New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Question: what’s the best (subjective, of course) order to play the games in?

I’d prefer something like going through all the generations in order, with transferring data from one game to the next. I kinda doubt that’s possible. I also don’t care about chronology/remakes/whatever. I actually did get a ways into Let’s Go Eevee recently, seems like a good place to start.
    Well, with Let's Go, I'm calling that your Gen 1 experience. I know that's not "fair" because the encounter mechanics and starter pokemon are all sorts of different, and there's a bit to say about the Sevii Islands of FRLG, but going from any title to the original Red/Blue is a whiplash, and I'm not gonna try to undo what's already been done. So, with your Generation 2 pick, you're going to pick either Pokemon Crystal on the 3DS or HGSS. For the time being, Crystal would be the easiest to get to a modern title, but for reasons similar to Let's Go, I would suggest HGSS. If you've already experienced modern pokemon battles, Stadium 1 is entirely skippable as it's just battles only with Gen 1 battle mechanics and a few minigames. There's a possibility of looking into Stadium 2 if only for the Challenge Cup and minigames, but it's again kind of lacking. I liked Stadium 2's school, but a bit of it is obsolete now.

Gen 3, well, I'm lead to believe I'm in the minority here, but either of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire would generally be my pick for where someone has never played a game in the series should start playing: Gets you the old style world design, modern attacks and typing mechanics, QR-Coded Super Secret Bases don't need online connectivity to play, XP share is optional, infinite TM use, Mega Evolutions, DexNav... I'll acknowledge they ain't perfect, but it's where I stand for a "Little bit of everything" pick. At this point, if you want to include Pokemon Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness, you would play those now as they were released in the Ruby/Sapphire era, but I personally have such a distaste for Colosseum and never looked at XD.

Then we're in Gen 4, which is going to be a pick between Platinum or BDSP. Luckily, those are three titles I haven't played, so I can completely cop out of that and say "Platinum if you like blocky graphics, BDSP if you prefer modern transferability." Yes, Platinum's got additional bits, but as a Diamond player I cannot attest to them. Pokemon Battle Revolution came out in this generation, but I also skipped that title, too. Gen 5 is easy, it contains direct sequels, so you just play them in order. Gen 6 is even easier because it's just X or Y at this point. Gen 7 is a bit up in the air, I enjoyed both the original and the Ultra titles, I would personally recommend the Ultra titles because they added a few pokemon, but the originals aren't wrong. Then Gen 8 is easy again.

Finally, for clarification's sake, if you really want to play a title in every generation, then the process changes to "essentially chronological order." GSC split RBY's special stat permanently, so you want to play RBY (preference to Yellow) before GSC (preference to Crystal). RSE introduced abilities and the IV/EV data structure that a significant portion of future titles use, but arguably FRLG is more geared towards beginners what with Teachy TV and the "last time you played the game" review so maybe FRLG then RSE (preference Emerald). Between DPP (preference Platinum) and HGSS... I didn't play HGSS, but living in the times everyone said having a pokemon follow you around is objectively such an awesome feature that no one wants to go away, so you'd play Platinum before HGSS so you don't need to live without that torture for one title. And you want to play either before B/W/2 because moves got their physical and special split then, too. And since B2W2 is a direct sequel to B/W it's kinda easy to figure out what order in which to play them, you get special bits for linking them up in order.

So, would I recommend playing ORAS before or after XY? Yes. I imagine playing XY would be priority at this point because B2W2, as different as it is from BW, still takes place in the same region so a new region would be more refreshing than another remake at this point. One of the criticisms of USUM is that it doesn't provide enough new things from SM, and as they're alternate realities one can claim they both happen at the same time, but as USUM has slightly more pokemon and features than SM, I'd still suggest SM then USUM. Let's Go, well, you already played that, but you definitely want to play that before SwSh, with expansion pass. There might be a point that one should play BDSP before SwSh, depending on how much you liked Platinum, what you liked in Platinum, whether or not the graphics fit with you, and if you like the idea of playing two remakes in a row- despite BDSP coming out later, it could still "feel" like a downgrade from SwSh in certain regards. And since Arceus is the most recent title with its own battle and effort mechanics, kinda want to play that last until we see what Scar/Let show.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest playing SuMo somewhere in the middle, so USUM isn't just repeating what you just did. Maybe SuMo after Unova, and then XY after SuMo.

