New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Frontier! The Saga of Bulls Landing

29 May 1875
    Bulls Landing, Arizona Territory

A quiet afternoon in Bulls Landing. The stage due in from the west has yet to arrive, and the townsfolk are going about their regular business. A group of cavalry troopers on leave are visiting, making use of the facilities at the Bellamere saloon, though they are yet to get particularly rowdy and are currently occupied playing cards in a corner of the bar.

A ragged man wanders up the main street, covered in dust and wearing what might once have been a military uniform. Most give him a wide berth, though he seems to be of Hispanic appearance, perhaps in late middle age, and his hair would likely be grey even without the dust. He staggers somewhat unsteadily past a number of the local businesses before reaching Bellamere, where he enters and walks up to the bar.

"Mezcal, senorita," he says to Belle with some effort: his throat is clearly dry.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Frontier! The Saga of Bulls Landing

The interior of the saloon was kept purposefully dim in an effort to tame the afternoon heat, but there were a few strategic windows flung open for just enough light to work or play cards by. The aroma of the evening's beans and the sweet smell of sawdust hung heavy in the air. The chatter of her only patrons played in the background as Belle worked, quietly spreading fresh sawdust on the saloon floor in anticipation of a busy evening. She looked up and squinted her eyes against the bright sunlight as the swinging saloon doors creaked, expecting to see Clive returning with her weekly order of beans and cornmeal from the general store. She put down her bag of sawdust behind the bar and wiped her hands as the raggedy man approached the bar.

"Si." Belle replied shortly, taking in his haggard appearance, resisting the urge to offer him water or coffee instead. She pulled a tall bottle of clear liquid from the shelf behind her and poured an inch or so into a clean, short glass.

"Be a while before the beans are ready, but I'm fixing cornbread with it if you stick around." She pushed the glass across the bar and went to work polishing her mismatched glassware, staying near to the bar in case the stranger needed anything else.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2021-11-17 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The man drained the glass in a single swig, then started coughing, a hacking, chesty cough that it didn't take much medical knowledge to know was bad. There was a laugh from the troopers as they took in his appearance, and the man turned to fix them with a glare.

"What are you looking at, yanqui?" he rasped. One of the troopers frowned and began to rise, but his fellows restrained him and he went back to his game.

"I could eat," the man said. "Got no other plans." He laughed, but with no apparent humour. "What is there in this town? You have music or dancing girls here?"

He pushed his glass back across the bar. "Another."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Belle's eyes flicked coldly between the stranger and the troopers, waiting to see if there'd be trouble. It was early for it, but trouble paid no mind to the time. She relaxed almost imperceptibly as the trooper sat back down, but flinched at the haggard man's deep cough.

"Town's a generous word for it."
    She pulled the bottle back out and poured him another mezcal.

"Clive's my piano player, he's on a run to the general store right now. The saloon don't get lively 'til the evenings, there are girls who will dance for you if you got money." She shrugged, implying they wouldn't give him the time of day unless they were paid to.

"You fixing to stay in Bull's Landing?" Her tone was mildly curious. They got newcomers passing through, but few chose to stay for any lasting amount of time. She went back to cleaning her glasses, only half interested in his reply.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2021-11-17 at 08:13 PM.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Pleasant Pine Cemetery

Chipper Pine was not only the Undertaker for Bull's Landing, he was also Owner and Operator of Pleasant Pine Cemetery and arguably Owner and Operator of the biggest smile in town. He had it - and his work clothes - on him right now. Grinning up at the gravestone above him, Chipper dusted himself off, and took the hand of his part-time employee Gavin as the bigger man pulled him out of the grave they had just finished digging for tomorrow's Client. Poor old Mister Weatherly had just been passing through Bull's Landing when he fell ill and laid bed ridden for weeks before passing on. Pleasant fella, but when it's your time, it's your time. Chipper managed to scrounge up enough scratch to give the lonely man a proper burial, though it was taking a bit of work to find out of Weatherly had any living relatives to pass along what little the older man had left.

Chipper nodded to Gavin, but kept his thoughts to himself. It was approaching evening, and they were both tired and winded. Gavin was built like a horse, but a really ugly one; not that anyone would say such a thing to the big man. Chipper found his employee to be an agreeable fellow, but only really needed Gavin's help for the labor intensive days. Digging ditches, lifting Clients into their final resting places, and filling the holes back in didn't take much skill, but it did take muscle... muscle Chipper didn't have. Chipper took more after his mother than his father; where Old Man Pine had been tall, strong, and stout - a lot like Gavin - Chipper was more lean, wiry, and a little below average height. Chipper's father had once had bright blonde hair that gleamed in the hot sun until the day it turned silver, while Chipper himself had long brown hair that was naturally wavy. Chipper's Pa had always been clean shaven, but the younger Pine was actually rather proud of his Horseshoe mustache. It had taken him years to grow it out just right, starting from the first week in... well... that place.

"Gonna need me tomorrow, right Boss?" Gavin asked, his gruff voice calling attention to his missing teeth.

Chipper was used to it though, and pleased that Gavin was around. Chipper, "Gorgeous" Gavin, and Renaldo the Spaniard were the Cemetery's only workers these days. And most of the time, Chipper let Gavin and Renaldo do all the work here while Chipper stayed near the main office, carving gravestones and making small talk. It was actually a pretty rare day in Bull's Landing to be digging a grave, though not so rare that Chipper couldn't afford to hire two part-timers for when it got busy. Like tomorrow. "Yeah, Gavin, Mister Weatherly is all boxed up, but he'll need to be lowered down after Sister Nancy's speaking o' the words."

Gavin nodded, knowing the drill by now. The two of them continued their walk to through the Graveyard, and then on in to town. Gavin waved farewell - heading home - shortly before Chipper made his way into his office, where he promptly changed from his dusty work clothes into something much more comfortable: A white dress suit with bow tie, white vest, matching pants, and back into his comfortable large black boots. More importantly - at least to Chipper - his white bowler hat finally matched the rest of his outfit. Securing his gun and shovel, Chipper looked up at the sun as he exited the office, locking the door behind him. It was time to go get a drink... Bellamere's would help Chipper cool down, even if it was a bit early for the other regulars to show up.

Walking through the street, a smile on his face, and a spring in his step, Chipper was soon at the local watering hole... though he was very careful to say 'Saloon' out loud anywhere Belle might hear it. Chipper didn't want to lose his status as 'friend of the owner'!

Bellamere's Saloon

The creak of the doors was the only signal Chipper gave as he walked inside and took a look around. Sure enough, he was early. A few cavalry men playing cards in the corner, and an out of towner talking with Belle. Where was Clive? There should be music by now at least. Chipper pulled off his hat and waved it in front of his face to get the air flowing while he walked to the bar. Smiling his big smile, the Undertaker interjected into the ongoing conversation, "Evening, Belle! Pardon me for bothering ya while yer conversing to this fine fella, but me and Gavin just got done with the new plot, and I'm mighty parched. Might I trouble ya for whatever suits your fancy for me to drink tonight?"

Chipper didn't order a specific drink, not since he came to town and found Belle was here running the Saloon. He just asked for a nice bit of liquid, got whatever she wanted to give him, and paid his tab on time. Belle got a steady customer, and Chipper got to try everything behind the counter. What more could you ask from an old friend from Tuscan?
    Last edited by Gengy; 2021-11-17 at 09:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Sister Nancy walked through Bull’s Landing like the disappointed eye of the Lord himself. Her white habit almost glinted in the glare of the sun and the sparse citizens and travelers would step out of their way, smile with the shamefaced recognition of their own private sins and tell her “Peace be with you sister”. Nancy would pause in her walk and turn to them and smile as well, with the confidence purity afforded her, reply “And with your Spirit”.

Nancy wondered why so many of these people were so quick to give way to their baser instincts here in Arizona – when she had first came here, unsure of her purpose and her mission, she had quickly come to find that her Christian Spirit flourished. On her travels through the prairies and mountains she was bombarded by impressions. Snow up high in the Saint Augustine Mountains, and then a marvelous long line of snowless, arid plateaus, clean long shapes stretching for miles under pure light. Mesas, full rivers, cottonwoods, sagebrush, high red cliffs, pines. Most impressed of all was she by the miles of emptiness. It made her connect to that point in herself, that hidden silent portion of her soul that was reserved only for the Lord Christ. The stillness was almost virginal.

Standing vigil on the main street was the Saloon, the callous den of sin that drew onto itself those that should better come to her mission or a church. Those that knew the Nun’s routine knew that at least once a week Nancy would make time to walk to the Saloon, steel herself at its entrance as if preparing for battle or to take a step into Hell, and enter.

She was no preacher, but she would often come in and walk straight to the bar and make conversation, first with Belle – a lovely woman, who she kept trying to convince to join her mission, with her Husband dead, her faith on a razor’s edge, the embrace of the sister’s would be a balm and shield both – and then with the derelicts who inhabited the Saloon. Wielding guilt like a saber she could usually take one such scruffian by surprise and march him out the door for a sermon or brandishing her compassion like a knife lead a fallen woman to confide in her and consider joining a convent.

