly fashionable.

After she is finally finished, she joins the others.

When should we leave?
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-09-16 at 10:06 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

"Nothing overly flashy for me. Having the option to go unnoticed is useful. And besides, if I want someone to notice me, believe me. They will."

12. - Top - End - #42

"Hello, Diana~" Vivian let out.

I was thinking of something attention grabbing, maybe with a holy symbol or two?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Active Effects: Giant Strength (21); Spell Storing (Cure Wounds (1st); Shadow Blade (2nd); Shadow Blade (2nd)

As the two tailors began to take measurements, Arioch kindly reminded them of the requirements of his armor, the pauldrons, and that the cloak should flow over it, while still providing warmth. "Something sombre," he intoned, "respectful, something that says, 'Should you wish to threaten my companions, your head will end up on a bloody spike.'" Once complete, he admired their work, nodded. "Thank you Masters, Calgar was not merely boasting when he spoke of your skill." He bowed to the men, nodded towards their apprentice, turned and joined his companions.

As they contemplated their travelling arrangements, he sized up the massive mountain goats, "They will serve us well, but I prefer the company of Rohoril, he has served me well for a great many years." A warhorse stood in the stable as the Paladin spoke, massive height, and with a broad chest, it's coat an inky black, eyes like coals, smouldering within it's head. "Shall we move to the teleportation circle, or did you wish to rest before we depart? It makes no matter to me."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Rohoril, elven for 'Steadfast', is Arioch's mount, created with Summon Steed, it is a Warhorse with the Fiendish template as per the spell. Good to go whenever.

14. - Top - End - #44

Your clothes in order, your gear well-packed, and your mounts at the ready, you're ready to go whenever you like.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

It is late. I suggest resting for the night, and leaving in the morning. That will also mean we will not have to worry about finding lodging or a place to camp in night. We will have all day to determine that.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #46

Show
    Assuming no one objects...

The night passes uneventfully.

Vivian finds Merincess and the two spend the night together, doing a "religious ceremony" according to Vivian.
    Lily spends some time communing with her patron, and otherwise gets some rest.
    Arioch takes a bit to do some research into his own ordeals.
    Kazumi focuses herself, and gets used to the new, fitted clothes.

But, come morning, you're all prepared to leave. Kazumi has the sigil sequence for the teleportation circle, and you can leave at any time.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since no one seems to have anything to add...

Kazumi draws out the sigils, hefts her staff, pulls her cold weather garb right around her, and speaking the last syllables of the spell, transports everyone to their destination.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #48

Your mounts trot through Kazumi's portal, quickly before it fades, with Kazumi monitoring. She follows, and the portal closes, leaving you to face the frigid chill of the northern air.

It's lightly snowing on the area you're in-a reasonably sized stone plateau, engraved with runes, just outside a lodge. The lodge has small puffs of smoke coming from its chimney, and is lit from within. It's the possession of the Plume, looked after by local emissaries. You step inside, just long enough to check to make sure the map you looked over is still accurate. They are, and the route you have planned is workable, as far as they know. Your wargoats are already munching on some rocks when you exit, with Rohoril eyeing them with a bit of weary amusement.

The path winds up and down the mountain, and you set off on it. With your mounts, you'd expect to be there in no more than four days.

Show
    If no one has any objections, I'll roll a few dice to check for random encounters, and we'll just kinda scoot by the traveling.

Spoiler: DM's Eyes Only
    Show
    Okay. Rolling 8d20.

The odd d20s are for morning, evens for later in the day. 1 is the worst encounter, 20 is the best. Any results of exactly 3 will result in an early encounter with the Frostbound Fiends.

(8d20)[10][3][6][16][4][16][11][4](70)

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Your first few hours go without anything of interest, save for the snow getting a bit less heavy.

When you break for lunch, you hear footfalls beneath you on the mountain pass. Looking, you see five humanoid figures. You're about to hail them, but before you do, Lily notices something amiss. She quiets you, and as they draw nearer on the path below, you see heavy, blue armor. Their faces are misshapen lumps of ice and snow, and their eyes glow red. It would seem the fiends are here.

They have not yet noticed you. There are four in full plate with large spears, and one in frozen scale with a massive axe.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Arioch hunched forward in his saddle as he watched the party of fiends move across their path, he held up a hand to the others, indicating danger ahead. "Frostbound, five, have caution," he whispered. He considered the terrain, and their own tactical position. "I will engage first, surround them in the shadows of the abyss, any which flee the darkness are yours to engage, yes?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Combat
    Show
    OOC: Ha! And all this time we haven't discussed tactics! So basically, if Arioch casts Darkness using my Sorcery Points, I am able to see through it. So they will have disadvantage on attacking me, and I will still have Shield if a lucky hit gets through, hell, if you tell me you want to fireball the darkness I could cast absorb elements to gain resistance to fire ... anyways, a quick discussion on a battle strategy then go?

