New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXX: Hot Skitty on Wailord Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well I'd still have to come up with a pretty good character concept before anything is done, a singular one this time, not characters that in retrospect felt half-baked like Astraea and Kinita. those will need work whenever I revisit them.
    My only requests is that if we're serious about doing this, starting characters should be late teens to young adult and the pokemon they're hybridized with should be something you could see as someone's starter--one of the regional starts, an Eevee, Pikachu or its regional counterparts, the first form of moderately powerful three-stage evolution, that kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Not quite the sort of thing you're going for, but lately I've been reading a fic called Arbitrary Execution and, on the whole, I think it does a lot of things quite well.
    Thank you for the rec, three chapters in it seems interesting.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-01-18 at 11:40 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My only requests is that if we're serious about doing this, starting characters should be late teens to young adult and the pokemon they're hybridized with should be something you could see as someone's starter--one of the regional starts, an Eevee, Pikachu or its regional counterparts, the first form of moderately powerful three-stage evolution, that kind of thing.
    I mean sure but....given the theme of coping with the change you stated previously, your leaving it kind of open to "oh no I'm this cute anthro hybrid of a pokemon everyone loves, how horrible /end sarcasm." aka the cursed with awesome problem.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I mean sure but....given the theme of coping with the change you stated previously, your leaving it kind of open to "oh no I'm this cute anthro hybrid of a pokemon everyone loves, how horrible /end sarcasm." aka the cursed with awesome problem.
    I mean, yeah. That's a viable option.

dysphoria and dysmorphia of various kinds can make something that would seem awesome or cool in theory feel terrible in practice.

Not that I'm expecting everyone to do that if this ever ends up being a thing, but a deep-seated perception that they are now in the wrong body or hyper-focusing on some kind of flaw or problem they have with their new form and needing therapy, a reversal of the process, or some other treatment to feel normal again is just as viable as deciding that being part Squirtle is cool and trying to go back to their normal life once they can or deciding "screw it" and living out their life in the wild becuase being part Alolan Vulpix means that they now have the option to live in the wilderness when they couldn't before are.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I feel that kind of story and loose mechanics would be far better suited to a game using the Golden Sun engine/gameplay style then a standard pokemon style. Each character has a mon they are turned into(character class) which they unlock more of the mons abilities as they level, and gene therapy by way of found medicine would be equipment. Special gene splicing would unlock evolution(character class upgrades) or change you into an entirely new mon(class change). The engine would also be a lot better suited to a story focused jrpg then the normal pokemon engine. You could even port over the Djinn system by having the characters use their human status to carry pokeballs which they use to call full blooded mons to do special attacks.

I would also put forth that if you are going to focus on the negative sides of being turned into a pokemon, I would suggest it being more stranger or awkward mons, not the familiar and cute starters. Imagine the horror of being turned into a Koffing or a Magnemite. Especially in the cases of early on to give the characters drive to get this fixed. If you want to explore the "maybe its not all bad" side, have a plot based upgrade of a character from a nasty mon into an actually cool or cute mon, and have them question their drive to continue. And to keep them on, maybe set them up being real close to one of the other party members, and use their compassion for them as a push. The starting as weird or awkward mons also means you have places to go in terms of leveling up and class changes. Starting the game as a Rattata but ending the game as an Absol would be a great way to feel like you have come far and made progress.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    I feel that kind of story and loose mechanics would be far better suited to a game using the Golden Sun engine/gameplay style then a standard pokemon style. Each character has a mon they are turned into(character class) which they unlock more of the mons abilities as they level, and gene therapy by way of found medicine would be equipment. Special gene splicing would unlock evolution(character class upgrades) or change you into an entirely new mon(class change). The engine would also be a lot better suited to a story focused jrpg then the normal pokemon engine. You could even port over the Djinn system by having the characters use their human status to carry pokeballs which they use to call full blooded mons to do special attacks.

