New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Champions of all Schools, 8 Alternatives to Abjurant Champion

Who said that only Abjurers can pick up a sword!

The following are a collection of Full BaB caster progressing classes that are meant to stand in as a replacement for Abjurant Champion for any character. While some or all of these may exist in a campaign world with each other and with the original Abjurant Champion, perhaps as rival organizations or separate orders of knights, they may not be used by the same character. So Abjurant Champion, as well as all of the classes presented here, gain the additional restriction that no character can take levels in two or more of them. This can be justified either by organizational ties or by the training required being to contradictory to master more than one of them. However, changing from one "Champion" Class to another may be the subject of a rebuild quest.

The first of the classes we'll be covering is the...

Dimensional Champion

Dimensional Champions are masters of Conjuration, the Teleportation subschool in particular. They specialize in movement around the battlefield and and delivering messages, being able to evade blows and detection to fight where others couldn't and escape when the battle is lost.

Requirements
    Base Attack Bonus: +5
    Feats: Combat Casting
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one conjuration [teleportation] spell.
    Special: Must be proficient with at least one martial melee weapon.

Hit Die

d10

Skill Points

2 + Int

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
    1st +1 +0 +2 +0 Body Flicker, Enlarge Conjuration +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    2nd +2 +0 +3 +0 Swift Teleportation +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    3rd +3 +1 +3 +1 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    4th +4 +1 +4 +1 Momentary Transposition +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    5th +5 +1 +4 +1 Martial Arcanist +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Spellcasting: I'll save you the time of reading and just say its typical full arcane progression.

Body Flicker(SU): At 1st level, you gain the ability to warp reality to step across vast distances. As a move action, you can teleport to any place you can see within 10 feet plus an additional 5 feet per Dimensional Champion level. As full round action, you may teleport to a location up to twice as far away. For example a level 3 Dimensional Champion could teleport 25 feet as a move action or 50 feet as a full round action. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If the space you attempt to teleport too is occupied or too small to accommodate you, the ability fails.

Enlarge Conjuration(SU): Again at first level, you can extend the reach of your conjuration spell across vast distances. Whenever you cast a conjuration spell, double its maximum range as if you had applied the Enlarge spell metamagic, but without any change in spell level or casting time.

Swift Teleportation(SU): Beginning at 2nd level, you can cast conjuration [teleportation] spells as a swift action, as if you had applied the Quicken Spell feat to them (but without any change in level). The maximum level of spell you can quicken in this way is equal to one half your class level (rounded up).

Momentary Transposition(SU): At 4th level, you gain the ability to warp your body instantly. As an immediate action once per round, you may spend one of your uncast spells or unused spell slots of 1st level or higher to teleport up to a location up to 10 feet per spell level away from you. Until you beginning of your next turn, you gain concealment if the spell was 4th level or lower, or total concealment if the spell was 5th level or higher. Additionally, your spells and weapon attacks suffer no miss chance against incorporeal creatures until the begining of your next turn.

Martial Arcanist(EX): As the Abjurant Champion ability.

Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Survival, Swim, Tumble
    Last edited by Jervis; 2020-09-10 at 03:21 AM. Reason: formatting

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Champions of all Schools, 8 Alternatives to Abjurant Champion

Next up we'll be covering a master of a unusual school for the battlefield. Illusion is often seen as useless in the heat of battle, but some warriors find ways to use it effectively.

Illusory Champion

Illusory Champions are the rare breed of martial caster that manipulates the battlefield with phantasmal images and shadowy magic.

Requirements
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one illusion spell.

Hit Die

d8

Skill Points

4 + Int

1st +1 +0 +0 +2 Illusory Transmutation, Eschew Illusions +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    2nd +2 +0 +0 +3 Subtle Illusion +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    3rd +3 +1 +1 +3 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    4th +4 +1 +1 +4 Shadow Knight +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    5th +5 +1 +1 +4 Martial Arcanist +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Spellcasting: I'll save you the time of reading and just say its typical full arcane progression.