21. - Top - End - #51

The path below is under a steep climb-Rohoril would struggle making it, but the wargoats and anyone with hands could make it without too much difficulty. Sliding down would be difficult, but much quicker...

Show
    It's a 40' drop. Climbing down would take you moving at half speed, as per usual, and sliding down would get you down fast enough to retain surprise, but would require a DC 16 Athletics check to avoid taking 3d6 fall damage.

The Frostbound are still a ways off-it'll be maybe a minute before they're directly beneath you.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Vivian gives Arioch a smooch on the cheek. "May Krisyta watch over you~"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

AC: 21 | HP: 81 of 88
    Inspiration: 0 | Channel Divinity: 1 of 1 | Sorcery Pool: 4 of 4

Arioch nodded at Vivian, a slight uptick in his contenance may have been a smile. A rarity indeed. "I will scramble down the embankment, once in position I will call forth a shroud of abyssal darkness, that, Kazumi, will be the signal. Call forth a ball of flame and fury upon them, and I too will enter the fray, preventing any of these creatures from reaching the embankment upon which we stand."

His intentions clearly stated, Arioch drew his longsword, forged of cobalt hued steel, and moved down the embankment with some haste. Unfortunately, in his haste to move down the valley, a section of snow and ice sheared from the cliff face and the Knight was ignomiously deposited on the valley floor with considerable force.

Show
    OOC: Move action to descend the embankment, Athletics check of (1d20+9)[10]. Are you %^$&(*$ kidding me! A natural 1, heh! Well there goes our plans! I'm assuming a failure means I draw their attention, and can't cast my spell?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-09-22 at 07:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Arioch takes a tumble down the side, slipping on a patch of ice. He crashes down, taking some bumps as he goes and landing prone.

Show
    You can still cast Darkness. But you'll be prone till your next turn.

Speaking of which, initiative!

Vivian: (1d20+4)[14]
    Lily: (1d20+3)[4]
    Kazumi: (1d20+3)[23]
    Arioch: (1d20-1)[19]

Spear dudes: (4d20)[17][5][2][11](35) no modifier
    Axe dude: (1d20+1)[14]

You can all take a turn before we enter the initiative proper, since you've got the drop on them.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

AC: 21 | HP: 81 of 88
    Inspiration: 0 | Channel Divinity: 1 of 1 | Sorcery Pool: 2 of 4
    Conditions: Concentration (Darkness 2nd level).

Quickly, before the Frostbound could take notice, Arioch, from his slumped position reached into a pouch and produced a piece of coal, which he crushed, and blew towards the group. A low murmur of an ancient tongue, and the black powder grew in density, obscuring all light, and producing a large field of inky blackness, that roiled, and flowed through the area as a thing, alive.

Show
    OOC: Using my standard action to cast Darkness, using 2 Sorcery points, so I can still see through it. My move action was to fall down the valley, so that's my initiative done. Fireball time!

26. - Top - End - #56

The Frostbound noticed. But before they can strike, inky blackness billows out. Arioch can see them facing him, as his position remains clear even in the darkness, but they clearly cannot see through it.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Kazumi, watching from where she had shifted back to her true form, grimaces as she considers what is about to unfold. Bloodshed is not something she is wholly against. She has, after all, killed, or lured to their deaths many fools who wandered into her grove with greed or lust in their hearts.

The grimace, instead, is for the tenacity fiends usually have in being destroyed. But...

What must be done, must be done. And there is nothing for it, but to do it.

Rotating her left hand in the air in front of her, Kazumi pulls heat from the air around her until a bead of pure energy appears in the air before her. With a murmured word, she thrusts her hand out, and the bead flings itself forward.

Show
    Casting Fireball. Targeting a space that catches all of them. If I have to leave any of them out, i will choose a space that includes the ax bearer and as many of the others as I can.

(8d6)[24]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #58

Vivian will start dodging, ready for Kriysta to protect her!

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler: Saves
    Show
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20+1)[7]

In the future, when forcing saves, please just roll a straight d20 for each save you provoke. I'll add mods as needed.

Three of the Frostbound drop dead into puddles of molten slush, while one of the spear-wielders stands tough. The axe-wielding one also stands strong against the onslaught of flames.

Spoiler: Damage Totals
    Show
    Dead
    Dead
    Dead
    -24 Spear

-48 Axe
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-09-23 at 09:49 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Lily could barely repress a smirk, seeing the grand knight slipping and sliding down the cliff. But the reality of her comrade being caught flat-footed surrounded by enemies hit her, and she hastily urged her mount to follow. Reaching the bottom, Lily whipped out her staff, and swung at the axe-wielding Frostbound.

Show
    Lily goes on the offensive.

Attack 1: (d20+11)[19] Damage (d6+7)[10]
    Attack 2: (d20+11)[17] Damage (d6+7)[12]

Let me know if I need to roll disadvantage cause of the darkness. Also, I can choose to use my staff's abilites after seeing if it hits, right?
    Last edited by Estralita; 2020-09-24 at 10:48 PM.