New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1316
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    new limited set of TCG just dropped. Mostly reprints but shiny mons. This is the first time I've seen a shiny Tandemous and don't know how to deal
    Spoiler
    Show

edit - *opens two packs from a trainer box* oh look a $90 iono
    The Tandemous's hands make me uncomfortable. Congrats on the $90 card.

pokemon presents this week on pokemon day. They're making a bigger deal of this than usual (or it could be because the competitive circuit is pulling numbers and it makes sense to make a bigger deal out of it) and it's getting buzz.

Predictions?
    Mine - Legends Unova. Another popular one is a new mystery dungeon
    Oo, I'm excited. Hoping for something cool in Unova, too. It's my favorite region after Hoenn.

I have my doubts about a future Mystery Dungeon game. People keep hoping for a new one and they never come out with a new one. It's like Pokémon Ranger.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    The Tandemous's hands make me uncomfortable. Congrats on the $90 card.

Oo, I'm excited. Hoping for something cool in Unova, too. It's my favorite region after Hoenn.

I have my doubts about a future Mystery Dungeon game. People keep hoping for a new one and they never come out with a new one. It's like Pokémon Ranger.
    Pokémon Legends Mystery Dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Pokémon Legends Mystery Dungeon: Unova Ranger
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

Pokémon Legends Mystery Dungeon Snap: Unova Ranger Go Sleep?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #1265

Kalos confirmed.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Kalos confirmed.
    Yeah. Pokémon Legends Z-A, playing out in Lumiose city and apparently featuring mega evolution.

They're "skipping" gen 5.

Interesting...

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Pokémon Legends Mystery Dungeon Snap: Unova Ranger Go Sleep?
    Good jokes, everyone.

Kalos confirmed.
    Yeah. Pokémon Legends Z-A, playing out in Lumiose city and apparently featuring mega evolution.

Interesting...
    What? But I love Unova! Nooooooo.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

What? But I love Unova! Nooooooo.
    ....I think thats exactly why they're not touching it yet.

Between Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet catching criticism for not being as good as they could be and the glitch stuff, the Diamond/Pearl remakes for being rushed, it might make sense to be cautious by not touching a remake of something as beloved and popular as Unova yet if they can't deliver on it being the best it can be.

Kalos on the other hand....is not as well-loved videogame wise. its a region that as far as I can tell, isn't as popular but at the same time, there never was a Pokemon Z. so they experiment with another legends game using a region that is relatively expendable, while giving the fans something that is Pokemon Z-like. its an unexpected move that if they do something exciting and good with it, can respark interest, revitalize a region that everyone remembers mostly for having the worst enemy team and mega-evolution and give it something more for people to love and if it fails.....well, its not a failure that falls on Unova, mistakes can be learned from it and either they use it to make the Unova remakes better.

they're hedging their bets. even they know that if they don't get the games with N in them right that it will be bad, so if they're attempting to do the smart thing and not crunch that, thats a good sign.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting...
    They're not "skipping" anything. Anyone who sincerely expected Gen 5 remakes from this Presents needs to go back to elementary school and learn basic pattern recognition. Those aren't "due" until Gen 10.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    They're not "skipping" anything. Anyone who sincerely expected Gen 5 remakes from this Presents needs to go back to elementary school and learn basic pattern recognition. Those aren't "due" until Gen 10.
    Gamefreak has never been good at following established patterns, in fact they often try to break them up ones it becomes too predictable. And the gen 1 remakes where even in gen 3 to begin with, also gen 7. Still, people had been talking about the possibility of a Unova based Legends game, which seemed like a reasonable guess. Follow up a gen 4 game with a gen 5 one now that gen 5 has been in the nostalgia zone for some years with a lot of people appreciating it. There was also always the possibility in the air of a Pokémon Grey, a single remake with a story close to Black and White but the Pokémon availability of Black 2 and White 2. Although admittedly that's a much less likely scenario.

Gen 6 does make sense the way they're doing it. There are a lot of people who want mega evolution back, or at least wish there was a game where enemies actually use a bunch of megas. Paris anywhere between Louis the 14th and the Second World War is also a good inspiration for settings, it conjurs up mental images. I just wasn't expecting it. Also because I wasn't counting on a legends game in such an urban, dare I say modern setting, with the Eiffel Tower already in place. I probably was expecting something gen 5 first. Hence the "skipping".
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2024-02-28 at 08:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Gen 6 does make sense the way they're doing it. There are a lot of people who want mega evolution back, or at least wish there was a game where enemies actually use a bunch of megas. Paris anywhere between Louis the 14th and the Second World War is also a good inspiration for settings, it conjurs up mental images. I just wasn't expecting it. Also because I wasn't counting on a legends game in such an urban, dare I say modern setting, with the Eiffel Tower already in place. I probably was expecting something gen 5 first. Hence the "skipping".
    My current theory is that since the reconstruction of Paris overlaps with the Meiji era that the Legends series is set within the same general timeframe of the last quarter of the 19th century. Specifically showing the tower means that the pokemon equivalent of ~1885 is a good bet.

Of course mapping the pokemon timeline to real events is madness and I love it because of events like France nuking Normandy during either the hundred years' war or when doggerland was a thing and "god pony abducts a child"
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

You may be right, but you could still say it with a little bit less negativity.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ....I think thats exactly why they're not touching it yet.

Between Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet catching criticism for not being as good as they could be and the glitch stuff, the Diamond/Pearl remakes for being rushed, it might make sense to be cautious by not touching a remake of something as beloved and popular as Unova yet if they can't deliver on it being the best it can be.

Kalos on the other hand....is not as well-loved videogame wise. its a region that as far as I can tell, isn't as popular but at the same time, there never was a Pokemon Z. so they experiment with another legends game using a region that is relatively expendable, while giving the fans something that is Pokemon Z-like. its an unexpected move that if they do something exciting and good with it, can respark interest, revitalize a region that everyone remembers mostly for having the worst enemy team and mega-evolution and give it something more for people to love and if it fails.....well, its not a failure that falls on Unova, mistakes can be learned from it and either they use it to make the Unova remakes better.

they're hedging their bets. even they know that if they don't get the games with N in them right that it will be bad, so if they're attempting to do the smart thing and not crunch that, thats a good sign.
    That makes sense. They're testing stuff out ahead of the Unova remakes.

Conversely: Don't they make games like years in advance? By the time Z-A comes out, wouldn't the Unova game already be in production?

My current theory is that since the reconstruction of Paris overlaps with the Meiji era that the Legends series is set within the same general timeframe of the last quarter of the 19th century. Specifically showing the tower means that the pokemon equivalent of ~1885 is a good bet.

Of course mapping the pokemon timeline to real events is madness and I love it because of events like France nuking Normandy during either the hundred years' war or when doggerland was a thing and "god pony abducts a child"
    That's a smart thought. I was actually thinking the opposite—that Z-A would take place during the future, not the past. The trailer had all these clean scifi lines.

I think Arceus looks more like a ram.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

I like how disturbed Goh and Iris look while learning about Cradily.

Spoiler: What the Hell?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

I like how disturbed Goh and Iris look while learning about Cradily.

Spoiler: What the Hell?
    Show
    They are just genre savvy enough to not say it.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    They are just genre savvy enough to not say it.
    To say what? :O

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did everyone know that Magikarp is my favorite Pokemon of all time? Then my second favorite Pokemon is Gyarados.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Magikarp may be insanely useless in combat, but I wonder if there are other uses for them in the Pokeworld.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Magikarp may be insanely useless in combat, but I wonder if there are other uses for them in the Pokeworld.
    I know Magikarp is very weak. I love underpowered Pokemon.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    I have repeatedly made the observation that Magikarp is probably the most evolutionarily successful Pokemon, in terms of actual "fitness for their environment" evolution.

Think about it: They can be commonly be found wild in every region except for the one, Orre, that doesn't have any native wild Pokemon. They can be found in fresh water and salt water. Being mostly scale and bone, it's unlikely that they're prey species for most organisms and, in fact, the only time IIRC the idea of eating them comes up it's scavengers going after one that got stranded on land and died. IIRC there's one game where you can drop your fishing line into a one square-wide puddle and catch Magikarp.