BW and B2W2 should be play in sequence as they are directly connected to each other.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2022-04-26 at 04:58 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #663
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

FINALLY! Five great throws in a row!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I see you're just as clumsy as I am. Worst thing is that I play PoGo on the go (as in, on my way to work) so i cannot slow down my walk or else I am late. But I need a steady mobile phone to line up shots like that, making me stand in the street like an idiot.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats!

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Nice!
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #667
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, not usually one to post battle replays, but thread's been slow recently and hey, it's the cleanest game of Monotype against a type disadvantage that I've ever had.

Spoiler: Was testing out new Golisopod sets for, and was on the fence about it... until now.
    Show
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1552284101

For anyone who cares, the Golisopod set is specced with First Impression, Sucker Punch, Liquidation, and Taunt, specced such that just barely outspeeds an uninvested or 4-leftover-speed-EV-to-outspeed-mirror Aegislash, max attack + Adamant, and everything else in HP. It's great for Taunting Ferrothorns to prevent them from setting up as a lead, doing a Liquidation to hit any incoming Celesteela or Aegislash coming in without proccing weakness policy, or Sucker Punch to cover for, well, stupid fast ghosts like Scarf Gengar, Scarf Blacephelon, or Scarf Spectrier. Also, coutesy speed investment, outspeeds and can seriously damage Aegislash with Sucker Punch when it tries to Shadow Sneak.

And sometimes a free Teleport is just what you need.

...For anyone wondering about the Ribombee outspeeding the Dragapult, it's a Scarf Timid Ribombee with Switcheroo, Sticky Web, Moonblast, and U-Turn. Jank? Yes. Responsible for multiple blowouts because no one expects their Agility'd GMoltres or Scarf GZapdos to be outsped? Also yes. It is my precious speed control bee and I love it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #668

Does anyone know when we're going to get more/new weedcat news? And maybe info about the rest of the game?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Love it, Lechonk is best 'mon.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

11. - Top - End - #671

I love the English name. Whether or not it's a reference to the "chonker" meme or not, the name is super fun to say.

Also where do they find these TCG artists?
    Spoiler
    Show

Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Mightyena in that picture: gasp! I always wanted to eat my own head, how did you know?
    Elite Four Guy: I didn't, they just make it custom for every pokemon on the fly, its creepy.

also there is a voltorb cookie amid the pokeball ones, thats a nice touch.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #673
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I love the English name. Whether or not it's a reference to the "chonker" meme or not, the name is super fun to say.

Also where do they find these TCG artists?
    Spoiler
    Show

It's simultaneously absolutely, totally referencing the chonker mean... and also referencing "lechon" is a specific sort of roast pig meal that is super popular in Spain (and everywhere tbh). So it's literally god ****ing perfect a name, like mana from the heavens. Blessed to have the best name possible.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-06-02 at 06:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Mightyena in that picture: gasp! I always wanted to eat my own head, how did you know?
    Elite Four Guy: I didn't, they just make it custom for every pokemon on the fly, its creepy.

also there is a voltorb cookie amid the pokeball ones, thats a nice touch.
    I think Full-Art Sylveon did it.
    Sylveons are just kinda like that
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #675

I think Full-Art Sylveon did it.
    Sylveons are just kinda like that
    Gee, it's almost like they're a fairy or something...

Note to self, add a forest full of escaped/abandoned fairy-type hybrids who went insane and style themselves as the Fair Folk to Pokepunk somewhere...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Gee, it's almost like they're a fairy or something...

