New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I only count 70 new pokemon from that link, beyond the 905 that already existed.

That's 25 short.
    Are you counting the Paradoox Pokemon in that? The version exclusive past/future versions of modern Pokemon?

Incidentally, the Futuristic Pokemon all feel lazy to me. They're all just robot versions of the modern Pokemon.

The Ancient Pokemon by contrast actually look like they could be naturally occurring ancestors of modern Pokemon, with relatively unique designs compared to their descendants and each other.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

I only count 70 new pokemon from that link, beyond the 905 that already existed.

That's 25 short.
    Apparently there's an official 1000th pokémon.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Apparently there's an official 1000th pokémon.
    I miscounted the first time, but that's number 977 according to a recount.

I mean, unless Bulbapedia skips some and/or puts them out-of-order.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-11-21 at 04:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

Serebii has 906 to 1010 as the Paldean pokedex. I don't think there's an official numbering yet for who goes where in that, but it does appear to be over 100 new pokemon in S/V.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm so happy that Game Freak made a huge milestone.

On a non-related Pokemon topic: I feel like defense is very important in battles. I know so many people don't like defensive Pokemon because they annoyed the heck out of players. But in my opinion, I feel that defensive Pokemon are very useful and important in battles.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

got a lot done today on Legends Arceus. revisiting early areas can really help with catching a lot of pokemon for the dex.

as for Scarlet/Violet....I've decided to give it a chance. what little I've seen it from streams doesn't look that bad. like these reviews constantly harp on the performance issues but they don't really talk about how often they happen and I'm going to give Violet a chance just to see if all this isn't overblown. maybe I'm foolish and it will prove the reviews right but maybe the issues aren't as big as they seem and the internet is just making a mountain out of a molehill as it is sometimes known to do.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Picked up a copy of Scarlet a few days ago. Yeah it has performance issues, but this game has charm. I am enjoying my journey thus far.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Picked up a copy of Scarlet a few days ago. Yeah it has performance issues, but this game has charm. I am enjoying my journey thus far.
    Can people get a bit more specific? All I read about SV is that it "is nice", it "has charm", it got "creative pokemon" and a "variety of teambuilding options for the early game". Cant get too concrete now can you? I do not give a flying flip about story revelations, just spoil me, but give a bit more info PLEASE.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

I miscounted the first time, but that's number 977 according to a recount.

I mean, unless Bulbapedia skips some and/or puts them out-of-order.
    I think the paradox pokémon count separately, as they have separate names. The "regional fakes" like Wiglett and Wugtrio also count.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I can explain it, at least where I'm up to now.
    This is the game closest to just having casual sort of strung together adventures. It's like the fantasy of an anime, or why there have been so many attempts to make a pokemon ttg.

You have your goals, and along the way you make friends, learn more about the world, and it seems like they're all leaning to a conclusion where they all clump together. Your rival this time is sort of a simp for you, but everyone else you slowly get to know better. You're sort of just vibing in a world where, for once, there's no primal apocalypse 15 seconds from happening. It's just sometimes you on the top of a windmill tower watching a group of skiddo get lead around by an evolved leader.

The bugs are there, there are some mechanical back-steps, they desperately need another engineering pass on the engine. So, like, wait for a patch, and don't power rush to the endgame
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2022-11-22 at 07:59 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Are you counting the Paradoox Pokemon in that? The version exclusive past/future versions of modern Pokemon?

Incidentally, the Futuristic Pokemon all feel lazy to me. They're all just robot versions of the modern Pokemon.

The Ancient Pokemon by contrast actually look like they could be naturally occurring ancestors of modern Pokemon, with relatively unique designs compared to their descendants and each other.
    I mostly agree, though the Donphan looks kinda good, and Iron Valiant is a mood if there ever was one.

Anyway I'm loving the game. I'm built different so I've experienced basically none of even the mild performance issues, which is letting me fully soak in the good; and the good is so good. Having finished post game and working on getting 100% dex (cause I actually feel like I can do it!) I can say this is the most fun I've had with Pokemon since Sun and Moon, and is certainly my personal favorite.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I was going to say Bulbapedia but it looks like they don’t have the numbers for the most recent Gen yet. Serebii doesn’t even have that yet as far as I can tell.
    Yeah, I checked Bulbapedia first thing and saw that the numbers weren't up. That's too bad.

That's 25 short.
    I wonder how people are counting them up to 1000+. Like, are they counting the regional variants?

