New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I still want the spin-off game where a a mad scientist kidnaps a kid and fuses them with a Pokemon or otherwise turns them into some kind of hybrid with endings based on whether you stay fused, separate, or fail to escape from the bad guys.

There are a lot of concepts in Pokemon that are only around for one or two generations and never get fleshed out despite being super cool. We get a human accidentally fusing with a Pokemon in gen one and multiple pokemon being fused together in SwSH, so clearly, this kind of thing is plausible in the lore.
    I think there's a game just for that concept: Detective Pikachu.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I still want the spin-off game where mad scientist kidnaps a kid and fuses them with a Pokemon or otherwise turns them into some kind of hybrid with endings based on whether you stay fused, separate, or fail to escape from the bad guys.

There are a lot of concepts in Pokemon that are only around for one or two generations and never get fleshed out despite being super cool. We get a human accidentally fusing with a Pokemon in gen one and multiple pokemon being fused together in SwSH, so clearly, this kind of thing is plausible in the lore.
    Then there is the fact that in Gen 4 there is a legend that pokemon and humans were once one and same.

or the fact that in Gen 7, there were Dittos that took the form of people.

it really lends credence to my theory that everything non-legendary in pokemonverse is just dittos or dittos who forgot how to shapeshift.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Then there is the fact that in Gen 4 there is a legend that pokemon and humans were once one and same.

or the fact that in Gen 7, there were Dittos that took the form of people.

it really lends credence to my theory that everything non-legendary in pokemonverse is just dittos or dittos who forgot how to shapeshift.
    It's not Dittos. The ur-pokemon was Mew, the other Gen 1 Pokemon with Transform—who went extinct because they branched out into every other form of pokemon. Dittos were an attempt to recreate mews from existing pokemon, and while they managed to keep Transform, they... didn't get the other relevant bits of the mews.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    It's not Dittos. The ur-pokemon was Mew, the other Gen 1 Pokemon with Transform—who went extinct because they branched out into every other form of pokemon. Dittos were an attempt to recreate mews from existing pokemon, and while they managed to keep Transform, they... didn't get the other relevant bits of the mews.
    Well cloning is basically how cells reproduce through mitosis. saying they're a failed clone of Mew by itself doesn't mean anything, as both dittos and mews could be using mitosis to reproduce and one day one mitosis gone wrong and you got a ditto, and that ditto went on to reproduce into everything thats not a Mew. Mew is legendary so of course they'd come before all that and would make ditto first.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well cloning is basically how cells reproduce through mitosis. saying they're a failed clone of Mew by itself doesn't mean anything, as both dittos and mews could be using mitosis to reproduce and one day one mitosis gone wrong and you got a ditto, and that ditto went on to reproduce into everything thats not a Mew. Mew is legendary so of course they'd come before all that and would make ditto first.
    ...I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

What I am trying to say is that I find the hypothesis that Mew is the Last Universal Common Ancestor a credible one, and it is implied to be canon in a few places. Everything is a speciated Mew, not a failed clone—a mew that can no longer shapeshift and breeds true.

I further posit that Ditto is not a natural pokemon, having originated in a lab, and thus not everything can be a Ditto; Dittos are instead an attempt to reconstruct a Mew from existing DNA (much as one might try to "reconstruct" a woolly mammoth by adding hair genes to an existing Asian elephant). To say that everything is a "Ditto that forgot to shapeshift", I feel, is inaccurate because they are in fact Mews who lost the ability to shapeshift during speciation, and Dittos too recent an invention to be the LUCA of pokemon.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I further posit that Ditto is not a natural pokemon, having originated in a lab
    Where are you getting this from?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    It's a fan theory/in universe assumption based on pokemon layout. Ditto are often found in the Pokemon Mansion where Mewtwo was made, there are documents in said mansion talking about failed clones of mew, and Mew and Ditto both have Transform, statistical layout, and height/weight, as well as colour and shiny colour palettes.

As far as theories go I'm safe with saying it's just canon.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    In some versions of the Kanto games, Dittos are a common spawn in Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. You know, the building with the secret lab were people who found the Mythical Pokemon Mew and were experimenting with it, leading to the birth of MewTwo?

(Incidentally, while MewTwo in the anime and some manga adaptions is a modified clone, in the games they found a live mew and experimented on it and MewTwo is Mew's offspring, mutated by the experiments done on its parent and or further experiments commented on it.)

This has led to a fan theory that Ditto's were created artificially from the data collected from the experiments on Mew and MewTwo.

...Incidentally, in Lets Go if you have Mew or MewTwo as your partner who walks behind you, they are noticeably uncomfortable in the Pokemon Mansion and if you go to the tank in the lab they just stare at it, indicating that the Kanto Mew is the Kanto Mewtwo's parent and they both have PTSD from what happened in the mansion.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's a fan theory/in universe assumption based on pokemon layout. Ditto are often found in the Pokemon Mansion where Mewtwo was made, there are documents in said mansion talking about failed clones of mew, and Mew and Ditto both have Transform, statistical layout, and height/weight, as well as colour and shiny colour palettes.

As far as theories go I'm safe with saying it's just canon.
    Eeeeh. here is the problem with that; Ditto also appears on various other routes in Kanto and didn't even appear in the mansion original Red and Blue, they only appeared in pokemon mansion in Yellow and the Remakes. in the original red/blue they appeared in routes 13, 14, 15, 23 and cerulean cave.

various other routes ditto appear through the series don't have much connection with science research either.

furthermore, Ditto is similar to an amoeba or an undifferentiated cell, a single-celled organism with no definite shape, and single-celled organisms reproduce different from multi-cellular ones. and its perfectly possible for unicellular organisms to reach visible sizes, there are macroscopic unicellular organisms.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Then maybe Ditto should have been a mythical or legendary Pokemon since it related to Mew in a way of its DNA and cloning.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Then maybe Ditto should have been a mythical or legendary Pokemon since it related to Mew in a way of its DNA and cloning.
    If so, Castform should be mythical or legendary, since it's also artificially created in a lab from scientific origins. And Porygon. Maybe fossil pokemon, too.

(To be clear, I think none of these things should have happened; just that being artificial/a creation of science shouldn't immediately cause mythical status.)
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

If so, Castform should be mythical or legendary, since it's also artificially created in a lab from scientific origins. And Porygon. Maybe fossil pokemon, too.

(To be clear, I think none of these things should have happened; just that being artificial/a creation of science shouldn't immediately cause mythical status.)
    Wait, are Castform lab-created? You get it from a sciency place, sure, but that place is a weather station which presumably keeps them for research and/or forecasting purposes. I assumed they were naturally-occurring, just couldn't be caught in the wild. Like Farfetch'd.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2020-09-28 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I assumed they were naturally-occurring, just couldn't be caught in the wild. Like Farfetch'd.
    I mean the concept of endangered pokemon is not new by any stretch.

This has led to a fan theory that Ditto's were created artificially from the data collected from the experiments on Mew and MewTwo.

...Incidentally, in Lets Go if you have Mew or MewTwo as your partner who walks behind you, they are noticeably uncomfortable in the Pokemon Mansion and if you go to the tank in the lab they just stare at it, indicating that the Kanto Mew is the Kanto Mewtwo's parent and they both have PTSD from what happened in the mansion.
    The latter thing is canon as RBY diary entries state that they had Mew in there, trying to harness the secrets of its power. Mewtwo is basically a supersoldier project based on Mew. I consider this Ditto theory canon as much as I assume Cubone is linked to Kangaskhan. Or how Butterfree and Venomoth are swapped evolutions.

Because it just makes sense, and RBY had the Dark Souls approach of environmental story telling. Stuff was not so much in your face as it was just to be found in the wilds. Which now that I think about it, is a thing that VERY MUCH grates me about legendaries nowadays. Back in the day, it was RBY with Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. They just were there in the games. They had a bit of lore, but mostly they were just unique pokemon.

GSE then kicked it up a notch by giving Ho-oh and Lugia a place in a short mythos, but didn't focus the story much on them. They were side things. But from 3rd gen onwards, every main line game features their legendaries in the story. And I hate it. Because it made it canon that the weird 10-ish year old we control is controling this area's legends after what feels like a month of training. At least in RBY and GSE you could make the assumption that yes, the protagonist met the legendary, but not necessarily caught it.

While some games dont even let you progress until you caught the incredibly easy-to-catch legendary whose story significance is to be caught by the player, and subsequently being congratulated to DEATH by all the major non player characters. Yes, I am quite literally the best for catching this god amongst 'mon, with a catch rate of "oh god please just use anything bigger than a pokeball".
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-09-28 at 10:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes you're right about Castform, Porygon and the fossil Pokemon. I agree with you.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, are Castform lab-created?
    Yeah, it's not directly quoted by bulbapedia (as the minor NPC lines aren't transcripted, and they're the ones that say it), but it does state on the Weather Institute page "The Weather Institute has created a Pokémon named Castform, which has the ability to predict the weather and its conditions on a specific location." I'm certain that it's mentioned, I just unfortunately can't give an exact citation.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    While some games dont even let you progress until you caught the incredibly easy-to-catch legendary whose story significance is to be caught by the player, and subsequently being congratulated to DEATH by all the major non player characters. Yes, I am quite literally the best for catching this god amongst 'mon, with a catch rate of "oh god please just use anything bigger than a pokeball".
    I have to say that this ALONE irritates me to pieces. When I have played every handheld game from original Red Version up through X and Y, I DO NOT need the game holding my hand while I catch a Pokémon. Likewise I don’t need the supposed Big Bad to be nerfed down to four measly Pokémon.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wonder if there's a Knight Pokemon exist somewhere?