I would also put forth that if you are going to focus on the negative sides of being turned into a pokemon, I would suggest it being more stranger or awkward mons, not the familiar and cute starters. Imagine the horror of being turned into a Koffing or a Magnemite. Especially in the cases of early on to give the characters drive to get this fixed. If you want to explore the "maybe its not all bad" side, have a plot based upgrade of a character from a nasty mon into an actually cool or cute mon, and have them question their drive to continue. And to keep them on, maybe set them up being real close to one of the other party members, and use their compassion for them as a push. The starting as weird or awkward mons also means you have places to go in terms of leveling up and class changes. Starting the game as a Rattata but ending the game as an Absol would be a great way to feel like you have come far and made progress.
    First of all we do freeform, so mechanics aren't really our concern.

But see Rater, this at least is something creative and taking into account the changes involved in a logical manner rather than just Just One Changing it and hoping it works out by sticking to canon. This is the kind of thing someone has to think about when changing it up, because often you can't just have one change, there are domino effects as well as support structures to enable a premise to work. your not going to get what you want unless have that connective tissue that really makes things work.

and here is the thing: why is a company making pokemon hybrids in the first place? for what purpose? even a mad scientist must have a reason for doing what they do because even they must give a reason why they must get funding from the corp to do their crazy experiment- in short the corporation must expect some way to turn a profit with it. which ironically incentivizes the scientist to figure out a way to make the transformation desirable to a consumer. after all they technically do not need to do this for any pragmatic or practical reason- anything that can be achieved by a pokemon hybrid could probably be achieved much easier by using a normal pokemon trained for the job.

that and you must take into account the culture of pokemon-verse. there are tons of kids and pokemaniacs who DRESS UP as pokemon in the games. pokemon itself is from the culture that invented nekomimi. the public reaction to a pokemon hybrid particularly if they are cute probably wouldn't be very X-men-like or hateful at all. it would be more along the lines of "oh your half pokemon? sugoi! your so kawaii! I have this total pokemaniac friend could you tell him how you got like this?"

6. - Top - End - #126

Why do Cyber/Biopunk Megacorps do anything?

Either they think they can make money on it or they're secretly trying to make supersoldiers for the sake of black hat corporate warfare. Usually both.

The fact that most people would think that the tech is cool just guarantees that the treatments will be profitable once perfected, but you can't just test this on volunteers, rapidly deconstructing and rebuilding a living body in ways that might make the person no longer organic(most rock, ground, and steel types) so you kidnap some people who wandered into places they shouldn't have and do the testing under the table and fake up the docs later.

Odds are, the PCs wouldn't be the first people tested on, they'd just be the first ones to survive the procedure.

And if we're going full punk with it, it's likely that the Region's Government are in the pocket of one or more corporations, so going up and saying.

And on downsides... Yeah, you look all cool and kawaii. But you probably have new instincts to get used to. You're still mostly humanoid, but your flesh might be made of stone or metal or plant matter and you might have extra limbs or a tail to get used to... You might have been fused with a parasitic fungus that's infecting the mindless bug-man that used to be most of your body.

One of my examples was a boy fused with a slugma who wants either a cure or a suit that can contain his body heat becuase he can't touch anyone.

Even if you don't develop sensations of dysphoria, dysmorphia, or other "this is something wrong with my body" issues, that's gonna take getting used to.

Even if someone gets to be a cool Mon and wants to keep the changes, there could still be issues: A rock or fire typo might have trouble with personal hygiene due to sensitivity to water. The young woman who still has the Eevee Kigarumi they wore in her Pokekid days might be psyched that she now has the traits of her favorite Pokemon, but all that fluffy fur might get uncomfortably warm.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I have just sort of completed a casual challenge run in White 2. ... To beat the champion, not only did I switch out those held items for leftovers and a shell bell (I never picked up the eviolite), I also resorted to emulator save state scumming, saving between enemy pokémon during the match (because I wanted to do a run with cheated-in Pokémon I was on an emulator anyway). ... I must therefore conclude that rather distressingly over the course of the last decade I have become over ten levels worse at playing Pokémon games. (Go to original post for full text.)
    Update: got it legit within my own rules by grinding another half level or so before the elite four and trying the champion fight a bunch of times. Some unlucky XP distribution (read: a very nice and lucky sweep by one of these guys, I'll take it) saw both of my mon juuuust ticking over into level 69 and 70 respectively, so I must now amend my conclusion: I am at least eleven levels worse at Pokémon than I was a decade ago.