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Serebii has 906 to 1010 as the Paldean pokedex. I don't think there's an official numbering yet for who goes where in that, but it does appear to be over 100 new pokemon in S/V.
    I guess we don't have a national dex anymore, but there's still the numbers in like... Pokemon HOME or something, right?

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can't wait for Pokemon Generation 10 but that's a few years from now. :smile;

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

My game softlocked in a tera raid and I couldn't get out. I had turned off autosave. My last save was some 4 gyms and 20 pokemon ago.

I am peeved.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

My game softlocked in a tera raid and I couldn't get out. I had turned off autosave. My last save was some 4 gyms and 20 pokemon ago.

I am peeved.
    I mean, yeah, that sucks. But on the other hand, you both turned off autosave (understandable) and then didn't save manually for a long period of time (one reason autosave exists). Crashes SHOULDN'T happen, true, but...

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think I can explain it, at least where I'm up to now.
    This is the game closest to just having casual sort of strung together adventures. It's like the fantasy of an anime, or why there have been so many attempts to make a pokemon ttg.

You have your goals, and along the way you make friends, learn more about the world, and it seems like they're all leaning to a conclusion where they all clump together. Your rival this time is sort of a simp for you, but everyone else you slowly get to know better. You're sort of just vibing in a world where, for once, there's no primal apocalypse 15 seconds from happening. It's just sometimes you on the top of a windmill tower watching a group of skiddo get lead around by an evolved leader.

The bugs are there, there are some mechanical back-steps, they desperately need another engineering pass on the engine. So, like, wait for a patch, and don't power rush to the endgame
    Thanks for the headsup. I'll pass on the game entirely though. I have enough games in the backlog (including PLA) that I dont need a subpar open world game.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Last night, I have a dream about Pokemon: They're the high council of all Pokemon types chosen by Arceus. All 18 Pokemon Master Trainers represent each type. They are the judges to see what crimes the other trainers committed that are Pokemon-related. They're Lawful Good. The council is called The Supreme Council of Arceus. I feel like that I'm going to write a fan fiction story about it.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I should've specified I was asking about mainline games. I'm not too interested in side games.

Crystal is fine, but it's a little hard to play sometimes because of the Gameboy's general clunkiness (not that that's the game's fault, but still).

Shield has significantly more streamlined gameplay, but it does hold your hand a lot, and it's hard to go more than 20ft without triggering a cutscene, neither of which is very fun.

I guess I'm trying to find a game that's a balance between those two, so I can actually play a Pokemon game without feeling like I'm fighting against it to enjoy it.

EDIT: Or, to put it another way, which mainline Pokemon game is the least aggravating to play nowadays?
    The best overall experience is going to be Gen 5. Both Black/White and Black 2/White 2 are the best mainline Pokémon games as they're definitely the ones Gamefreak put the most care and effort into. Next best would be the Gen 3 remakes, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Gen 6 had some truly great features, but X/Y, unfortunately, had other issues. Third place would probably be Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. Overall, the games are good, but the big problems with are particularly big. Everything else isn't really worth mentioning.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Can people get a bit more specific? All I read about SV is that it "is nice", it "has charm", it got "creative pokemon" and a "variety of teambuilding options for the early game". Cant get too concrete now can you? I do not give a flying flip about story revelations, just spoil me, but give a bit more info PLEASE.
    Essentially what Cerberus said. There are mechanical issues, but I honestly don't notice them much anymore. (but yes, please give us an optimization patch game freak).

I just enjoy heading of in a direction and seeing whatever happens- it feels like an actual trip. Sure, the views are not as amazing as Xenoblade or BotW, but they are nice, and the areas actually feel different. It's not just forest zone, grass zone, beach zone etc- its a Mediterranean savannah, it's a red canyon, it's an actual mountain. There is even a semblance of an ecosystem with how the pokemon behave.

As for the crunch well I am not the most qualified to talk about it as honestly, I do not care about it much.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #890
    Firbolg in the Playground

Exceptionally minor example not plot related or anything

Spoiler
    Show
    So there are eeveelution minibosses. Presumably all of them. They aren't advertised at all. They're all out of the way at the end of mazes and stuff and are not only level "beat your face in" for the zone but terra.