Note to self, add a forest full of escaped/abandoned fairy-type hybrids who went insane and style themselves as the Fair Folk to Pokepunk somewhere...
    Fairy Type Trainer: Look how adorable they are. They love making people happy, look what they whipped up
    Fairy Type Mon: YOU WILL CONSUME YOUR OWN FACE OR FACE A CURSE MOST DIRE

You: What did they say?
    Fairy Type Trainer: Nothing, eat up

You know, Sylveon being weird with the ribbons and Clefairy's ability to randomly and uncontrollably summon a nuke... or anything else, really does bring in the duality of mythological fey
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah thats why I love Fae: they can both be whimsical and edgy. whimsically edgy. edgically whimsical. duality, much like myself. they can force you to do the silliest things to avoid the most dangerous of fates and be both fun and trickstery and terrifying when they're angry. and Fairy types are no exception, as some of my favorite pokemon are fairies. Jigglypuff is a classic example, because they are fairy long before fairy type was ever thing:
    Jigglypuff: sings beautiful lullaby to anyone they see
    Also Jigglypuff: angrily draws on their faces when they fall asleep.

18. - Top - End - #678

Yeah thats why I love Fae: they can both be whimsical and edgy. whimsically edgy. edgically whimsical. duality, much like myself. they can force you to do the silliest things to avoid the most dangerous of fates and be both fun and trickstery and terrifying when they're angry. and Fairy types are no exception, as some of my favorite pokemon are fairies. Jigglypuff is a classic example, because they are fairy long before fairy type was ever thing:
    Jigglypuff: sings beautiful lullaby to anyone they see
    Also Jigglypuff: angrily draws on their faces when they fall asleep.
    I remember one episode of the anime where they deliberately set up a concert to lure Jigglypuff in because they needed it to use Lullaby on something... And jut left a set of markers on a table nearby.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #679

I remember one episode of the anime where they deliberately set up a concert to lure Jigglypuff in because they needed it to use Lullaby on something... And jut left a set of markers on a table nearby.
    Or the primal 30 foot tall Jigglypuff they needed to use to re-seal the apocalypse which had its own markers.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2022-06-03 at 10:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't it a rampaging Snorlax eating an orange plantation on the Orange Isles? Or am I combining episode plots here?

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Wasn't it a rampaging Snorlax eating an orange plantation on the Orange Isles? Or am I combining episode plots here?
    Yes you are combining plots. the rampaging Snorlax eating oranges occurs long after that. its the Snorlax that Ash actually catches too, unlike the earlier one that ate thorns.

the plot where they lure in Jigglypuff to sing I think is the episode where she first appears. its one where they go to Neon Town, a city that is always awake 24/7. lights, always on day or night. so they decide to try use Jigglypuffs song to make people sleep because it was literally making everyone jerks by never sleeping. or....something. I don't think sleeping was the actual plan, it was just the result, because- now I remember, they wanted someone to hear Jigglypuff sing and they figured that the city that never sleeps would have SOMEONE able to appreciate Jigglypuffs song, but they ended up making everyone in the city fall asleep instead and teaching the city a lesson about important sleep is.

though they might've lured Jigglypuff in for something else in a later episode, Jigglypuff was kind of a running gag that showed up now and then, even showed up in Johto at least once.

22. - Top - End - #682

Child me: "How could it be possible people can mess up their sleep enough to make them angry and miserable"
    Adult me: *uncontrollable weeping*

In other news, the TCG/Go crossover seems a dud. Go players get a pikachu hat, and the TCG set has 2 viable cards
    Additionally, Spigatito continues to be best starter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

By Arceus.....a cat who likes water.

this is some strange sorcery if I ever did see it. completely unnatural.