I even actually thought of recording my battles somewhere halfway through my tries today, so I have the successful run saved.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2021-01-19 at 04:52 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #128

Re: Pokepunk

Doing research, I think the Machop Evolutionary Family is a good example for illustrating what I'm talking about.

It's a relatively well-known pokemon. Relative well-liked, and a hybrid of human and mon using a Machoke is going to be almost completly humanoid-0-you'd probably just look like a muscular human with very slight reptilian traits and weird skin color.

But, based on Pokedex entries, the Machop evolutionary line is compelled to do constant weight training and instinctively seeks to study every kind of martial art it can find in a tireless quest to become stronger even though it already has absurd superhuman strength.

If you're already a muscle head or martial arts fanatic this might be a dream come true, but for anyone else, the compulsion and instincts might feel unnatural and cause problems.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If I was a Pokemon, I would be Magikarp.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

The issues that come to my mind are more practical concerns like fleas (fur), stairs (anything without human proportioned legs and feet), or anything else that was designed for humans exclusively - can someone with crab hands or bug exoskeleton fingers manage a touch screen, for example? Admittedly some of that depends on how you set up your setting.

11. - Top - End - #131

I mean, if we're talking about what Pokemon we'd be I'd probably be a Snorlax.

I'm a big fat guy that's constantly tired and/or hungry, mostly just wants to sleep, and it takes me seventeen years to get out of bed.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

What Pokémon we'd be, poeh...

I'm definitely a bit like both of my favorites, Rhydon and Quagsire, but I may not actually be cool enough to be either of those. Or well, cool may be the wrong word, especially in Quagsire's case. I would also like the ground and water types, though preferably in that order, as I'm not much of a fish. I'm guessing I would be somewhere in the general Surf-Strength-Bulldoze space. Maybe a giant Bibarel, or the illusive male Miltank, of like a Beartic but as in those pictures where it looks kind of dopey rather than the pictures where it looks like an absolute rockstar making you wish it was a better mon to use so you'd use it all the time. Something like that. Or maybe just a Rhydon who was raised by Quagsires, that might work. Slap a Rain Dance on there or something and call it a day.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2021-01-20 at 11:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thiiiiiink I'd be a Kadabra.

Abra's pokedex entry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokédex
    Sleeps 18 hours a day. If it senses danger, it will teleport itself to safety even as it sleeps.

It can teleport itself to safety while it's asleep, but when it wakes, it doesn't know where it is, so it panics.
    This was me as a teenager.

Kadabra:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokédex
    Many odd things happen if this Pokémon is close by. For example, it makes clocks run backwards.

If one is nearby, an eerie shadow appears on TV screens. Seeing the shadow is said to bring bad luck.
    This level of tech issue is endemic to me right now.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

In Pokemon Go, does anyone have any idea what the guidelines are for what level of pokeball you need for what strength of wild pokemon?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

If I was a Pokémon, I would probably be... Toucannon? Come from annoying hyperactive and noisy woodpecker line, becomes grumpy looking as final evolution but yet gentlemen looking. I’m a heat source and prefer high places and fresh air. Maybe I would be Driftblim though so it’s one or the other.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    In Pokemon Go, does anyone have any idea what the guidelines are for what level of pokeball you need for what strength of wild pokemon?
    Depends on the species I think. But check the circle you’re throwing at; if it’s green for a given Pokeball/Pokémon combination odds are good you’ll catch it. The circle will shade into yellow, then orange, then red and the closer to red the harder it is to catch. Note that Razz Berries will make things easier as will ‘Nice’ ‘Great’ and ‘Excellent’ throws (the harder the throw bonus is to accomplish the better the bonus).

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Also, catch bonuses stack. Getting an excellent throw adds around as much to your success chance as using an ultra ball, but doing both is better, and making an excellent curve throw with an ultra ball after feeding a golden razz berry is a lot better again. The best thing you can do to catch faster is practice curve balls. Yes, it feels really counter-intuitive at first. Practice on pokémon with large circles if you can, like 4 and 5 star raids.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Not quite the sort of thing you're going for, but lately I've been reading a fic called Arbitrary Execution and, on the whole, I think it does a lot of things quite well.
    As I have just finished reading the story in question...

