New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

Raydine's attack strikes true and the snowman...does nothing. (Ruling: It's a piercing attack, so I don't feel like it would knock over a normal snowman...or a magical snowman...or the fey god of snow, which this is not.)

Those casting Detect Magic must be at sixty feet or less, but that doesn't trigger anything. You both detect the presence of magic in the area of the snowman. Does anyone do anything before or during round two when you get the "Number of different magical auras and the power of the most potent aura?"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well the bolt had accomplished… Something at least. Raydine had hit and she reloaded almost automatically. At least she got a bolt-sized hole in it.

Well I heard a tale about monster-trees attacking woodsman once. We definitely have to share some story's at some point, well lets hope that doesn't happen here. They are way to many trees.

Raydine would keep watch, while the others were focusing on the snowman.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In case I can make another one
    Perception: (1d20+1)[16]
    In case I can't it's 2. And Raydine would hold her action I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Erril says to the group, I wonder what playful scamp is making a snowman out in the middle of this dreadful cold.

Upon hearing that magic is detected in the area he recalls talk of the fey creatures and battle that ensued. He is immediately put on alert.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception to find anyone planning to ambush us.
    (1d20+4)[22]

Stampy's is generally under the Defend command (defending Erril) if nothing else was explicitly stated.
    Stampy's Perception to detect threat to Erril.
    (1d20+5)[13]
    This is 8 higher for scent.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano and the cat stare intently at the snowman, the area around the snowman, the air, and the ground. They both are concentrating intently with their arcane senses.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Stepehn just keeps himself centerd on finding out about the magical auras and their possible meaning, especially if they could be a possible threat.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

6. - Top - End - #306

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Stephen just keeps himself centered on finding out about the magical auras and their possible meaning, especially if they could be a possible threat.
    Ok, moving forward...

Round 2:
    Two magical effects around the snowman. Both are faint.

Looking around you count the footprints and note that Majid must have slipped away at some point. He had been muttering something about returning to the desert and now you think you know what he meant. (Sorry Raydine. I know you liked him. I did too.)

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Stephen remains focused on finding out what these auras meant. "I can detect some magical auras. IŽll try to find out more. Give me a bit more time." Stephen requests his teammates.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

8. - Top - End - #308

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Stephen remains focused on finding out what these auras meant. "I can detect some magical auras. IŽll try to find out more. Give me a bit more time." Stephen requests his teammates.
    Stephen and Hatano (plus the cat) study the snowman for another six seconds and then Hatano starts to shrug as Stephen's eyes grow wider.

Spoiler: For Stephen
    Show
    Stephen you detect a Magic Mouth and a Sound Burst, but you don't know exactly what sets them off. The crossbow bolt didn't.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Stephen thinks for a second before deciding how to share the news with his teammates. "Well, I have good news and bad news. One of the two spells might potentially bring us knowledge but... the second spell that can be triggered could be a nasty and loud surprise. What should we do?" Stephen explains.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine looks at the snowman. It seemed to stare, she could definitely do without the thing.

Regarding Stephen's words Hmm… Can we go around it? Or do we have to trigger the spells when we walk past it? Do you know what the loud spell is? Perhaps I can sing it down. Says Raydine not without confidence.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"The only think I want to know is whether killin' these things will bring back summer. And we can figure that out we find them. Let's just go around this obvious trap and hope there aren't unobvious ones around it."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

"I wish I could say but.... I dont know what might trigger them" Stephen admits to the others. "Yes. The second spell is basically a big exploion of sound. The kind that would hurt physically. I suppose we could get around this but considering the danger of triggering it by accident, we should probably try to have the least hearty members to stay back or at least away while we have the most resilient in the group move forward."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, let's try walking around it. I keep ready just in case. Raydine stays close to Hatano when the obstacle is surrounded but keeps readying herself.

Show
    Readying my action to use Countersong, should the boom spell trigger. I use my Perform (sing) roll and anyone can either use they're saving throw or my Perform check against the DC of the spell. (1d20+8)[19]

14. - Top - End - #314

DruidGuy

I agree that we should avoid this.

Erril continues to look for the tracks to follow, giving the snowman a wide berth.

15. - Top - End - #315

DwarfClericGuy

The road is ten feet wide. The snowman is exactly in the middle. So you don't have to touch it, but you have to come within a few feet of it or go offroad into the snowdrifts and trees. Five feet behind the snowman is a frozen stream, 25 feet across, to where the road and the tracks continue.

Please tell me who is moving forward, alone or in a small group, and who is going into the trees or staying back.

Spoiler: Theater of the Mind, Apparently
    Show
    I have an image, but I can only post a URL, apparently, so I need to work on that.

16. - Top - End - #316

DruidGuy

Feeling at home in the wilderness, Erril thinks nothing of going off the trail, through the trees. He and Stampy walk around the snowman, at a distance of 20 feet between them and it.

Assuming they don't die a horrible death from making a poor decision, Erril would like to inspect the stream to make sure it is stable enough to cross and can bear their weight.

