New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    What stands out to me mostly of the "why the gen 1 references" is the inclusion of Red and Green at the battle tree in Gen 7. Like, by that time the Gen 3 remakes were most of a decade old, and kids would have zero context for who these guys are, and why they should care. It existed purely as a massive call back to gen 1, which would be totally lost on anyone under 20. At most you could claim it was more of a HGSS call back, but we all know exactly which game they were aiming for.

Honestly, the controls. I barely scraped the surface of the game, having barely left the tutorial area, but I was constantly annoyed by the stupid clunky controls. Like 3 different menu buttons, some of which don't even access the same menu as the others. Link controlling like a drunk semi-truck, with so many actions useful for fights tied to needing 3+ buttons pressed in rapid succession, when I lack quick response and dexterity. It was just a nightmare to play, and I had yet to actually get to the "real" game, which of course means a jump in challenge, and I had no sign that I was going to be able to handle it.

Luckily it was borrowed from my brother, not an actual personal purchase, and I can just borrow it again if I really get the itch to try again. But as long as Pokemon Legends: Arceus doesn't have as many control/menu issues as BotW, I might be tempted to try it. And I can also get it cheaper then normal due to work discount, but if its too close to BotW in the stated ways, I guess its a lot smarter to skip.
    I have no idea what you're talking about; I thought Breath of the Wild controlled fine. Regardless, though, Legends Arceus is very different in that regard. Most of what you need is on screen at all times, so you rarely ever need to menu. Even in battle, you can switch Pokémon and throw balls without ever opening the menu.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooh, headcanon for the new starters! (Spoilered because everything about unreleased games is usually spoilered)
    Show

The duck is or becomes a water-flying type (very plausible), the happy croc becomes a fire-ground type kaiju thingie (reasonable guess, but far from the only one) and the cat becomes grass-electric type (complete ass-pull on my part), so they have an extra interesting type dynamic between them.

Also, the region looks... last gen as far as render detail goes, if that's a thing you care about, but nice. Seems to be based on Spain, judging by the Southern Europeanish vibe, the square map shape we're partially shown and the Sagrada Familia-ish looking building. I wouldn't have minded a different continent, but it looks nice. I might actually start hunting for a cheap switch if this pans out, depending on loads and loads of factors.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2022-02-28 at 11:11 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

So, like, are we going to abbreviate the two games as Scar/let?

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Based on the buildings and the in-game map, other fansites report that the region will be based off of Spain. Any guesses on what Spanish references GF will add on a Pokemon? Maybe a regional Tauros or a wine-themed 'mon?
    I saw windmills in the intro, so there's probably gonna be some form of Don Quixote expy. Part of me thinks it'd be cool if the Swords of Justice were regional varianted into aspects of that story, as kind of a literary pun.

...And thinking of regional foods, I am not certain if I want Sprigatito to evolve into a Taco Cat.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I like how Pokemon is very diverse with so many real-world references.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #575
    Firbolg in the Playground

If it is Poke-spain I will be disappointed if their version of the El Cid historical character doesn't make it in
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #576
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post

I saw windmills in the intro, so there's probably gonna be some form of Don Quixote expy. Part of me thinks it'd be cool if the Swords of Justice were regional varianted into aspects of that story, as kind of a literary pun.

...And thinking of regional foods, I am not certain if I want Sprigatito to evolve into a Taco Cat.
    A taco cat would be Poke-Mexico, note Pokespain

...I am now imagining a pokemon similar to wurmple where you have a larval form that evolves into one of two cacoon middle forms resulting in widely divergent final forms... But instead of a bug it's a living food type pokemon and the middle form's cocoon is a tortilla. Whether it's a corn tortilla or a flour tortilla determines the final form.

the base form is a pile of meat, cheese, and spices, the middle form is one of two burritos, and the final form is either a plate of nacho supreme or a fully loaded taco depending on corn or flour.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-02-28 at 08:48 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Well, we've already seen old Pokémon, so that's out also, I guarantee you this generation will add exactly 94 Pokémon, so it wouldn't be enough to fill a full region, anyways.
    Oh, I missed that! That's too bad. It's been a bit since we did the whole new Pokémon only thing.

Still, I do hope these games are like Black and White in more than one way. And actually commit to the reboot idea. Retrospectively, Black and White have more similarities to gens 1-4 than it does to gens 6-8.
    Yeah, fingers crossed that the story's just as robust as Black and White.