This time, however, she walked in and saw Belle and Mr. Pine at the bar. While friendly with both, the former for the sake of her immortal soul and the latter for the immortal souls of his clients, she did not want to interrupt and instead walked to an empty side table and sat down quietly and with a straight back. The other patrons followed her with their eyes – the regulars rolling their eyes and then looking at each other wondering when she would start speaking and which one of them will fall and be dragged out by the ear to hear a lecture about idle hands. The eyes of the travelers lingered longer, wondering what a Nun was doing here and wondering, perhaps, if her skin was especially dark or if that was a trick of the light in contrast to the Nun’s white habit. The latter Nancy stared down hard with the cold black eyes of an Owl.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not going anywhere else," he said to Belle, "but that don't mean I'll be here long." He laughed again, and looked over as Chipper and then Nancy entered. His eyes kept straying to Nancy, and his shoulders seemed to hunch slightly defensively.

"You the maker of coffins round these parts, eh?" he said to Chipper. "Come in here to size me up, have you? Ahahahaha-" he broke off again into another bout of coughing. "Well, you can make a note of the name. Diego Mirano. Coronel Diego Mirano." He said it with some pride, but without apparent expectation that the name would be recognised. With some effort, he drew himself up straight into an approximation of military attention. Then he seemed to become distracted by Nancy again, his shoulders slumped, and he drained his glass.

"You have a room upstairs I can use?" he asked Belle.

Spoiler: Identification
    Show

Belle, Chipper and/or Nancy may make a Mind check at -3 to see whether they have heard of Diego or can surmise anything else about his identity.

The door to the saloon opened to reveal an impeccably-dressed woman, Mrs. Amy Benton - familiar to all locals. She held a handkerchief to her nose for a moment, as if to suggest she wouldn't usually stoop to enter such a place, but was prepared to make an exception on this occasion. Such exceptions were, as all knew, very frequent. She glanced around the bar, nodded to Chipper and walked up to stand next to him at the bar, placing a hand gently on his arm.

"Why, Mr. Pine, have you seen the way that woman is carrying on?" she said in a well-practised voice, implying confidentiality while nevertheless carrying to every corner of the bar. "As bold as brass, I ask you. What poor Mr. Larson would think if he were to see that, I do not know."

A glance out of the window would reveal the context: Louisa Moss, the schoolteacher, and widely rumoured to be courting with Mayor Larson, was standing outside the barbership opposite, apparently conducting a pleasant conversation with the proprietor.

"Oh, an iced tea, if you please, Mrs Reeve," she said to Belle, her tone and body language making it clear that she expected Chipper to pay for this, possibly in exchange for the juicy morsel of gossip she had just shared.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2021-11-18 at 10:07 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Out-of-Towner
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    "I'm not going anywhere else," he said to Belle, "but that don't mean I'll be here long." He laughed again, and looked over as Chipper and then Nancy entered. His eyes kept straying to Nancy, and his shoulders seemed to hunch slightly defensively.

"You the maker of coffins round these parts, eh?" he said to Chipper. "Come in here to size me up, have you? Ahahahaha-" he broke off again into another bout of coughing. "Well, you can make a note of the name. Diego Mirano. Coronel Diego Mirano." He said it with some pride, but without apparent expectation that the name would be recognised. With some effort, he drew himself up straight into an approximation of military attention. Then he seemed to become distracted by Nancy again, his shoulders slumped, and he drained his glass.

Show

Belle, Chipper and/or Nancy may make a Mind check at -3 to see whether they have heard of Diego or can surmise anything else about his identity.

Show
    I rolled a 9 to identify the 'Coronel'.

Chipper made note of Sister Nancy coming in the Saloon, and tipped his hat to her while listening to the stranger introduce himself.

Patting his vest pocket for a second, Chipper pulls out his notepad and pencil and begins to write something down. "To be honest, Colonel, I didn't rightly know you'd be in here. Though I have heard of you. But as you've given permission, I'll see to it that should the worst happen, I can at least get yer name right."

"And,"
    Chipper adds as he puts his writing implements away, before reaching out an open palm for a handshake, "It would be downright rude of me to not introduce myself. Chipper Pine. As you suspect, I'm the local Undertaker."

Spoiler: Friendly Gossip
    Show
    The door to the saloon opened to reveal an impeccably-dressed woman, Mrs. Amy Benton - familiar to all locals. She held a handkerchief to her nose for a moment, as if to suggest she wouldn't usually stoop to enter such a place, but was prepared to make an exception on this occasion. Such exceptions were, as all knew, very frequent. She glanced around the bar, nodded to Chipper and walked up to stand next to him at the bar, placing a hand gently on his arm.

