New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Isn't Orre the south-western US?
    Orrean Durant sounds like bad news
    Orre seems to be based on Arizona, yes.

Orre is also canonically the only place in the world that has no native Pokemon and has almost no pokemon there in th wild.

Considering the implications in the games that everything on Earth is either a human, a pokemon, or a non-pokemon plant or fungus... That kind of implies that there was some kind of extinction even in Orre and nothing came back to the area until humans did.

Regardless, I think it has region-specific variations of Pokemon.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Orre seems to be based on Arizona, yes.

Orre is also canonically the only place in the world that has no native Pokemon and has almost no pokemon there in th wild.

Considering the implications in the games that everything on Earth is either a human, a pokemon, or a non-pokemon plant or fungus... That kind of implies that there was some kind of extinction even in Orre and nothing came back to the area until humans did.

Regardless, I think it has region-specific variations of Pokemon.
    I mean a regional apocalypse-in-a-can could have easily gone off. I think Sinnoh is the only region without a direct self-destruct button, and the bad guys managed to... nearly destroy the universe with it. The three birbs are probably the tamest, but they could have wrecked Orre easily. Now that we know there are more Regis it could have happened that NO PEONY THIS IS WHY WE DON'T MESS WITH THE TEMPLES
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #423

[PoGo]

I've been doing some team-building research. Spreadsheeted out the top 76 PvE attackers (only considered STAB, did dps^3*tdo, and removed duplicates of the same type). I wanted construct teams of the top 6 for each counter, rather than say 6 shadow Machamps. Results were interesting. Of those top 76, Bug has 19 counters, Dark 5, Dragon 16, Electric 3, Fairy 2, Fighting 11, Fire 9, Flying 18, etc.

So this tells me... to get up to a full team of counters, I'll need to double/triple up on some of the top counters. Fairy is only beaten by Steel, Bug, and Poison, for example, but the top 76 have *no* Bug or Poison. In fact, the only 2 are shadow Metagross and Metagross. Electric being only beaten by Ground has Landorus Therian Forme, Garchomp, and Groudon, so again need to double/triple up.

Not quite a 180, but very different how I was thinking to invest my stardust.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think Sinnoh is the only region without a direct self-destruct button, and the bad guys managed to... nearly destroy the universe with it.
    I am confused. Are you counting pokemon-induced armageddon or not? Because I don't know what could threaten Kanto or Johto (aside from Mewtwo, or Ho-oh deciding it is time to kill and to grill).

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I am confused. Are you counting pokemon-induced armageddon or not? Because I don't know what could threaten Kanto or Johto (aside from Mewtwo, or Ho-oh deciding it is time to kill and to grill).
    The season birds can be pretty destructive and they're all full of murder rage.
    In some interpretations.
    Some times... Articuno sells sno-cones.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Most Legendary and Mythical Pokemon can be very destructive depending on how much of a threat they are.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-07-31 at 08:15 PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

The question is not if they are or are not destructive, but if you count them. Because if you do, unleashing Giratina onto the world is surely dooming it, and it gives the region "pokemon-doomsday" status as well.

And this is the main theme of Pokemon ever since the first generation anyhow. An animal/pokemon is not evil, but it can be used for evil means if abused by humans. It all works, except Eternatus. It seems pretty evil from the get-go.
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-08-01 at 08:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428

The question is not if they are or are not destructive, but if you count them. Because if you do, unleashing Giratina onto the world is surely dooming it, and it gives the region "pokemon-doomsday" status as well.
    It's been a while but I thought the only part of the Giratina puzzle actually native to the region were the lake spirits. Although by that logic the real threat residing in the Alola region is
    Spoiler
    Show
    nebby. pew.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

And this is the main theme of Pokemon ever since the first generation anyhow. An animal/pokemon is not evil, but it can be used for evil means if abused by humans. It all works, except Eternatus. It seems pretty evil from the get-go.
    Uh, that's exactly my point.

10. - Top - End - #430

I installed Pokemon Go for the first time ever a few weeks ago, on July 20 2021. After 20 days of consecutive play, I think I am ready to give up on it.