And you just see them by going off the beaten track on the way to the next badge activity you desire. There's lots of little things like that. Evolved mons in zones where they're not supposed to be being a one-off spawn watching over their kin. Caves that are just, like, full of stat items. Nature mints on top of a hill.

edit - oh and I just realized my Talonflame isn't getting brave bird until level... 83?!
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2022-11-23 at 09:10 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I am peeved.
    I’m guessing it’s too late now, but the game does keep a back up save
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #892

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Exceptionally minor example not plot related or anything

Spoiler
    Show
    So there are eeveelution minibosses. Presumably all of them. They aren't advertised at all. They're all out of the way at the end of mazes and stuff and are not only level "beat your face in" for the zone but terra.

And you just see them by going off the beaten track on the way to the next badge activity you desire. There's lots of little things like that. Evolved mons in zones where they're not supposed to be being a one-off spawn watching over their kin. Caves that are just, like, full of stat items. Nature mints on top of a hill.

edit - oh and I just realized my Talonflame isn't getting brave bird until level... 83?!
    Pretty sure Brave Bird is a TM so you can find it early.

Also yeah, regarding that small spoiler bit... I do love it. I love **** like that. This game is full of just, the best tiniest details.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

So, spoiler alert, Ash Ketchum, the famous ten year old with a couple of decades of experiences, seems to be heading for a retirement. He's reached the point where your DM says "Okay, that's an NPC now. You need to play something else. How about this Goh NPC we've build together?" So this seems like a good time to ask ourselves one final time: what would Ash's best possible team look like? It would be easy to just point to his team from the gen 8 championship, or even the one from the gen 6 championship, they're good teams full of good pokémon. But they do both double up a bit much on certain types and weaknesses, and I think because of this I've found an answer that might be better and might in addition satisfy more fans of the series, or make them hate it if like me they have an automatic kneejerk reaction against anything that's too popular, because we're going to be seeing some popular pokémon.

Now the first pokémon I need to pick is Pikachu, because a team without Pikachu might be the best team you can build from Ash's pokémon, but it wouldn't be Ash's best possible team, because Ash would never use that team. So slot one, Pikachu.

Slot 2 and 3 are pretty straightforward picks too. Ash-Greninja is the absolute star of his gen 6 team and has such a strong bond with Ash that he's basically a free extra mega evolution, even if there are rules against using actual mega's or limiting their use. Lucario also seems pretty obvious. Even if it wouldn't have the mega evolution there's still the whole Ash as an aura guardian thing they've been building for generations. Ash can seemingly help power up Lucario's attacks through this aura connection and there even seems to be some some of empowering connection all the way to Greninja through their common bond with Ash.

This is where it gets tricky. I'm trying to avoid picking two pokémon of the same type or three with the same weakness, which is a mark against a lot of strong picks. Melmetal and Sirfetch'd (by the way, I don't remember who it was, but someone here came up with the much better name Lanchallot) overlap with Lucario, Dracovish overlaps with Greninja, Gengar would add a third ground weakness (Lucario and Pikachu) and a lot of the other logical choices to follow up with are dragon types. Between Goodra, Noivern, Naganadel, Dragonite and the Dracovish that already has a mark against it we need to either exclude all but one or at best two and live with a double type. I'm going to choose to add Dragonite first. It's a pseudo-legend, it was on Ash's very successful gen 8 team, with its flying typing it helps compensate for the two pokémon with a shared ground type weakness and of the others Naganadel might not actually be available, I think he's off being the king of another dimension or something. (Greninja is also off on a mission to save the world or something, but we'll donate all of Ash's other pokémon to that cause, Zygarde has to be okay with that.)

So, Pikachu, Greninja, Lucario, Dragonite, and two slots left. This is the last point at which I can choose to give this team a feature that has been a staple of many of Ash's teams, although ironically mostly his less successful ones: a fire-water-grass core. These three types have great synergy, both offensive and defensive, and with so many very good options having overlapping types and problematic weaknesses with the picks already there it might be worth looking into. So the grass type would be Sceptile, that seems like easily Ash's most accomplished and competitive grass pokémon. The choice between the fire types is harder. Infernape and Incineroar are two of the front runners, very powerful pokémon, but Infernape overlaps in type with Lucario, Incineroar overlaps in type with Greninja, both do add that third ground type weakness we were trying to avoid, and Incineroar adds a third fighting weakness. The only way we get a team out of this where no weakness occurs more than twice is if we allow ourselves to pick one single type twice and add Talonflame. Or... Charizard. I told you I was going to pick popular pokémon. Maybe just give him a shock collar or something to make him listen to Ash. (That's a joke.)