Spoiler
    Show

In case Erril's knowledge of nature would be tested...
    (1d20+6)[19]

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Stephen decides to wait it out to see if there is any kind of reaction. There was no point in getting on the line if it meant he could be left in a pretty dangerous position.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine follows Errik and Stampy, staying pretty close to them. Mostly using Stampy's trail that he provides, fixating the snowman as they go.

19. - Top - End - #319

DwarfClericGuy

Nothing happens to Erril, Stampy or Raydine as they leave the road and trudge through the snow. Arriving at the stream, they see nothing of interest, but it would be a Survival roll to see if the ice is safe.

Stephen and Arcatek, watching from sixty feet, see no reaction from the snowman.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing that there doesnt seem to be any reaction. Stephen decides to follow after their teammates. Hopefully, they wouldnt have advanced much.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #321

DruidGuy

Using his wilderness survival skills, Erril checks to see if the ice is safe to cross.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[17]

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano watches as the mammoth and the others push through the snow around the obvious trap. She waits patiently with Stampy to see if any of them die horribly or not. Once it seems safe, she'll follow Stampy as they head over to the frozen creek. If it's safe she'll cautiously advance once the mammoth has gone over; after all, if it can cross, so can she. Probably.

23. - Top - End - #323

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_CoffeeCup View Post
    Using his wilderness survival skills, Erril checks to see if the ice is safe to cross.
    It looks strong on the surface, but it is hard to tell what lies beneath. It doesn't seem very deep though. Stampy would be the most at risk of falling through.

Arcatek follows Hatano up to the group. "Do you have a rope? This unit is the smallest and perhaps lightest, as well as being resistant to temperature. Perhaps this unit is therefore best suited to test the ice?"

Stephen and Erril Info, but everyone can read:
    Spoiler: Arcatek
    Show
    Arcatek is a size small "construct" apparently and refers to itself as a unit and without the standard pronouns. "It" was my original character before the DM vanished. It is highly intelligent, but low on Charisma.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine is somewhat relieved seeing the others also coming towards them, but the river that cuts in they're way may certainly be a problem. And of course brave Arcatek volunteers himself, she gives him a smile.

That's very brave of you Arcatek, but I think I should test it out. The cold doesn't bother me much and I can swim like a fish. Raydine spreads her webbed hands to drive the point home, disappears behind Stampy for a moment to release herself of her armor (while keeping the cold-weather gear) and either takes a rope one of the others has taken with them or gives one end of her whip to Arcatek.

She is concentrated on setting a foot on the ice and then try's to continue at least till the middle of the 25 feet stream when only the whip is available and try's to cross fully if a rope secures her.

Show
    With the whip having a range of 15 feet, even if no one has a rope, I think Raydine should get at least till roughly the middle of the frozen stream. Should she break in, she hopefully can save herself with her natural swim speed.

Edit: Without armor and shield Raydine's AC would be 12, her flat-footed AC would be 10.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-03-16 at 08:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

DruidGuy

My, what a brave bunch. Erril looks at the team, proud to be a member. Feel free to use my rope. He ties one end of his rope around Stampy's midsection and gives him a reassuring pat.

Thinking that this may be a perfect opportunity to ambush the group, he looks across the water to see if there is anyone waiting on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    (1d20+4)[11]

26. - Top - End - #326

DwarfClericGuy

Raydine tests the first five feet of ice...tap, tap, stomp...no problem.
    Raydine tests the next five feet of ice...tap, tap, stomp...no problem.
    Raydine goes a little farther and the ice cracks and crunches. She tries to back up, but is not quite fast enough and she falls into the water.

Let's use initiative for the next part, even though you don't see any opponents. Please state your action, roll any dice, including initiative, handle animal, etc.

Spoiler: Raydine Only. Please nobody else open this for a few days.
    Show
    Raydine thinks that a big chunk of ice is aggressively moving toward her. Please roll a Fort save as well as the above.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Raydine involuntarily crashes into the ice it's damn cold. Bearable but still damn cold.

It seems that she swallows some water and gurgles heavily, trying to get out of the water.

Spoiler: Grgl brpff harglglglgl (DM and anyone who knows Aquan)
    Show
    Hey, are you a buddy or a pal? Could you help me out here? (Diplomacy in case it is a creature that can talk Aquan? (1d20+8)[24])

Spoiler: OOC and Initiative
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[14] Perception: (1d20+1)[20] To see more clearly whats coming towards her.

28. - Top - End - #328

DruidGuy

Oh no!

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20+2)[14]
    The plan is to move 20' back from the ice stream (Move Action) and give Stampy a command to COME to me (Free Action), pulling Raydine out of the water in the process. Erril will also take a look around to see if there was any hostile activity in the area as a result.
    Handle Animal (DC10 for known command)
    (1d20+9)[27]
    Perception
    (1d20+4)[10]

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano watches with surprise as Raydine falls through the ice. She says, "Pull the rope! Get her out, she'll freeze!"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Sephen goes to help and pull the rope to help. "Right!" he replies in agreement to Hatano.

Show

Not sure if I should roll here but just in case. making a strenght roll: (1d20+2)[5]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: