New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

Majid looks at the half-orc. Your lands? You are the lord of this area? IN any case, we thank you for your help. Yes, we are seeking to find a lost noblewoman, abducted by these fey. Have you seen her?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The half-orc laughs (just a little) "No I have a fishing cabin behind that seven-foot snowdrift over there. Come and warm up at my fire and I will see about healing your wounds."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think we actually may be quite alright, you're okay again Majid right? Though if we could warm up a little bit that would be great. But I think we should go further as soon as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

4. - Top - End - #274

DwarfClericGuy

He leads you back to a small cabin and stokes the fire. He will, depending on the player, either

A) Go with you to help you find the Lady or
    B) Send his friend with you (some new PC)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano follows him back to the small cabin. As he heats the fire, she stares at him intently. "So, these fiends have left you alone in your palace here? Were you in league with them, hmm? Or just staying hidden, waiting for someone to rescue you?" She throws some snow in a pot and begins heating up some tea for herself, and, reluctantly, for anyone else that asks.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine is happy to warm herself up a bit and quickly checks her weapons to see if the cold has damaged them. Hatano's words though get her thinking. Or they don't even know the place that well? I mean by all we know these damn flattering cankers have appeared recently right? If they are not directly responsible it would explain that they are not that accostumed to they're surroundings. Making traps is one thing but getting every hermit in that cold may be harder... Oh could you make me one as well?

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #277

DwarfClericGuy

It's only been snowing for a couple of days. I stayed indoors and read a couple books, but then today I spotted the little lights and followed it to you.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Maybe", says Hatano. "He can stay close, one way or the other,". She pours the tea into some battered mugs and hands one to Raydine. "Mostly needles and some fennel from back in town. The good stuff is buried under the snow."

9. - Top - End - #279

DwarfClericGuy

I have a couple friends that might be interested in taking up your quest. They came here to fish, but there's nothing but ice and snow.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine takes the cup and smiles warmly. What is the good stuff?

To the owner of the hut. Someone who can help us would be appreciated. It's really hard getting through here. Say could we perhaps come back here should we need to retreat?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid nods.More allies would certainly be useful. These fey are wily, and quite dangerous.

12. - Top - End - #282

DwarfClericGuy

"Here they come now, it sounds" as loud footsteps are heard outside. "Don't let the mastodon scare you."

"Eloquent Bard, why don't you do the introductions and tell the tale of your adventure thus far."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A Mastodon?! Raydine is giddy with excitement and practically storms out of the house.

A small blue-skinned women with algae-green hair waves excitedly at the newcomer.

Hi! Come in, come in let me introduce you to the others.

After practically pulling the newcomer into the hut she introduces the mettly band.

She points to the tall and muscular warrior. This is Majid a warrior of Sarenrae, he single-handedly decapicated a dragon on the way towards here.

Then towards the half-orc women. This is Hatano, she strikes fear in the hearts of man, beast and fey with her words.

To the small construct. This is Arcatek, he's the voice of reason knows his way with magic.

She then points towards herself. And I'm Raydine. Where Hatano strikes fear I try to encourage us with words. And I know a magic trick or two.

Raydine then proceeds to tell of the journey thus far. We all arrived in Heldren and heard that a noblewomen was captured! Not only that but it had been unnaturally cold for this time of the year. When we came to her carriage we saw the destruction that someone had wrecked and saw this unnatural winter border you must have crossed, right? It seems that fey creatures or something are responsible but we don't know for certain. Anyway they had turned some people into undead we could defeat. But on the way further we fell into a swinging tree trap and had to retreat. But that didn't keep us down for long and we encountered a deadly dragon! But thankfully Majid got rid of it like a true hero. We decided to take a rest but it got interrupted by three tiny flying fairies that shot at us with tiny arrows. We could get two down but the last one sadly got away. Well now we are here but still hadn't found the noblewomen we are searching for. You think you can help us?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not sure if Felix is still with us. I guess not? Sorry for the disjointed retelling but... A Mastodon?!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

A half-elf enters the hut with various bits of wood, leaving a 6' mastadon outside. He is dressed in winter clothes and various furs over a set of leather armor.

My, how eloquent you are. It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Erril and you can call my friend outside, Stampy. We came to visit my friend here to fish, but have found the land to be shifted out of balance with the natural order of the seasons. I can not let this continue without restoring things to the way they should be. I would be glad to aid you in your quest. I am well versed in navigating the land and hope to be a great asset to our endeavor.