Very much recommending it. It's not the best fanfic I've ever read, but it's definitely in the top ten.

I sympathized with the protagonist, For parts of it I was on the edge of my seat, and parts of it made me cry. All of the elements of a good read.

It's also a very interesting twist on a familiar setting. Some of the setting details are a little iffy, but...

Honestly, I like how they reimagine Team Rocket, so...

If anyone is looking for a read.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

What Pokémon we'd be,
    Actually, the move I would possibly like to have most in any kind of real life situation is String Shot. It's pretty bad in the games, but in reality it would mean an infinite supply of rope, plus basically super knot powers. I can go abseiling, tower building, car towing, tree slinging. With a proper mold* you could even shoot up your own clothes, what a time saver!** Yeah, flying is objectively cooler, but String Shot is more me. My main problem is that pretty much all Pokémon that learn it are, well, not my idea of what I want to be when I grow up. It's not a TM, but there is a move tutor in Heartgold/Soulsilver who can teach the move to a few cooler mon, like Pinsir and Armaldo. Armaldo has the kind of stat balance I would see myself with, its type weaknesses are pretty reasonable, the ability Battle Armor is fitting enough, even the Pokéathlon stats are quite me. Having no hands wouldn't be a problem right? I can work with being one of the cooler fossil Pokémon. Assuming the move tutor ever learned about later generations something like Golisopod might even be an option.

However, there is a problem.

I'm guessing I would be somewhere in the general Surf-Strength-Bulldoze space.
    There is exactly one Pokémon who can (thanks to the aforementioned move tutor) learn String Shot and all three of these moves, or even anything close to this package. It has both the ground and the water type, a good "me" color scheme (East mostly, although West is not too bad either), some pretty good ability options and it is even not completely competitively unviable.*** It is essentially the perfect spider-manning, earth moving, rapid running explorer.

Skid my life, I think I might be a Gastrodon.****

*=If no Rampardos comes along to break it.
    **=Especially if you are some sort of deformed human-pokémon hybrid who doesn't fit in any regular sizes.
    ***=As a scald-recover staller.
    ****=I guess you could accuse me of being a bit of a slime ball sometimes, but this is ridiculous.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, the move I would possibly like to have most in any kind of real life situation is String Shot. It's pretty bad in the games, but in reality it would mean an infinite supply of rope, plus basically super knot powers. I can go abseiling, tower building, car towing, tree slinging. With a proper mold* you could even shoot up your own clothes, what a time saver!** Yeah, flying is objectively cooler, but String Shot is more me. My main problem is that pretty much all Pokémon that learn it are, well, not my idea of what I want to be when I grow up. It's not a TM, but there is a move tutor in Heartgold/Soulsilver who can teach the move to a few cooler mon, like Pinsir and Armaldo. Armaldo has the kind of stat balance I would see myself with, its type weaknesses are pretty reasonable, the ability Battle Armor is fitting enough, even the Pokéathlon stats are quite me. Having no hands wouldn't be a problem right? I can work with being one of the cooler fossil Pokémon. Assuming the move tutor ever learned about later generations something like Golisopod might even be an option.

However, there is a problem.

There is exactly one Pokémon who can (thanks to the aforementioned move tutor) learn String Shot and all three of these moves, or even anything close to this package. It has both the ground and the water type, a good "me" color scheme (East mostly, although West is not too bad either), some pretty good ability options and it is even not completely competitively unviable.*** It is essentially the perfect spider-manning, earth moving, rapid running explorer.

Skid my life, I think I might be a Gastrodon.****

*=If no Rampardos comes along to break it.
    **=Especially if you are some sort of deformed human-pokémon hybrid who doesn't fit in any regular sizes.
    ***=As a scald-recover staller.
    ****=I guess you could accuse me of being a bit of a slime ball sometimes, but this is ridiculous.
    Oh, neat, I didn't know Veekun had searches like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #141

Thought exercise.

A genie appears before you and says "Hey, I will let you use every Pokemon Move of one specific type in real life, based mostly on depictions in the videogames but with liberties taken as necessary becuase real life doesn't have stats and hitpoints."

