New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    AND IT'S ALL CANON.
    I contest this. It may have been released in Japan, but given nothing like this has ever come out again, and has no doubt been contradicted quite a number of times... like how there is no Franch, and so on, I think it is safe to call this quasi canon at best.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wish that the Kanto Region Pokemon have more Dragons and ghosts.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Something I observed during GO Fest today: why does Magikarp flop around like a landed fish but Feebas doesn’t? They’re both rather useless until they evolve, they have the same body style, why does Feebas get to look more dignified?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Something I observed during GO Fest today: why does Magikarp flop around like a landed fish but Feebas doesn’t? They’re both rather useless until they evolve, they have the same body style, why does Feebas get to look more dignified?
    I don't know. There are so many things in Pokemon that don't make any sense. Such as why Arceus is a Pokemon Deity and Mew isn't even though Mew is the first mythical Pokemon in the first generation.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

The same reason wailord and wailmer don't look like beached whales, and tentacools still have their shape: It's a problem with Magikarp, not the other fish. I think it's a defense mechanism—if they look too pathetic to bully, then the humans leave them alone, right?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I am so goddamned close to being able to evolve Flopsie, my Magikarp companion. SO. DAMN. CLOSE.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am so goddamned close to being able to evolve Flopsie, my Magikarp companion. SO. DAMN. CLOSE.
    Quick question: do you have the quest 'A Mythical Discovery' active? Because if so, wait on evolving Flopsie once you get the candies, because one of the steps of the quest requires you to evolve Magikarp. (No one warned me when I started, so I ended up having to evolve a second Magikarp. )

But as far as getting candies in the first place, if you've already got Flopsie set as your Buddy but no time to walk, I've found that shaking the phone up and down is often sufficient to fool the pedometer into thinking you're walking. Also, opening gifts from friends frequently results in Pinap Berries (and near as I can tell, only Pinap Berries with no Razz or Nanab) so when you do run across wild Magikarp you'll have a bigger stock to double the catch candies with.

8. - Top - End - #398

Quick question: do you have the quest 'A Mythical Discovery' active? Because if so, wait on evolving Flopsie once you get the candies, because one of the steps of the quest requires you to evolve Magikarp. (No one warned me when I started, so I ended up having to evolve a second Magikarp. )

But as far as getting candies in the first place, if you've already got Flopsie set as your Buddy but no time to walk, I've found that shaking the phone up and down is often sufficient to fool the pedometer into thinking you're walking. Also, opening gifts from friends frequently results in Pinap Berries (and near as I can tell, only Pinap Berries with no Razz or Nanab) so when you do run across wild Magikarp you'll have a bigger stock to double the catch candies with.
    I've got it active, which is why Flopsie is my active companion. Ironically, I am far enough along that the 5 rare candies I get from that quest would be enough to evolve Flopsie.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Feebas is a stronger fish. In game they fill the same niche, sure, but conceptually they're pretty different. Magikarp is first presented in the first games as a scam, you literally paid for a useless fish. With diligence the most pathetic creature becomes a powerhouse, one that legendarily craves further violence.

Feebas is just supposed to be ugly. It's weakness isn't baked into the core of its presentation, instead pokedex entries emphasize its shabbiness. And then with diligence (but a different kind, fighting the Beauty stat instead of actual opponents) it becomes a creature of beauty. It's also initially much harder to find. A diamond in the rough, perhaps.

Anyway. It's Ugly Duckling instead of Charles Atlas.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2021-07-20 at 12:37 AM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got it active, which is why Flopsie is my active companion. Ironically, I am far enough along that the 5 rare candies I get from that quest would be enough to evolve Flopsie.
    So did you get Flopsie evolved?

11. - Top - End - #401

So did you get Flopsie evolved?
    4 short. My weekends don't give me much play time.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #402

Been playing Pokemon Unite. It's a free MOBA on switch. It encourages a lot of mobility and combat, has a lot of subtle nuances that rewards players that know how to play (like how jungling is a big deal, and rewards only go to the team that lands the last hit).

It's pretty clever, and not a badly designed MOBA, it's just tricky to find the right pokemon to play since a lot of them have unique playstyles and combos that aren't obvious until you've played them a few times.

It also does a pretty good job of making no position boring. For instance, the starter support you can get focuses on landing sticky bombs that heal allies if they're caught in the explosion, or sending out a terrain effect that speeds up allies and slows enemies, so you're encouraged to still be aggressive and stay active in the game.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-07-23 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

It is a bit too aggressive about monetization, though. Real-money to get and upgrade stat-boost items, and an extremely slow trickle of currency to unlock more playables.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #404

Man. Been trying to make decent teams in PoGo, made a big realization.

Was looking at top attackers in type. I wanted the top few of each type (non-mega), going for a nice spread over the best teams.

But then I was looking at their actual damage output... the top non-mega Psychic attacker, for example, is over 6x as "good" (using good ol' dps^3*tdo) as the top Bug. Even if we did a weighted geometric mean, that's still ~60% better.

Granted that's a bit extreme. Psychic has Shadow Mewtwo, and Bug is garbage... but still, even with super effective damage, the top Bug attackers *still* lose out to other types that aren't hitting for super effective. Kind of disappointing.

But then again, if you have no problems beating any content, it doesn't really matter.

Looking at the top 75 dps^3*tdo (based on both moves having STAB, and single best of a given type), there are 0 Poison, Bug, Fairy. Oof.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #405

Flopsie has evolved! He's now a 2340... not my biggest, but a respectable size and my second strongest water (after a Vaporeon).
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Flopsie has evolved! He's now a 2340... not my biggest, but a respectable size and my second strongest water (after a Vaporeon).
    Congratulations for getting Flopsie Pokevolved.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Word of warning for the next POGO Community Day, which is Eevee - the news article says they're reducing the number of hearts you need for Sylveon, but it doesn't say anything about reducing the amount of walking you need to do for Espeon/Umbreon. So if you want your Shadow Ball Espeon or your Psychic Umbreon, start getting those km in now!