I avoided playing the game when it was first released, because I heard it
    1) Had a lot of connectivity issues, and
    2) Was missing a lot of features people expected.

Five years in, issue (1) seems to be resolved, at least in my area. Whether issue (2) is resolved depends on which features from the core series you want.

There are a few reasons why I think this game is not for me. First, of the various things to do in the game, the only ones I found fun to do more than once are exploring and catching wild pokemon. The combat system, whether it's a gym battle, a raid battle, a battle against another player, or a battle against a Team Go Rocket trainer, gets old really fast.

Next, the closest things the game has to a plot are the "special research" questlines. But the plots feel more like those of a post-game sidequest than those of a main story of a Pokemon game.

Moreover, a lot of the quests take the form "Do [thing that was fun to do once] 20 times," so they don't sustain my interest. This was also the issue I had with Ingress. Also, several of the special research quests involve doing raids, which I consider the least fun part of the game, so I'm avoiding them.

If I avoid battling and just focus on catching wild pokemon, then I run into another issue: I frequently hit up against the limit of how many items I can hold. The game encourages me to spend real money on PokeCoins to buy more storage space, which I don't want to do. And while some other freemium games give out some of their premium currency for daily log-in rewards, getting pokecoins without spending real money is much harder. The only way to do it without fighting raid battles seems to be leaving pokemon to defend gyms, which grants pokecoins quite slowly.

Maybe if I keep playing long enough then eventually I'll have enough item storage that it won't be an issue. But this is a freemium game, so there will always be some "quality of life" issue that Niantic will use to try to tempt players to buy pokecoins. If it's not item storage, it will be something else.

All of that is why I have decided to stop playing for awhile. Today, August 8, I reached 151 unique pokemon caught, so that seems like a good place to stop. Maybe I'll come back to the game in a year or two to see what they've added: Bulbapedia tells me that the special research quests weren't in the game until 2018, and Team Go Rocket wasn't in until 2019. They'll probably eventually add more stuff that I'll find fun to do once or twice before quitting again.

Final PokeDex stats:
    Overall pokemon caught: 151
    Overall pokemon seen: 232
    Mega pokemon caught/seen: 0
    3 star Pokemon caught: 54
    Shadow Pokemon caught: 10
    Shadow Pokemon seen: 18
    Purified Pokemon caught: 10
    Purified Pokemon seen: 12
    Trainer rank: 23

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently there’s a ‘bug’ where you can evolve Espeon or Umbreon without any walking at all, as long as the Eevee you’re trying to evolve is set as your Buddy. They’re not planning to fix it until after the weekend. :)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Apparently there’s a ‘bug’ where you can evolve Espeon or Umbreon without any walking at all, as long as the Eevee you’re trying to evolve is set as your Buddy. They’re not planning to fix it until after the weekend. :)
    Wow. That's awesome.

13. - Top - End - #433

I still don't like the chibi remake style.
    Legends looking better though.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Imagine a PU Pokemon rise to AG Pokemon. Wow, Imagine the possibilities.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah dude, I am totally imagining it right now
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I installed Pokemon Go for the first time ever a few weeks ago, on July 20 2021. After 20 days of consecutive play, I think I am ready to give up on it.
    Battery life was a main issue for me. But the game gets repetitive and grindy, plus I run out of Pokeballs and as yourself I don't want to spend freemium money on basic necessities. Yes, I know pokestops yield Pokeballs but there are too many pokemon in between.

Part of the issue is that I started in the beginning (was it 2016?) and was forced to bulk catch Pidgeys and Rattatas to build my trainer level.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Battery life was a main issue for me. But the game gets repetitive and grindy, plus I run out of Pokeballs and as yourself I don't want to spend freemium money on basic necessities.
    Can’t help with the battery life, but are you aware you can earn the freemium coins by defending Gyms? It’s a little slow (especially if you’re like me and live in Podunk, Nowhere away from most Gyms) but completely doable; I’ve been playing for ~2 years and am past level 40 and have yet to spend a single cent of real-world money.