Illusory Transmutation(SU): At 1st level, you gain the ability to shift the nature of their magic. Whenever you cast a spell with a casting time of one action and a duration of instantaneous, you can change the spell into a shadowy semi-real version of itself. Doing so changes it into a Illusion spell of either the Phantasm or Shadow sub school. Spells changed into phantasms become mind effecting illusion spells of the phantasm subschool, while spells changed into shadows become illusion spells of the shadow subschool. Spells changed into phantasms loose the ability to effect objects, you can also choose to selectively effect creatures that would normally be effected by the spell. For example you could choose to have only some creatures within the radius of a fireball that was changed into a phantasmal fireball, creatures that you choose not to effect with the spell cannot see the spells effects. Regardless of which subschool a spell changed by this ability changes into, all saving throws against the spell become will saves to disbelieve. Creatures that succeed on their saving throw and would normally take damage instead take 45% plus 5% per Illusory Champion level of the damage they would normally take on a successful save. For example a creature whole succeeds their will save against a shadow fireball cast by a 1st level illusory champion would take one half of the damage they would normally take on a passed save, or 25% of the normal damage of the spell.

Additionally spells such as Shadow Conjuration or Shadow Evocation become 5% plus an additional 5% per Illusory Champion level more real. As an example a creature that succeeds their will save to disbelieve a shadow evocation would take 30% of the normal damage from a fireball replicated with the spell instead of the normal 20%.

Eschew Illusions:(SU) At first level, you can ignore non-costly material components for illusion spells or spells turned into illusions with your Illusory Transmutation class feature, as if you had applied the Eschew Materials metamagic. (But without any increase in casting time.)

Subtle Illusion(SU): Beginning at 2nd level, you can cast illusions far more subtly. Whenever you cast a illusion spell or spell turned into a illusion spell by your Illusory Transmutation class feature, you can ignore the somatic and verbal components of a spell. However, each component you ignore lowers the effective caster level of the spell by one. For example a Shadow Evocation spell that has had its verbal and somatic components removed by this ability would be cast as if it were cast by a spellcaster 2 caster levels lower. You cannot cast a spell at a lower caster level than it's minimum this way.

Shadow Knight(SU): At 4th level, you gain the power to create a potent magical weapon out of shadowy figments. As a free action on your turn, you can expend a spell slot of first level or higher to create a magical illusory weapon of a type that you are proficient with. This weapon has a reach of 10 feet and can be used to attack adjacent enemies, targets touch AC, and deals damage equal to 1d6 plus an additional d6 per level of the spell slot used and deals your choice of magical slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage. This weapon lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Illusory Champion level before vanishing.

Martial Arcanist(EX): As the Abjurant Champion ability.

Class Skills: Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth, Swim, Tumble
    Last edited by Jervis; 2020-09-18 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Adding

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

It's been a while but i just learned today we can still edit posts this old. Now it's time for

Evocative Champion

Most experienced casters would say that casting spells that cause explosions or just damaging enemies is a waste of time and that spells are better spend redefining battles or summoning beasts to fight for them. Others, however, just want to throw a fireball.

Requirements
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one evocation spell.

Hit Die

d10

Skill Points

2 + Int

1st +1 +0 +2 +0 Protective Casting, Sculpt Evocation +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    2nd +2 +0 +3 +0 Widen Evocation +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    3rd +3 +1 +3 +1 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    4th +4 +1 +4 +1 Torchcast +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    5th +5 +1 +4 +1 Martial Arcanist +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Protective Casting(SU): You're use to being near the epicenter of your destructive spells and know how to protect yourself from them. When you cast a Evocation spell that effects creatures in a area, you can select a number of creatures up to your Evocative Champion level to be unaffected by the spell. Those creatures take no damage from the spell and need not make a saving throw.

Sculpt Evocation(SU): You know how to freely shape your evocation spells in any form you wish. You may apply the benefits of the Sculpt Spell metamagic to any Evocation spell you cast with no change in the spells level, required spell slot, or casting time. This does not apply to spells which could normally not benefit from the Sculpt Spell feat.