Pokedex entries which, admittedly, need to be taken with a grain of salt, indicate that Magikarp can thrive in waters that are too polluted for other Pokemon to survive in, can bounce on their bellies for extended periods of time, can survive outside of the water much longer than you'd expect of a fish, and reading between the lines implicitly required very little food.

The kicker of course is that some games have wild magikar that are high enough level to have evolved into a Gyarados but haven't, which combined with the relative rarity of wild Gyarados compared to wild Magikarp, suggests that for all its power, Gyarados is actually a disadvantageous form compared to the lower level... Which kind of makes sense? It's many, many times larger and thus probably needs considerably more food even if its proportionate dietary needs remained the same, which is unlikely considering that gyarados is much more active. Also, pokedex entries compare them to natural disasters and note that they have quick and violent tempers which suggest significant energy output and damage to the environment which aren't conducive to long-term survival.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

Magikarp might not be more plentiful than other Pokémon for reasons having anything to go with fitness for the environment. It's quite possible that rare Pokémon are very well suited to their niches, but have been driven to near extinction in the wild due to over--capture. Viewed through this lens, you hardly ever encounter a wild Gyarados, because they usually get captured by other 10-year-olds shortly after evolving. On the other hand, there are lots of wild Magikarp around because no one wants to waste a Pokéball on them.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Think about it: They can be commonly be found wild in every region except for the one, Orre, ...
    They also cannot be found in Unova.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Magikarp might not be more plentiful than other Pokémon for reasons having anything to go with fitness for the environment. It's quite possible that rare Pokémon are very well suited to their niches, but have been driven to near extinction in the wild due to over--capture. Viewed through this lens, you hardly ever encounter a wild Gyarados, because they usually get captured by other 10-year-olds shortly after evolving. On the other hand, there are lots of wild Magikarp around because no one wants to waste a Pokéball on them.
    Trainers with Gyarados are also very rare, though.

It's more likely that evolved mons are rare because the environment just can't support them. They require more food and space, so while a few can survive, too many evolved mons will strain the ecosystem to a breaking point. They are forced to compete with each other, and most perish. The smaller, unevovled mons are, thus, more fit to survive in the wild, just like how large animals are dwindling in our world.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2024-04-09 at 08:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

The smaller, unevovled mons are, thus, more fit to survive in the wild, just like how large animals are dwindling in our world.
    Large animals are dwindling in our world because of human activity. It's not that they aren't "fit to survive in the wild."

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Large animals are dwindling in our world because of human activity. It's not that they aren't "fit to survive in the wild."
    Surprisingly, there's a fair number of humans in the Pokémon world.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprisingly, there's a fair number of humans in the Pokémon world.
    Which, I think, supports my theory that human activity is responsible for the relative lack of certain Pokémon in the Pokéverse.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ettin in the Playground

Which, I think, supports my theory that human activity is responsible for the relative lack of certain Pokémon in the Pokéverse.
    I think what Celestia is getting at is that human-induced evolutionary pressures are, in fact, evolutionary pressures, and therefore something to which the concept of "fitness" applies just fine.

The intersectional diagram* of "they can't survive because of humans" and "they can't survive because of something in their environment" isn't two separate circles, nor two partly-overlapping circles; it's a little circle inside of a big circle.

*"Venn diagram" is formally defined to not work for this description and Euler has enough things named after him
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-04-10 at 03:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #1287

We need a word for species slowly changing due to evolutionary pressures in the pokemon world. We should call it "metamorphosis" to fully mess with biology majors.

Also, new TCG set. rotation. all that jazz. none of that matters, I have multiple Snom
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I just wish that Gamefreak would be more receptive and inclusive of Pokemon that was created by fans.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

You specifically said that evolved Pokémon are rare because they get caught. I'm saying they're rare because of a lack of resources, a problem exacerbated by human activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just wish that Gamefreak would be more receptive and inclusive of Pokemon that was created by fans.
    They legally can't. That would cause copyright issues.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

[QUOTE=Celestia;25993751

They legally can't. That would cause copyright issues.[/QUOTE]

You're right. They can't unless fans work for Gamefreak though