The rules are as follows: You can use each move a number of times equal to the maximum possible amount of PP that a pokemon could have for that move. Once depleted, you either need to switch to another move or take a nap.

The move behaves as if you were a Pokemon of the same type as the move(so, in-game terms, STAB applies), with the highest possible stat in the stat that determines its function(so a special damaging move would assume you have maxed out Special Attack,) if there is an ability that would increase the power or effectiveness of the move, it is assumed that you have it(but only for the purposes of boosting the move.) If there is an item that boosts the effectiveness of the move, it is assumed that you have it(though you do not actually have it.) If there is more than one ability or item that boosts that move, you are assumed to have the best of each for the sake of that move.

This is done on an individual move basis.

If there are differences in how the move works across generations, you get what you personally consider the best version of the move. Again, this is on an individual move basis.

"Curse" here counts as a Ghost Type Move, but you can optionally have it behave as if you are a non-ghost type if that is the version you prefer.

"Every move of the type" includes Z-Moves, Max Moves, G-Max Moves, Judgement and other moves that change type by circumstances, and any move that counts as duel type for the type you've chosen, with the caveat that when you use it is only counts as your type. It also includes all moves taught by HM, TM, TR, Tutor or any other way of learning a move that isn't "level up" or "know it on hatching." In short "every move" is every move.

You intuitively and instinctively know what moves you have and how many times you can use each of them until you need to rest to replenish your uses of them. You are not restricted to four at a time, you have access to all of them always. Z-moves, Max Moves, and G-Max Moves are counted separately from their base forms for purposes of uses per day. If it can be based on more than one move, it is based on whichever move would result in the strongest version—G-Max Cannonade, for example, would be based on Hydrocanon.

Types behave the way they do under Pokemon Logic. For example, you can Thunderbolt a rock or a concrete wall or a pile of dirt all you want but it won't do anything becuase in Pokemon Logic ground and rock are immune to electricity even though in real life a bolt of lightning would blast a rock apart.

What type do you pick and why? I'm curious to know.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Psychic type.

mind over matter. I can teleport, hypnotize people into falling asleep, lift things with my mind, use rest to go to sleep on command to my bad habit of staying up too much, plus there are no ghost types in real life while the dark typing is based on an abstract conception of evil that cannot technically be said to exist. the only weakness would be bugs and I don't like those things anyways.

either that or normal type, just so I can get Metronome and troll people by essentially playing roulette with my pokemon moves to make random things happen, but also has practical applications for the wide variety of uses normal type moves have.

a third place would be Flying type so I can learn fly.

all the other types have moves with little use other than attacking things, and thus aren't really worth considering.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

What type do you pick and why? I'm curious to know.
    Normal. I get access to Wish, and Heal Bell. Even if that Wish isn't, you know, reality bending, and it can only heal hit points? Think of how many lives you could save. You could magic people covered in third degree burns back to full health in just a little bit of time. Also, Accupressure and Baton Pass, to be or help someone be superhuman. Protect, if I'm in a crisis. Happy Hour. Pay Day. Recycle to help recover bricked tech. Secret Power to make Secret Bases.

There is no reason to not ever take Normal for sheer quality of life improvements.

For example, you can Thunderbolt a rock or a concrete wall or a pile of dirt all you want but it won't do anything becuase in Pokemon Logic ground and rock are immune to electricity even though in real life a bolt of lightning would blast a rock apart.
    Rock is not immune to electricity; see also, fossil pokemon. You can use electric moves on e.g. Armaldo or Amaura just fine. It's only ground that's immune.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2021-01-30 at 07:43 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Huh... So apprently there were no pure-rock type pokemon in the entirety of Gen 1 and I never saw past the misleading "electric pokemon will be useless in the rick gym" stuff from gen one.

Gen One kind of sucked with type balance. And type representation.

"Ghost-types are strong against psychics... except there's only one family of ghost types and they're also poison so you're taking double damage from the psychic types and you can't even get the strongest form of that species unless you've got a friend whose willing to trade." To add insult to injury, it was only relatively recently that Ghastly and its evolutions could learn poison type moves naturally so its poison type served only to its detriment

...No, seriously, the haunted ball of toxic corpse-fumes that's deadly enough to kill an elephant couldn't naturally poison things.