24. - Top - End - #684

The conspiracy goes deep

Although my best friend's cat constantly plays with his water bowl and can't be punished with the spray bottle 'cause he likes it.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Additionally, Spigatito continues to be best starter
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's going to be so funny when Sprigatito evolves into a furry.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

I gather there are certain breeds that are fine with it. Tigers, and on the domestic side Maincoon, dunno what else off hand.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Most of the stats in numbers make no sense. For example, Arceus has base stats of all 120, Zacian has attack stats, and Shuckle has both defense and special defense of 230. I just really can't comprehend these stats at all.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Most of the stats in numbers make no sense. For example, Arceus has base stats of all 120, Zacian has attack stats, and Shuckle has both defense and special defense of 230. I just really can't comprehend these stats at all.
    The Base Stat is a number used in generating the stats of a pokemon based on level. While you could use them to calculate stats at any given level, it's easiest to compare the base stats of the pokemon to determine how good it is because a pokemon's base stats do not change based on level. Moreover, stats scale linearly based on level (in games gen 3 and later, not counting hp which is a little different) so a level 50 pokemon has roughly half the stats of the same pokemon with the same EVs at level 100. Two pokemon with the same nature, ivs, evs, and base stat will have the same stats at any level you compare them.

Generally, Base Stats of less than 100 are not great, 100 is decent, and the higher above 100 the better. Mew, with 100 base stats all around, is very balanced and can do anything well enough. It's a jack of all trades - can't do any particular thing as well as a dedicated mon for that role, but does so many things at equivalent power it's impossible to predict what it does. Arceus has 120 stats all around. It's quite good at anything it sets its mind doing. Zacian's 130 attack is quite good, very few pokemon are better than it at Attack, and Zacian Crowned's 170 is only beaten by Deoxys Attack Forme and Kartana in gen 8, and additionally Primal Groudon, Mega Rayquaza, Mega Heracross, and Mega Mewtwo X out of all currently released pokemon.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Just found out that pokémon reborn got finished recently,so decided to give it a new go from scratch. Thus far, it's pretty good: the early game seems to have been revamped as well, and it certainly makes for a more interesting experience thus far. Characters seem to have been rounded out a little, and it's clear that the finished plot was used to revamp the earliest part to connect better to the whole. Which makes going through said of the earlier parts far more entertaining than a normal repeat run.

Currently got a (post-second gym) main team consisting of:

Kappa the Marshtomp
    Jörmungandr the Onix
    Banshee the Loudred
    Anansi the Joltik
    Yuki-Otoko the Alolan Vulpix (lucky egg)
    and Khensu the Umbreon (traded a shiny for an eevee via the fora)

with Ailm, a Pineco, on the bench for now. I remember a Growlithe being available before the third gym that I'll likely pick up as well. Just gotta think of a good nickname: likely Sekhmet or Nemean, depending on gender .

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The Base Stat is a number used in generating the stats of a pokemon based on level. While you could use them to calculate stats at any given level, it's easiest to compare the base stats of the pokemon to determine how good it is because a pokemon's base stats do not change based on level. Moreover, stats scale linearly based on level (in games gen 3 and later, not counting hp which is a little different) so a level 50 pokemon has roughly half the stats of the same pokemon with the same EVs at level 100. Two pokemon with the same nature, ivs, evs, and base stat will have the same stats at any level you compare them.

Generally, Base Stats of less than 100 are not great, 100 is decent, and the higher above 100 the better. Mew, with 100 base stats all around, is very balanced and can do anything well enough. It's a jack of all trades - can't do any particular thing as well as a dedicated mon for that role, but does so many things at equivalent power it's impossible to predict what it does. Arceus has 120 stats all around. It's quite good at anything it sets its mind doing. Zacian's 130 attack is quite good, very few pokemon are better than it at Attack, and Zacian Crowned's 170 is only beaten by Deoxys Attack Forme and Kartana in gen 8, and additionally Primal Groudon, Mega Rayquaza, Mega Heracross, and Mega Mewtwo X out of all currently released pokemon.
    Cool. I just learned something new about Pokemon Stats.