Erril's eyes begin to squint as though he is struggling to understand who would do such a thing.

Show
    Sorry, I'm new to the forum so getting used to posting mechanics. Yes, a Mastadon! Just a baby (Medium), selected from the options in the player's guide. He grows bigger at Level 7.
    Last edited by Mr_CoffeeCup; 2021-02-27 at 03:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano sees the half-elf come into the hut. She hands him a battered mug of the tea and says, "Yer friend want some tea too? You catch anything? Could fry up some fish afore we go out into the cold again." The cat meows loudly from it's place on Hatano's pack. "Yes, yes, I'll save you a piece," she says to it.
    Last edited by dojango; 2021-02-26 at 11:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

DruidGuy

Erril takes the mug and drinks the tea slowly, savoring each drop.

Thank you for the drink. It warms my soul on this cold day. Though, there isn't enough tea in this hut to quench Stampy's thirst. I usually bring him many gallons of water each day and he forages what he needs to eat from the land.

We came here to fish in plentiful warm waters, but have found nothing but ice. We were ill-prepared to find our meal in this unseasonable weather. If I find food from the land along our journey I'll be sure to consider the cat's needs as well.
    Last edited by Mr_CoffeeCup; 2021-02-27 at 01:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Completely covered from head to toes in the snow, Stephen walks forward curious about the situation coming from the back of the mastodon. "I´ll take that the cost is clear then. I cant keep waiting outside on this infernal cold. " Stephen replies trying to let his presence be known by the rest while he tries to shake of some of the snow off himself. Stephen is wearing bulky winter clothes on top of his armor that covers even his face. The cold breath coming out of the helmet being the only sign that the one donning the armor is alive.

He decides to also present himself to the rest. He raises his hand awkwardly to say hello. "I should probably introduce myself too. My name is Stephen Foxtrail". He checks the group of adventurers and then wonders about their condition. "I am a bit surprised that you have managed to survive outside these frozen lands. We have waited for such a long time and yet it seems like it just wont end. Also, are you alright? If not we can offer you some aid. I wouldnt mind giving assistance in these times of need".
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine speaks towards Erril. Oh it's no Problem if you don't have something now. I still have some foodstuffs left. I hope there is also something for your cat Hatano. By the way what's her name? I think you never told us? Raydine gets some of her rations and hands them out, if some of them are frozen they are thawed at the fire in the cottage and she takes care that some fleshy bits are landing in the maw or the paws of the cat. When Stephen comes in too he get's another delighted greeting and also a ration. Hi Stephen! Here take this you must be hungry. Though it was very hard coming even towards here. Me and Majid are somehow protected from the cold but Hatano has suffered a bit.

Raydine hesitates a moment before continuing. If you would be willing to assist us it would surely be a great boon. We are trying to get through the mysteries of this unnatural winter ourselves and currently are trying to follow some more than mischievious fairies. When we can get to the center of it all, perhaps we also can stop this unnatural weather.

Spoiler: OOC for all
    Show
    Raydine is giving rations out for everyone, also the owner of the hut (I reduced my rations from 10 to 4), Arcatek of course also gets one, but I'm sure he would refuse. I'd say we warm up (get Hatano back to full again) and then continue?

19. - Top - End - #289

DwarfClericGuy

Arcatek looks at you quizzically. "Sustenance is not required."

Your host heals the rest of your wounds, feeds you if you want to save your rations, and then politely shows you the door. "You'll need to hurry or lose the trail in this falling snow. I am glad I could help. There are more buildings along the road ahead, some with fireplaces."

You find the sled and the discarded sword. Erril and Stephen might be curious about those. From the hoofprints, it looks like Felix and Buttercup left the road and chased the fey into the woods. His "we'll meet again someday" the last words you heard from him.

Please set a marching order and give me a Fort save after an hour has passed. (Remember it's at +5 if you are dressed appropriately, -5 if you're naked.)

20. - Top - End - #290

DruidGuy

Erril looks at the objects on the ground, shrugs, and moves forth. Do you have any objects from the noblewomen? Stampy has a wonderful sense of smell and may be able to help by tracking them that way.