"Why, Mr. Pine, have you seen the way that woman is carrying on?" she said in a well-practised voice, implying confidentiality while nevertheless carrying to every corner of the bar. "As bold as brass, I ask you. What poor Mr. Larson would think if he were to see that, I do not know."

A glance out of the window would reveal the context: Louisa Moss, the schoolteacher, and widely rumoured to be courting with Mayor Larson, was standing outside the barbership opposite, apparently conducting a pleasant conversation with the proprietor.

"Oh, an iced tea, if you please, Mrs Reeve," she said to Belle, her tone and body language making it clear that she expected Chipper to pay for this, possibly in exchange for the juicy morsel of gossip she had just shared.

When Amy Benton was looking away, Chipper looked at Belle and nodded to confirm her order before rolling his eyes. "Well Mrs. Benton, I imagine Miss Moss - being a schoolmarm - is smart enough what to know exactly what's she's about. And Mayor Larson, being the Mayor, also knows that if he wants to keep being the Mayor, what he is about is under scrutiny."

Chipper made sure that his smile was on his face, and his tone was neutral; neither agreeing or disagreeing with the woman's gossip. Chipper's opinion didn't seem to be wanted or required at this point. He was just the unfortunate soul that Mrs. Benton had decided to be the outlet for her own opinions. Best to suffer through it agreeably.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2021-11-18 at 10:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, Mr. Pine,", said Mrs. Benton, "you are a kind soul. But it's precisely because Miss Moss is our schoolteacher that she ought to be careful about her conduct. Someone in that position should be respectable, and sometimes I wonder, well, whether she's no better than she should be. And you know as well as I do that poor Mr. Larson has no more guile in him than Sister Nancy, bless his heart. I would hate for him to be hurt."

She raised her voice as if to imply that what she said now was on the record. "Now I don't know all that goes on beneath this roof and I'm sure not all of it would be to my liking, and that's for the Lord to judge, but I have always said that Mrs. Reeve here conducts herself in a manner befitting her position, and I don't think it's too much to ask that others do likewise."
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2021-11-18 at 11:14 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Prior
    Show

Nancy looked up from her water to see the stranger looking at her - a man seeking solace in the Lord Christ? In her mind the mists of recollection began to repaint a canvas of recognition, when the stranger looked away, and the mists disperse.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Rooms are thirty five cents a night, including supper." She hadn't heard of the Coronel, but that didn't mean much. Most people passing through didn't want to be known, and Belle made it her business to respect her patrons' privacy. Her face twitched as Mrs. Benton extolled upon Belle's virtue. Gold digger, swindler, jezebel, Belle had heard the townsfolks talking about her when she first arrived and set about courting with Amos, rumors that were led by women just like Mrs. Benton. Back when she was still in her teens when love had come easy enough for the first man who'd shown her any kindness at all, before she'd locked away her heart and threw away the key.

"Ice is extra."
    She warned Chip and opened the creaking cellar door. She returned with two tiny shards of ice in a tall clean glass and poured some tea from a pitcher and slid it over to the woman. For Chip, she pulled out a glass from beneath the bar already filled with a golden yellow liquid.

"My latest Whiskey Punch experiment." Belle explained with a small smirk before she set about polishing the bar.
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy

Spoiler
    Show
    Patting his vest pocket for a second, Chipper pulls out his notepad and pencil and begins to write something down. "To be honest, Colonel, I didn't rightly know you'd be in here. Though I have heard of you. But as you've given permission, I'll see to it that should the worst happen, I can at least get yer name right."

"And," Chipper adds as he puts his writing implements away, before reaching out an open palm for a handshake, "It would be downright rude of me to not introduce myself. Chipper Pine. As you suspect, I'm the local Undertaker."
    "You have heard of me?" He seemed surprised. "Well, do not believe all you hear. Pleased to meet you." He shook Chipper's outstretched hand, but made no move to continue the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Rooms are thirty five cents a night, including supper." She hadn't heard of the Coronel, but that didn't mean much. Most people passing through didn't want to be known, and Belle made it her business to respect her patrons' privacy.
    "A fair price," He put a rumpled dollar bill on the bar. "Which room do I take?"

"Thank you, Mr. Pine, Mrs. Reeve," said Amy Benton, taking the glass from Belle, and then made her way over to Nancy's table. "Sister Nancy, what a pleasure to see you. May I join you?" She took a seat at the table without waiting for a response. "Now what brings you here at this time of day?"
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2021-11-18 at 09:21 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Robert Kennedy was trudged to the saloon with a slight limp, after three months he'd finally claimed the bounty on that damned Jaque Detiege. The Frenchmen was a pain in the ass to catch and while Robert was able to ambush the varmit, he put up a damn good fight. Too good for a man supposedly a deserter from the French army in the deserts of Arizona. He had support somewhere around these parts, and Robert had no doubt it was those grey pigs, dressed in proper suits.