Widen Evocation(SU): Beginning at 2nd level, You may apply the benefits of the Widen Spell feat to your Evocation spells, but for no increase in casting time or spell level. The maximum level of spell you can apply this feat to is equal to your Evocative Champion level - 1.

Torchcast(SU): At 4th level you gain the ability to apply maximum power to your evocation spells, even when doing so is unwise for multiple reasons. When you cast a evocation spell that deals damage, you can sacrifice a spell slot or a prepared spell to increase that spell's effective caster level by the level of spell for determining level variable effects. This can increase the effects of the spell beyond their normal maximum.

For example a Fireball with a caster level of 9 would normally deal 9d6 damage. If you choose to sacrifice a 2nd level spell slot then the spells caster level increases to 11th and deals 11d6 damage even though it can normally only deal 10d6. If a spell is already higher level then it's maximum level for the purposes of determining level dependent effects, then treat the spell as if it was at it's maximum level to still gain benefits for it's level dependent effects. For example if the fireball mentioned earlier was cast with a caster level of 13 then it would deal 12d6 damage if a 2nd level spell was sacrificed.

Martial Arcanist(SU): As the Abjurant Champion ability.

Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Ride. Spellcraft, Survival, Swim
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-12-14 at 12:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Reserved 3

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

Reserved #4

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Reserved #5

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Potatoes are good

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Maybe typing Reserved #7 isnt the best idea. I'll be editing this later sure, but i should make it entertaining

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

Tell me what you think of this, and which school champion you want me to finish next. Also Reserved #8

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Reserved #9 just encase. Also to explain my design theory, these are meant to be more or less as good as Ab Champ, so they'll all have the same Chassis (More or less) with full BaB and spellcasting with a small list of school specific features that help Gishes. As for my own thoughts, Ab Champ is fun as hell but very poorly designed. If i were to change it i would give them the requirement of all martial weapons as well as a roleplay organization tie like making you find a master or join a order of knights.

11. - Top - End - #11

Pretty cool, but shouldn't enlarge conjuration and swift teleportation be limited to a number of times per day?

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Balance wise? Definitely. But i was trying to emulate Ab Champ, including its hilarious lack of limited resources. I based them on the equivalent abilities from the parent class so i left them unlimited use with, admittedly very generous, restrictions on what they could be used on. Enlarge doesn't do that much other than give your teleportation spells a range of yes, though i can see some problems with a few conjuration spells since its such a good school. Swift should probably be half class level like Ab Champ but on such a short class it doesn't make much of a difference, its mostly harmless and good for Swift action benign transposition to help positioning, though Firestride Exhalation could be a massive problem in retrospect. I should probably fix that later.

Also thank you
    Last edited by Jervis; 2020-09-06 at 05:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like this idea and look forward to seeing the others.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I'll echo Joshua's assessment above ..... this is an excellent thematic series of alternative "champions, Jervis.

Dimensional Champion looks terrific. Although I'd like to see the "dead" 3rd Level get at least a small class-ability goodie. Maybe something like a Benign Transposition effect 1/day once a day or something like that?

I'll throw my hat in the ring by requesting an Illusion-based Champion for your next PrC. :-)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd like an Evocation-based Champion for the next attempt,please.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Disaster View Post
    I'll echo Joshua's assessment above ..... this is an excellent thematic series of alternative "champions, Jervis.

Dimensional Champion looks terrific. Although I'd like to see the "dead" 3rd Level get at least a small class-ability goodie. Maybe something like a Benign Transposition effect 1/day once a day or something like that?

I'll throw my hat in the ring by requesting an Illusion-based Champion for your next PrC. :-)
    The 3rd-level ability is being able to Quicken 2nd-level Conjuration spells for free.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2020-09-14 at 08:47 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

My only issue with the Dimensional Champion is the 4th level ability.

It's basically Abrupt Jaunt - which is already considered super broken - but even stronger and not as limited in daily uses. It's really overpowered.