You can also get Pokéballs by opening gifts from friends, if you don’t live near any Pokéstops.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Imagine a PU Pokemon rise to AG Pokemon. Wow, Imagine the possibilities.
    Wobbuffet came close, jumping from NU to Uber when Ruby and Sapphire gave it Shadow Tag (PU and AG didn't exist yet). Blaziken also jumped from UU to Uber when it got Speed Boost as its Hidden Ability.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Wobbuffet came close, jumping from NU to Uber when Ruby and Sapphire gave it Shadow Tag (PU and AG didn't exist yet). Blaziken also jumped from UU to Uber when it got Speed Boost as its Hidden Ability.
    Cool. I wish that Arceus was AG instead of Uber.

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Cool. I wish that Arceus was AG instead of Uber.
    ...But why, though? Arceus isn't a problem in the Ubers metagame. They can come with a huge number of sets, patch in most needs for a team, and are generally good for metagame diversity. They're not like Xerneas or the Primals.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ...But why, though? Arceus isn't a problem in the Ubers metagame. They can come with a huge number of sets, patch in most needs for a team, and are generally good for metagame diversity. They're not like Xerneas or the Primals.
    No, but Mega Rayquaza Is. It can beat Arceus along with every single Pokemon in the game. Mega Rayquaza isn't even a deity.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

I think anyone who isn't expecting that Arceus will have a new super powered form come the D/P remakes hasn't been paying attention.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

I think after Mega Ray broke everything, the Gen IV meta wound up banning Arceus from Ubers and creating a Gen IV AG.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I think after Mega Ray broke everything, the Gen IV meta wound up banning Arceus from Ubers and creating a Gen IV AG.
    I'll be getting my popcorn ready and see this show "Arceus broke the game" when it happens.

25. - Top - End - #445

New card set released, which is eevees + dragons.
    Or, as my card pulls are telling me: build a flapple deck.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Chansey is considered one of the best defensive wall Pokemon in the game. She got very high hit points. She is so great that so many players get annoyed by her defensive antics.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

The Pokemon Legends: Arceus game is supposed to be coming out late January, if that's what you meant.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

What do you think of Skuntank? It is my favorite Pokémon species so far.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Can’t help with the battery life, but are you aware you can earn the freemium coins by defending Gyms?
    I'm smack dab in the middle of an university town, I am WOEFULLY unprepared to defend a gym for my underdog team (Instinct....yay?) with my underpowered 'mons.

Plus I am pretty sure abandoning my old account and rebuilding a new one would vastly improve my abilities rather than rolling with my old account. Since new 'mons have become very varied, and I now know how to get a catching streak and XP with a new pokemon with a curve ball after a streak yields MASSIVE XP. I am not massively sad to loose my account of tenthousand pidgeys either.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm smack dab in the middle of an university town, I am WOEFULLY unprepared to defend a gym for my underdog team (Instinct....yay?) with my underpowered 'mons.

Plus I am pretty sure abandoning my old account and rebuilding a new one would vastly improve my abilities rather than rolling with my old account. Since new 'mons have become very varied, and I now know how to get a catching streak and XP with a new pokemon with a curve ball after a streak yields MASSIVE XP. I am not massively sad to loose my account of tenthousand pidgeys either.
    Up to you, but in case anyone else is in a similar situation is reading I’m going to try to give advice anyway:

• Pick off hours to take over Gyms. For example, in my area people usually take over the Gyms on their way home after work, which is in the 4 to 5 PM range. So if most of the people in your area are home by 5 PM, go out at 6. If everyone sleeps in until 10 get up a little early.
    • Try to take over Gyms right before a Raid - no one can challenge you until the Raid is over, this usually guarantees at least a few coins.
    • Since there’s a cap on earning coins, you can make up for quality with quantity and vice-versa - if there are a lot of Gyms nearby, you don’t need to hold an individual Gym for the full 8 hours 20 minutes, if you can hold eight Gyms for an hour or so each.
    • Beating Gym defenders and putting Pokémon in Gyms raises your Badge rank - the higher the rank, the more goodies you get when you spin the Gym. Ditto for feeding the defenders Berries.
    • I’ve found it’s helpful to space out the Gyms I take over when possible, and not to have them all in a row down one street, or similarly close to each other. That way when someone starts taking them over they don’t all get taken at the same time. This might not be possible depending on your Gym situation though.