For now, though he had an ankle that needed attending to, and he wasn't ready to see Aj, might as well get some whiskey and hope it feels better by morning. Walking through the threshold he winched, he definitely needed some rest and maybe whiskey more.

Upon seeing Chipper and sister Nacy he lowered his hat.

"Chipper, Miss Nancy, fancy seeing yall here."

He extended a customary nod to the stranger, before hailing Belle.

"If it ain't too much trouble madam, can I have some whiskey, today is...an ice day."
    Last edited by Lleban; 2021-11-18 at 09:25 PM.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The doors of the saloon swung open as AJ walked in dressed as usual in his black suit and hat, the only colour being the dark purple lining of his jacket and his necktie. He looked around a bit, surprised at the lack of music as he approached the bar. He gave a polite nod to Sister Nancy and Mrs. Benton, the former someone who strove to do good in the world and the latter someone he did his best to avoid speaking to, though he suspected he would have to anyway. He was sure the young Sister could handle herself, but he did not envy her in the slightest.

"A scotch and soda when you're free Mrs. Reeve," he said politely as he took a seat at the bar and set his hat down, "Is Clive feeling alright? I was looking forward to some music after the day I've had."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The sounds of a match being struck cut through the dull hum of the saloon, sparks flying from the bannister as the Easterner lit a waiting pipe. Slender and with an easy smile, he exuded the guilelessness of a true innocent, a practiced affectation that had served him well so far in Bulls Landing. He'd left both bowler cap and jacket in his room above, descending in a freshly laundered white shirt, grey trousers, and a tempestuously patterned vest. His short hair carefully tamed with pomade, it was hard to imagine him looking more out of place in the frontier, but the worn black holster on his hip told a different story. Favoring the saloon with an easy smile, he unleashed a ribbon of smoke before giving Miss Reeve a friendly nod. Dismounting the stairs, he ignored the bar, instead making a bee line for the table where Sister Nancy was imperiously holding court.

"I do declare, Sister, you're about the last thing I expected to see in the saloon today. Would you mind some company, or are you waiting for someone?"

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Upon seeing Chipper and sister Nancy he lowered his hat.
    "Chipper, Miss Nancy, fancy seeing yall here."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    He gave a polite nod to Sister Nancy and Mrs. Benton, the former someone who strove to do good in the world and the latter someone he did his best to avoid speaking to, though he suspected he would have to anyway.
    The sister always smiled and nodded back at those that greet her and depending on if there was still room at the table would wave her hand in front of an open chair indicating that they were always welcome to join her. As Hebrews said one should not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Thank you, Mr. Pine, Mrs. Reeve," said Amy Benton, taking the glass from Belle, and then made her way over to Nancy's table. "Sister Nancy, what a pleasure to see you. May I join you?" She took a seat at the table without waiting for a response. "Now what brings you here at this time of day?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    "I do declare, Sister, you're about the last thing I expected to see in the saloon today. Would you mind some company, or are you waiting for someone?"
    And while some might be unaware of their angels, there were others that were decidedly more fallen.

"Good morning Mrs. Benton and Mr. Clark. I am happy that you have come to talk to me instead of partaking in drink. I often come here like Daniel among the Lions, hoping that my presence is like a lighthouse to those in spiritual distress and that they, like you, surely will come to pray on Sundays with me."
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2021-11-19 at 09:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

With far too loud a sound for the lazy afternoon, the doors to the Bellamere flew open to admit a tall, broad man in his usual getup, a long blue jacket with golden buttons over cavalry trousers. Of all things, a saber hung from his belt. He stepped out of the sunlight and into the saloon, hands on his hips. Despite the attention-grabbing entry and pose-like stance, though, the man seemed completely unaware of the eyes of those who looked his way. Instead, he stood for a moment, taking stock of the newcomers to the town with a serious expression on his broad face.

Then, as if his mind were made up, he nodded and walked to the bar, tipping his hat toward Sister Nancy and offering a quick, "Afternoon, Sister," in his loud, deep voice as he passed. At the bar, he gave a long glance at the stranger before turning slowly to the proprietor, a smile already forming and a bit of fun at the ready.

"Mrs. Reeve, a pleasure as always. 'Captain' Hurling, reporting for duty! Any trouble at the watering hole today?" A self-deprecating smile accompanied the rank, though the constant - and loud - reminders likely take some of the lightness from the joke. Willie turned to lean back against the bar with a light sigh to hear Mrs. Reeve's response, a small, friendly smile still on his face as he runs his gaze across the room a second time.
    Last edited by JBarca; 2021-11-19 at 08:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Belle nodded at AJ as she pushed the cold glass over to Kennedy, which was already dripping condensation down its sides.