Spoiler
    Show

Fortitude
    (1d20+9)[20]

Show

If you'd like, Stampy could lead the way. He may be able to leave an easier path for everyone to follow behind him.

For GM: Would Stampy need to roll considering he is naturally from a cold terrain? If so, would he get the circumstance bonus for his fur? I intend to cast Endure Elements, but trying to decide if it would be on Stampy or Hatano.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano looks at the second newcomer, and says, "Welcome along, Stampy,". She gathers up her pack and follows the path set blazed by the men in front. And slowly begins to shiver as the insidious cold creeps in...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Stephen decides to take the sword for himself before leaving with the group. He decides to follow just behind the one that want to go in the front. "Does anyone need to be warded against this terrible weather? I have just the spell." He decides to offer remembering what he was told about their adventure.

Show

Casting Endure elements if anyone asks for it.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine takes the rear and has her crossbow ready and her voice smooth as silk.

I'm good, thanks. Oh Hatano, here I kept some of these.

Raydine smushes a claylike thing and it generates some warmth, giving it to Hatano.

Tell me if it goes cold again, I still have some left.

Spoiler: Towards Hatano
    Show
    That gives you another +4 against Cold weather, but only lasts for 1 hour.

Show
    Fort save: (1d20+6)[18]
    Perception if needed: (1d20+1)[2]
    Still 3 blocks of Blackfire clay left.

24. - Top - End - #294

DwarfClericGuy

Stampy and Stephen both need to roll the Fort save, but they are "dressed" appropriately so they get the +5.

Hatano seems to need the Endure Elements.

25. - Top - End - #295

DruidGuy

Erril waves a hand in the shape of a snowflake, touching Hatano. He calls for the power of Endure Elements to protect her from the vile chill in the air.

Spoiler
    Show

Stampy Fortitude Save
    (1d20+9)[23]

26. - Top - End - #296

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Stephen decides to take the sword for himself before leaving with the group. He decides to follow just behind the one that want to go in the front. "Does anyone need to be warded against this terrible weather? I have just the spell." He decides to offer remembering what he was told about their adventure.
    Erril turns to Stephen. I have just warded Hatano from the weather. Perhaps if one of us succumbs to the cold you may protect us from further harm?

27. - Top - End - #297

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_CoffeeCup View Post
    Erril turns to Stephen. I have just warded Hatano from the weather.
    Hatano instantly feels significantly better. As if the cold no longer exists. She could make a snow angel and have the ice and snow run down her back and it would barely feel like warm rain. Does she dance? Because she feels a little bit like dancing...

The snowy road snakes ahead into the forest, silently freezing, with snow slowly covering the tracks of the kidnappers/murderers. An hour passes with no one taking actual damage but most feeling a shiver. Sixty feet ahead you spot a snowman wearing a wooden sign. The letters would have been easy to read two days ago...

Everyone stops to discuss. Arcatek tries to focus on the letters, but cannot make them out. "Do monsters and murderers make snowmen?" he ponders.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A snowman... It seems Raydine is a bit flabberghasted with the snowman before them, she takes a look around and ponders a moment.

I really don't know Arcatek, well they can't monster and murder around all day but remember we encountered a chest before and that was trapped perhaps they are changing up they're tactics? I'm gonna try to give it a shot, perhaps I trigger something without us getting hit by a giant log.

Raydine goes a bit away from the group and takes aim at the snowman. After a short moment of hesitation she loosens a bolt at it.

Show
    Half expecting a fairy exploding out of it. I think a stationary target has an AC of 5 and Raydine try's to take a shot at the snowman.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-03-03 at 09:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Stephen decides to cast his spell for magical identification just to be sure about the possibility of a threat. "Whatever the case might be. We should probably approach it. We might get information of where we are or where we are headed to."

Show

Casting detect Magic:
    If magic is detected: K. Arcana: (1d20+5)[25]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+5)[22]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano feels the magic warmth creep into her. She scowls at the snow around them, and mutters, "When this is over, I'ma go as far south as south goes." The others point out the strange snowman ahead and she watches approvingly as Raydine cautiously tries to knock it over from afar. "Once heard a tale about killer mutant monster snowgoons haunting a forest," she adds. She picks the cat up from her hood and points it at the snowman and asks it, "See anything weird?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect magic as well, (1d20+3)[10] knowledge arcana if needed