8. - Top - End - #578

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    A taco cat would be Poke-Mexico, note Pokespain

...I am now imagining a pokemon similar to wurmple where you have a larval form that evolves into one of two cacoon middle forms resulting in widely divergent final forms... But instead of a bug it's a living food type pokemon and the middle form's cocoon is a tortilla. Whether it's a corn tortilla or a flour tortilla determines the final form.

the base form is a pile of meat, cheese, and spices, the middle form is one of two burritos, and the final form is either a plate of nacho supreme or a fully loaded taco depending on corn or flour.
    So if we take the anime into consideration with Lycanroc, it means that we'd have a Gordita Form presumably with fire sauce.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-03-01 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Scrubbed
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    So if we take the anime into consideration with Lycanroc, it means that we'd have a Gordita Form presumably with fire sauce.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    The truth is simpler: There's a region in northern Mexico where conditions aren't good for corn but wheat took well to the area, and people made tortillas out of what was available.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-03-06 at 05:25 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #580

The truth is simpler: There's a region in northern Mexico where conditions aren't good for corn but wheat took well to the area, and people made tortillas out of what was available.
    And that's how we get a pokemon with the Gordita Forme
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-03-01 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Scrubbed
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

A taco cat would be Poke-Mexico, note Pokespain.
    D'oh, my apologies if that offended anyone. Would Poke-Siesta be too much of a stretch for a campground/poke-refresh analog?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Now we just need a generation to introduce a grass crocodile starter, a fire turtle starter, and a water cat starter; and then the trinity of trinities will be complete.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I am in favor of this abbreviation.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Now we just need a generation to introduce a grass crocodile starter, a fire turtle starter, and a water cat starter; and then the trinity of trinities will be complete.
    This makes three bird starters of different types, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    that has actually already been achieved:
    fire: Torchic
    water: Piplup
    grass: Rowlet

Rowlet beat Quaxly to the bird trinity punch two gens ago.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

They're not the same birds, though. That is immensely unsatisfying. It's like cheating.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

They're not the same birds, though. That is immensely unsatisfying. It's like cheating.
    How is that cheating?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

19. - Top - End - #589

The cat's aren't the same cats, either? Likewise the turtles.

20. - Top - End - #590

That doesn't track, there's nothing in kashrut about plant-based foods. Maybe for whether corn was chametz or knityot, but switching from corn to flour wouldn't actually help there regardless.
    The world of food legends is a much more colorful, interesting place sometimes though. Even if it is 95% lies and exaggerations. The weird stories about food actually remind me of the in-game pokedex entries.

OT - I've actually been seeing some cross-talk from the SMT fandom hoping there's a Matador pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've wanted a Tauros evo/form for years, so I might finally get my wish if we get a running of the bulls type nod.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The cat's aren't the same cats, either? Likewise the turtles.
    Sure, but there are like 10,000 species of birds, about twice as much as there are species of mammals. If we get to use groups that big then the mammals, the reptiles (including the new fire one) and even the amphibians maybe, depending on what Bulbasaur actually is, are all complete as well.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I saw rumors (and wonderful fanart) going around that the cat starter is going to evolve into a musketeer...

Im calling it: the name is going to be Muskkitty or Muskitteer LOL

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I saw rumors (and wonderful fanart) going around that the cat starter is going to evolve into a musketeer...

If that's the case we're back to Chickorita levels of "the correct starter"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Sure, but there are like 10,000 species of birds, about twice as much as there are species of mammals. If we get to use groups that big then the mammals, the reptiles (including the new fire one) and even the amphibians maybe, depending on what Bulbasaur actually is, are all complete as well.
    I've completely lost track of this conversation. We were talking about how we've got three gens that do cat/bird/turtle of each element, right?

A cute idea! Each starter gets to be a sort of Spanish based fighter. Quaxly is Don Quixote the dumbass noble knight, Spigatito becomes a squave and cool matador, and Fuecoco becomes-

oh no
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-03-01 at 07:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

The Three Musketeers is French, though.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

That didn't stop them from introducing the Musketeer Trio/Quartet in the America region.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    That didn't stop them from introducing the Musketeer Trio/Quartet in the America region.
    Yeah we’ve already got Musketeer Pokémon.

Not that that’s stopped them before, of course.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Yeah we’ve already got Musketeer Pokémon.

Not that that’s stopped them before, of course.
    Yeah Quaxly is like the second starter water bird, and like the seventh duck pokemon in general.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've completely lost track of this conversation. We were talking about how we've got three gens that do cat/bird/turtle of each element, right?
    Crocodiles, turtles and cats, yes. Then someone compared that to birds, but birds are a big category, more comparable to mammals then to cats. And mammals also already have a complete set, as do reptiles and arguably amphibians. A much smaller sub-category of birds like chickens or ducks or crows or maybe raptors or ratites would be more comparable to the categories turtles, crocodiles and cats.