"Clive should be back anytime...." She poured AJ's drink and looked up as the doors creaked again, only to see Willie walk in and up to the bar.

"It was close once, but nothing came of it. It's early yet." She answered and nodded at Eugene as he passed by.

She looked up at yet another arrival, this time it was her burly piano man who was rolling a large barrel in front of him.

"There he is." She held open the door to the small kitchen for him.

"People been asking about you. I think you're more popular than the girls." She remarked and he grinned.

"I'd best get to playing then, my public awaits." He straightened his hat and puffed up his chest and walked out of the kitchen and took his seat at the piano and began to play a jaunty tune.
    #Notallinfluencers

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Willie
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    With far too loud a sound for the lazy afternoon, the doors to the Bellamere flew open to admit a tall, broad man in his usual getup, a long blue jacket with golden buttons over cavalry trousers. Of all things, a saber hung from his belt. He stepped out of the sunlight and into the saloon, hands on his hips. Despite the attention-grabbing entry and pose-like stance, though, the man seemed completely unaware of the eyes of those who looked his way. Instead, he stood for a moment, taking stock of the newcomers to the town with a serious expression on his broad face.

Then, as if his mind were made up, he nodded and walked to the bar, tipping his hat toward Sister Nancy and offering a quick, "Afternoon, Sister," in his loud, deep voice as he passed. At the bar, he gave a long glance at the stranger before turning slowly to the proprietor, a smile already forming and a bit of fun at the ready.

"Mrs. Reeve, a pleasure as always. 'Captain' Hurling, reporting for duty! Any trouble at the watering hole today?" A self-deprecating smile accompanied the rank, though the constant - and loud - reminders likely take some of the lightness from the joke. Willie turned to lean back against the bar with a light sigh to hear Mrs. Reeve's response, a small, friendly smile still on his face as he runs his gaze across the room a second time.

Robert peered carefully at the lawman if was their first meeting in what seemed like ages, or at least half an hour since he turned in the bounty. He fought back a smile, not wanting to show that side of himself in the midst of a crowd. Speaking with a degree of myrth and probably with a sharper edge than Willies blade he decided to taunt the man over his attire.

"Willie you dealt with all Bull's landing crime already or were you planning to disembowel some gentlemen in a duel with that there wood cutter."
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Mrs. Benton beamed at her companions. "Sister Nancy, you are as always a beacon of virtue. I only wish that all in our community were able to recognise that and follow your example. And Mr. Clark, you are of course a newcomer in these parts, so I d hope you won't be letting a few bad apples sour your impression of our town."

A few minutes after Mirano had made his way upstairs, Josephine, one of the working girls, came down the stairs in something of a fluster and approached Belle at the bar.

"Belle, you'd better come upstairs. It's that Mexican gentleman..."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: The Crowd Gathers
    Show
    "Rooms are thirty five cents a night, including supper." She hadn't heard of the Coronel, but that didn't mean much. Most people passing through didn't want to be known, and Belle made it her business to respect her patrons' privacy. Her face twitched as Mrs. Benton extolled upon Belle's virtue. Gold digger, swindler, jezebel, Belle had heard the townsfolks talking about her when she first arrived and set about courting with Amos, rumors that were led by women just like Mrs. Benton. Back when she was still in her teens when love had come easy enough for the first man who'd shown her any kindness at all, before she'd locked away her heart and threw away the key.

"Ice is extra."
    She warned Chip and opened the creaking cellar door. She returned with two tiny shards of ice in a tall clean glass and poured some tea from a pitcher and slid it over to the woman. For Chip, she pulled out a glass from beneath the bar already filled with a golden yellow liquid.

"My latest Whiskey Punch experiment." Belle explained with a small smirk before she set about polishing the bar.
    "You have heard of me?" He seemed surprised. "Well, do not believe all you hear. Pleased to meet you." He shook Chipper's outstretched hand, but made no move to continue the conversation.

Chipper half-heartedly nods his acceptance to Belle's extra price for ice - only fair - as he's too busy waiting for his drink. Chipper can tell the Colonel isn't interested in talking, and nothing good comes from making a man like that speak up when he doesn't want to, so the Undertaker gives the old warrior friendly smile number five (an excellent choice that mixes emotions of 'good to see you' with 'talk to you some other time') and proceeds to turn around just in time to get Belle's Whiskey Punch.

Friendly smile number five is replaced by Genuine Smile number one (no faking this one, it's all original, all real) as Chipper takes a sip of the fine Whiskey. It goes down smooth, but has a hint of fruity flavor. "Absolutely delicious, Belle. A keeper for sure!"