"Fire beats ice... except there are only two primarily Ice type pokemon, one of which is also psychic and the other is a legendary. The rest are all water types so have fun with the elite 4"

Anyway, to answer my own question, It's a tie between Grass because I think plant control is cool and no matter how old I get there's always going to be that irrational part of my brain that's paranoid about vampires so solar beam would be nice or Ghost because I like the idea of being a spooky magic person.

Psychic and Fairy are tied for second for the same reason as Ghost.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

"Ghost-types are strong against psychics... except there's only one family of ghost types and they're also poison so you're taking double damage from the psychic types and you can't even get the strongest form of that species unless you've got a friend whose willing to trade." To add insult to injury, it was only relatively recently that Ghastly and its evolutions could learn poison type moves naturally so its poison type served only to its detriment

...No, seriously, the haunted ball of toxic corpse-fumes that's deadly enough to kill an elephant couldn't naturally poison things.
    To salt the wound, there were exactly three Ghost-type attacks in the first generation: Confuse Ray (does no damage), Lick (base 20 power), and Night Shade (deals exactly the user's level in HP, ignoring weakness and resistance).

And to just nuke the whole thing from orbit, Ghost-types weren't actually strong against Psychics in that generation, for whatever reason Psychic types were immune to Ghost-type damage (setting aside Night Shade).
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

A genie appears before you...
    My first thought is to go for Ground type, because I really like the Ground type and general earth powers are definitely a power fantasy I can enjoy. But that's rubbish because it barely gives you anything good. The few moves that lots of ground type gets that are actually good for something other than damaging things are often Rock type moves too, like Rock Polish. Although Dig would be kinda cool sometimes. Normal is probably the best answer, realistically speaking. Healing magic is usually the best choice from any magic system in this kind of thought exercise, and Normal does that and a lot more. One alternative that could be considered though is Water. Surf, Waterfall, Dive, Whirlpool, it would be cool is what I'm saying. And with the rules established there being so many different ones is if anything a bonus in this case. There is even some healing magic through stuff like Life Dew and Aqua Ring. If you just want to be a superhero Flying is worth considering as well. Fly and Roost, what else do you need?

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    To salt the wound, there were exactly three Ghost-type attacks in the first generation: Confuse Ray (does no damage), Lick (base 20 power), and Night Shade (deals exactly the user's level in HP, ignoring weakness and resistance).

And to just nuke the whole thing from orbit, Ghost-types weren't actually strong against Psychics in that generation, for whatever reason Psychic types were immune to Ghost-type damage (setting aside Night Shade).
    My understanding is that it was a glitch caused by faulty coding. It was fixed for gen 2 but they just didn't bother for anything released after the original ed and green for the rest of gen 1.

What really pisses me off is that the Ghastly Line is one of my favorites.

Squirtle, Ghastly, Eevee. Those are my favorites... Though Salandit is working its way up there, too.

Edit: Actually, new but similar question: You are combined with a Pokemon. It can be a detective Pikachu or Mystery Dungeon sitch, an anthro sitch, a switch between human and mon, or anything in between.

If you practice its powers, you'll eventually learn every move it can learn, evolve into its full line, lean every move its other forms can learn, and so on. You're not limited to four moves, and like before this includes egg moves, tutor moves, TM, HM, TR, and event moves. You do not need special items or circumstances to evolve--you combine with an Evvee and want to be a jolteon, you become a jolteon. You are not locked out of moves on evolving, if you don't know it yet and your current form can't learn it, you still can.

You can mega evolve and use Z-moves, but you can't Dynamax.

In games terms, you have Maxed IVs, maxed EVs, and a costume nature of "Me" that boosts everything.

Which Pokemon do you pick?

My answer is... One of the four I mentioned already.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-01-31 at 06:47 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I agree with Fable Wright, Normal type moves all the way!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

My first instinct would be to go with Psychic, because Teleport alone would be pretty awesome, and it’s got some healing moves in it too. But on reflection Normal does have a good bit more utility, and being able to shapeshift might make up for being able to skip driving to the store.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Ok, Pokemon Go question again:

What determines a "Great" or "Nice" or "Excellent" throw? They seem to happen at random for me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.