No weaknesses occur more than twice, and all the ones that do occur twice are compensated for by at least two resistances or immunities, except for rock and fairy which are both resisted by only one pokémon (but with the resistance for rock being the 4x resistance on Lucario). Even all the weaknesses that occur only ones all have at least one resistance to them to compensate, and offensively the team is just as diverse. The average base stat total also lies somewhere between "through the roof" and "only very high because Pikachu is there". Strangely enough not counting Pikachu there are only two mon from his gen 8 team here and one from gen 6, with a mon from gen 3 and a gen 1/recurring pick completing the list. But these non gen 6 or 8 stragglers do seem to be pokémon that stood out as powerful within their generations. I have only two regrets. The first is that I didn't pick any ground types. I like ground types. My second regret is not bringing the Snorlax that can know 6 moves at ones. But the only mon it could replace if I wanted to stick to not having three mon with the same weakness are Greninja and Lucario. And I explained why those were pick 2 and 3.

So that's my attempt at finding Ash's strongest possible team:

Pikachu
    Greninja
    Lucario
    Dragonite
    Sceptile
    Charizard

Anything obvious (or less obvious) I forgot?

(Edit after there were already some replies: I could remove that one double type by replacing Dragonite with Goodra, but I don't think that really gives the team anything overall. Yeah sure, there's a bit less weakness against rock and ice, but also less stab moves and a pokémon who was on an individual level less of a celebrated battler than Dragonite.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2022-11-24 at 04:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894

You forgot Gengar has levitate and it sweeps your entire team because of a missed earthquake but beyond that this looks reasonably sold.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-11-24 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Gengar has levitate
    Ash's Gengar has that? I assumed it was a gen 7+ style Gengar with Cursed Body. (A change I only knew about because, well, I really like ground types.) Bulbapedia also seems to think that this is the case.

Still a very good pokémon of course. Seems to be well versed in the arts of both haunting and poisoning, and with no overlapping types and ground being the only weakness it shares with any of the others it could basically be used instead of any mon on this team with little trouble.

26. - Top - End - #896

Ash's Gengar has that? I assumed it was a gen 7+ style Gengar with Cursed Body. (A change I only knew about because, well, I really like ground types.) Bulbapedia also seems to think that this is the case.

Still a very good pokémon of course. Seems to be well versed in the arts of both haunting and poisoning, and with no overlapping types and ground being the only weakness it shares with any of the others it could basically be used instead of any mon on this team with little trouble.
    ... this is the first I've realized Gengar loses levitate. Huh.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

I googled the question, and apparently I'm [sarcastic voice:] super original to the point where there's basically almost consencus. Infernape is often used instead of Charizard, which is slightly less efficient based on types but very similar in terms of roles and definitely fair based on their dedication and win records.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2022-11-25 at 09:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

On a whole other topic, I've played my first few Showdown matches with the new gimmick, terastallization, a word so difficult to spell googling the right wrong spelling won't even get you redirected to the correct version. The short version for people who have avoided the spoilers so far: your pokémon becomes a defensive monotype, the "tera type" of that individual pokémon, but an offensive double- or tripletype, the tera type plus its original typing. The teratype can even be one of the original two types in which case the STAB bonus for that type goes up from +50% to +100%. And as always my first concerns are what it means for my favorite two pokémon: Rhydon and Quagsire. And for Rhydon I think this is actually quite a good gimmick. Switching into the bug type gives you surprise resistance to ground, grass and fighting, and at the very least a neutral impact from water and steel, but it also powers up your megahorn, making it more powerful than STAB Earthquake and potentially worth the 15% miss chance. Combined with eviolite and Rock Polish that seems like quite a decent toolkit. Predictable maybe, but pretty cool. For Quagsire the whole thing doesn't seem to do too much.

I am kind of disappointed that Smogon has ruled that in a monotype match all of your tera types must be your team's main type. Who knows, it might still change, or at the very least it might make monotype teams more viable (low) on the regular ladders.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

So, spoiler alert, Ash Ketchum, the famous ten year old with a couple of decades of experiences, seems to be heading for a retirement. He's reached the point where your DM says "Okay, that's an NPC now. You need to play something else. How about this Goh NPC we've build together?"
    I'm a lil skeptical. He still hasn't reached his goal of being a Pokémon Master, whatever that is, so there's still reason to keep him around. And if the writers never let him age or develop or achieve his goals, I think we'll continue seeing him till the end of the TV show.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Just finished the main story content of Scarlet. Despite its flaws, I think this is my favorite pokemon game. Much better than Sw/Sh in that i actually feel excited for the dlc.