Chipper is pleased to see that Mrs. Benton has wandered off to go pay homage to Sister Nancy, and as that was where the Undertaker was going to go sit, Chipper decides different and just continues to stand at the bar. A few more people wander in, either from upstairs or outside, and at last even Clive shows up. The music starts and Chipper closes his eyes and relaxes to the sound of music. Letting the sound of the tune and the growing hub-bub of people coming in and out wash over him, Chipper continues to sip his Whiskey Punch, eyes closed. He only opens them again when he hears the Marshall, William Hurling say, "Mrs. Reeve, a pleasure as always. 'Captain' Hurling, reporting for duty! Any trouble at the watering hole today?"

"Marshall Hurling!" Chipper grins another pleased smile, happy to see someone who - probably - isn't here to spread gossip. "Belle can probably tell you more, but can't say as I've heard nor seen any issues worth reporting yet. How's the town been today? Quiet I hope?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Mrs. Benton beamed at her companions. "Sister Nancy, you are as always a beacon of virtue. I only wish that all in our community were able to recognise that and follow your example. And Mr. Clark, you are of course a newcomer in these parts, so I d hope you won't be letting a few bad apples sour your impression of our town."
    Sister Nancy modestly smiled at Mrs. Benton's praise. She was going to ask the woman what was she doing at the saloon herself, doubtless that it was as noble persuasion as her own missionary efforts, but instead sat back while Benton turned to speak to Mr. Clark. One of the first things a Nun learns . . . no even before that, one of the first things an Indian child learns at the Reformatory, was that it was often better to listen than to speak. Whereas when she was the latter, silence was a shield, later in life, Nancy's Mother Superior had shown her how to fashion silence into a spear. As Proverbs said "A Wise Son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Belle's eyebrows knit together in consternation as Josephine gained her attention.

"The Coronel?" She put her polishing rag back beneath the bar.

"Willie, you better come with me, sounds like it's trouble upstairs." She debated grabbing her shotgun briefly, but thought better of it.

"Chip, watch the bar for me, would ya?" She bid the Undertaker before dashing up the stairs to see what was the matter.
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Trouble...
    Show
    Belle's eyebrows knit together in consternation as Josephine gained her attention.

"The Coronel?" She put her polishing rag back beneath the bar.

"Willie, you better come with me, sounds like it's trouble upstairs." She debated grabbing her shotgun briefly, but thought better of it.

"Chip, watch the bar for me, would ya?" She bid the Undertaker before dashing up the stairs to see what was the matter.

Chipper nods, and downing the rest of his Whiskey Punch, steps behind the bar. He pulls out his notepad and pencil again, intending to write down who orders what, so Belle can get the money later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Josephine showed Belle to one of the rooms, where Mirano had removed his jacket and hat and was hunched over on the bed.

"He asked me to keep him company, but before anything even happened-"

He was coughing terribly, and both his shirt-front and the bed were spattered with blood. As Belle entered, he looked up and smiled without humour, then doubled over again, coughing up more blood.

"Ah, señora, it seems I may not be staying as long as I hoped," he said between bouts of coughs. "But the cleaning may come to more than thirty-five cents. I guess you make the bill out to Bella Esperanza - ahahahaha-" he cackled wildly and unwisely, his laugh vanishing under his cough once more, before he collapsed back onto the bed, struggling to breathe.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Settle down now, Coronel." Belle admonished him, grimacing at the mess he had made of the bedding.

"It ain't the first blood I washed out, just lay still until we get AJ up here." She turned to Josephine.

"Josie, will you go get the doc? I think he was still sittin' at the bar."
    #Notallinfluencers

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

AJ was still sitting at the bar, enjoying his drink as he listened to Clive's expert piano playing until Josie came up behind him.

"Doc! Belle needs you upstairs, it's an emergency," she said in a low voice as to not disturb anyone else. Unfortunately it had the effect of almost making AJ choke to death on his whiskey, but he recovered quickly and followed her up the stairs.

"What seems to be the- " he started to speak as he entered the room, but stopped upon sight of the man coughing up blood. He pulled a set of keys out of his pocket and handed them to Josie, "Miss Josephine, go across the street to my surgery and grab my medical bag. It's in my office on my desk in plain site. You can't miss it, it's got one of those snake rods on it."

With the supplies sent for he pulled his jacket and hat off and got to work taking the man's vitals.

"Alright Sir, I need you to tell me if you're suffering from any ailments or injuries. See if we can't save some time on a diagnosis."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Mirano answered with some difficulty. "Well, I had a cough for a while now, a couple years maybe. Some of my men said it was the consumption, I don't know. But also... I was shot. Two days ago." He clawed at his shirt and pulled it open to show a wound above his ribcage, the area around it red and inflamed.