Plus, Concealment is usually related to the Illusion school. It's only related to Conjuration when it creates literal fog that affects sight, but it's not something inherent to a specific character. Personally, I'd reserve this part of the ability for the Illusion Champion and create something else for the Dimensional Champ

Maybe something like the Shadowcaster's Flicker mystery, where you teleport with an Immediate Action, but there's a miss chance if you do so trying to avoid an attack. The miss chance can be 10% per spell level, so a 2nd level spell gives you 20% miss chance against that attack.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

That took longer than expected. Illusory Champion was a pain to even come up with a concept for, same for the inevitable Enchantment Champion i'm sure. I'm sure that there are a lot of exploits in the first level feature and that this is way too front loaded but i thought that the idea of making a spell weaker to give it some extra utility, as well as giving a great excuse to alter the appearance of a spell, seemed fun. It was better than the original idea which was just +x to illusion spell save DCs. Id imagine that this and enchantment will be the worst balanced of the bunch but i have much stronger concepts for the other schools. Next time, hopefully soon, Evocation.

My only issue with the Dimensional Champion is the 4th level ability.

It's basically Abrupt Jaunt - which is already considered super broken - but even stronger and not as limited in daily uses. It's really overpowered.

Plus, Concealment is usually related to the Illusion school. It's only related to Conjuration when it creates literal fog that affects sight, but it's not something inherent to a specific character. Personally, I'd reserve this part of the ability for the Illusion Champion and create something else for the Dimensional Champ

Maybe something like the Shadowcaster's Flicker mystery, where you teleport with an Immediate Action, but there's a miss chance if you do so trying to avoid an attack. The miss chance can be 10% per spell level, so a 2nd level spell gives you 20% miss chance against that attack.
    Yeah i need to revisit that final ability. The idea was something to do with the ethereal plane but i can't say that it came out that well. Once im done and ive seen what everyone has to say i'll polish these up some more.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Enchantment front, the main thing one could go for would be de-arsing the HD-limited non-scaling Enchantment spells, as they're iconic to the first few levels. Or possibly a pseudo-Bard, given Heroism, Rage, and Good Hope (alongside Bless, but that's Divine), giving just Still Spell so one can cast with both hands occupied by gear rather than fully supporting Diplomancy shenanigans.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2020-09-18 at 11:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Yay! Nice work on the Illusory Champion, Jervis!

With Illusory Transmutation, are they any rules quirks when you change a spell with the Mind-Affecting descriptor (say Phantasmal Killer [Illusion], Ray of Stupidity [Enchantment] or Wail of Doom[Necromancy]) into a Shadow sub-school spell?

I don't think there's any Mind-Affecting spells that have Shadow as a sub-school ...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

What about casters, which specialise in two schools? Shouldn't these be able to take 2 champion classes, for as long these correspond to the specialised schools in question?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThanatosZero View Post
    What about casters, which specialise in two schools? Shouldn't these be able to take 2 champion classes, for as long these correspond to the specialised schools in question?
    Is there anything here which prevents one from taking more than one of these? You'd have to be a pretty high level character to do so but there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Is there anything here which prevents one from taking more than one of these? You'd have to be a pretty high level character to do so but there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it.
    I mentioned it in the introduction. The idea is that these represent a specialization in one school of magic and in martial combat instead of all forms of magic. Its not a hard rule that you can't use other schools of magic but its a justification for a design choice. Ab Champ is already the linchpin of just about every Gish build, I didn't want to crowd the Gish "economy" with 8 more choices that were a no brainer. I like the idea of having to make a choice which one you were going to use for a given character. Of course anyone using these for there games is welcome to lift that but i just liked the idea of it for my own. At any rate i'm working on the next Champion, expect that to show up sometime tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #24

Would it be better to just make them variants in a single class then? Have a single Arcane Champion class, and it gets abilities by school (or by more general specializations). Like Master Specialist.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

I was surprised to find out that you can restart homebrew threads after they were dead for a while if you were the creator. Anyway i'll try to finish this now that i might actually be able to use it soon
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323