18. - Top - End - #48

I wonder if there's a Knight Pokemon exist somewhere?
    ...Which one?

Take your pick. You've got, off the top of my head, Corviknight, Gallade, Sirfetch'd, Chesnaught, the Swords of Justice (basically the three Musketeers), Escavalier, and probably Bisharp.

And we're not even touching other culture's warriors with pokemon like Falinks, Kartana, or Perrserker.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

...Which one?

Take your pick. You've got, off the top of my head, Corviknight, Gallade, Sirfetch'd, Chesnaught, the Swords of Justice (basically the three Musketeers), Escavalier, and probably Bisharp.

And we're not even touching other culture's warriors with pokemon like Falinks, Kartana, or Perrserker.
    Going to add: Zamazenta and Zacian.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Just imagine a dnd pokemon board game.Wait, that should exist already...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

PTU & PTA both exist as fan made table top games, if you're looking for a more classic board game, track down an old copy of Pokemon Master Trainer.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    PTU & PTA both exist as fan made table top games, if you're looking for a more classic board game, track down an old copy of Pokemon Master Trainer.
    like that one there ? i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J5IAAOSwpAhdCxGQ/s-l1600.jpg

lol there is a 5e game also pokemon5e.com/#downloads even with a pokelib phone app, last time i saw one it was a booklet :D

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post
    lol there is a 5e game also pokemon5e.com/#downloads even with a pokelib phone app, last time i saw one it was a booklet :D
    Good. Now we just ditch the trainers and plug the Pokémon into regular 5e as player characters. Et voila, knight pokémon.

First evolution at level 5, second at level 11, temporary mega or dynamax forms at level 17. Instead of an evolution you can always choose to receive an eviolite or other special held item. The mix practically writes itself.

(Yeah okay that game already has levels at which the Pokémon can evolve.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-10-11 at 09:00 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Good. Now we just ditch the trainers and plug the Pokémon into regular 5e as player characters. Et voila, knight pokémon.

First evolution at level 5, second at level 11, temporary mega of dynamax forms at level 17. Instead of an evolution you can always choose to receive an eviolite or other special held item. The mix practically writes itself.

(Yeah okay that game already has levels at which the Pokémon can evolve.)

Actually, this doesnt sound any bad. Oh i played all possible rpgs already and i have a strong urge to play something like that.
    I wish i can roleplay as an Onyx. Uhm hm. Brrr Hmm Uhm. lol

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post
    Actually, this doesnt sound any bad. Oh i played all possible rpgs already and i have a strong urge to play something like that.
    I wish i can roleplay as an Onyx. Uhm hm. Brrr Hmm Uhm. lol
    If you're going with Onyx, I might go for a Quagsire bard. Including stupid renaissance bard hat.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs up Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    If you're going with Onyx, I might go for a Quagsire bard. Including stupid renaissance bard hat.

lmao reminded me of that pic deviantart.com/chaos876/art/Giggity-145753186

That quagsire have a perfomance proficiency, some specific perfomance :D

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are there any genie Pokemon at all?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any genie Pokemon at all?
    Hoopa and the elemental trio from Black/White (Landorus/Thundorus/Tornadus) are designed to evoke common depictions and elements of pop culture genies. And depending on what you mean by 'genie' there are several pokemon that supposedly grant wishes.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Hoopa and the elemental trio from Black/White (Landorus/Thundorus/Tornadus) are designed to evoke common depictions and elements of pop culture genies. And depending on what you mean by 'genie' there are several pokemon that supposedly grant wishes.
    Oh, you mean like Jirachi? That's the Pokemon who grants wishes.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey all! New DLC, new version exclusives! Is there anyone with Sword who can help me with some trades?

I need the version exclusive omanyte, bacon, and to touch-trade for the Dex entry for regieleki and glastrier.

Let me know, either here or in DMs. Obviously i can trade the other version exclusives in exchange, or I have a spare shiny Zorua I found if you want something a bit different :) .
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!