"Maybe you can help, but-" he smiled weakly - "I think I need a priest."

Josephine returned with AJ's bag and appeared in the doorway. "Here you are, doctor. Do you need anything else?"
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Pre Trouble

Spoiler: Belle
    Show
    Belle nodded at AJ as she pushed the cold glass over to Kennedy, which was already dripping condensation down its sides.

"Clive should be back anytime...." She poured AJ's drink and looked up as the doors creaked again, only to see Willie walk in and up to the bar.

"It was close once, but nothing came of it. It's early yet." She answered and nodded at Eugene as he passed by.

At Mrs. Reeve's report, Willie nods. "Glad to hear it. I'll be around all day, of course, unless Charlie needs me."

Spoiler: Robert
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Robert peered carefully at the lawman if was their first meeting in what seemed like ages, or at least half an hour since he turned in the bounty. He fought back a smile, not wanting to show that side of himself in the midst of a crowd. Speaking with a degree of myrth and probably with a sharper edge than Willies blade he decided to taunt the man over his attire.

"Willie you dealt with all Bull's landing crime already or were you planning to disembowel some gentlemen in a duel with that there wood cutter."

Willie fought down a smile at Robert's comment, placing a hand on the hilt of the "wood chopper."

"Kennedy, you know full well this thing's good for more'n chopping wood. Or at least you would if you weren't too busy laughing that rotten tail of yours off every time I reach for it!"

Spoiler: Chipper
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    "Marshall Hurling!" Chipper grins another pleased smile, happy to see someone who - probably - isn't here to spread gossip. "Belle can probably tell you more, but can't say as I've heard nor seen any issues worth reporting yet. How's the town been today? Quiet I hope?"

Willie returned to the man's smile and offered a brief clap on the shoulder. "Mr. Pine, a pleasure, as usual! Always reassuring to know I've got a reliable set of eyes like yours keeping watch for me. Quiet so far, Lord b'praised. Charlie had hardly a word for me this morning, though I'm sure he's as busy as ever." Willie's last comment was made with a knowing wink.

Trouble
    As he opened his mouth for some other commentary, though, Willie was interrupted by Belle's concern. He tossed an apologetic half smile toward Chipper and hustled up the stairs. When he saw that the trouble was outside his realm of expertise, though, he quickly shuffled to the side of the hall where he could keep an eye on things without being in the way. Experience had shown that dying men sometimes grew violent - sometimes accidentally, sometimes in a blind panic - and he wanted to be on hand just in case. His heavy brow jumped up when the man mentioned being shot, though, and he leaned in the door a bit.

"Shot? Doc, am I gonna bother you if I talk to him while you're working?" Willie's tone was polite, but his face showed keen, almost impatient, interest.
    Last edited by JBarca; 2021-11-23 at 09:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirano answered with some difficulty. "Well, I had a cough for a while now, a couple years maybe. Some of my men said it was the consumption, I don't know. But also... I was shot. Two days ago." He clawed at his shirt and pulled it open to show a wound above his ribcage, the area around it red and inflamed.

"Maybe you can help, but-" he smiled weakly - "I think I need a priest."

Josephine returned with AJ's bag and appeared in the doorway. "Here you are, doctor. Do you need anything else?"
    Trouble
    As he opened his mouth for some other commentary, though, Willie was interrupted by Belle's concern. He tossed an apologetic half smile toward Chipper and hustled up the stairs. When he saw that the trouble was outside his realm of expertise, though, he quickly shuffled to the side of the hall where he could keep an eye on things without being in the way. Experience had shown that dying men sometimes grew violent - sometimes accidentally, sometimes in a blind panic - and he wanted to be on hand just in case. His heavy brow jumped up when the man mentioned being shot, though, and he leaned in the door a bit.

"Shot? Doc, am I gonna bother you if I talk to him while you're working?" Willie's tone was polite, but his face showed keen, almost impatient, interest.
    AJ swore under his breath and rolled up his sleeves before taking the bag from Josephine. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a dollar's worth of coins

"Josephine, go back downstairs and get someone to ride out to San Nicola and bring back Father Pedro. Tell them to ride like the wind and if human decency won't sway them give them some coin," he said as he turned back to the dying man, "Oh, and bring Sister Nancy up here in case the priest can't make it."

He got to work on Mirano's injury, working with all due haste and caution he sterilised his instruments with pure alcohol. He put a strip of rawhide between the man's teeth to give him something to bite down.

"Patience Marshal, I'll let you know when it's safe."
    Last edited by Elemental; 2021-11-24 at 02:11 AM.

Dragons!