Congrats! :D

18. - Top - End - #408

Grats!

Word of warning though, CP isn't a great indicator for performance in battle. Moves are way more important. For level 40 Gyarados, best Water moveset gives dps^3*tdo of 1321, and for level 40 Vaporeon it's 915.
    Word of warning for the next POGO Community Day, which is Eevee - the news article says they're reducing the number of hearts you need for Sylveon, but it doesn't say anything about reducing the amount of walking you need to do for Espeon/Umbreon. So if you want your Shadow Ball Espeon or your Psychic Umbreon, start getting those km in now!
    Man, I'm super excited for this. Eevee's one of my favorite Pokemon, I started playing again shortly after the last Eevee day, missed all those shinies. I'm looking to get a complete set (1 of each normal, 1 of each shiny). As-is I only have 2 shiny Eevees.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #409
    Colossus in the Playground

Thought experiment.

You are a mad scientist.

You have obtained a copy of the MewTwo genome. You have also obtained other Pokemon DNA samples and a lot of data about regional Pokemon.

Your mysterious, possibly evil employer wants you to make a regional Varient Mewtwo, the best possible variant you can.

What do you do?

My gut instinct would be to go for whatever type would give the best defensive "upgrade" over a pure psychic type but that's just me.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Thought experiment.

You are a mad scientist.

You have obtained a copy of the MewTwo genome. You have also obtained other Pokemon DNA samples and a lot of data about regional Pokemon.

Your mysterious, possibly evil employer wants you to make a regional Varient Mewtwo, the best possible variant you can.

What do you do?

My gut instinct would be to go for whatever type would give the best defensive "upgrade" over a pure psychic type but that's just me.
    Make two. the boss gets the weaker one, I secretly make the stronger one which I raise with care so that they're loyal to me, then when the evil employer inevitably mistreats their weaker version I take over with my loyal one, possibly even convince the weaker one to join my side during or afterwards.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #411

Thought experiment.

You are a mad scientist.

What do you do?

Yeah, I gotta agree with your gut there. I'm making a Psychic/Steel Mecha-Mewtwo and raising it as if it were my own child. That way 1) It's less likely to go on rampages as it understands love, and 2) When evil boss guy inevitably tries to remove me, my Super-Robo-Child will defend me by vaporising him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    Yeah, I gotta agree with your gut there. I'm making a Psychic/Steel Mecha-Mewtwo and raising it as if it were my own child. That way 1) It's less likely to go on rampages as it understands love, and 2) When evil boss guy inevitably tries to remove me, my Super-Robo-Child will defend me by vaporising him.
    I thought about Steel too, but it got nerfed and doesn’t protect against Ghost or Dark moves anymore.

But if we’re using pre-Gen VI Steel then Psychic/Steel is probably good enough. Otherwise I’d go bonkers, make it typeless and give it Wonder Guard as a special Ability, give it a pair of Safety Goggles and hmmm…maybe Heal Bell. Or Safeguard which Mewtwo gets normally. Something to protect against damaging statuses, at any rate.

23. - Top - End - #413

What do you do?

I'd probably go with mixing in Faerie type.

Fairy typing is used for guardian deities, happy go lucky mons, and mons who form deep emotional bonds with their trainers. In other words, it's the most emotionally stable type, the one that gives Mewtwo something to really and truly care about other than everything hurts.

I figure that it's the typing that is least likely to get me killed by an out of control Mewtwo, and the one most likely to stand up against my boss but not kill me if I show it kindness.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414

I thought about Steel too, but it got nerfed and doesn’t protect against Ghost or Dark moves anymore.

But if we’re using pre-Gen VI Steel then Psychic/Steel is probably good enough. Otherwise I’d go bonkers, make it typeless and give it Wonder Guard as a special Ability, give it a pair of Safety Goggles and hmmm…maybe Heal Bell. Or Safeguard which Mewtwo gets normally. Something to protect against damaging statuses, at any rate.
    I mean yeah, Psychic/Steel is not as good as it used to be, but it still gives the best number of resistances as far as I can tell (9 resistances and 1 immunity for 4 weaknesses, none of which are more than x2)

Honestly I'm less trying to make something absolutely optimised and more just "Mecha-Mewtwo would be cool I bet I could do some real Digimon-level silliness with that and stick like, eleven buster cannons in there."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I'd probably go with mixing in Faerie type.

Fairy typing is used for guardian deities, happy go lucky mons, and mons who form deep emotional bonds with their trainers. In other words, it's the most emotionally stable type, the one that gives Mewtwo something to really and truly care about other than everything hurts.

I figure that it's the typing that is least likely to get me killed by an out of control Mewtwo, and the one most likely to stand up against my boss but not kill me if I show it kindness.
    It also includes Hatterene, which will kill you for being too loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wonder if there's a Dark/Fairy type Pokemon that exists in Pokemon games? If not, then they should make one.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I wonder if there's a Dark/Fairy type Pokemon that exists in Pokemon games? If not, then they should make one.
    ...They already did. It's Impidimp's evolutionary line.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ...They already did. It's Impidimp's evolutionary line.
    Cool. I check out Impidimp's evolutionary line and it's awesome.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought experiment.

You are a mad scientist.

What do you do?

Flash Fire Bug/Steel is about the best you can get typing-wise.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Flash Fire Bug/Steel is about the best you can get typing-wise.
    Isn't Orre the south-western US?
    Orrean Durant sounds like bad news
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC